Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

A Late-Blooming Witch / Wizard v2

Old January 22nd, 2006, 2:13 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: A late blooming Witch/wizard #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleDiva
Filch is the only charafter foreshadowed to bloom, what with the Quickspell correspondence and all.
But at the end of HBP, we are specifically reminded that Arabella is a Squib, and though we see Filch we are not reminded that he is one, too.
JKRwebsite, Extra StuffSQUIBS
I have been asked all sorts of questions about Squibs since I first introduced the concept in ‘Chamber of Secrets’. A Squib is almost the opposite of a Muggle-born wizard: he or she is a non-magical person born to at least one magical parent. Squibs are rare; magic is a dominant and resilient gene.

Squibs would not be able to attend Hogwarts as students. They are often doomed to a rather sad kind of half-life (yes, you should be feeling sorry for Filch), as their parentage often means that they will be exposed to, if not immersed in, the wizarding community, but can never truly join it. Sometimes they find a way to fit in; Filch has carved himself a niche at Hogwarts and Arabella Figg operates as Dumbledore’s liaison between the magical and Muggle worlds. Neither of these characters can perform magic (Filch’s Kwikspell course never worked), but they still function within the wizarding world because they have access to certain magical objects and creatures that can help them (Arabella Figg does a roaring trade in cross-bred cats and Kneazles, and if you don‘t know what a Kneazle is yet, shame on you). Incidentally, Arabella Figg never saw the Dementors that attacked Harry and Dudley, but she had enough magical knowledge to identify correctly the sensations they created in the alleyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_falls_down
that is the single coolest theory ever! lol Uncle vernon shouting "Abra Kadabra!" and killing a Death Eater! absolutely fantastic. I would love that.
Are you sure he won't try "mimble-wimble"?

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2006, 3:45 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole
Are you sure he won't try "mimble-wimble"?

Thanks for making the Squib thing a little more clear to us all!

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old January 26th, 2006, 3:53 am
Second Year

LoL! Mimble-wimble! What would be even more impressive would be if he were to pick up Harry's wand ... period. I can't see Vernon doing that. Even if it was the only piece of wood in a house and he thought he might be able to light a fire with it, he wouldn't touch it. Sorry. I'm voting against it being Vernon, purely on the grounds that the universe would implode if he tried to do magic.

I also don't think it will be Arabella or Filch. I'm not very comfortable with the phrasing which was used. "...there is a character who does manage in desperate circumstances to do magic quite late in life, but that is very rare in the world I am writing about." 'Desperate circumstances?' Like, life and death circumstances? I'm sure whoever this is talking about we will find out in Book 7. But I still stand by my thought that it will not be Filch or Figg. Oh, and the reason why Figg was mentioned as a squib in HBP but Filch wasn't would likely be that we are reminding of Filch being a squib in *every book* ... why would she rub it in now? It's not an important bit at this point. Since Figg hasn't appeared too much in the stories until recently, we have to be reminded who she is.

Undrhil

Wolf. I like my solitude. Take this quiz!

My new music video. Ron and Hermione - Everything I Do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzlQgNBNCs8

I resisted Lord Bunnymort and all I got was this stupid sig line.
Old January 26th, 2006, 4:19 am
Second Year

Re: Filch/Figgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgoRetla
Sure, it may have been back in '99, but when was the final chapter written?
It's indirect evidence, but I don't think Ms. Rowling would have bothered replying about Petunia if it weren't still part of the plot.
That's exactly my thinking. JKR has been very carefull to be fair in her comments; if the late blooming 'wizard' wasn't still part of the plot, I think JKR would have said so when she responded to the speculation about Petunia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgoRetla
Figgy? At the moment of the dementor attack, she didn't have a wand-and a Patronus is very advanced magic. I'd lean to her. And remember, we don't know all of the technicalities of the protection that Dumbledore evoked. It could be that Harry is only protected while he is inside the house--and no one else (Ron or Hermione) is.
Filch--it could be him, in the event of an attack on Hogwart's Castle. It would be interesting to see his personality shift if he weren't bitter towards students because he was a failed wizard.
I've had similar thoughts about Filch, it would be interesting to see if his character would change. But he seems so persistently nasty, I kind of doubt it. I lean very much towards Mrs. Figg. Of course, like many, I thought Petunia was the logical choice until JKR squelched that idea.

Old January 26th, 2006, 4:19 am
First Year

well filch has been taking kwikspell.. and he works at the school so u never know... i would burn the book if filch did magic... well maybe just the page.. or the sentence.. whoknows...

... the war was raging all around luna... she had done pretty well for herself thus far... she turned to find another death eater and found one at once... it was bellatrix lestrange... she pointed her wand at luna and yelled "AVADA KEDAVRA". it happened in an instant... out of nowhere a large animal jumped in front of the curse... it couldnt be thought luna... it was, it was a crumple horned snorcack...
Old January 26th, 2006, 6:05 am
Fourth Year

That is a pretty funny scenario! Old Vern, hero to the mass!!!!

Old January 28th, 2006, 6:10 am
Fourth Year

You guys have to keep this thread alive!!!!!! It has one of the best written theories that I have seen in a while

Old January 28th, 2006, 10:14 pm
First Year

I have to wonder if it might not be Filch or ever Hermione's parents. I truly think Hermione will help Harry in this final book even to the point that Hermione will be placed in danger and perhaps her parents may be the only ones to help her. If not that than I can see it being Filch and an attack being on the school and he step up and help out in the battle. Who knows, but this is really interesting to think about.

Old January 29th, 2006, 3:37 am
Fifth Year

We know of one witch who showed powers late....Merope. She seems pretty desparate to get out of the house and have the love of her life (Tom Riddle)

Old February 14th, 2006, 10:15 am
First Year

Is Aberforth a wizard? He's been a barman for years. That's not very ambitious for a wizard.

Old February 14th, 2006, 6:14 pm
Second Year

Re: A Late-Blooming Witch / Wizard v2

My first thought was Aberforth as well, though either Filch or Figg would also be good choices. Someone else has come to mind though. Someone who is desperate to save her son and who we've never actually seen do any magic. Narcissa Malfoy. Draco is going to be in trouble no matter who he runs into, Voldemort won't be happy with him and the Ministry isn't going to be happy with him. Why isn't Narcissa a Death Eater herself? Could be the reason is that she's a squib. Would Lucius marry a squib? I think he might if she came from the right family and had money. People like Lucius are never short on hypocrisy. How ironic would it be if Narcissa's first and only act of magic in her life is to kill Voldemort in order to save Draco, now that would be good in so many ways.

Old February 28th, 2006, 12:01 am
Second Year

I would go with Filch as it could answer something I've wondered about for ages.

Namely, what is Filch's function as a character? Why have him be a squib? Granted, the role of the obstreperous, suspicious, mad-with-limited-power character is well filled by him, but I feel like there has to be something more to him and Mrs. Norris. Perhaps they're included as they are as a nice plot detail, but there seem to be few things in the series that are just plot details.

We've seen that he still desperately wants to do magic (didn't Harry find a Learn Magic Yourself kinda brochure in his chamber that time?), and despises the fact that all the students are far more able than he, so perhaps a bit of foreshadowing lies therein.

I guess what I understand least is why Dumbledore employed him (though I feel I may have read an explanation somewhere involving a relative of his. . . Anyone know?). It seems that his job could be so much more easily accomplished by anyone with magical ability.

Well I dunno, i'm becoming less convinced of my argument as I write it out. Anyway, my vote's for Filch.

"I have no time to explain now. It is a thrilling tale, I wish to do it justice."
Old February 28th, 2006, 1:42 am
First Year

Later in life seems to me to mean substantially older. I would go with Filch or Mrs. Figg, if there something still to come. As JKR says in her interviews she has completely redone characters or deleted some that don"t work in the context of her story as the writing progresses.

Old February 28th, 2006, 1:42 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeelos
My first thought was Aberforth as well, though either Filch or Figg would also be good choices. Someone else has come to mind though. Someone who is desperate to save her son and who we've never actually seen do any magic. Narcissa Malfoy. Draco is going to be in trouble no matter who he runs into, Voldemort won't be happy with him and the Ministry isn't going to be happy with him. Why isn't Narcissa a Death Eater herself? Could be the reason is that she's a squib. Would Lucius marry a squib? I think he might if she came from the right family and had money. People like Lucius are never short on hypocrisy. How ironic would it be if Narcissa's first and only act of magic in her life is to kill Voldemort in order to save Draco, now that would be good in so many ways.
Narcissa Malfoy is definitely not a squib because she is still on the Black family tree. One of the people who was blown off of the tree was removed because he was a squib. Since Narcissa remains on the tree, she is not a squib.

Old February 28th, 2006, 2:30 am
First Year

I believe that the late bloomer was already found out in the 6th book, Merope Gaunt

Old February 28th, 2006, 4:06 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouterpuff
I believe that the late bloomer was already found out in the 6th book, Merope Gaunt
though she wasn't a late bloomer in the sense that she discovered unknown magical ability later in life, she just got better when the other Gaunts weren't around making her life miserable.

"I have no time to explain now. It is a thrilling tale, I wish to do it justice."
Old February 28th, 2006, 9:45 am
Banned

Didn't JK say that Filch's Kwikspell course never worked (sorry, I don't have the actual quote).

But even if the course didn't work, that doesn't totally rule out his performing magic later in life.

Old February 28th, 2006, 1:22 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonna
Narcissa Malfoy is definitely not a squib because she is still on the Black family tree. One of the people who was blown off of the tree was removed because he was a squib. Since Narcissa remains on the tree, she is not a squib.
What a pity. I liked the idea of her being a squib.

Old February 28th, 2006, 8:24 pm
First Year

Quote:
though she wasn't a late bloomer in the sense that she discovered unknown magical ability later in life, she just got better when the other Gaunts weren't around making her life miserable.
all JKR said was that someone will learn magic late in life under desperate cirumstances

Merope Gaunt didn't use or learn any magic until late in her life when her father and brother were gone

She was known as a squib, but then started to use magic, it's the perfect example of a late blooming witch

Old February 28th, 2006, 8:28 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouterpuff
She was known as a squib, but then started to use magic, it's the perfect example of a late blooming witch
I don't really agree that she was known as a squib. Her father told her so, but he wasn't fair. Nontheless you're right that her magical power seemed to controlled by her emotions (before an after leaving her house) in a high levelt way.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies