Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

A Late-Blooming Witch / Wizard v2

Old February 28th, 2006, 10:23 pm
First Year

Re: A Late-Blooming Witch / Wizard v2

i just don't think we should be looking for another case like merope to come, it's not exactly what we wanted for the late blooming witch or wizard, but i think we'd be dissapointed if we look for another to come in book 7

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2006, 11:25 pm
Second Year

I disagree. If JKR said there will be a late blooming wizard or witch, I'm inclined to think there will be.

I really don't think Merope fits that as she went the other way once she met Tom Riddle and stopped using magic entirely. You could be right, but I interpret JKR's quote differently.

"I have no time to explain now. It is a thrilling tale, I wish to do it justice."

Last edited by jaan; March 1st, 2006 at 2:01 am.
Old February 28th, 2006, 11:40 pm
Second Year

When was the quote from JK said? Maybe it was talking about Merope. I'm inclined to think it was.

Old March 1st, 2006, 4:16 am
Third Year

Re: A late blooming Witch/wizard #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole
Are you sure he won't try "mimble-wimble"?
Isn't 'Mimble-Wimble' an actual spell in the Chamber of Secrets video game? I remember it was a spell to confuse your opponent so that they are unable to perform their next spell properly. Vernon muttered 'Mimble-Wimble' under his breath and Hagrid was unable to perform his next spell properly. He tried to turn Dudley into a pig, but only managed the tail.

But because the spell is only mentioned in the video game, I am more inclined to believe that it didn't mean anything. I'm not sure if Jo has had any input in the video games. The creators may have just seen 'Mimble-Wimble' in Philosopher's Stone and thought that was a good idea for a spell without realising what it might imply.

Madison & Isabelle

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters.
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:44 pm
First Year

That's a good point. I hadn't really pieced together that she could have been talking about Merope.
But I still lean to the idea that it means someone else. I was thinking of 1 of the 2 kids taken to the cave by kiddiemort. They would be getting to be late in life, if still alive, and they would know of magic from their encounter. Someone suggested on another thread that one could actually be R.A.B., which I like, and if so they would have probably met with a witch/wizard. Maybe they'll make a reappearance in the final book and something will happen to bring magic out of them...?

Old March 1st, 2006, 12:57 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Merope was always a witch, just not a good one. That isn't the same thing as being late blooming.

Sometimes dreams do come true
Old March 1st, 2006, 1:09 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm
Merope was always a witch, just not a good one. That isn't the same thing as being late blooming.
Thank you for posting that. I was trying to explain the differents, but just didn't find the right words. It was her family, who called her being no witch.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:37 pm
First Year

Quote:
Thank you for posting that. I was trying to explain the differents, but just didn't find the right words. It was her family, who called her being no witch.
well, it would be the same thing with another person, if they were a squib. if a wizard or witch that was believed to be a squib did magic, then that person was never really a squib. the way that JKR wrote about merope was probably a way to throw us off so people like us would make boards about a late blooming witch or wizard and she could have another good laugh at us missing another thing that was right in front of us

Old March 1st, 2006, 11:05 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouterpuff
the way that JKR wrote about merope was probably a way to throw us off so people like us would make boards about a late blooming witch or wizard and she could have another good laugh at us missing another thing that was right in front of us
One point for you.

I've had just problems with the fact that Merope actually was none. Her family called her a squib and I just don't want to agree to anything the Gaunt's told.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 7:29 pm
First Year

I think the best candidate now that Petunia is ruled out, is Mrs. Figg. I don't think Merope's situation is really what J.K.Rowling was hinting at, but I could be wrong. I don't think a Filch with powers would neccesarily be a good thing, especially now that Dumbledore is gone. Figg definitely seems to be the most deserving person in the series to develop powers. She would also be the most helpful. I had really wished that Petunia would be the one, but I am certain Rowling has an even more entertaining twist for us.

Old March 28th, 2006, 1:55 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthbeauty1
I think the best candidate now that Petunia is ruled out, is Mrs. Figg. I don't think Merope's situation is really what J.K.Rowling was hinting at, but I could be wrong. I don't think a Filch with powers would neccesarily be a good thing, especially now that Dumbledore is gone. Figg definitely seems to be the most deserving person in the series to develop powers. She would also be the most helpful. I had really wished that Petunia would be the one, but I am certain Rowling has an even more entertaining twist for us.
But, both Filch and Figg serve a purpose...and that purpose is acheived without the aid of magic. One of them demonstrating magic now would come out of left field...and there are plenty of other characters that Rowlings could use to proform the needed magic to move the story along. I think if any person would demonstrate magic now who hasn't in the past, it would have to help move the story along in a big way...and in a way that its not the type of magic preformed, but the actual act of performing it that is important.

Old March 28th, 2006, 4:11 am
First Year

I think the key to this one is dementors. I'd love to think Dudley was the late bloomer, but we know he didn't see them. The same is true with Figg, and I believe they said the same about Filch in book 3? Who's this leave? I immediately think the Dursley's, Petunia seems cliche, so Vernon?

Old March 28th, 2006, 4:36 am
First Year

YES!! Mimble-Wimble!! Vernon casts Mimble Wimble; it causes all these HUGE explosions, lightning, and other manefestations of high energy, to cover the battlefield, revives Harry from unconsciousness, Makes him exponentially more powerful, gives him super-speed and strength, the ability to shoot lasers from his eyes, and new spells. And makes him 15 times taller than Voldy, and summons a superpowerful army of Pygmy Puffs led by the also powered up Ginny.
Wow, it would be so extremely sad if this were true.

As for the late Bloomer, it will most likely be someone trying to protect Harry from an attack, like Figg. I don't think it is Merope because she's dead. So far Figg is the most likely.

A Day In My head, and a warm welcome to...
MY WORLD!!!
Flute Says Hi!!!

Last edited by Saxophute; March 28th, 2006 at 4:41 am.
Old March 28th, 2006, 6:33 pm
First Year

But Figg couldn't see the dementors...

Old March 28th, 2006, 6:56 pm
First Year

Hey has no one considered Petunia? There have been several discussions involving her and who [i]really[i] made Marge explode. And it very well could have been Petunia, at least partially. Remember, the Ministry can't detect who did the magic, only where magic was used. Also, Petunia is LIly's sister, Lily being not only a great witch, but also the greatest potions maven of her time! Could Petunia really have escaped the magical genes completely? Or is she just hiding something? She was, in fact, part of a spell that kept Harry under her roof for years.

Old March 28th, 2006, 7:10 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by merope123
Hey has no one considered Petunia?
Yes. Thousands of times. But Jo herself has recently definitely killed that theory on her own site, section rumours. That's why you don't see much of Petunia in this thread anymore.

Old March 28th, 2006, 7:59 pm
Second Year

Jo ruled out Petunia and Dudley but as someone suggested above; Vernon has not been ruled out yet. It would be ironic if he "bloomed later in life" because he detests magic even more than Petunia.

Old March 28th, 2006, 8:13 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBadger
When was the quote from JK said? Maybe it was talking about Merope. I'm inclined to think it was.
I would absolutely agree. The question that leadto the late in life magic response was something along the lines of: Does all magic show up before 11?

And she responded that yes it does... but there is one character who will show magical abilities late in life...

This sounds to me like a way of not countradicint herself later when asked if Magic shows itself before 11 why was Merope thought to be a sqib and then was able to do magic when she was older.

I don't think this particular comment was ment to be some sort of teaser from JK... it just doesn't feel that way to me... I think she was refering to Merope.

Old March 28th, 2006, 9:52 pm
Seventh Year

Merope was a witch - Marvolo just called her a Squib to taunt her. She had a wand and was doing magic, if not very well. I also don't consider 18 to be 'quite late in life', I think it'll be someone who is at least 40.

Old March 28th, 2006, 11:24 pm
First Year

Which also qualifies Vernon again.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies