Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Family & Parenting

Breastfeeding

Old February 16th, 2006, 7:43 pm
Third Year

Breastfeeding

Thread Rules1. Please treat other members with respect. There will be no bashing of other members or their ideas. If you disagree with somone please do so without condescension or bickering.
2. Staff reserves the right to ban members from this thread either permanently or temporarily if we feel they are not following these rules. You will be given a warning via owl or via official warning points before you are asked to leave the thread.

The Official Staff Monitor for this thread is Jessica. If you have any questions about the thread or would like to discuss a specific problem please owl them directly. Please be aware that other staff members will also be monitoring this thread. If you are warned by another staff member, as always contact them directly or contact an Admin.

Recently in the UK a programme was on entitled "Extraordinary Breastfeeding". It featured women who breastfeed their children long past the “normal” age to stop – 2, 4 and even 8 in one case. It also covered issues such as breastfeeding in public. The children were mostly fed on demand, and one couple featured had had a night out by themselves only twice since the birth of their twins a little over two years ago due to them being breastfed. They decided to wean the twins off the breast during the programme though, and although it caused some tantrums at first, they eventually settled down, and all they seemed to miss was the closeness they shared with their mother whilst feeding.

One couple had been trying to adopt a baby for three years, and the mother had continued to breastfeed their son so that she could breastfeed the new baby. Her son was 4 by the time the adoption process was completed and the new baby refused the breast entirely, although it wasn’t for lack of trying on the mother’s part. I thought it was a bit unrealistic for the mother to expect an 18-month-old child to take to the breast of a stranger right away though.

My Opinion: Personally, I’m all for breastfeeding and I don’t see why mothers shouldn’t be able to do it in public, but I don’t agree with doing for as long as the mothers featured in the programme do. Most doctors recommend breastfeeding until the child is at least 6 months, but should be continued until the child is a year old, and I personally don’t think that the child actually needs the milk after that. After all, a child is getting nutrition from solid food at this point, and would usually only get a formula feed once or twice a day. I do believe that breastfeeding beyond this point is more about comfort than anything else, and this can easily be given with cuddles and affection. I also believe a mother needs her freedom, a chance to go out and enjoy herself every once in a while, or even just relax in a bubblebath, and that’s hardly practical if you have a child demanding access to your breasts all the time. Not to mention the fact that she has to deal with all the night feeds!!

The Questions:

1. Do you/would you breastfeed your child?

2. Do you think it’s fair to the mother to breastfeed for an extended period of time?

3. When do you think is the right time to wean a child off the breast?

4. Do you think that older children actually need the breast milk, or do you think it’s more of a comfort thing?

5a. Do you think mothers should be allowed to breastfeed in public?

5b. If you answered no to question 5a, can you give your reasons why it shouldn’t be allowed?

5c. If you answered yes to question 5a, why do you think others don’t agree with it?

6. What do you think of shops/restaurants that have no feeding room and instead tell the mother to feed the child in the ladies toilets?

Last edited by Jessica; June 3rd, 2006 at 7:52 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2006, 3:51 am
Curse Breaker

Re: Breastfeeding

Yes I did. The older was 3 1/2 and the younger was 2.
2. Do you think itís fair to the mother to breastfeed for an extended period of time?

Yes I do...there are health bennifits for both child and mother. There is extreem casses of brest cancer in my family. Brest feeding is bennificial for the mom who has cancer in her family.

When the child and mom are ready, not before that. Stopping brest feeding can trigger post-pardum in a mother if she is not ready to stop.
4. Do you think that older children actually need the breast milk, or do you think itís more of a comfort thing?

My first couldn't tollerate regular milk over an extended time. On the thrid day of drinking regular milk her would get violently ill. so fo me there was a need to keep the kid healthy.

I do think for infants and babies yes...but for toddlers...you can always freeze and carry the bottle. Most public do frown on public feedings of older babies.
5b. If you answered no to question 5a, can you give your reasons why it shouldnít be allowed?

5c. If you answered yes to question 5a, why do you think others donít agree with it?

6. What do you think of shops/restaurants that have no feeding room and instead tell the mother to feed the child in the ladies toilets?

I find it horrible...Would you like to eat in the toilet? I think not. There should be a spot for a mom and baby to feed and not a toilet.

Old February 17th, 2006, 4:12 am
Fifth Year

Questions:

Well, seeing as I'm a guy, I wouldn't because I physically can't. On the other hand, I would really encourage my future children's mother to do it. I think it's really healthy for the child to be breast fed, it's nature's way of protecting the little baby's body from germs and disease.

2. Do you think itís fair to the mother to breastfeed for an extended period of time?
Only if it starts being uncomfortable for her. I wouldn't know, the last time I had contact with a woman breast feeding was when my mom had my sister, and I was 6 at the time. i think a woman should be able to go out at night and enjoy herself.

Between 8 months and a year. Because usually, by that time they can have solid food and cow milk and not throw up.

4. Do you think that older children actually need the breast milk, or do you think itís more of a comfort thing?
I don't think they need it, it's not like it's all the nourishment they get. Breast milk (or formula) is all a baby gets, older children can live without it and be perfectly healthy. And I don't see why it would be a comfort thing.

Of course it's a natural process every mother has to go through. Even if she doesn't breastfeed her child, she'll have milk inside her breasts, and that's completely natural. I think she might as well use it.

5b. If you answered no to question 5a, can you give your reasons why it shouldnít be allowed?

5c. If you answered yes to question 5a, why do you think others donít agree with it?
Because it's a natural process vaguely related to sex. I think this makes it a taboo in people's heads.

I think they're out of their minds. After all, it's not like women breastfeeding their babies are doing anything dirty or offensive.

Old February 17th, 2006, 4:31 am
Seventh Year

If I have children, yes, I would breastfeed.

Depends on how long. I think 6 months is long enough. It is not so much a matter of what is fair to the mother but what is healthier for the baby.

When he or she starts growing teeth.

No, I don't think older children need breastmilk. In my culture (Italian) some women breastfeed until the child is 5! I don't see how it helps them in any way though.

I have have to say I am bothered by women who breastfeed in public.

To me, it is like walking around with your breasts exposed. It is simply not decent. You say it is natural, well, going to the bathroom is natural, and we don't do that in public! Wearing clothes isn't natural, yet we do that.

Well, that's sad, especially if there's a long wait for the toilet, but I suppose not all restaurants or shops have the money to build a separate feeding room.

Old February 17th, 2006, 4:34 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I don't know, I'm still a bit too young to make such a decision. However, I've always felt more comfortable with the idea of bottle feeding. That and it allows the father to help which benefits both parents.

2. Do you think it’s fair to the mother to breastfeed for an extended period of time?

It depends. As Emma pointed out, there are benefits. However, the idea of an 8 year old breastfeeding is a bit strange. After all, the child would be in about 3rd grade by then.

It all depends upon the situation as every one is different.

4. Do you think that older children actually need the breast milk, or do you think it’s more of a comfort thing?

Again, it depends, something Emma's post made clear.

I don't know really...it's a strange sight but only because of everything that comes along with it. Girls are taught to cover up when they're young and men...well, we know what 3/4 of the world's men think.

I want to say no but after reading Emma's post, I'd have to say "yes, but restricted". What I mean is, it may not be wise for women to be allowed to run around with their breats hanging out everywhere they go. But, let me make this very clear-- I am not strictly for or against this, just thinking "out loud" online.

5b. If you answered no to question 5a, can you give your reasons why it shouldn’t be allowed?

It makes people feel uncomfortable so...I don't know...

5c. If you answered yes to question 5a, why do you think others don’t agree with it?

...but, then again, smoking upsets people as well...

It's kind of hard for every shop in the country to have a feeding room as this is a relatively new thing people have to deal with...but I'm not so sure it's right that they have to feed their child standing next to a toilet...

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf

Last edited by DarkDaysAhead; February 17th, 2006 at 4:46 am.
Old February 17th, 2006, 4:36 am
Third Year

Yeah no reason not to.

Well it's their choice, I don't see why they should complain if they chose to keep breastfeeding after the recommended age.

Doctors recommend 6-12 months. However I know that I was breast fed untill about 2 years old because I had a lot of allergies and couldn't take solid food.

In my case, I did. But normally, no they don't need breast milk once they can get nutrition from other sources.

Yes, it's perfectly natural. Most women I've seen breast feed throw a towel or blanket or something over themselves so it's not like anyone gets a free peep show anyway.

5c. If you answered yes to question 5a, why do you think others donít agree with it? I think mostly it's people getting all upset over exposed breasts. That's the only reason I can think of.

I think that's uncalled for. Provided the mother isn't flashing her breasts around and makes a reasonable effort to stay out of people's way she should breast feed wherever is most comfortable.

Snape Article
My Art
Old February 17th, 2006, 4:42 am
Banned

1. Do you/would you breastfeed your child? YES!

2. Do you think itís fair to the mother to breastfeed for an extended period of time? ... yes... why wouldn't it be?

3. When do you think is the right time to wean a child off the breast? My nephew is a year and three weeks and my sister says she's kinda starting to "dry up" so I don't think you have to worry about it... let nature take its course, it'll let you know.

4. Do you think that older children actually need the breast milk, or do you think itís more of a comfort thing? No, older children do not need breast milk.

5a. Do you think mothers should be allowed to breastfeed in public? Idk why they would want to... umm.. I guess? if they cover themselves up??

5b. If you answered no to question 5a, can you give your reasons why it shouldnít be allowed? I didn't answer no but I guess the reason would be that it's kinda gross to have something sucking on you in front of a crowd of people... why would you want to do that?

5c. If you answered yes to question 5a, why do you think others donít agree with it? *refer to 5b

6. What do you think of shops/restaurants that have no feeding room and instead tell the mother to feed the child in the ladies toilets? GROSS... umm idk think of something else to tell them... like go to your car or something... or maybe pump your milk before hand and then put it in a bottle. Be prepared.

Old February 17th, 2006, 7:10 am
Sixth Year

I hope to be able to breastfeed my children when I have them, although for how long I don't know, I suppose it will depend on the circumstances. I would imagine that at least for the first few weeks I would be able to stay at home, and after that I think that I would be willing to use a breast pump. To me it just seems exhausting to have to be the one to get up with the baby every few hours; I don't know much about nipple confusion or the likelihood that I would be able to continue to breastfeed after using a bottle, but I like the idea of being able to share the feedings on a number of different levels.

I would imagine that most of them don't depending on what you consider older, I wouldn't think that children who were 4 or 5 would actually need breast milk (although to be perfectly honest my knowledge of such things is very limited).

I don't have a problem with it. I think that if I were to do it that I would likely use some of those nifty things that drapes over your front. But I mean if the baby has to eat and you don't have any other way to feed it at the moment (or breastfeeding is the only way that you are feeding the baby), then it has to eat. I think it is probably more considerate to breastfeed in public than to allow the baby to continue to cry because it is hungry, as people can look away if they have a problem with it and go about their business.

I don't think that it is realistic to expect all places to have a space for mothers to breastfeed. I mean if a place has a roomy bathroom with couches and it is clean, I might be willing to comply. If people are complaining to the management I can understand their desire to comply with the wishes of their customers, but if their only option is sitting in a stall to breastfeed, well, I think that is kind of gross.

What happens to a plimpy that comes to the Breakfast Club?
Search Tutorial ~ Search Engine ~ Forum Rules ~ Ask the Staff
Old February 17th, 2006, 9:33 am
Third Year

Re: U - Breastfeeding

1. Do you/would you breast-feed your child?
After 20 years with my families daycare I don't plan to have any children of my own, I feel like I have had mine & some. If I did then I would breast-feed, yes.

2. Do you think it’s fair to the mother to breast-feed for an extended period of time?
We had a lot of mothers that came on their lunch hours to breast-feed their children. For the hours they weren't able, they used the breast pump for bottle feedings later on.

I think it's between the mother & child. I believe its different for everyone.

Some children who suffer from allergies need the natural benefit of their own mothers milk. If you think about regular cow milk, it was made by nature to support a larger animal then humans. I've heard its a bit harsh on a child as well as some adults. We've had mothers wean their older children using both formula & goats milk. That worked well.

5a. Do you think mothers should be allowed to breast-feed in public?
I don't mind so much when discretion is used with a baby blanket, etc. but honestly it's not something I want to see & I wouldn't force anyone else to if I was in that position.

I think mothers should come prepared with bottles for when out in public. I think mothers should not only have their babies used to the breast, but also bottles, as it allows mum to take a break too now & again!

Old February 17th, 2006, 10:19 am
Second Year

Yes, I breastfed both of mine, one for 16 months, one for over 2 years.

Yes, since it is usually the mother's choice to do that. I think it's useful to remember that doctor's advice on these issues isn't definitive - they used to say babies only needed breastmilk until 6 months, so at that time people would have felt justified in saying it's wrong to feed for longer. Now the 'official' advice is that mums should feed for a year, so the goalpost is moved. Who is to say that advice won't change yet again to say that breastmilk should be supplied until 18 months or two years? The only important age limit is the one which fits any particular baby and mum.

When both baby and mum are ready.

I think it can be both - some kids have a milk allergy, so what better for them than the milk made specifically for them? And the comfort part can be pretty important for a young child too.

Absolutely yes, and what I find offensive is the backward attitude that breasts can only have a sexual connotation and should therefore be hidden. Breastfeeding is as old as humans themselves, and it is ridiculous that we have twisted it into something taboo and shameful.

Again, it's simply because society has turned bodies into sexual images, and most people can only think in sexual terms about breasts. Someone earlier compared the act of public breastfeeding to doing the toilet in public, which is a fairly offensive comparison actually. Feeding your baby is hardly akin to emptying your bladder, and it just astonishes me that anyone can feel offended by someone providing nourishment to a baby. When breastfeeding, you'd usually have to look really hard to be able to see anything, and if you are worried of catching a glimpse of flesh, then don't look! There are plenty of other sights surrounding you. What gets people's backs up is not the act of someone breastfeeding, but the feelings it stirs within them due to their own connotations betweens breasts and sex. The problem lies with the onlooker's skewed perception of bodies, not with the mum feeding her baby.

I think they shouldn't even have to have a feeding room, a mum should be able to sit anywhere and feed her baby. Here in Scotland they recently passed a law which enshrines a woman's right to feed her baby wherever she needs to, and anyone interfering with that right can be brought to account. It's high time we got back to realising that breastfeeding is a clean healthy natural act which benefits mum and baby, and got rid of the bizarre attitude towards this most fundamental use of breasts!

Old February 17th, 2006, 10:37 am
Seventh Year

I'm still a bit young to be thinking about how I will feed my children but, yes I think if I ever did have kids, I would want to breastfeed them.

Yes, it's up to the mother to decide when to stop breastfeeding her child. Thoguh when the kid gets to about 6-ish and they are still being breastfed, they would start getting a bit embarrassed about it, wouldn't they? When they realise that their friends aren't still breastfed?

I think between six to eight months is a suitable age. But I don't know much about babies, that's just my guess.

In older kids, it would be a comfort thing. They don't need to be breastfed, tonnes of kids have never had brest milk and have turned out ok. But having breast milk does have its benefits.

Yes, yes they should.

Maybe because a woman's breasts are something that most people think should generally be covered up. So when a woman whips it out in public, they mind find it a little uncomforatable. I can understand that.

A toilet? That's not cool. I know I wouldn't like that if I was a Mum. Mothers should be allowed to feed their baby in restaurant itself. Like Vasheba said, as long as she isn't flashing it around to the world, I think it should be allowed. Or they could at least provide a comfortable space for the mother to feed her child. It's a natuaral life process, why does it need to be hidden as if it is something offensive?

Old February 17th, 2006, 10:43 am
Fourth Year

I breast-fed both of my boys. My older son had some health problems (very long story...owl me if you really want details) and was unable to actually suckle, so I pumped and bottle-fed him. We then found out that he was allergic to my milk as well as most formulas. We ended up putting him on an enzymatically pre-digested protien formula until he was a year old.
My younger son was already needing more than I could give by the time he was 6 weeks old, so we went totally to the bottle and formula.
At least they both got the immune system-boosting benefits from having had breast milk for the first several weeks of their lives.

It's an individual decision. Mom can decide if she wants to do it or not. I've met several women who have been breast-feeding toddlers -- a little unnerving to watch a 3-year-old walk over to mom and yank up her shirt, though.....

Due to my having to go back to work (too far away to jet back for lunchtime feeds) and several other considerations (see #1) I weaned both of mine at about 8 weeks. I wish I could have continued until around 6 months or so - I really enjoyed the one-on-one time with my boys. To me, it was the contact more than the milk, itself, that made breastfeeding better than the bottle.
It was also a lot handier than going to the kitchen, mixing formula, warming up the bottle, and washing everything afterwards -- breast milk is always with you, always ready, always the right temperature, and doesn't dirty any kitchenware!!

No they don't (except with conditions where 'normal' food disagrees with the child's digestive system, of course). Comfort for the child or the mom? Both I suppose.... I've seen women who try to carry on for a lot longer than the child seems willing. A mom who tries to force her walking/talking child to the breast is a sad sight.

Of course!! I've seen (and done) it lots of times. We don't want to "flash" our breasts to the crowd any more than most of them want to see them. Most of us get very adept at discretly covering ourselves when in public.

As FGG said -- it's a vaguely sexual activity. Especially in this age where there are alternatives like pumping and using the bottle, or just using formula to begin with. Some people seem to think that it's crass that a woman would even consider feeding her child that way in public.

If a place where I was spending my money TOLD me that I could only feed my child in the toilet, they would loose not only my patronage, but that of as many people as I could persuade!!

Old February 17th, 2006, 10:44 am
Curse Breaker

One note that I would like to state on the feeding rooms....I would like to see moms comfortable with anywhere to feed their babies....As some other posts stated people think that this is something that is horrible to see....well it is old as the hills...and natural. Babies don't think where they are when they are hungry...they are just hungry and want to eat. At least some shops could have a place other than a rest room (toilet) for a mom that wanted privacy to be comfortable to go to. Even if it is only a chair in a stock room or even a spot in an office if they are in a restarant...restarant do not have nice places to breast feed an infant. They usually suggest the rest room.

I belonged to La Leache League for years with my 2....They are a great support group, and I would suggest any mom to at least try one meeting in their area
La Leche League International: Breastfeeding Information and Support

Old February 17th, 2006, 1:02 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
I would. It is nothing to be embarrased about, and the baby really does need it.

Quote:
Um... at the age of 12 or 13 months, maybe 14. (you know, I was going to type years instead of months...can you IMAGINE???

Quote:
Definately a comfort thing...I mean, they ARE eating solid food, they get their nutrition from that, don't they?

Quote:
Yeah, of course, why not?

Quote:
I don't know. Maybe they think men will be embarrased about it...or maybe even the mothers themselves...why should they care about that if the mothers themselves don't mind? And yeah, it is considered a vaguely sexual thing, but I don't see why...baby is hungry, baby is fed. How is that remotedly sexual?

Quote:
b]6. What do you think of shops/restaurants that have no feeding room and instead tell the mother to feed the child in the ladies toilets?[/b]
I think its pathetic and extremely unsympathetic. And most of the time, ladies toilets stink and a stinky toilet is no place to take a very young baby, now is it?

I mean, they don't even have to build this plush, elaborate feeding room! Just a small room with a chair and a door...maybe even a shelf...not some sort of five-star hotel room or anything...

Last edited by junika3; February 17th, 2006 at 1:06 pm.
Old February 17th, 2006, 1:49 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murtlap

I think they shouldn't even have to have a feeding room, a mum should be able to sit anywhere and feed her baby. Here in Scotland they recently passed a law which enshrines a woman's right to feed her baby wherever she needs to, and anyone interfering with that right can be brought to account.
Exactly. I can't actually think of anywhere I've been which had feeding rooms (not that I've looked). Most feeding mothers I know who have had to feed a kid in public do so discreetly where ever they are.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old February 17th, 2006, 2:16 pm
She Who Walks Behind

I don't know. Perhaps for the first time but I would change to bottle as soon as possible. Maybe after a few months. 4-5 or so.

Fair to the mother but not for the child. I think most mothers breastfeed for longer time more than a year because they are too lazy to feed otherwise. And I doubt it's healthy for children to be feeded so long. Too big bound between mother and child.

The best time would be for me 1 year at the latest.

It's only a comfort thing. They don't need it and it's unnatural.

They might allow it. But I will look away. I don't like it when mothers feed there children in my presense. No offense, it's just my opinion.

I would suggest them to use the bottle in restaurant or go to an empty room. It must not be the toilet. There might be several people who don't want to see it, might it be due to personal reasons or religious reasons.

The End of the Dream.
Old February 17th, 2006, 3:40 pm
Third Year

Here are some health benefits of breastfeeding for those who might be doubters. Also, the babies aren't the only ones who benefit from breastfeeding: Here are some benefits of breastfeeding for mothers.

Also, as stated by the American Academy of Pediatrics:
AAP Policy on Breastfeeding and the Use of Human MilkPediatricians and parents should be aware that exclusive breastfeeding is sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months of life and provides continuing protection against diarrhea and respiratory tract infection. Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child.
Furthermore, AAP says that
IbidThere is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer.
There should be less attention on the length of time children are breastfed. As has been said, I think the main reason people get concerned is because breasts are usually associated with sex. What many don't realize is that sex is not on the forefront of everyone's minds.

Also, as a side note, it's recommended that infants weaned before 12 months of age should not receive cow's milk but should receive iron-fortified infant formula.

If one feels the need of something grand, something infinite, something that makes one feel aware of God,
one need not go far to find it...I think that I see something deeper, more infinite, more eternal than the ocean in the
expression of the eyes of a little baby when it wakes in the morning and coos or laughs because it sees
the sun shining on its cradle.

- Vincent van Gogh -

Last edited by Amaryllis; February 17th, 2006 at 3:42 pm.
Old February 17th, 2006, 5:20 pm
Fifth Year

Also, it's not like mothers that breast feed their babies run around with bare breasts. At least where I live, breastfeeding is done discreetly, anywhere it's needed. But then again, latin americans are very open mined about things like physical contact and sex-related things.

Old February 17th, 2006, 6:10 pm
Fourth Year

I did breastfeed both of my children. I think for all those that are comfortable and desire to feed their babies in a way that God and nature intended, that breast feeding should at least be attempted. If however, you are not comfortable, by all means don't feel the least bit guilty about not. The emotional trauma you put yourself through won't be in the best interest of you and your child, if you feel you must breast feed and would rather not. Many a healthy children were not breast fed.

2. Do you think it’s fair to the mother to breastfeed for an extended period of time? I personally, think it is not ethical. However that could just be my cultural upbringing. I know that there is no nutritional benefit to feeding mother's milk past 24 months. By that time even bottle fed babies are taken off whole milk usually.
As to being "fair to the mother", well, she is in complete control of the situation and therefor has a say in the stopping of it. Fairness is not a partner to it, I actually think it is selfish of a mother to be feeding past a reasonable amount of time.

I think it is actually a decision that comes naturally to those keeping in tune with their bodies and their babies. I for one, knew that it was time by the signals and circumstances that occured. The feeding process does windel down naturally once solid foods are introduced into the diet. And in my experience the last feeding to go is usually the night time one just before bed.
On a whole I would say no longer than 24 months, personally both myself and my children were done by the time they hit 13 months old.

They do not need the breast milk any more than they need the formula for bottle fed babies past a certain age. The nuturtional value is just not there. I can understand the comfort aspect. It was a special time to be holding my babies and feeding them from my body. And when we finished and we had had our last bed time feeding, I missed that, but we went on, and the comfort aspect was met in differing ways at that point.

Absolutely! But it should be done with respect to those around us. In the state of Oregon, where I live, while not against the law, breast feeding in public was not made legal until a few years ago. I actually laughed at that. But as long as a mother is being aware and keeping herself covered up rather than hanging out for the world to see, public feeding is just fine. After all the rest of us eat in public, and bottle fed babies are fed in public, why should mother's who feed their baby the best possible food be exciled?

5b. If you answered no to question 5a, can you give your reasons why it shouldn’t be allowed? N/A

I think that some people are just uncomfortable about the possible naked breast exposure. But if a woman knows what she is doing, and is prepared to be discreet, there really isn't a problem. The problem only comes from those drawing attention to it and making a big deal out of it. It really drives me crazy when poeple say that it shouldn't be allowed and try to make it out to be a dirty, discusting event.

Oh, I would simply tell them...."please go take your meal into the restroom and eat there, and then come and tell me that I should feed my innocent baby in there." That is a place for human waste, not a place to eat, and that includes feeding babies.

One more note...as to the extended period of breast feeding inturupting a nursing mother's night time sleep...something is definately not right with that. Both of my babies, whom as I said were breast fed, were both sleeping thru the night without a feeding before 4 months of age. There is no reason to have a night time feeding especially at an older age. What needs to happen there is that the parents need to help the child get themselves back to sleep when they wake up in the middle of the night. A breast is not necessary for that.

We always, always have choices......and make no mistake, choosing to make no choice is a choice...take your time, think things through...and make wise choices!!! After all, "it is our choices, that show what we truely are, far more than our abilities."

Last edited by klynnrose; February 17th, 2006 at 6:15 pm.
Old February 17th, 2006, 6:27 pm
Sixth Year

Yes.

Depends on what an extended period of time is. 8 years old? Thats unusual and I can't imagine very healthy for the child. I think that it is healthy for it to stop by an age where a child would be able to remember being breast fed.

Depends on the child. I Find kind of weird that there is this culture to wean a child off breastmilk and then fill them with formula, goats milk and then cows milk. I would rather my child had breast milk until he/ she was able to get all of the nutrients from solids, whatever age that is (haven't had children)

Comfort, I expect.

Yes! I can't stand that there are people who complain about it!

I really don't know, probably just prudish attitutes about our bodies, which they are welcome to I suppose.

Horrific, toilets are not the place to eat in! I would rather go out onto the street to do it!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Family & Parenting