Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

A Late-Blooming Witch / Wizard v2

Old January 19th, 2006, 4:55 am
Hogwarts Graduate

A Late-Blooming Witch / Wizard v2

No spoilers are allowed in these areas. Please make sure you've read our Deathly Hallows Conduct Notice!

A late blooming Witch/wizard

Last edited by gertiekeddle; July 23rd, 2007 at 9:17 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2006, 5:39 am
Second Year

Re: A late blooming Witch/wizard #2

Vernon is my no.1 choice for the late bloomer. It would solve all the problems between Harry and the Dursleys. In my view, Jo will not leave Harry and the Dursleys estranged at the end of the series, despite Harry wanting to see the back of Privet Drive and the Dursleys praying that they never set eyes on him again. For some reason it would just be wrong if there was still hatred between them. It wouldn't be a good conclusion.

So, I believe that something will happen at the start of book 7 (maybe Privet Drive attacked by DEs on the stroke of midnight on Harry's birthday) that will put Vernon and his family in danger and he will suddenly do magic to protect Dudley and Petunia. Maybe Harry gets knocked out or paralysed and Vernon grabs his wand, the only thing there to defend himself, and he'll say 'Abracadabra!' because it's the only magic word he knows and somehow it will cast the Avada Kedavra... OK, that last bit is crazy, but the general idea is something I would like to happen.

Old January 19th, 2006, 5:43 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Cartman
It would solve all the problems between Harry and the Dursleys.
I don't think she wants to resolve the problems. I think JKR wants them as an example of unpleasant muggles and poor parents (and a dysfunctional family). The Weasleys are her example of a loving family and good parenting.

Sometimes dreams do come true
Old January 19th, 2006, 5:44 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Cartman
Vernon is my no.1 choice for the late bloomer. It would solve all the problems between Harry and the Dursleys. In my view, Jo will not leave Harry and the Dursleys estranged at the end of the series, despite Harry wanting to see the back of Privet Drive and the Dursleys praying that they never set eyes on him again. For some reason it would just be wrong if there was still hatred between them. It wouldn't be a good conclusion.

So, I believe that something will happen at the start of book 7 (maybe Privet Drive attacked by DEs on the stroke of midnight on Harry's birthday) that will put Vernon and his family in danger and he will suddenly do magic to protect Dudley and Petunia. Maybe Harry gets knocked out or paralysed and Vernon grabs his wand, the only thing there to defend himself, and he'll say 'Abracadabra!' because it's the only magic word he knows and somehow it will cast the Avada Kedavra... OK, that last bit is crazy, but the general idea is something I would like to happen.
Well that's imaginative, but I hope not. Also, I think JKR has stated that both Vernon & Dudley are just muggles, so I believe we can rule them out as well. I've always thought it will be Mrs. Figg.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old January 19th, 2006, 5:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl
Well that's imaginative, but I hope not. Also, I think JKR has stated that both Vernon & Dudley are just muggles, so I believe we can rule them out as well. I've always thought it will be Mrs. Figg.
Me too. I think there will be an attack on or near Privet Drive and Mrs. Figg will help.

Old January 19th, 2006, 6:33 am
Fourth Year

Here is the crazy twist, what if Dudley is the late bloomer. Obviously there is some genetic trait floating in the Evan ancestory, so the possibility of this being accurate is quite plausible!!

Old January 19th, 2006, 6:43 am
First Year

I want to say Aunt Petunia but I believe JKR has ruled that out but said there is something funny about her. I bet she was so jealous of Lily being a witch, she stole her wand one day and tried to do magic with it but failed miserably. James and Lily or whoever else probably saw her and then made fun of her and that is why she dispises magic and everything to do with it.

"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."

-Albus Dumbledore
Old January 19th, 2006, 6:51 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlove1
Here is the crazy twist, what if Dudley is the late bloomer. Obviously there is some genetic trait floating in the Evan ancestory, so the possibility of this being accurate is quite plausible!!
JK Rowling said that Dudley is just Dudley. There isn't anything more to him than we've already seen.

I'm leaning more towards either Filch or Mrs. Figg.

Madison & Isabelle

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters.
Old January 19th, 2006, 7:09 am
Second Year

Let's organise this:
We only know a few characters who can't do magic: the Dursleys, Ms Figg and Filch.
JK said that the Dursleys were total muggles, so we'll better rule them out... we've only got the two squibs left, which is not really surprising, right? after all, squibs live in a magical environment and have grown up listening to spells and watching other people performing magic.
So I think it will be Ms Figg... in an attept to protect someone, probably. I just don't get who would Filch be so desperated to protect as to use magic, though, of course, we don't know in what situation they are going to use magic.
But I somehow feel I'm missing something, these characters seem so obvious... too easy to guess, right? we can only choose between Filch and Ms Figg, it doesn't sound like the sort of hint JK usually gives. I don't know, maybe it's just that I've got used to very complicated theories and i'm all paranoid now XD

Join Harry Potter Enchanted

Madam Pomfrey is the real hero!
Please, excuse my English, I'm not a native speaker
Old January 19th, 2006, 7:49 am
First Year

I agree with most of you. EIther Figg or Filch.

However, isn't this theory based on a interview she gave almost 7 years ago in 1999? What if she wrote that out of the book?

Old January 19th, 2006, 8:51 am

Exactly. I raised that same issue in the last thread. We hang obsessively on her every word, but we also have to understand that the series grows and evolves all the time.

Old January 19th, 2006, 10:03 am
First Year

i think that anut Petunia may actually be a quib, that could be a reason for her hatred of magic and her sister, she's jelous cause lilly is a wizard and she wasn't.

Mindwipe; creator of the impervious curse

'you feel powerless to resist'
Old January 19th, 2006, 10:19 am
Seventh Year

Can someone tell me- did JKR ever say this late bloomer was going to be an important character, I expect they will be, but it could just be some more backstory of something.

Old January 19th, 2006, 1:09 pm

No she did not.

Old January 19th, 2006, 1:29 pm
First Year

non-magical people:
vernon dursley
petunia dursley
dudley dursley
mark evans
mrs figg
archus filch
parents granger
aunt marge
ted tonks
one of the student`s dad --worded in the books and in the movie (dean, seamus?)

Old January 19th, 2006, 1:36 pm

Barnes and Noble interview, March 19, 1999Will there be, or have there been, any "late blooming" students in the school who come into their magic potential as adults, rather than as children?
No, is the answer. In my books, magic almost always shows itself in a person before age 11; however, there is a character who does manage in desperate circumstances to do magic quite late in life, but that is very rare in the world I am writing about.
Ok this was almost seven years ago. And it sounds like a one-shot minor event, even if she does still use it.

Old January 19th, 2006, 2:14 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm
I think there will be an attack on or near Privet Drive and Mrs. Figg will help.
I did notice that at Albus's funeral, both Squibs are mentioned, but only Mrs. Figg is deliberately noted as "Arabella Figg, Harry's Squib neighbor". (underlining mine)
Quote:
Ok this was almost seven years ago. And it sounds like a one-shot minor event, even if she does still use it.
Good point. She was still writing GoF at that point, and PoA still hadn't been released (though it must have been in the hands of the publishers by then...PoA was released 08 July 1999, less than four months after the interview--or am I wrong and she was still tweaking it at that point? There were fewer security issues back then, and fewer copies printed in initial runs. The US version wasn't released until October 1999.). Maybe she had thought back then that Mrs. Figg would have a greater involvement in the OotP dementor attack? [But it complicated matters overmuch?]

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs
Old January 19th, 2006, 2:17 pm

I hadn't thought about Figgy and the Dementors. That makes a lot of sense. Besides it was more dramatic for Harry to get in trouble for using the Patronus, and for Figgy to be a questionable witness.

Old January 19th, 2006, 2:21 pm
Eldest Gruff

Ah - really a good point. I didn't get that the late-character probably is no longer hidden yet. Mrs Figg seems to be the best guess resp. she is definately someone we didn't expect (or did we...?) belonging to magical world. Maybe JK was thinking just of that in her reply.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old January 19th, 2006, 2:29 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
it was more dramatic for Harry to get in trouble for using the Patronus, and for Figgy to be a questionable witness.
Though we may never be certain of it if JKR doesn't say so...and nothing turns up in Book 7!

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies