Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Family & Parenting

Breastfeeding

Old December 18th, 2009, 2:04 am
First Year

Re: U - Breastfeeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumi View Post
But how are you qualified to make this kind of statement? I did it, therefore other people can and should?
Guess what: I straightened my own teeth by tying them together with dental floss. Instead of getting braces I straightened my own teeth (my hand to God). Does that mean I think other people could do the same? Are people who have crooked teeth somehow beneath me because they didn't take the initiative to straighten their own teeth when I have done so myself?

I applaud you--I honestly do--on having persevered in such difficult circumstances. You stuck to your guns and it paid off. You should be very proud. You're an inspiration to us all (no sarcasm intended).

But please remember that not all people are the same. There are a million reasons why a woman could fail where you were able to succeed. I am merely asking that you show a bit more compassion and try to see the other side.
It would be nice if women could be more together on this, instead of judging each other. It's a very personal and touchy subject, yes. But we could encourage each other and help each other and be supportive, rather than judging and belittling each other. (ie. "boo hoo! I can't breastfeed!")
how did you tie your teeth together with dental floss, can u please tell me cuz im very poor and i want braces, and my teeth are crooked. im very deseprate to know plzz

Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2009, 3:55 pm
Zonko's Employee

Re: Breastfeeding

Late to the discussion but I wanted to say that not all mothers want to breastfeed. And by not want to I mean the difficulties of breastfeeding can overwhelm a woman until the prospect becomes distasteful, especially if complications during birth or right after delivery happen.

Even though it was years ago I remember being sore from my epesiotomy (sp?), and I had severe bladder issues that made it difficult to go to the bathroom and therefore difficult to move around comfortably. The discomfort, which bordered on pain, kept me from sleeping, making me irritable and cranky. I had had to have two epidurals which to this day I believe contributed to my newborn's sleepiness. He would start to nurse, and two seconds later her would fall asleep. The lactation consultants gave me all sorts of tips to keep him awake even for a few minutes to nurse and get even a little nutrition. He just continued to sleep. Hours later he still hadn't nursed or stayed awake for more than ten minutes at a shot and I hadn't peed or slept and my breasts were becoming very sore. By now I was worried that he wasn't getting enough nutrition. And sure enough he started becoming noticably jaundiced. I asked that I be pumped and that he be given a bottle by the nurse while I tried to sleep. Instead, the nurses brang him to the nursery but every time he woke for even a few moments they brang him in to wake me up because they worried about his jaundice. And he still wouldn't nurse. As soon as he was in my arms he would fall into slumber again.

He was born in the early afternoon. The hospital refused to give him a bottle until nearly midnight. By which time I was ready to kill somebody. The doctors worried that I was developing a bladder infection, I was leaking and sore, and they considered putting my baby under a light. I finally forced the issue. I had a catheter to allow me to pee (there was three times the normal cc's), and John was finally given a bottle which he took to immediately. He started sleeping longer, and I started sleeping longer. His jaundiced cleared up and I was given a pump to take home with me.

The problems at home continued. My son was a very sleepy baby. He still refused to nurse and while pumping helped relieve the soreness I could never make it work to fill a bottle quickly. I spent half my day hooked up to the pump. I consulted 3 lactation consultants all of whom seemed to think that my lack of sleep was par for the course. I would have had no problems with little to no sleep had my son been nursing but the pump shouldn't have taken so long and I was always sore. I asked if I was doing something wrong with the pump, they would make a few minor adjustments, and send me home.

Four days later I was sitting in the nursery, my son was sleeping, it was two in the morning, I was sore and hooked up to the pump. It was silent except for the whoosh of the pump and I began to cry. I was angry with my baby for not nursing. I didn't want to hold him at all. I felt horribly guilty that I couldn't get him to nurse and that I couldn't get the pump to work properly. My husband woke up and when he saw I wasn't there came into the nursery. When he saw me sitting there, looking like a borg crying, he told me enough was enough. We switched to formula that very night and things changed dramatically for the better.

With the bottle I didn't have to worry about the pump. I didn't have to worry about my son not getting enough to eat. My husband could help during the night so that I could sleep. And I found that my anger with my son disappeared and I could hold him without worry, and snuggle with him, and love him. By two months of age he was sleeping through the night.

There is know doubt that a)breatmilk is nutritionally better or b)that breastfeeding creates a strong bond. But I think people lose sight of the fact that what every woman wants is to have a happy healthy baby. By being angry with my son all the time I was losing alot of bonding time with him. If I was suffering from post partum depression my breastfeeding woes just made that worse. The guilt I felt over breastfeeding made it worse.

Now, years later, I brought my son to the dentist. He has a severe underbite. I asked my dentist if that could have contributed to him not breastfeeding as a baby and the dentist said definately, that the formation of his jaw would have made it difficult for him to latch on.

So my advise to women is this. Don't let guilt play a role in your breastfeeding. decisions. Do what feels right. Breastmilk is definately nutritionally better but many children have grown into happy healthy children on formula and made lasting bonds with their parents while sitting in their laps holding a bottle. Remember, it's your life and your choice. Do not feel guilty. Work with your hospital. Let them know ahead of time that if you feel a bottle is necessary that you do not want to be pressured otherwise.

Good Luck new moms!

Old December 18th, 2009, 9:31 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

I'm so sorry to hear that your issues with breastfeeding aggravated you postpartum depression! I know what it feels like to be that frustrated, as my littlest one had some trouble in the beginning as well. I think the only thing that kept me patient was having breastfed twice before and knowing that eventually, if I kept at it, things would work out. It took a longish time and I had to pump several times a day for the first two or three weeks, but it did end up working out.

Breastfeeding, while good for the baby and often good for the mother, is subjective, I think, and can't be pushed on everyone. I'm sorry to hear your experience with it was so horrible.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old December 19th, 2009, 1:13 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
I think the only thing that kept me patient was having breastfed twice before and knowing that eventually, if I kept at it, things would work out. It took a longish time and I had to pump several times a day for the first two or three weeks, but it did end up working out.
I think, actually, that each baby is different and that it is best to start with breastfeeding. I've heard people say that their first child wouldn't breastfeed but then their second and thirds did so naturally. Or that the first would but subsequent ones didn't. I think my son was distinct in his sleepiness (he still sleeps 10-12 hours a night) and underbite. I think it is wonderful and beautiful to breastfeed (be public and proud!) but I think it more important to be not let other people cloud your judgement at a time when you are new at being a mother. Making decisions as a new mother is stressful enough. The more that you do what feels right for you the more confidence you gain.

Just as you had confidence because of your past experiences as breastfeeding I think any mother who is comfortable in her early decisions carries that forward in all aspects of parenting. Which it sounds like you did.

Old February 26th, 2010, 5:46 am
First Year

I just wanted to point out what was in the Daily Mail about a woman being kicked off a bus in England for breastfeeding her six week old daughter. Some of the comments on the comments section are really nastier. Some of the comments are coming from mother's who have breastfeed their children but find public breastfeeding disgusting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ding-baby.html

1. Do you/would you breastfeed your child?
If I had kids I would breastfeed them.

2. Do you think itís fair to the mother to breastfeed for an extended period of time?
What do you by fair? If someone breastfeeds for a long period of time it is their choice.

3. When do you think is the right time to wean a child off the breast?
Maybe a year to two years old. I would not know because I am not a mother yet.

4. Do you think that older children actually need the breast milk, or do you think itís more of a comfort thing?
No if a child is five years old than no they no longer need to have breast milk. It seems it is more of a comfort thing for the mother.

5a. Do you think mothers should be allowed to breastfeed in public?
Yes I think mothers should be allowed to breastfeed in public because a baby needs eat just like adults. If a mother is breastfeeding in public and is using a blanket and is also being discreet than yes their have a right.

5b. If you answered no to question 5a, can you give your reasons why it shouldnít be allowed?

5c. If you answered yes to question 5a, why do you think others donít agree with it?
I think the reason why people don't agree with mother's breastfeeding in public is because of the way people have made breast more sexually than they are.

6. What do you think of shops/restaurants that have no feeding room and instead tell the mother to feed the child in the ladies toilets?
I think that shops/restaurants that tell a mother to feed her baby in the bathroom are wrong because some public restrooms can be disgusting to use. I now I have a phobia of using public bathrooms because of how dirty some of them can be. So no baby should ever have to eat their meal in the bathroom because someone is uncomfortable about seeing a mother feeding her baby that way.

Old February 27th, 2010, 9:28 am
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

I find that article absolutely appalling; I wish she had just told the bus driver to go ahead and call the police. I can't believe someone would force a woman with such a young child to walk in the rain.

My last one has recently weaned himself. It was sad for me, but necessary for him. I only got to breastfeed him for seven months.
I disagree with the notion that breastfeeding a child beyond the age of two is solely for the comfort of the mother; I think it is more for the child's comfort, though I won't deny that the mother likely also benefits from the continued close relationship with her child.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old December 11th, 2010, 5:29 am
Fifth Year

Yes

2. Do you think itís fair to the mother to breastfeed for an extended period of time?

I presume the mother would be making this decision so I don't see how it could be unfair.

When a child can walk

4. Do you think that older children actually need the breast milk, or do you think itís more of a comfort thing?
I think it's more for comfort

Yes

5c. If you answered yes to question 5a, why do you think others donít agree with it?
In many societies breasts are seen primarily as sex objects and sex objects are seen as indecent. Therefore, for many people in these societies, breasts are indecent. Personally, I don't see them as sex objects anymore than I see knees as sex objects. And I think people should be allowed to be naked in public :/

6. What do you think of shops/restaurants that have no feeding room and instead tell the mother to feed the child in the ladies toilets?
They're allowed to make their own rules, but I disagree with them obviously. They're just breasts. I think if more people did breastfeed in public people would not be freaked out over it.

Old December 21st, 2010, 10:42 pm
Second Year

The Questions:

Yes. I breast fed my son until he was 2 1/2. I only stopped when I got pregnant again and I felt as if he was draining me.

2. Do you think it’s fair to the mother to breastfeed for an extended period of time?
I don't see why not if she wants to.

When he is eating a reasonable selection of solid food and has a few teeth. Basically, at the same age you'd wean him if he was bottle fed. i. e. about age 2-3.

4. Do you think that older children actually need the breast milk, or do you think it’s more of a comfort thing?
Weaning is a gradual thing. As a child ages, you gradually introduce more solid foods, and accordingly nurse less often. At age two, I was only nursing my son at bedtime.

Our culture disapproves of displaying the breast in public. But there's no reason a mother can't nurse a baby under a loose top that covers her breasts in public.

5b. If you answered no to question 5a, can you give your reasons why it shouldn’t be allowed?

5c. If you answered yes to question 5a, why do you think others don’t agree with it? As stated, it's a matter of modesty.

6. What do you think of shops/restaurants that have no feeding room and instead tell the mother to feed the child in the ladies toilets?[/quote]
Find someplace else to nurse your child unless there is a "ladies Lounge" as an anteroom before the ladies' toilets. Why do you think all the older department stores and train stations had "Ladies Lounges" next to their women's bathrooms. Didn't you ever wonder why these places were equipped with couches and easy chairs and were so spacious? They were expressly designed for the modest woman of previous generations to have a private place to nurse and care for her baby. Nobody needs a sofa to just fix her makeup or comb her hair.

To Flimsey Cauldron: I'm sorry you had such a hard time nursing your baby. When they're little they do tend to fall asleep after a short time, and that's okay. They're little, and they tire quickly. My son would fall asleep after about 15-20 minutes, and then wake up two hours later for more. That lasted maybe for the first month. He gradually was able to go for longer stretches between feedings. But in the very beginning, in the hospital, he only nursed for a few minutes each time. I think part of your problem was unreasonable expectations. Milk production is in direct response to the baby's need. So I'm not surprised that you weren't getting a lot by pumping. After all, you're not a cow, and you shouldn't gauge breast milk production quantities by standard formula recommended mixing quantities nor should you have expected to be able to "fill a bottle" of even the smaller standard size baby bottle. Your baby was very young, and consequently needed relatively small amounts of breast milk. It also takes a little time for your milk to come in, but like I said, that's okay, because newborns tire easily anyway and don't demand much. You probably should have persevered with attempts to breast feed, even if he nursed for only a few minutes.You probably weren't patient enough with either him or yourself. As far as his underbite goes, I doubt that was the problem. Before the twentieth century, all children were breastfed, including those with overbites, underbites, and harelips. and somehow, they all managed to do it. The way I see it, your mother probably didn't breast feed her children, and therefore could not give you any practical advice about it or reassure you that nothing was wrong with either you or your baby when you thought the baby wasn't nursing enough. It's too bad that nobody at the hospital bothered to reassure you about the things that were bothering you.

Last edited by Quickquill; December 21st, 2010 at 11:58 pm.
Old February 6th, 2011, 1:47 pm
Second Year

Yes, I think that breastfeeding provides the best form of nutrition for a newborn and should be the first option considered.

2. Do you think it’s fair to the mother to breastfeed for an extended period of time?
Fair, I think is a very subjective term. I don't mean to pick apart the question, but am just answering it as I understand it. Breastfeeding at all may not seem 'fair', let alone for an extended period of time, I do however think that the benefits both nutritionally for the baby and the bonding aspects, outweigh the difficulty.
By extended period of time I take that to mean beyond two years, which I personally don't like the idea of, but not because it doesn't seem fair to the mother. Sometimes I think it more of benefit to see things in light of being right or wrong for one instead of fair, what is right is not always what is fair, at least my experience has led me to believe this.

It probably would depend on individual circumstances, I think the optimal situation would be to breastfeed exclusively for 6 months and then feed solids as well as breast feed and then start to wean some time as the child approaches his/her second year.

4. Do you think that older children actually need the breast milk, or do you think it’s more of a comfort thing?

I don't think children beyond two years need breast milk, I guess it is more a thing of comfort perhaps even for the mother more than the child, who knows.

Yes most definitely. I think it is absolutely natural and right that a mother should be able to feed her child wherever she is. I personally would take into account other peoples sensitivities and use a loose covering, so that it was not completely obvious. I think it is one of those situations where if people are sensitive to others breastfeeding in public they should look away if they find it offensive, and at the same time, if I was the one breastfeeding I would do it discreetly, trying not to take offense so easily nor to give it.

5b. If you answered no to question 5a, can you give your reasons why it shouldn’t be allowed?

5c. If you answered yes to question 5a, why do you think others don’t agree with it?

I think people mostly don't agree with public breastfeeding when the breast is exposed, and I think that they don't take well to that because generally in most cultures of the world today the breast is part of a person's 'nakedness', and most of us live in places where public nakedness doesn't occur so it is something that some people find uncomfortable or even offensive.

I think for starters it is an unhygienic not to mention uncomfortable place, to expect someone to nurse a baby in a toilet area I think it not right. If they don't have a room dedicated to parents than I think they should allow a mother to nurse her child in the main part of the restaurant if people don't like it they need not watch her, not many people do sit there staring anyways, so I don't know why it is such a big issue.

I love a sunburnt country...
Old February 6th, 2011, 9:08 pm
Second Year

Regarding your question of whether or not it's fair to the mother to breastfeed for an extended period of time - The real question should be "Is it fair to expect a new mother to mess around with bottles and formulas when she has the perfect food already available at a moment's notice at the perfect temperature and the perfect composition for her baby with no guesswork involved?" I remember how my mother sterilized bottles and tested the milk on the inside of her wrist for my brother. It seemed like a lot of unnecessary hassle. There are enough items mothers schlep around with them for their babies. Why add bottles to the list?

Old August 23rd, 2011, 5:26 pm
Sixth Year

I'm an adoptive parent, and I just wanted to say that I wish it were easier for adoptive parents to utilize breast milk donation banks. Breast milk is so much healthier than formula. We wished we'd had that option for our son. If our son was on Medicaid, it would have covered breast milk being donated and shipped (from mothers who are screened) to our door. Our insurance won't cover breast milk unless it's a last resort. It was three dollars an ounce, so we just couldn't afford it on our own. I hope this option is a little more accepted in the future, but I'm not holding my breath, that's for sure.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 6:51 pm
Fourth Year

A few years ago in NYC I saw a breastfeeding mother using one of those cover-ups. Iíd never seen one before and I just couldnít keep myself from looking. It seems like such a hassle to take along and so warm in summer. Iíd hate to be the baby underneath that thing in the middle of summer. The funny part is, I probably would never have looked twice if she hadnít used anything (or just a shawl) to cover up. I guess that shows how cultural our reactions to breastfeeding really is.

"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page."

- George Clooney, on his aversion to the social networking site.
Old October 28th, 2011, 4:33 pm
First Year

I have had 2 kids. My first daughter I was unable to breastfeed due to c-section, pain medication, and general stress all coming together to dry up my milk supply within the first 2 months. I pumped what little I could till it was gone. With my second who I gave birth to naturally, I have been able to exclusively breastfeed and its great.

I don't feel "fair" is the best word to me. I don't feel past 2 years is necessary.

1-2 years. At least before they start school.

I don't feel after that point is necessary nutritionally. Solids provide everything breastmilk can give. Its probably more comfort. My infant wants to be on my breast ALL THE TIME. She using sucking for comfort and helping her to fall asleep, I give her a pacifier.

YES.

Because they likely feel uncomfortable. I don't see any legitimate reason to not allow it.

I tell them I would be more than happy to sit on an open toilet and feed my child, if they will sit in the stall next to mine and eat a hamburger. My hands are very close to my baby's mouth when she is eating, I am not going to want to touch her after putting my hand on anything in a bathroom. I'm not a germaphobe by any means, but I'm going to use just common sense approaches that she isn't being exposed to some real nasty bacteria. I actually got a "license to breastfeed" from my lactation consultant. Its just a business card with info on why breastfeeding is important and includes the state law on allowing breastfeeding in public. I do use a "hooter hider" and don't just pop it out for all to see. Not for anyone's sake but my own. I don't feel comfortable exposing myself, but I feel perfectly comfortable breastfeeding while covered.

Adding this question:
Why did you choose breastfeeding?
Its easier and free. No mixing. When she does use a bottle, its just defrosting it. Less bottles to clean. If she wakes up at 3AM, I'm not dragging out of bed, half awake trying to make a bottle. When I had to make bottles with the first, by the time I was done making it, she was wide awake from screaming for food. With my new daughter, I just cradle her in bed, feed her, put her right back to bed. No clean up. I find compared to my first, formula fed daughter, less spit up. I get more diapers with this one, but they are less unpleasant. The poop doesn't smell nearly as bad.

Old October 28th, 2011, 7:12 pm
First Year

Quickquill: Before the 20th century, all babies were not necessarily breastfed. Of course the majority were as breastfeeding was par for the course, but there have always been babies with feeding problems and mothers unable to nurse. Bottles have been around for centuries, some parents had their little ones suck on rags dipped in milk or sugar water, some used cups. And unfortunately, some of the babies died. My daughter point-black refused to try (she and I both had contributing factors that made it difficult) and, though I persevered with the help of lactation consultants and the advice of an entire forum of near-militant breastfeeders (I'm not using that as an insult), she never once latched on. So she had bottles of expressed milk until I had to start taking a medication that isn't compatible with breastfeeding. I'm not trying to be combative by the way; it can just be very frustrating for mothers who were not able to breastfeed encounter strangers who, though well-meaning, have no way of knowing what we personally went through in our personal journey.

Anyway:
Absolutely. I had every intention to breastfeed my daughter, and though we ended up using bottles, I would 100% try again with any future children.

Sure, it's her choice after all. I don't think it's fair, however, for a woman to be pressured to continue beyond her threshold- but all in all, breastfeeding has great benefits to the nursing mother as well as the child.

When mother and baby are both ready.

They don't need it in the same way that a baby does, but it still goes beyond comfort. Breast milk never ceases to have unique nutritional and health benefits. I would love to still have milk to feed my daughter (who is almost 2), especially during cold season- the antibodies are fantastic!

Of course!

5c. If you answered yes to question 5a, why do you think others don’t agree with it?
I think it's a natural reaction in many cultures to be uncomfortable seeing a part of someone that's normally covered by clothes- sort of makes you feel like you just got to know someone a little too well. The difference comes in rational thinking- recognizing that your discomfort doesn't mean that the other person is doing something wrong, and having the ability to prioritize a baby's needs over your own preferences.

I don't think putting a feeding room into every shop is feasible, but breastfeeding in public should be legally protected.

Old October 29th, 2011, 3:42 am
Zonko's Employee

Soooo my baby boy #2 arrived six months ago and, unlike his older brother, latched and nursed from minute 1! Nursing, I have found, may have come naturally to my little guy but it has not come naturally to me. I have not had one totally pain free week in 6 months. First I went through the sore cracked nipples, then through mastitis, and more recently clogged milk ducts that feel like shards of glass whenever he nurses. I know how to handle each of these issues when they arise but the fact that it keeps happening over and over is aggravating. When I compare my first son to my last I am amazed at the differences and have found that each baby's feeding habits determined my course for them.

Old December 13th, 2011, 1:51 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic_Fallweather View Post
Quickquill: Before the 20th century, all babies were not necessarily breastfed. Of course the majority were as breastfeeding was par for the course, but there have always been babies with feeding problems and mothers unable to nurse. Bottles have been around for centuries, some parents had their little ones suck on rags dipped in milk or sugar water, some used cups. And unfortunately, some of the babies died. My daughter point-black refused to try (she and I both had contributing factors that made it difficult) and, though I persevered with the help of lactation consultants and the advice of an entire forum of near-militant breastfeeders (I'm not using that as an insult), she never once latched on. So she had bottles of expressed milk until I had to start taking a medication that isn't compatible with breastfeeding. I'm not trying to be combative by the way; it can just be very frustrating for mothers who were not able to breastfeed encounter strangers who, though well-meaning, have no way of knowing what we personally went through in our personal journey.
I was under the impression that rubber nippled baby bottles were a fairly recent development going back no more than a hundred years or so. In all the general literature of periods prior to the twentieth century, if a person couldn't breastfeed her own baby, a wet nurse was usually hired or found.

I was merely pointing out that using baby bottles and formula should not be considered to be the norm. There is no reason that a healthy mother should feel that she is incapable of nursing her baby, nor should breastfeeding be considered to be more of an onus than bottle feeding .

If, however, there are medical contraindications to breastfeeding, like medications the mother is taking, or the risk of transmitting a virulent disease to the baby (like AIDS), or the death or incapacity of the mother, that is why formulas and baby bottles exist.

Last edited by Quickquill; December 13th, 2011 at 2:01 am.
Old May 26th, 2012, 5:57 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

How long should a mother breastfeed her child? Recently, there was an article in the "Times"magazine about a mother who was still nursing her son at 3 years old. A lot of people objected to the picture on the cover of the magazine, and they thought 3 was too old. I have heard that there are some countries where children breastfeed until age 7. But, this is the exception, not the norm.

Old May 26th, 2012, 10:20 pm
First Year

I breastfed all 3 of my children. The longest I breastfed was 9 months, and that was because my milk was gone, otherwise I would have done it for much longer.

It depends on the woman. If she feels she can keep up the proper diet to benefit her child, or has the stamina and willingness to continue, then why not? Again, it all depends on the woman. Let me add though, that for health reasons, some women may not be able to breastfeed for a long period of time, or not at all.

I think that 2 years of age is a reasonable time to wean a child off the breast.

I think it's more of a comfort thing. Some children just need to feel that closeness to their mother. It is very intimate contact between a mother and a child. My husband's uncle was breastfed until he was six, and according to my mother in law, her milk must have been watered down by then.

Yes, I do. In countries in South America and Europe, it is not shameful for a woman to beastfeed in public, but then there are perverts who just use the opportunity to gawk at a bare breasted woman. In my opinion, if the woman drapes a shawl over her shoulder to cover her exposed breast without suffocating her child, there is no reason why she should be told to go to the bathroom.

I think people are just embarassed by the exposure of a part of the female body in a public place. It all depends on the sex of the person who has the negative opinion in order to try to understand their point of view.

I think it is disgraceful and sexist. I have other opinions on this matter but I will not post them because I do not wish to offend anyone who might read this postand disagree with my views.

Last edited by Durmstrangirl73; May 26th, 2012 at 10:28 pm.
Old May 28th, 2012, 5:49 pm
Second Year

I know I am late to the conversation, but here are my answers:

Yes, I breastfed my daughter and plan to do so again if I have any more children.

I suppose so, since I believe the mother would be choosing do so. If she didn't want to breastfeed for an extended period, she could wean the child.

Whenever mom and baby are ready. It is different for everyone. My daughter nursed for 18 months and then self weaned. I think 2 years is reasonable, but I do not judge those who continue beyond that.

I would think it depends on how you define 'older.' If you mean older than 3-4, then I would say it's probably more for comfort than actual need.

Most definitely. So long as a woman is discrete and not flashing her breast to all around her, I think it's fine - I did it myself when necessary.

I think the public has over-sexualized female breasts when in actuality they were not designed primarily for sexual purposes.

I do not fault restaurants for not having designated feeding areas. I would not expect them to. However, I do not think they should tell a nursing mother to go into the toilet to feed their child. Bathrooms are not exactly clean places. So long as the woman was being discrete and not drawing unnecessary attention to herself, there is no reason for anyone to say anything to her. I have fed my child in a restaurant right at the table. I was modest and discrete and no one in the establishment was distracted or disturbed by it.

Last edited by Asphodel79; May 28th, 2012 at 5:51 pm. Reason: fix typo
Old May 28th, 2012, 7:10 pm
Fourth Year

I have followed the discussion concerning the article in Time mag. and others and a thing that always puzzles me is people saying things like Durmstrangirl73.

Quote:
In my opinion, if the woman drapes a shawl over her shoulder to cover her exposed breast without suffocating her child, there is no reason why she should be told to go to the bathroom.
I don’t really know that many women who would not breastfeed discretely (with or without a shawl) and even if she didn’t. Why would she have to go to the bathroom?? We see (half)naked people everywhere. They’re used to advertise cars. We see more naked women in films and on tv than ever before. (I’m currently watching Game of Thrones, OMG) And whenever I read an article about breastfeeding in public there are god knows how many comments saying how mothers wouldn’t want their innocent children seeing a baby being breastfed or how having sex is natural and you wouldn’t do that in public either. I guess bare breast are only ok when they bring in money or are there for men’s pleasure and nothing else.

"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page."

- George Clooney, on his aversion to the social networking site.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Family & Parenting