Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Questions about the Harry Potter Movies



 
 
Thread Tools
  #1421  
Old August 12th, 2011, 10:45 pm
RemusPotter  Male.gif RemusPotter is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 2661 days
Location: Romania, Timisoara
Posts: 186
Do the Hogwarts House Elves exist in the movieverse?

They are not seen in the Battle of Hogwarts, and they're not mentioned at all. Do you think the food is cooked by them, or did Dumbledore contracted a magical catering company ?


Sponsored Links
  #1422  
Old August 13th, 2011, 1:24 pm
Dobby138  Male.gif Dobby138 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 1437 days
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 163
Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Throughout DH1, Harry seems to know that his parents lived, died, and he was born, in Godric's Hollow. However, I don't recall this fact being mentioned in earlier films?


__________________

"Dobby has no master. Dobby is a free elf and Dobby has come to save Harry Potter and his friends!"

Proud Hufflepuff

Friend -- For the Greater Good
  #1423  
Old August 14th, 2011, 10:39 pm
mrfutterman  Undisclosed.gif mrfutterman is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 2776 days
Posts: 965
Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby138 View Post
Throughout DH1, Harry seems to know that his parents lived, died, and he was born, in Godric's Hollow. However, I don't recall this fact being mentioned in earlier films?
It wasn't.

So what's the alternative?

Something like this:

Harry: "Godric's Hollow, where's that?"

Other person: "It's a village where you were born."

Harry: "What!? Wow! I never knew that. Tell me more."

Other person: "blah. .... blah.... blah ..." (for 4 minutes)

A chunk of unnecessary Explanation! was the last thing the audience needed at that point.


  #1424  
Old August 15th, 2011, 2:40 am
PianoPlaya  Female.gif PianoPlaya is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 1613 days
Location: Canada
Posts: 55
Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

This isn't a particular question about something in the films, but I didn't really know where to post this, so I thought it fit best here. Anyways, after reading many posts, many fans don't like the movies or don't like how many things are missing the films and say they aren't faithful to the books. I feel like I am the only one who absolutely LOVES all of the films. Sure there are some small sub plots that are not explorered to the depths that they are in the books and there are some scenes missing. But overall, I find the movies (all of them) so be very faithful to the books. They capture the main plot lines and the main atmosphere. And not to mention the setting and characters are done perfectly. So im just wondering if anyone here feels the same as me?


  #1425  
Old August 15th, 2011, 2:46 am
MoonlightSonata  Female.gif MoonlightSonata is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 1231 days
Location: Narnia
Posts: 27
Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoPlaya View Post
This isn't a particular question about something in the films, but I didn't really know where to post this, so I thought it fit best here. Anyways, after reading many posts, many fans don't like the movies or don't like how many things are missing the films and say they aren't faithful to the books. I feel like I am the only one who absolutely LOVES all of the films. Sure there are some small sub plots that are not explorered to the depths that they are in the books and there are some scenes missing. But overall, I find the movies (all of them) so be very faithful to the books. They capture the main plot lines and the main atmosphere. And not to mention the setting and characters are done perfectly. So im just wondering if anyone here feels the same as me?
I feel exactly the same way. I think the films a great at capturing the overall themes and plotlines of the books, even though they can't fit every single scene in (which, in my opinion, is a little silly to complain about). Besides, the films aren't the main medium of conveying the story. If one wanted to know the true plots of Harry Potter, they should pick up the books. The films are great for showing the story visually, but somebody would be mistaken to think that all would be presented before them this way.


__________________

"We Slytherins are brave, yes, but not stupid.
For instance, given the choice, we will always choose to save our own necks.Ē
- Phineas Nigellus



Last edited by MoonlightSonata; August 15th, 2011 at 2:46 am. Reason: Grammar
  #1426  
Old August 15th, 2011, 3:14 am
Slartibartfast's Avatar
Slartibartfast  Female.gif Slartibartfast is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 1769 days
Location: Magrathea
Age: 33
Posts: 971
Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Quote:
feel like I am the only one who absolutely LOVES all of the films.
You arent. I love all of the films. Even HBP and its the one i love the least. I love watching them. The casting is amazing and the sets beautiful. Without the movies, i wouldnt be here.


__________________


Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
  #1427  
Old August 16th, 2011, 4:50 am
ForbiddenSecret  Female.gif ForbiddenSecret is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 1293 days
Location: Canada
Age: 20
Posts: 63
Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

I was watching COS today, and had thought of a question right after Harry did his detention with Gildory. I'm pretty sure that in the book it says after the detention it was midnight or later, and in the movie it looks very dark outside, so why are there so many students in the corridors? Wouldn't they get in trouble?


  #1428  
Old August 16th, 2011, 4:58 am
MasterOfDeath's Avatar
MasterOfDeath  Male.gif MasterOfDeath is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 2686 days
Age: 26
Posts: 3,141
Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenSecret View Post
I was watching COS today, and had thought of a question right after Harry did his detention with Gildory. I'm pretty sure that in the book it says after the detention it was midnight or later, and in the movie it looks very dark outside, so why are there so many students in the corridors? Wouldn't they get in trouble?
Harry's detention with Lockhart was at midnight in the book but in the film, they changed it so Mrs. Norris is attacked after Harry's detention. In the book, the attack happens on Halloween when the trio are coming out of the deathday party, that's when Harry hears the voice and follows it. The kids are just leaving the Halloween feast out of the great hall.


__________________
"I wrote this for me, you know. I never wrote this with a focus group of children in mind. I wrote it totally for me and I'm an adult so maybe it's not so surprising."
JK Rowling on Adults liking Harry Potter; 1999

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

  #1429  
Old August 16th, 2011, 5:03 am
ForbiddenSecret  Female.gif ForbiddenSecret is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 1293 days
Location: Canada
Age: 20
Posts: 63
Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Harry's detention with Lockhart was at midnight in the book but in the film, they changed it so Mrs. Norris is attacked after Harry's detention. In the book, the attack happens on Halloween when the trio are coming out of the deathday party, that's when Harry hears the voice and follows it. The kids are just leaving the Halloween feast out of the great hall.
Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up for me !


  #1430  
Old August 16th, 2011, 5:07 am
MasterOfDeath's Avatar
MasterOfDeath  Male.gif MasterOfDeath is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 2686 days
Age: 26
Posts: 3,141
Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenSecret View Post
Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up for me !
No problem. You were very perceptive to notice that! It might just be a film mistake.


__________________
"I wrote this for me, you know. I never wrote this with a focus group of children in mind. I wrote it totally for me and I'm an adult so maybe it's not so surprising."
JK Rowling on Adults liking Harry Potter; 1999

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

  #1431  
Old August 20th, 2011, 9:24 pm
Boltz17  Undisclosed.gif Boltz17 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 1216 days
Posts: 1
Dumbledore Question

So this just came to my head this morning and I donít know the answer either. So in Deathly Hallows Part II we see Snape casting his Patronus spell, which leads Harry to the Sword of Gryffindor, and that scene occurred in Part I. However, when Snape cast the patronus, he was in the room with Dumbledore, who had already been dead by the time Harry found the Sword of Gryffindor in the lake. So I am confused about this part. I have heard Snape was talking to Dumbledoreís portrait, but Dumbledore looked completely alive talking to Snape. So how was Dumbledore there in his office, talking to Snape, if he was already dead?


  #1432  
Old August 21st, 2011, 2:51 am
ILuvDarkMarks's Avatar
ILuvDarkMarks  Female.gif ILuvDarkMarks is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 3432 days
Location: Pigfarts
Posts: 442
Re: Dumbledore Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltz17 View Post
So this just came to my head this morning and I donít know the answer either. So in Deathly Hallows Part II we see Snape casting his Patronus spell, which leads Harry to the Sword of Gryffindor, and that scene occurred in Part I. However, when Snape cast the patronus, he was in the room with Dumbledore, who had already been dead by the time Harry found the Sword of Gryffindor in the lake. So I am confused about this part. I have heard Snape was talking to Dumbledoreís portrait, but Dumbledore looked completely alive talking to Snape. So how was Dumbledore there in his office, talking to Snape, if he was already dead?
I thought of it as two separate scenes. Snape casting his Patronus in Dumbledore's office was just his way of showing Dumbledore (and the audience) that he still loves Lily, but also served as a way of showing the audience that it was he who had planted the sword. Yet actually casting the Patronus in the forest was at a completely separate time. Hope that helps!


__________________
"So whether you come back by page or by screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home," JK Rowling


Hufflepuff Pride
  #1433  
Old August 22nd, 2011, 4:12 pm
Dobby138  Male.gif Dobby138 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 1437 days
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 163
Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Why is Fleur's sister in the Great Hall when the Triwizard Tournament was announced?


__________________

"Dobby has no master. Dobby is a free elf and Dobby has come to save Harry Potter and his friends!"

Proud Hufflepuff

Friend -- For the Greater Good
  #1434  
Old August 22nd, 2011, 4:32 pm
xoxhpxox  Female.gif xoxhpxox is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 1217 days
Location: USA
Posts: 57
Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby138 View Post
Why is Fleur's sister in the Great Hall when the Triwizard Tournament was announced?
She just came to watch/support her sister should she be chosen to comepte

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumoshemuttered View Post
Lily gave him a bowl with a lily petal in it that she transformed into a fish. The day she died, the fish vanished. Side note, in the films, we see that Slughorn's Patronus is a fish.
this was never in the book (am i right?) and it came as quite a surprise to me.


__________________
~xoxhpxox~

"By Gryffindor, the bravest were prized far beyond the rest."

"Of course is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
  #1435  
Old August 25th, 2011, 2:23 pm
Dobby138  Male.gif Dobby138 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 1437 days
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 163
Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

I am almost certain of this, but I may be wrong - When Harry and Hermione went back in time using the Time Turner, Harry casts the Patronus that, the first time he had witnessed these events (when he was beside the lake with Sirius while the Dementors were attacking) he thought his Dad had cast. So, the "first time", Harry was lying beside the lake drifting out of consciousness, and saw the Stag just before he became unconscious. But, I don't recall seeing the Stag "second time" around, when Harry actually cast it? This is based on what I saw in the film, of course.


__________________

"Dobby has no master. Dobby is a free elf and Dobby has come to save Harry Potter and his friends!"

Proud Hufflepuff

Friend -- For the Greater Good
  #1436  
Old August 25th, 2011, 2:41 pm
BurrowGhoul's Avatar
BurrowGhoul  Female.gif BurrowGhoul is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 3438 days
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,116
Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby138 View Post
I am almost certain of this, but I may be wrong - When Harry and Hermione went back in time using the Time Turner, Harry casts the Patronus that, the first time he had witnessed these events (when he was beside the lake with Sirius while the Dementors were attacking) he thought his Dad had cast. So, the "first time", Harry was lying beside the lake drifting out of consciousness, and saw the Stag just before he became unconscious. But, I don't recall seeing the Stag "second time" around, when Harry actually cast it? This is based on what I saw in the film, of course.
Why "of course?"
When Harry cast the stag Patronus in the book, he was reaching his hand out to touch it as it cantered back to him. Almost-unconscious Harry thought it was his father welcoming it back.


__________________
HOGSMEADE AWARDS MMXII

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year


Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
  #1437  
Old August 25th, 2011, 2:47 pm
Dobby138  Male.gif Dobby138 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 1437 days
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 163
Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
Why "of course?"
When Harry cast the stag Patronus in the book, he was reaching his hand out to touch it as it cantered back to him. Almost-unconscious Harry thought it was his father welcoming it back.
Sorry, but I think you misunderstood, although, what you said will help me explain: in the film, when Harry cast the Patronus, there was no stag? Although, when Harry witnessed the events the first time, I believe there was a stag, and he saw himself (who he believed to be his father at the time) touching the stag, like you mentioned. But the "second time" there was no stag that he touched?


__________________

"Dobby has no master. Dobby is a free elf and Dobby has come to save Harry Potter and his friends!"

Proud Hufflepuff

Friend -- For the Greater Good
  #1438  
Old August 25th, 2011, 2:58 pm
BurrowGhoul's Avatar
BurrowGhoul  Female.gif BurrowGhoul is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 3438 days
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,116
Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby138 View Post
Sorry, but I think you misunderstood, although, what you said will help me explain: in the film, when Harry cast the Patronus, there was no stag? Although, when Harry witnessed the events the first time, I believe there was a stag, and he saw himself (who he believed to be his father at the time) touching the stag, like you mentioned. But the "second time" there was no stag that he touched?
No, it's my fault, I thought I was in the "Little Questions" thread, not "Questions about the Harry Potter Movies." Please ignore my response.


__________________
HOGSMEADE AWARDS MMXII

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year


Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
  #1439  
Old August 25th, 2011, 5:57 pm
MrSleepyHead's Avatar
MrSleepyHead  Male.gif MrSleepyHead is offline
Snidget of Champions
 
Joined: 3462 days
Location: Hoggy Warty Hogwarts
Posts: 3,038
Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby138
Sorry, but I think you misunderstood, although, what you said will help me explain: in the film, when Harry cast the Patronus, there was no stag? Although, when Harry witnessed the events the first time, I believe there was a stag, and he saw himself (who he believed to be his father at the time) touching the stag, like you mentioned. But the "second time" there was no stag that he touched?
In the PoA film, Harry and Sirius are attacked by dementors and as Harry struggles to remain conscious he sees a white stag form across the lake. This stag stays for a couple of seconds and then is consumed by the white light of the Patronus that actually drives away the dementors (which has no form).

In the Time-Turner sequence, we see the time traveling Harry wait for his father to appear, but nothing happens. He then jumps out on the rock, yells "Expecto Patronum!", and the indistinct Patronus (i.e. no stag) forms to drive away the dementors.

The only inconsistency is that in the earlier version of the scene Harry sees a stag before the Patronus is formed. In the Time-Turner sequence, we do not see that stag - the Patronus that Harry casts is that which consumes the stag in the earlier scene. This leads me to the conclusion that the early Harry (i.e. the one struggling for consciousness) imagines the stag, or else that the camera angle we see of the Time-Turner Harry does not show a stag (which is less likely, in my opinion).

(For comparison of the two scenes you can visit these two videos: The Dementor's Kiss and Time-Turner sequence.)


__________________


A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
  #1440  
Old August 25th, 2011, 7:54 pm
Dobby138  Male.gif Dobby138 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 1437 days
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 163
Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
In the PoA film, Harry and Sirius are attacked by dementors and as Harry struggles to remain conscious he sees a white stag form across the lake. This stag stays for a couple of seconds and then is consumed by the white light of the Patronus that actually drives away the dementors (which has no form).

In the Time-Turner sequence, we see the time traveling Harry wait for his father to appear, but nothing happens. He then jumps out on the rock, yells "Expecto Patronum!", and the indistinct Patronus (i.e. no stag) forms to drive away the dementors.

The only inconsistency is that in the earlier version of the scene Harry sees a stag before the Patronus is formed. In the Time-Turner sequence, we do not see that stag - the Patronus that Harry casts is that which consumes the stag in the earlier scene. This leads me to the conclusion that the early Harry (i.e. the one struggling for consciousness) imagines the stag, or else that the camera angle we see of the Time-Turner Harry does not show a stag (which is less likely, in my opinion).

(For comparison of the two scenes you can visit these two videos: The Dementor's Kiss and Time-Turner sequence.)
Ah, I see, that makes sense. Thanks for your answer and for sharing those videos!


__________________

"Dobby has no master. Dobby is a free elf and Dobby has come to save Harry Potter and his friends!"

Proud Hufflepuff

Friend -- For the Greater Good
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Bookmarks

Tags
chamber of secrets, felix felicics, goyle, lily evans, mature, slughorn, sorcerer's stone, tom riddle


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 2:29 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.