Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial > The Underground Lake

Underground Lake #32 - Hogwarts: Year Seven - Why Go Back?

Old January 10th, 2006, 12:34 am
MuggleNet Editorial

Underground Lake #32 - Hogwarts: Year Seven - Why Go Back?

Discussion for The Underground Lake #32 - Hogwarts: Year Seven - Why Go Back? by Brandon Ford.

My LiveJournal
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2006, 12:59 am
Fourth Year

Re: Underground Lake #32 - Hogwarts: Year Seven - Why Go Back?

nice.

Old January 10th, 2006, 1:06 am
First Year

Quote:
Dumbledore could have easily and silently removed the Petrificus Totalus and Wingardium Leviosa he used to pin Harry to the wall.
This is questionable. While I donít doubt that Dumbledore could pull off a wordless and non- verbal spell he was weak and getting weaker from the essence of death [or whatever] that he took.

Also it is more likely that the message will be at Privet Drive since Dumbledore told the Dursleys he wanted Harry to return there.
Quote:
I think Dumbledore might have left a nice memory in the Pensieve - something along the lines of how he destroyed the ring Horcrux. That, my friends, is how I think the wheels will be set in motion.
I would love that. I was so peed off we never found about this.

Old January 10th, 2006, 1:16 am
First Year

Quote:
However, I think he won't find it. I think Mundungus has already stolen it. We are given that little tidbit in Book Six that Dung has been robbing Number 12. I think they are going to have to track Dung down and get it back.
I saw this and screamed!!!! I've maintained since July that the locket isn't at 12 Grimmauld Place, but with Mundungus, though the location will be significant! And now, support from Brandon???? SWEET! Also -
Quote:
When I reached "Flight of the Prince" and TFPWWNBN's escape, I fell out laughing. Why did I laugh? I could only think of one thing: after all of this death and destruction, after everything that has happened, on top of everything else... THEY STILL HAVE TO FIND A NEW DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS TEACHER!
Slightly cruel, but I laughed too when you said this. And finally -
Quote:
Unless it's Krum, which I think would be funny.
This made my day. How wicked would that be? Can't you see Ron doing a Harry and kissing Hermione in front of everyone because he was so incredibly jealous of "Vicky"? I love it!!!
No, really, lastly - I'm still not sure Harry will go back. I think Hermione will. I think Ron will. I think Harry... might. If he doesn't he'll be visiting quite a bit, to talk to Dumbledore's portrait, and to destroy Voldie's trophy-horcrux (*it IS a horcrux, folks*).

JKR is queen. Have faith. She knows what she's doing.

Well, just another two or three years, guys!

Last edited by DanielRadclif; January 10th, 2006 at 1:18 am.
Old January 10th, 2006, 1:30 am
First Year

very good points...I agree with the ideas about Dumbledore leaving a message for Harry...

but I think we as readers should not forget that Harry Potter is still a "children's book" (even if we so despise that title) and its seems likely
that JKR would send Harry back to school (or "school" him in some sense - like an abroad education) in order to set a good example for children. since harry is like her "baby" (mind child, if you will) then I would think she would very much like to have him graduate "high school"...
just a thought!

-Petey

Old January 10th, 2006, 1:40 am
First Year

everything sounds great. only one problem. they arent going to find out R.A.B. like that. In book 5, on the family tree, it specifaclly says Regulus Black. Not Regulus Augustus Black, or Regulus A. Black, just Regulus Black. They are going to have to find out a different way. MY personal theory is the Reggie is still alive, but we'll see what happens.

Old January 10th, 2006, 1:42 am
First Year

HELLO THERE HOW ARE YOU TODAY!!!

Old January 10th, 2006, 1:51 am
Sixth Year

Great!!!

I too believe that Harry will go back to school.

I may be wrong, but I think Kreacher has the locket in his 'nest'. Mundungus may be a wild goose chase. However, if they visit him, we will get to visit Azkaban!

Harry has to 'dive' into the Pensieve! And talk to Dumbledore's Portrait.

I think we have seen the new DADA teacher before. Or at least heard of this person. I don't think Harry will be the teacher, he hasn't finished school yet. That doesn't mean he is not qualified in this area. We know that he is. Do you think Slughorn might switch over to DADA teacher?

Anyway, I really enjoyed your editorial. Lots of good ideas.

Old January 10th, 2006, 2:19 am
First Year

A somehow shorter editorial than usual Brandon, but nonetheless still effective. And awesome, I love The Underground Lake!

By now I'm quite open to any (new) theories on the what will happen in Book 7. I've accepted what will happen in advance. Not those stupid ones though, like Sirius still being alive. Pfft.

Much love to all of you!!!
Old January 10th, 2006, 2:33 am
First Year

I'm pretty sure that JKR said there will be no new characters in Book 7. So, the new DADA teacher will have to be somebody we've already met.

Old January 10th, 2006, 2:35 am
Second Year

Well, I believe that the new DADA teacher has to be an Auror, AND a traitor! People talk about the pattern of DADA teachers - traitor (Quirrell), ineffectual (Lockheart), good (Lupin), traitor (Crouch Jr.), ineffectual (Umbridge), good (Snape is good and you know it!!), which ends up with traitor! Tonks is my guess. I believe it will be an Auror because the Ministry and parents of the students will want protection at the school.

I also believe that Harry will go back to Hogwarts, despite thinking otherwise when I first read HBP. I thought that Ron and Hermione would return to school (told to by their parents) but Harry would go it alone, living at Grimmauld Place, hunting the Horcruxes, seeing Ron and Hermione at Hogsmeade and in the holidays etc. But then it hit me how rubbish that would be! and how Jo wouldn't do it. So, unless Hogwarts closes (doubtful), the trio will be there. But I think it's safe to say that we'll be getting the most important pre-Hogwarts section of all the seven books, including the final Dursleys, the wedding, Godric's Hollow, Grimmauld Place, which I believe will all happen in the summer.

Old January 10th, 2006, 2:36 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachfulHP88
very good points...I agree with the ideas about Dumbledore leaving a message for Harry...

but I think we as readers should not forget that Harry Potter is still a "children's book" (even if we so despise that title) and its seems likely
that JKR would send Harry back to school (or "school" him in some sense - like an abroad education) in order to set a good example for children. since harry is like her "baby" (mind child, if you will) then I would think she would very much like to have him graduate "high school"...
just a thought!

-Petey

If JKR soul purpose was to set a good example for kids in her book about WIZARDS, then i doubt this series would have made it this far. The kids drink butterbeer, they sneak out of their rooms at night, they drink illegal potions, they steal cars. Going back to school when the fate of the world depends on you to being doing something else, doesn't make sense. School prepares you for your future, right? What future would you have is Voldemort is in control?

Anyway....the editorial.

I thought this one was much better than the last one. I also believe that harry will go back to hogwarts, but not as a student. He needs to gather more information or collect items (ie. the potion book or Dumbledore's "silver instrument from ootp). I think it was very interesting that you mentioned the Pensieve/ancient runes connection.

Also, the locket. I think it is also possible that Kreacher has it. If you recall, when they were cleaning #12 in ootp, Harry said he noticed Kreacher stealing some of what they were throwing away and hiding it from them. So Harry might think Dung has it, when it fact it could be Kreacher....or this oculd easily work the other way. No matter what, Harry is pretty lucky to have at least 1 horcrux in the posession of someone he knows.

Last edited by onemanarmy; January 10th, 2006 at 2:42 am.
Old January 10th, 2006, 2:40 am
First Year

Quote:
Dumbledore could have easily and silently removed the Petrificus Totalus and Wingardium Leviosa he used to pin Harry to the wall.
How? He didn't have a wand? the second he put those spells on Harry Draco dissarmed him.

Old January 10th, 2006, 2:40 am
First Year

let us not forget that Slughorn knows more than most wizards on the street about Horcruxes. After all, he did put Voldemort on the right (wrong) track to developing his own set. between the guilt over his inadvertent education of Voldemort in Horcruxery and the death of Dumbledore, he may likely feel an overwhelming karmic debt to help Harry undo the damage he feels he had caused. I propose that Slughorn will go a long way to helping Harry learn how to find and/or safely destroy a Horcrux.

As for the penseive, I feel it and Dumbledore's portrait will play a major role as already posited in completing the overall picture for Harry. I can envision Harry being called to McGonagal's office to discuss his withdrawal from school. McGonagal is called temporarily away, leaving Harry alone in her office with both the penseive and the portrait. Feeling a little lost and overwhelmed being alone in the office post Dumbledore, he muses aloud about Dumbledore and his absence, and the painting responds whimsically and perhaps with a wink (Dumbledore's style), that while one must not waste away dwelling on the past, a little trip down memory lane now and then can be quite illuminating... light bulbs go on in Harry's head and he does another of his usual illicit penseive dives. He learns some startling things about (choose one) Snape. Voldemort, Dumbledore or horcruxes in general before he is interrupted by McGonagal, as the usual formula goes. He cannot, as per Dumbledore's wishes, reveal his findings to McGonagal, but the incident starts him on his way.

Another thought.. Harry is not the only one in the series with a brain or an inkling as to the importance of his role (if not the full meaning of his role). I expect the Death Eaters, the Ministry and former Order of the Phoenix will all have an interest in keeping tabs on Harry and his goings on and many, if not all, of these parties may well tail Harry or spy on him.

I also believe there is some very strong canonical evidence and indications from reported comments from JKR that the Chamber of Secrets will play a role in the conclusion of this story. During his years as a student, Tom Riddle needed a private place to study and experiment with Dark magic, including learning how to make his initial horcruxes. He didn't learn this from the Hogwarts library, but this may not be the only library at hand. He did not practise the Dark Arts in an empty classrom where he could be discovered. He needed privacy and security to do what he did. Slytherin may well have maintained his own secret library as part of the Chamber of Secrets for the benefit of his impending heir, or alternately, Voldemort may have set up his own library/laboratory there. These kind of resources may be invaluable! Of particualr interest would be learning how exactly Voldemort created the horcuxes.. what spells, potions and resources were involved? How do these factors affect how harry would find and destroy the horcruxes? While Harry does not by any means want to make his own horcrux, it would be strategically important to understand as fully as possible the construction of a horcrux to be able to combat them.

Of course, the other immediate possibility for Voldie's private workhop during his student days is the Room of Requirement. Perhaps Harry, when returning there for his hidden potions book, might discover some interesting items and/or clues there...

So many possibilities, so little solid info!!

Old January 10th, 2006, 2:42 am
Second Year

Quote:
I know this is not one of the main overall points of the editorial, but I was wondering if someone could explain how Dumbledore used both of these spells on Harry on the tower? I was thinking he just did petrificus totalus, but I easily could have missed a crucial word or two that I should have recognized as having been caused by the Wingardium Leviosa spell. Thanks to all in advance.

Old January 10th, 2006, 3:05 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
However, there are wheels in motion and forces at work that will compel Harry, Ron and Hermione to return to Hogwarts.
If Harry does indeed go back to Hogwarts I think there is one major thing people are forgetting about Hogwarts in general. Hogwarts is probably one of the safest places in the whole of the wizarding world with or without Dumbledore. I think the only other safe haven Harry would find is if he went into Hogwarts and locked him self away in one of the vaults. Hogwarts has its own magical protection and with all those underage wizards and house elves Harry has himself a pretty good army.
HOWEVER, I think that the death of Dumbledore in book 6 signals Voldemort's plans to lay seige to Hogwarts. hagrid once said the onyl reason Voldemort had never tried it before was because of Dumbledore so did anyone ever stop to think that part of the reason Voldemort wanted Dumbledore out of the way was so that he could have acess to Hogwarts?

"Mr. Moony presents his compliments to Professor Snape, and begs him to keep his abnormally large nose out of other people's business."

"Mr. Prongs agrees with Mr. Moony, and would like to add that Professor Snape is an ugly git."
"Mr. Padfoot would like to register his astonishment that an idiot like that ever became a professor."

"Mr. Wormtail bids Professor Snape good day, and advises him to wash his hair, the slimeball."
Old January 10th, 2006, 3:10 am
First Year

Have I told you lately that I love you?

Old January 10th, 2006, 3:49 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatriceblake
Also it is more likely that the message will be at Privet Drive since Dumbledore told the Dursleys he wanted Harry to return there.
I don't know about a message from Dumbledore, but I'm hoping for a heart-to-heart with Aunt Petunia. I know there's so much she could tell Harry about his mother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachfulHP88
British schools don't require any education after GCSE (OWLS) and they have no formal graduation like American schools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFireboltXx
everything sounds great. only one problem. they arent going to find out R.A.B. like that. In book 5, on the family tree, it specifaclly says Regulus Black. Not Regulus Augustus Black, or Regulus A. Black, just Regulus Black. They are going to have to find out a different way.
Harry may look at the Black family tapestry and remember Sirius telling him about his Uncle Alphard who left him enough gold to buy his own house. He (or Hermione or Ron) may put that together with Regulus ... Regulus Alphard Black. I don't think it's Augustus even though the Lexicon briefly published the name as Regulus Augustus Black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy
I think it was very interesting that you mentioned the Pensieve/ancient runes connection.
Reminder ... Hermione mistranslated that all important rune on her OWL. Afraid that may be critical.

Enjoyable editorial as always, Brandon. I do admire your single-mindedness regarding Harry seeing Ginny all dressed in her bridesmaid finery and Harry unable to resist getting back with her. Nice romantic scenario. No matter what, Ginny is either going with Harry or going to follow him.

Old January 10th, 2006, 4:09 am
Sixth Year

I think Tonks would make a suitable DADA teacher...she fits the profile.

I also think Harry will go back to the school...but I don't think it will be the same...and quite possibly not for any kind of schooling. I think if Harry goes back, there's a very real possibility that the MOM will close Hogwarts as a school and open it as a place of refuge, or it will become the defacto headquarters of the Order. I don't know how Fidelus charms work when the Secret Keeper dies, but presumably the spell that was hiding it is now gone, and therefore the house is plottable again and will either need to be rehidden before they find it, or will be open and available to the "dark side" to search. It's quite possible they have gotten to it before the Order has and Harry will have to order someone like Kreacher or ask Dobby to sneak in and look for the locket.

I'm also unsure about what kind of contact Dumbledore will have with Harry. If there's one maddening thing about the last book, or all the books for that matter, is the level of secrecy that comes with everything. NOBODY shares any kind of information with anybody, unless it is absolutley necessary. But if there's one thing we've seen about Dumbledore, he always gives people just enough info to get them where they are going. I don't think he would have left anything to chance regarding filling in Harry with the information he needed to defeat Voldemort. I think we have all the pieces of the puzzle, we just haven't been able to see what the final picture is going to look like, and therefore, have been unable to put all the pieces together.

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Old January 10th, 2006, 4:26 am
Sixth Year

Well, didn't JKR say there would be no more new characters so the new DADA teacher has to be someone we've already met. I like Tonks too but why would she stop her Auror duties to go to teach, unless Scrimgeour fires her for being loyal to Dumbledore (and linked to a werewolf...)?

Good editorial! I like the reasons you gave for Harry returning. JKR said we would see Krum again though I don't know when she made that statement and the reference to Hermione writing to him in book 5 may have been it. But... it would be interesting if he were to come back on the scene. I can't imagine McG giving him the DADA post. Perhaps the real Moody will finally teach!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial > The Underground Lake