Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

A Late-Blooming Witch / Wizard v2

Old January 19th, 2006, 3:09 pm
Second Year

Re: A late blooming Witch/wizard #2

Ok this has gone on too far. The interview was in 1999 for goodness sakes. But if we were to consider anyone that this discription fits unfortunately we havent been introduced to them yet. The Dursley are all muggles, Filch and Figg are squibs and thats it. Hagrid could fit the description since he is not supposed to use magic but does occasionally.

If I was to choose someone - looking back at 1999, I would have guessed Petunia - who knows what she would be capable of to protect her little "Dudders"? She seems to have some knowledge of the wizarding world from her sister and brother in law.

It is probably likely that she dropped this person or the idea because it didnt fit or went off story line.

It would be a bit funny to see the office of magical enforcement scrambling at a "magic in front of muggles" alarm for someone they didnt even know could do magic. Ha!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2006, 3:57 pm
First Year

Jo recently said in her FAQs on her website that the "late-bloomer" will NOT be Aunt Petunia.

"It was... the difference between being dragged into the arena to face a battle to the death and walking into the arena with your head held high."
Old January 19th, 2006, 9:16 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADAteacher
The Dursley are all muggles, Filch and Figg are squibs and thats it.
Since they are squibs they are from magical families. This makes it more likely that one of them will be the one to use magic in desperate circumstances. They are not major characters.

My vote goes to Mrs. Figg.

The Holy Bible: King James Version. 2000.

The Book of the Prophet
Isaiah
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old January 19th, 2006, 9:20 pm
First Year

I think it's going to be Filch. Jo leaves clues throughout all the books, and in COS, Harry sees that Filch has been using the correspondence school Kwikspell to try to learn magic.

Old January 19th, 2006, 9:22 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm
Ok this was almost seven years ago. And it sounds like a one-shot minor event, even if she does still use it.
I think that she meant Mrs. Figg to have a bigger part in OotP, and that's what she was referring to in that quote. She was still writing PoA at that point, and surely her idea's tweak themselves in her mind.

Old January 19th, 2006, 11:05 pm
Sixth Year

Filch/Figgy

Sure, it may have been back in '99, but when was the final chapter written?

It's indirect evidence, but I don't think Ms. Rowling would have bothered replying about Petunia if it weren't still part of the plot.

Figgy? At the moment of the dementor attack, she didn't have a wand-and a Patronus is very advanced magic. I'd lean to her. And remember, we don't know all of the technicalities of the protection that Dumbledore evoked. It could be that Harry is only protected while he is inside the house--and no one else (Ron or Hermione) is.

Filch--it could be him, in the event of an attack on Hogwart's Castle. It would be interesting to see his personality shift if he weren't bitter towards students because he was a failed wizard.

Happy Holidays to All!

Happy Christmas!
Old January 20th, 2006, 1:06 am
I want to believe

Since JKR has said that Petunia won't be doing magic at any point, my guess for the late-blooming witch/wizard is Mrs. Figg. She's a character we've already been introduced to, and I think it would be really interesting if she was able to do magic at some point. Also, it would be funny if Filch was able to perform magic, because I can imagine all the revenge he'd be able to get on the students if he could do magic.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old January 20th, 2006, 1:52 am
Second Year

I vote for Filch -- JKR seems to have already set him up for learning magic in Chamber with the "Quick Spell" course.

Uh oh, looks like my signature is demonically possessed again. Better than no message at all, though!

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.

Old January 20th, 2006, 2:26 am
Second Year

What about the Prime Minister?

Of course, we might learn that someone had in the past done a piece of magic at one time.

Old January 20th, 2006, 2:50 am
First Year

I would really like it to be Filch. I really feel sorry for him. He must be so miserable being around a bunch of kids who can do magic and play tricks on him all the time.

Filch's Revenge Hahahahaha

Old January 20th, 2006, 8:22 am
Fourth Year

You've convinced me, it's Arebella! But to all those still questioning wether or not it's Petunia, JKR officially ruled her out on 12/25/2005 on her website in her rumor section. And to the others saying that this is not a significant point, we have to remember that if JKR inforces something or make a comment very clear, she means it and she wants us to remember it. Also, she has always had the whole general conception of the entire series since she released the Sorceror's Stone. I really don't think shes taken us this far with this notion, even squashed one character from being the suspect, to just commonly throw it out of the last book! No, infact, I think that whomever it is, *cough,cough, Arebella* they will pinpoint a defining moment in the final book.

Old January 20th, 2006, 8:34 am
First Year

I just thought of something. What if it was Merlope? She was practically a squib because she feared her father, and then after he was sent to jail she was able to preform more magic.

Old January 20th, 2006, 8:39 am
Fourth Year

I truly think she would be referencing someone who was still alive, but that would definitely be a strange twist!

Old January 21st, 2006, 7:51 am
Fifth Year

I don't think there will be any late blooming witches or wizards. I think that if you don't show magic during your early years, it is probably because you don't have magic in you.

Here lies Dobby, a free elf.

"That wand's more trouble than it's worth, and quite honestly, I've had enough trouble for a lifetime."
Old January 21st, 2006, 11:13 am
First Year

I think it will be Filch defending Mrs Norris from Voldemort. The sight of only person he ever cared for being in danger would awaken hidden powers in him

Just kidding. I think that if such a character appears (which would be nice from the point of view of worldbuilding) it could well be someone mentioned just in passing, not an entirely new person, but not one of the main characters either.
Only... I don't see a character like that. Most of the non-magical characters we know do play certain roles in the plot. Mrs Figg could be one but I think she already had her great moment (surprising us with her being at all involved in the wizarding world). The Dursleys are, I think, out of question (wasn't it suggested by the author herself?) and so are, I believe, Hermione's parents who are completely outside the wizarding world. That leaves a bunch of minor characters (with Mark Evans ) and - well, Aunt Marge?

So... well, I woul;d be nice to see such a character but as for me, I can't think of anyone suitable

Old January 21st, 2006, 11:02 pm
First Year

recently, on JKR's website, she shredded the rumor that Petunia was the 'late-bloomer'. I think it is highly unlikely that Vernon is the LB, as *to our kowledge*, he had no blood connections with the Wizard World. I believe the late bloomer is... TRELAWNEY! nowhere in the six books have we witnessed Trelawney preform what we might call usual magic (none of this Divination rubbish counts)

Old January 21st, 2006, 11:52 pm
Sixth Year

Ok so who do we have that at the moment can not do magic and could become our late bloomer, i think a list is in order.

1. Mrs Arabella Figg
2. Mr Argus Filch
3. Mr Vernon Dursley
4 Mr Dudley Dursley
5 Mr or Mrs Granger. (i have put them together as they are bother very in the background characters but you never know)

Those are the five thati can only think of but if i have missed anyone out do let me know. I would have liked to have put Petunia in there and at one point i was dead set it would be her but JKR has slashed her out of the list after her message to say she has never done any magic and never will.

The only people i would think it would fit into the story line would be one of the Dursleys, i can't see as much point for any of the others.
My reason or them is that i think there may be a battle at the beggining of book 7 and one of them would release powers they thought they had not got.

What about this though: The reason why Vernon hates the magical folk is that he is a squib! The fact that he couldn't be magical turned him against all magic folk and tryed to wipe the situation from his mind completly but then comes along Harry and with him around bad memories arise.

What do you all think?

Old January 22nd, 2006, 12:19 am
Second Year

Except that if vern was a squib, Merge would likely be a witch (squibs are very rare...)

Old January 22nd, 2006, 2:13 am
Third Year

Filch is the only charafter foreshadowed to bloom, what with the Quickspell correspondence and all. However, he allied himself with Umbridge when Dumbledore had to leave Hogwarts which makes him a little more on the evil side of life.

So my guess would be Figgy. She sided with Dumbledore and the Order of Phoenix. So she has earned the magic moreso than Filch.

Old January 22nd, 2006, 2:31 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Cartman
Vernon is my no.1 choice for the late bloomer. It would solve all the problems between Harry and the Dursleys. In my view, Jo will not leave Harry and the Dursleys estranged at the end of the series, despite Harry wanting to see the back of Privet Drive and the Dursleys praying that they never set eyes on him again. For some reason it would just be wrong if there was still hatred between them. It wouldn't be a good conclusion.

So, I believe that something will happen at the start of book 7 (maybe Privet Drive attacked by DEs on the stroke of midnight on Harry's birthday) that will put Vernon and his family in danger and he will suddenly do magic to protect Dudley and Petunia. Maybe Harry gets knocked out or paralysed and Vernon grabs his wand, the only thing there to defend himself, and he'll say 'Abracadabra!' because it's the only magic word he knows and somehow it will cast the Avada Kedavra... OK, that last bit is crazy, but the general idea is something I would like to happen.
that is the single coolest theory ever! lol Uncle vernon shouting "Abra Kadabra!" and killing a Death Eater! absolutely fantastic. I would love that.

Dumbledore's man through and through

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies