Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial > Spinner's End

Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old January 26th, 2006, 6:36 pm
navygreen  Female.gif navygreen is offline
MuggleNet Editorial
 
Joined: 3449 days
Location: Bellevue, Nebraska
Age: 34
Posts: 0
Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?

Discussion for Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed? by Lady Lupin.

(Old discussion of this article can be found HERE.)


__________________

My LiveJournal

Last edited by navygreen; January 26th, 2006 at 6:43 pm.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old January 28th, 2006, 3:13 pm
Harry_the_Cat  Female.gif Harry_the_Cat is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3190 days
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Age: 33
Posts: 2
Re: Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?

"Again, the thing that troubles me about this theory is why did Dumbledore decide it was time to sacrifice himself? I believe that Dumbledore would lay down his life to save Harry’s, Snape’s or anyone else’s without a moment’s consideration. But why did he decide in advance that this was the best course? I don’t feel satisfied with any answer to this yet."

--> it's a very good point

Great editorial!


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 28th, 2006, 4:51 pm
Sillypuss  Female.gif Sillypuss is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3233 days
Age: 36
Posts: 19
Re: Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?

I'm pleased to see you have got your own column at last!! Well done!


You have put alot of thought into this, however I disagree with the Spinners end chapter, I think Snape seems to be the one in control of the whole situation.


Also I dont think Dumbledore did plead for his life, I think he was speaking so that Snape would sent the curse towards him. But as we know it takes real meaning to make it work. I dont think Snape meant it and therefore the curse did not work. Leaving Dumbledore able to 'slowly fall' out of site. We already know that Dumbledore can do magic without a wand. The whole situation here was manipulated and well thought out. I also think this is what they had the heated arguement about. I wouldnt be suprised if this was also on purpose to incriminate Snape in Harry's eyes. Does anyone really believe Dumbledore doesnt know everything that goes on in his school. I'm sure he'd be well aware of Hagrid, and known he'd tell Harry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_the_Cat
"Again, the thing that troubles me about this theory is why did Dumbledore decide it was time to sacrifice himself? I believe that Dumbledore would lay down his life to save Harry’s, Snape’s or anyone else’s without a moment’s consideration. But why did he decide in advance that this was the best course? I don’t feel satisfied with any answer to this yet."

--> it's a very good point

Great editorial!

I dont believe Dumbledore has chosen to die, I think everything in HBP is a set up for people to believe that Dumbledore himself is dead. Dumbledore knows this is the only way Voldemort will come into the open, he will perhaps start to get reckless now, since he has only ever feared Dumbledore. As we know recklessness often leads to capture or destruction! However I'm sure that Voldemort will now drop his defence against Harry, as he no longer fears Dumbledore. So we will probably see alot more of Harry's bad dreams and visions. What interests me is how Prof Trewlawny is seen as a bit batty for her visions and yet Harry seems to have a bit of 'seer' in him because of the mind link.

This leaves Dumbledore free to search for the remaining Horcruxes without disturbance.


__________________
And there we have it...my opinion!

Last edited by Sillypuss; January 28th, 2006 at 4:54 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old January 29th, 2006, 1:24 am
lanie lanie is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3024 days
Posts: 0
Re: Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?

Good editorial.. interesting point of vew..Dumbledore's choices i do see that this is the "goodbye" year, and if snape did tell him.. then it's not his choice.. an unbreakable vow involves the death of the one who breaks it.. so it's not like he had a choice once the vow was taken.. and i don't think that he trusts snape based on one of theese vows. because it's so not DD's style, force someone into vowing they're sorry at the cost that they might die if they're not? would he really do that? i don't think so.. it does raise the question.. why does voldemort not use this vow with his servants? vow eternal obidience and shall you ever break it die.. that sounds like voldie.. hmm one wonders..
as for weather snape was feeling hatred towards the situation or towards CC.. i wouldn't know...
i have a thing for hating snape.. simply because he didn't grow up! i absolutley dispise people who live traumatized by high school issues.. oh i was teased. oh i wasn't invited to the prom oh i was so alone..my family was a mess well bo hoo .. grow up.. whose isn't???? i honestly don't think theres one human being that can look back and say that it was all perfect during those days!I think what you say about the book being written so that it can be interpreted in the way that matches your will or desire to be brilliant, good snape, evil snape, complicated snape they all have good foundation.. i stand with the unforgiving and hope he meets a nasty end..


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 29th, 2006, 3:02 am
Noodan  Female.gif Noodan is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3400 days
Location: Listening to The Cat Empire
Age: 25
Posts: 35
Re: Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?

hey great editorial~.. ^_^

what i have to say is not really related to you editorial, but to some of the first few comments on the earlier thread.

a few people used the argument that DD could have just jumped off the tower himself, that way he is saving Snape or Draco the pain of having their soul ripped in two. They said that if DD new he was going to die, he shouldn't have brought another down by making them kill him...

Morally, i agree with this. But if DD committed suicide, the UV would not have been fulfilled, and Snape would have died.

Its like if someone asks you to go pick an apple of a tree and eat it. But as soon as you reach out for the apple, it falls off onto the ground. Even if you still pick it up and eat it, you haven’t done what they asked. Even though DD would have been dead, Snape didn't do what he asked of. Though only way to save Snape was for him to kill DD.

I would like to believe that DD could still be alive, but if he is.. then, again, Snape wouldn't have done what he was asked.. and Snape will die.. and i think Snape is important in book 7.. therefore.. he won't be dead... yet..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypuss
Also I don’t think Dumbledore did plead for his life, I think he was speaking so that Snape would sent the curse towards him. But as we know it takes real meaning to make it work. I don’t think Snape meant it and therefore the curse did not work. Leaving Dumbledore able to 'slowly fall' out of site. We already know that Dumbledore can do magic without a wand. The whole situation here was manipulated and well thought out. I also think this is what they had the heated argument about. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was also on purpose to incriminate Snape in Harry's eyes. Does anyone really believe Dumbledore doesn’t know everything that goes on in his school. I'm sure he'd be well aware of Hagrid, and known he'd tell Harry..
he.. interesting idea.. but why would they want to incriminate Snape in Harry's eyes?


__________________
<3
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 29th, 2006, 5:02 am
Marie0903  Female.gif Marie0903 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3184 days
Location: Chicago
Age: 50
Posts: 105
Re: Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?

Great editorial! I'm glad to see that you have your own column!

The recurring mention of the Bones family throughout the series has always caught my attention. I agree with you that they will play a part in book 7, and have a connection to the Hufflepuff cup. I believe that Amilia was in possession of the cup and Voldemort wanted to gather the remaining Horcruxes knowing that the diary was destroyed. You're right in saying that this will make it even more difficult for Harry to locate and destroy them, especially if another Horcrux was made. I have all the confidence that Harry and Co. can do this and survive. Wishful thinking? Maybe, but I'd love a happy ending!!


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 29th, 2006, 2:29 pm
Sillypuss  Female.gif Sillypuss is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3233 days
Age: 36
Posts: 19
Re: Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodan
....................interesting idea.. but why would they want to incriminate Snape in Harry's eyes?
Because Harry had to believe that Snape was a traitor for Snape to be fully accepted back into Voldemorts inner ring once again. None of the Death Eaters are going to doubt Snape's loyalty now! The whole tower inccident was a stage act by Snape and Dumbledore, there is even slight evidence that they communicated with their minds, when they looked at each other.

Also had Snape really killed Dumbledore wouldnt this be destroying what he has said to do, protecting Draco??? Dumbledore is Draco's only hope at being saved.

Don't you find it strange that Snape knew Harry had been in the tower with Dumbledore that night? To me the whole cave situation seemed as if Dumbledore had been there before, I wouldnt be suprised to find out that he had only taken Harry to ensure that Harry was out of the castle when this happened and to make sure he was in the North Tower to witness events later.


Also if you need any further evidence of whose side Snape is on, at the end when Harry is chasing him; Snape stops the Death Eaters cursing him and gives him a warning about closing his mind!


__________________
And there we have it...my opinion!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 29th, 2006, 10:07 pm
Harold_Podder Harold_Podder is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3002 days
Posts: 0
Re: Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?

Excellent article, however, i think you are forgetting one important factor. Severus Snape, regardless of his faults or virtues, is now and has always been a Slytherin. When Snape arrived at the astronomy tower, and saw Dumbledore laying there, he (snape) knew that it was more than likely that Dumbledore probably wouldn't live out the night. Snape, being a Slytherin, could very well have taken one look at the situation, and realized that there is only one thing that he could do now to survive. Had Snape not killed Dumbledore on the tower top, then he would have died, plain and simple. Either the unbreakable vow would have kicked in, or he would have tried defending the headmaster, at which time the DEs would have kicked in and killed him. I don't think that even snape would be able to duel with three fully accomplished DEs, a werewolf, and possibly Draco, and have survived to help the Order downstairs, though i'm sure that he would have, as Harry said "taken as many with him as he could." I think that the Slytherin desire to survive kicked in at that point, and he did what he needed to, even if the thought of doing it disgusted him.

Mind you, that's just my opinion, i could be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypuss
I dont believe Dumbledore has chosen to die, I think everything in HBP is a set up for people to believe that Dumbledore himself is dead. Dumbledore knows this is the only way Voldemort will come into the open, he will perhaps start to get reckless now, since he has only ever feared Dumbledore. As we know recklessness often leads to capture or destruction! However I'm sure that Voldemort will now drop his defence against Harry, as he no longer fears Dumbledore. So we will probably see alot more of Harry's bad dreams and visions. What interests me is how Prof Trewlawny is seen as a bit batty for her visions and yet Harry seems to have a bit of 'seer' in him because of the mind link.
.
Interesting view Sillypuss, however there is one major problem with it. JKR has said that she doesn't want people to die in these stories, just to come back to life again. it sets an unrealistic view on death and she dislikes stories that do that. I agree with your statement that one must truely want to commit an unforgivable curse for it to work, but i doubt that Snape would have any problem with that. As far as Snape is concerned, Dumbledore is dead whether he pulls the trigger or not, and his desire to survive gives him the strength to be the one to do it. I think that the slow motion fall from the tower was put in there as nothing more than dramatic effect, and also to ensure that Dumbledore's body is found by Harry first, as Harry wouldn't have had time to linger on the tower top, AND chase down Snape, and Harry would have had to be one of the first on the scene to ensure that he was the one who found the fake horcrux.

but again, that's just my opinion, i could be wrong


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 30th, 2006, 3:09 am
jonquest jonquest is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3002 days
Posts: 0
Re: Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?

I'm new to these boards and actually JUST finished reading HBP this week... (it was a gift so I had to wait till I actually got it to read it). Anyway, I was wondering... has anyone thought of the idea that perhaps Dumbledore drank the Horcrux and that's why he needed Snape to kill him? It may be a bit farfetched, but I think there may be some merit. My thought is that Dumbledore knew what he was getting into when he went for the Horcrux in the cave, Snape is the only other person he told because it was the only way to destroy that particular horcrux and the plan would also get Snape in closer to Voldemort. Now this is just an initial thought after reading the book just once through and finishing it only last night... so there are probably quite a few holes in that idea (like what's the necklace from R.A.B. about then?) but I still think the "Dumbledore drank the Horcrux" idea gives proper motive to Dumbledore and Snape. Dumbledore didn't want Snape to save his life, he didn't beg Snape to save him, he begged Snape to finish him. What do you think? I haven't had any way to read all the posts since this book came out, so I don't even know if this idea has been thought of before and discussed already. If it has, send a link to that post. I'd like to know what anybody thinks of this.


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old January 30th, 2006, 5:24 pm
Sillypuss  Female.gif Sillypuss is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3233 days
Age: 36
Posts: 19
Re: Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold_Podder
.....Interesting view Sillypuss, however there is one major problem with it. JKR has said that she doesn't want people to die in these stories, just to come back to life again. it sets an unrealistic view on death and she dislikes stories that do that. I agree with your statement that one must truely want to commit an unforgivable curse for it to work, but i doubt that Snape would have any problem with that. As far as Snape is concerned, Dumbledore is dead whether he pulls the trigger or not, and his desire to survive gives him the strength to be the one to do it. I think that the slow motion fall from the tower was put in there as nothing more than dramatic effect, and also to ensure that Dumbledore's body is found by Harry first, as Harry wouldn't have had time to linger on the tower top, AND chase down Snape, and Harry would have had to be one of the first on the scene to ensure that he was the one who found the fake horcrux.

but again, that's just my opinion, i could be wrong

Yes, I too had heard her say that, however I agree with her I don't think anyone should come back from the grave. However since I don't think Dumbledore is dead it does not effect my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquest
............has anyone thought of the idea that perhaps Dumbledore drank the Horcrux and that's why he needed Snape to kill him? It may be a bit farfetched, but I think there may be some merit. ........ Dumbledore didn't want Snape to save his life, he didn't beg Snape to save him, he begged Snape to finish him. ....

hello and welcome to the boards!

This is the first time I have heard this suggestion, however it's my opinion that the Horcrux was not the potion, infact I think part of the cave scene was simply to get Harry out of Hogwarts so the Dumbledore's plan could go ahead without interferrence.(I got the feeling Dumbledore had been there before!)

We know that Dumbledore knows Draco is after him. Also Snape knew Harry was in the tower, he was in on the whole plan. However I do agree that Dumbledore was pleading for Snape to go ahead with the curse but not for the reason you have given. I think his Death was staged so that Snape could go into deeper 'spy' mode and that Voldemort would come into the public again thinking that Dumbledore was dead. Since we also know that it takes true meaning to make an unforgivable curse work, I don't think that Snape put the meaning into to making it work. This left Dumbledore able to float down from the tower (we see him hang suspended and then float downwards - this hardly sends like a blast and fall!). Also had Snape killed Dumbledore he'd be destroying Draco's chance of being saved, so I don't even think the unbreakable vow comes into play hear either.


__________________
And there we have it...my opinion!

Last edited by Sillypuss; January 30th, 2006 at 5:33 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old January 30th, 2006, 8:55 pm
raBBit  Female.gif raBBit is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3004 days
Posts: 4
Re: Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?

great editorial again!

dumbledore may choose to die inorder to prevent other deaths(like Snape, Harry, Narcissa or Draco). if Snape hasnt done that not only these people would be dead but also there would be more attacts to school inorder to kill DD or maybe other student like Crabbe or Goyle could have been chosen for this mission (which means more death) i also agree with Sillypuss that he might want Voldemort to think that he is dead so he can come up and "relax" that greatest wizard ever has died...

i dont think DD has plead for his life...he just wanted to be sure Snape is doing it...come one we know DD has mentioned a lot at the end of OoP and HBP that "...there are worst thing on earth that death..."(which Voldy couldnt realised yet, in DDs opinion)...so he wasnt afraid of death, he might chose it

Quote:
But as we know it takes real meaning to make it work. I dont think Snape meant it and therefore the curse did not work. Leaving Dumbledore able to 'slowly fall' out of site...
well i think Snape meant it....remember the "hate and revulsion".... severus having an abusive father and a restless, lonely childhood, joining Death eaters(and seeing more horrible things, living on the line) made his life worse than anything. DD believed and trusted him, gave him a house and respected him as a wizard might be considered as a fatherly figure for Snape. he was lovely,helpfull, respectful, trusty and cared (maybe for the very first time) for him; unlike the ones he has around for all through his life(like death eaters). so it must be hard for him to kill a "beloved" one like that while he thinks he finally have someone to trust in his life...to be honest i would hate DD for making me do such a thing

if you ask me it was a planned death...and the murderer must be Snape...the other members of DD also knew it...Snape has to be near Voldy for the last battle, in order to survive till the last one(since he is a double you can not be sure that noone is gonna kill him)

i dont know, i got the imression that Snape has done alot and he was VERY brave while he was killing(!) DD, so he got so mad and yelled at harry
"DONT...CALL ME COWARD"...at leats everything has been done to protect harry and help him to reach the "target" safely....thats just what i think


Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old February 2nd, 2006, 12:33 am
potions_mahster  Female.gif potions_mahster is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3004 days
Location: Oregon
Posts: 0
Re: Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?

Really good Snape analysis, glad both sides could be seen, but I have something to add (and I've been longing to say this).

(spoilers, though)

The reason Snape has "revulsion and hatered etched in the harsh lines of his face" is simple! He is preforming an illegal curse! Bellatrix Lestrange proves this in OotP:

"Never used an Unforgivable Curse before, have you, boy? You need to mean them, Potter! You need to really want to cause pain — to enjoy it — righteous anger won't hurt me for long — I'll show you how it is done, shall I?"
-Chapter 36, Page 810

Snape is completely focused on preforming the Avada Kedavra and his face not only convinces the death eaters that he hates Dumbledore (which he doesn't) but is just displaying what he is feeling. I also believe the theory that Dumbledore was begging Snape to kill him and it was clearly a planned death. Furthermore, I don't see the Snape-not-on-anyone's-side-and-just-in-it-for-himself theory as valid. What can Snape get out of it? And why would he go through all that work just for himself?

Maybe I'm just a Snape fan.



Last edited by potions_mahster; February 13th, 2006 at 3:03 am.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old February 2nd, 2006, 1:53 am
kaye60cc kaye60cc is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2999 days
Posts: 0
Re: Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?

what a fine and thought provoking post. i especially liked your comments about snape being angry at harry's "coward" jibe. this, more than anything tells me snape is on the good side. after all his work and sacrifice it is, indeed, rubbing salt into the many wounds.


Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old February 2nd, 2006, 7:46 am
plainlypotter  Female.gif plainlypotter is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3191 days
Location: southern california, usa
Age: 66
Posts: 89
Re: Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquest
I'm new to these boards and actually JUST finished reading HBP this week... (it was a gift so I had to wait till I actually got it to read it). Anyway, I was wondering... has anyone thought of the idea that perhaps Dumbledore drank the Horcrux and that's why he needed Snape to kill him? It may be a bit farfetched, but I think there may be some merit. My thought is that Dumbledore knew what he was getting into when he went for the Horcrux in the cave, Snape is the only other person he told because it was the only way to destroy that particular horcrux and the plan would also get Snape in closer to Voldemort. Now this is just an initial thought after reading the book just once through and finishing it only last night... so there are probably quite a few holes in that idea (like what's the necklace from R.A.B. about then?) but I still think the "Dumbledore drank the Horcrux" idea gives proper motive to Dumbledore and Snape. Dumbledore didn't want Snape to save his life, he didn't beg Snape to save him, he begged Snape to finish him. What do you think? I haven't had any way to read all the posts since this book came out, so I don't even know if this idea has been thought of before and discussed already. If it has, send a link to that post. I'd like to know what anybody thinks of this.

Welcome- nice to have new people and ideas in the forums

Like sillypuss I haven't heard this theory before but like sillypuss I don't think the horcrux was part of the potion. I think the potion was just another protector of the horcrux, and I think the basin refilled itself after anyone tried to take the horcrux. it seems that JKR has only shown that a horcrux is solid ,not liquid. So far we have seen, a diary, a ring, and a locket, and DD suggest that the other horcruxes are Nagini (solid), the cup (solid) and some unknown artifact ( presumably solid). But like everyone else here in the forums I may be wrong , we'll just have to wait and see.

I do agree that DD was begging snape to kill him, but I don't think it was planned in advance. I think DD knew he was dying, knew that snape had agreed to the unbreakable vow, and knew that if snape didn't kill him that Harry would know that he was the one who had caused DD's death by forcing him to drink the potion. JKR made it clear that there were some poisons that didn't have an antidote, and I think the one he drank was one of them. I don't think DD would want harry to carry that guilt around with him as he carried the guilt of sirius' death after OotP. That said I want to make it clear I am not a snape is good advocate, rather I am a snape is practical advocate. Look at the scene from snape point of view - he has taken the unbreakable vow for whatever reason ( personally I got the impression that he was sort of tricked into it while trying to find out what it was that draco had to do) so if he doesn't kill DD he, snape will die from the effects of the vow, If snape is killed then there is no one to brew the antidote to the potion assuming there is an antidote so DD will die anyway, and without snape killing DD draco will be killed as well. All in all the only practical thing is for snape to kill DD as he has no real choice in the matter he was damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

My take is that DD silently allowed snape to kill him (afterall we know that wizards can cast spells without wands and can cast them silently and even in his weakened condition, DD would have been a formidable enemy) he did this with the priviso that he now had a debt to protect harry in DD's stead. That certainly would account for the look of revulsion on snape's face when he Ak'd DD as well as the reason he "teaches" harry what he must learn to do in order to vanquish LV, and why he just doesn't take harry to lv when he's got him down on the ground and harry is helpless. Of course if snape heard the whole prophesy (which I suspect he did) he may have done all of the above in order to insure that harry does away with lv , and leave the path to ruling all the wizarding world to him as he aalready knows that harry is no match for him. ahhh you have to hand it to JKR she has left so many avenues open that until she finishes book seven and it is released sometime next year (I hope) we will all be batting this around in the forums


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old February 3rd, 2006, 8:22 pm
knightlybus  Female.gif knightlybus is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3183 days
Location: Spinner's end
Posts: 24
Re: Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?

I do believe that Dumbledore is dead. I think that Snape is on the good side. Snape wouldn't completely duel with Harry. Snape instead, gave Harry advice "'Blocked again, and again, and again until you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter!'". I think that when Snape says 'He intends me to do it in the end' he is refering to Dumbledore. I think that Voldemort did confide in Snape of the plan and he in turn confided in Dumbledore and that that was when they made their agreement. Dumbledore and Snape could have made an unbreakable vow themselves if Snape was reluctant in killing Dumbledore. I feel this is why he doesn't hesitate to make a vow with Narcissa (until the mention/ reminder of killing Dumbledore). But if Dumbledore and Snape had made an unbreakable vow, who bound them?


__________________
if you know better, you do better
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old February 12th, 2006, 6:48 am
thewidowblack  Female.gif thewidowblack is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3180 days
Location: the wrong side of the veil
Age: 36
Posts: 0
Re: Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?

What happened to the original discussion of this editorial?


Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old February 12th, 2006, 2:05 pm
BublGumPnkHar's Avatar
BublGumPnkHar  Female.gif BublGumPnkHar is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 3365 days
Location: Florida -best time of the year
Age: 69
Posts: 980
Re: Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewidowblack
What happened to the original discussion of this editorial?
If you go to post #1 of this thread (top of the page) you will find the link to the original discussion. Enjoy.


Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:36 pm
FayoraTetra  Female.gif FayoraTetra is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3233 days
Age: 25
Posts: 0
Re: Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?

my theory about vance and her death;


why did snape have to ask bella if she may have "guessed". would not the dark lord have told the others about how this death came to be? from what draco says DE do receive recognition for destruction of enemies...

would voldy have also proclaimed this to his constituents? or at least let his inner circle know and praise snape in front of everyone (as snape is his pet..or so bella says.)? praise from the dark lord is a great way to get people into action (envy, jealousy, power- he offers power and recognition to those who do him right- hence why he applies to so many)

so wouldn't he have done so? he gave wormtail (even if wormtail didn't understand the significance) some praise and even told the other DE about it. He dishes out punishment easily but success is also rewarded- most of the DE (sad to say) are slytherins and I don’t think they would cooperate so well if he didn’t give them something in return. Praise from one of the most powerful wizards and feeling like your on his good side is something that any slytherin would want (look at slughorn with his powerful friends).

i found it rather fishy that snape had to make sure she had made the connection....

why couldn't he say "as you know" (DL likes to make competition in his ranks…its gets things done. Bella vs sev, peter vs barty- voldy thrives on bad vibes and feelings cause he can’t understand feelings of love and loyalty)

we know snape loves to gloat and he’s also a slytherin that takes opportunity when it comes. Wouldn’t he have told her about this sooner? Or won’t she have confronted him about it as he was the spy? i think snape is slick and good with word usage. hes also a slytherin that lives up to his name

i mean there are aurors looking all over the place for a load of escaped death eaters- this does not exclude those in the order (and there are a good amount of them in the order when you think about it). one of them was bound to die at the hands of a death eater and the DE knew that they would come for them.

i think snape is just using a situation to his advantage as he knew she had been in the order and she had been an auror. he is a slytherin.

you also have to consider the fact that if bella were to approach the DL and ask him about the matter he may have smacked her around for being a fool for not having figured it out if snape had purposely done it. either that or he would have cursed her for suggesting that the DL hadn't been the one responsible for the death. either way she would get clocked for questioning him.

how can she verify this info? it seems like a nice little set up for snape. many aurors looking for escaped DE's and one in the order dies (there are a lot of them after all)

Meh…maybe I’m reading too far in…but I just thought it was fishy is all. And slug all through the book showed how much he loved his pets showing that slytherins value powerful friends that praise them and remember them. hence why a slytherin is a slytherin- remember the words of the sorting hat.

Or perhaps in slytherin
You’ll make your real friends, (make as in use perhaps??)
Those cunning folk use any means (people and situations included)
To achieve their ends


Voldy would use this as a tactic to keep his followers. Lucius showed (in book 2) that he has ties with voldy and that he’s very powerful and high up in the circle even with voldy gone. Draco did the same when he went to the alley in book 6.

So he would take time to pit the DE against each other. That means he would have praised snape to get the other DE going and working for praise themselves…

Maybe I’m off my rocker…

i'm freezing my fingers off...curse IL and its horrible winter weather....::shiver::

great article btw. interesting read.

i also like the talk going on in here too. sorry i didn't add this in the last topic post. ^_^


Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old April 20th, 2006, 10:49 pm
The_Descendant  Female.gif The_Descendant is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3104 days
Location: Loony world!
Age: 24
Posts: 34
Re: Spinner's End #2 - Severus Severed?

I love this editorial! It's my favourite coloumn too! I did find a lot of my answers answered! Before, I just hated Snape cos he was Snape! And now, I think I've got a reason to hate him, like him, and hate-like him! It's great and it goes with my theories about Snape too!


__________________
" ...with one sharp look, she killed him with her gaze..."
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old May 19th, 2006, 6:31 am
SIR_ARKTARAKAR SIR_ARKTARAKAR is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2893 days
Posts: 0
Why Dumbledore might have wanted to die.

According to you , Dumbledore had decided that it was time for him to go.
Well, I've got one reason why he may have decided that it was time for him to let go.
He says in HBP that he didn’t care about so many nameless, faceless people dying in the future, if at that point of time he didn’t have to terrify Harry with the truth.

Maybe he realized that as long as he lived he’ll always care about Harry and save him from danger. But, that would not save have saved the world. Because, according to a lot of people, probably Harry himself needed to die (after a lot of pain and suffering) in order to kill Lord Voldemort.

So, Dumbledore conceived the perfect plan. “Let Snape kill me. It’ll save Draco, Snape and Lucius give Harry more reason to fight Voldemort and ensure that Harry fights his own battle.”

Dumbledore probably understood his own weakness, he loved Harry too much to see him die (or maybe he didn’t even want Voldemort to die? Tom Riddle was Dumbledore’s student after all.). He probably understood that Harry had to be alone to be able to fight his own battles.


__________________
Sir Arktarakar
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial > Spinner's End

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 4:05 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.