Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial > The Underground Lake

Underground Lake #33 - Cryptic Characters, Part 1: The Other Brother

Old March 15th, 2006, 6:33 am
MuggleNet Editorial

Underground Lake #33 - Cryptic Characters, Part 1: The Other Brother

Discussion for The Underground Lake #33 - Cryptic Characters, Part 1: The Other Brother by Brandon Ford.

My LiveJournal
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2006, 7:01 am
Second Year

Re: Underground Lake #33 - Cryptic Characters, Part 1: The Other Brother

Interesting thoughts! I really agree with you about Neville taking down Bellatrix. I hope he can seek his revenge on her.

Anyway, good editorial...I agree also that Aberforth will be important in book seven. I hadn't thought about him teaching though, but that would be cool.

Old March 15th, 2006, 9:03 am
First Year

do we actually know, that aberforth is the barman/innkeeper of the hog's head? aren't we just assuming it because the barman smells like goat?

Old March 15th, 2006, 10:40 am
Banned

Apparently the barman of the hogshead attended the funeral and looks a lots like Albus Dumbledore. I also think he listens into a lot of covert conversations that go on in there and probably reports back to his older brother which is why Albus seems to know a lot of what goes on everywhere. Also the fact the place smells like goats - maybe the charm he supposedly used on the goats has backfired and stuck on him - hence the smell. But then again I wonder if his patronus is a goat? Or even if he is an animagus and that is a goat (hence the smell). Although there hasn't been any mention of goats wandering around in the books.
I think we will be hearing more from him in Book 7 and if he is a lapsed member of the order he may rejoin to avenge his brother's death. We blame Snape for the death of Albus but when we look at the big picture Voldie was the ultimate cause. If he didn't exist then the chances are none of the really evil things would have happened. Though I suppose some other dark wizard could have happened along to cause the mayhem.
Another thought - perhaps Albus told his brother of some plan he may have had with Snape which he may have to divulge to Harry and the rest of the Order in order for Snape to come into effect and help overthrow Voldemort. It's all very mysterious but interesting to ponder on.

Old March 15th, 2006, 10:46 am
First Year

Hey Brandon ,I believe you missed the boat on old Abe. Didn't Albus say his brother can't read. Hard to teach without that element of education. I would agree that being a bartender he would need skills to handle the tipsy and mean wizards in the bar,a little dark magic might help.

Old March 15th, 2006, 11:16 am
First Year

Maybe Aberforth is married and there's a whole line of little Dumbledores out there somewhere!

Old March 15th, 2006, 11:20 am
First Year

We as good as know that Abe is DD's brother....

from the Edinburgh Book festival:

Q: Why is the barman of the Hog's Head vaguely familiar to Harry? Is he Dumbledore's brother?

A: Ooh you are getting good. Why do you think that it is Aberforth?
(Audience member: Various clues: He smells of goats and looks a bit like Dumbledore) I was quite proud of that clue. That is all that I am going to say. (Laughter). Well yes, obviously. I like the goat clue - I s******ed to myself about that one.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the ferret, Brandon!

Old March 15th, 2006, 3:36 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by yappa1
Hey Brandon ,I believe you missed the boat on old Abe. Didn't Albus say his brother can't read. Hard to teach without that element of education. I would agree that being a bartender he would need skills to handle the tipsy and mean wizards in the bar,a little dark magic might help.
I believe Dumbledore said in the book that he "was not sure he could read". And knowing JKR something like this shouldn't just be accepted as truth. I do reckon what Brandon says about his personlaty is pretty close to the truth.

Regarding these charms on goats, it sounds to me like the work of an entrepreneur, even though he wasn't a talented entrepreneur. It suggests that he may have experimented with magic, which again suggests that he isn't a completely talentless wizard. Whether he is good or bad is really impossible to say. However, I don't reckon he will be the next teacher. Maybe he has something to teach Harry, but he sounds way to unconventional to be the next DADA-teacher.

Red Hen's editorial about him is very interresting http://www.redhen-publications.com/Aberforth-Goat.html. He reckons Albus keeps information that Abe is his brother on the DL, so that Abe can spy at the place where we have multiple examples of crooks hanging out (Mundungus, the DE's back when Voldemort asked Albus for a teaching position, Voldemort when he gave Hagrid the egg).

Old March 15th, 2006, 4:04 pm
First Year

A thought (with no canon to support it whatsoever): What if Abe is as talented/more talented than DD? They came from the same gene pool, they could have been close as brothers so they may have shared/practiced with one another, so they may have decided together that one of them should stay incognito while the other leads from the front. Abe may have even shunned the spotlight because he may prefer the annonymity that comes with being just a bartender rather than Headmaster of Hogwarts.
Again, no canon to support - just a random thought to keep the pot stirring.

Old March 15th, 2006, 4:50 pm
First Year

Nice editorial Brandon. I have a few comments. First, I love the analysis of what Aberforth's personality may be, especially the bit about him being an uncut and uncensored version of Albus. I think you are right.

Next, I didn't get the impression that Albus was embarrased of his brother, I may have a foggy memory, so I'll go back and read. I think that would be unlikely given the type of person Dumbledore is. I think the fact that nobody has mentioned that the barman is Aberforth is very significant and will be important. I agree with you and everyone else who says he will have a crucial role to play in book seven. I cant wait to find out! I liked his personality in OOTP(grumpy people are funny).

Lastly, I'm a bit confused Brandon. I know your stance on TFPWWNBN is that he is still a good guy. Why do you think Aberforth should avenge Albus then? If he is a good guy it will obviously come out(I do not think JKR will leave us hanging) so there would be no need. Personally, I'd love to see him get his butt kicked, but I'm not a goody.

I TRUST HARRY POTTER

Last edited by misskneazle; March 15th, 2006 at 4:59 pm.
Old March 15th, 2006, 4:57 pm
First Year

Great editorial Brandon! I agree with a lot of things and pedictions you made, except the one that he will be the next DADA teacher.... as someone above already said, he can't read... I really don't see how he had even gotten through Hogwarts without being able to read, that is of course, assuming that what Dumbledore said about him is true.

Other than that I think you really hit the nail on the head on this one! I love all your comments, they make the editorial seem more personal! Keep them coming! And I can't wait to find out what you think the 'fate of the ferret' is!

Old March 15th, 2006, 5:04 pm
First Year

very nice editorial Brandon! i also think he will play a huge role in book 7

but, i wonder, does the rest of the order or anyone for that matter, know if Aberforth is Dumbledore's brother??

ahhh so many questions, so long to wait.....

Old March 15th, 2006, 5:24 pm
First Year

I think that Harry is on the road to figuring out that Abe is DD's brother, but is still not quite sure, and as the books are (mostly!) told from Harry's POV, that would be a reason why we haven't heard this theory as a direct statement. I also agree with an above post that Dumbledore wanted to keep the identity of his brother a secret to allow Abe to be in places that he would not otherwise be allowed in because of his relation with Dumbledore.
Harry may mention his idea that Abe is DD's brother to Ron and Hermione, and Ron may speak up since he's a pureblood and knows more about the wizarding world than either Harry or Hermione (I really wish they would show that in the movies, that's one of my biggest peeves, anyway). Ron could say that Abe is in fact DD's brother, or that nah, he's just one of DD's distanct cousins since the purebloods mostly inbred anyway.

Old March 15th, 2006, 6:07 pm
Third Year

What book is it in that Dumbledore talks about his brother? I cant remember and want to reread the part so I can refresh my memory.
Thanks, if anyone knows.

Old March 15th, 2006, 6:10 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I definatly think that Dumbledores brother could be very important in book7. Jk said we would meet a character that we have heard of but have not met properly. Also Hogs Head may be his assignment for several reasons
1) Watch Harry when he is not in school
2) He caught Snape listening in on the interview (if baddies are there he could pass info to the Order)
3) He heard DA meeting and was able to keep Dumbledore informed in a way
We really dont know a whole lot about him but he may be important to Harry in away. Dumbledore could have easily left instructions with his brother about what info to feed to Harry if he died.

Elizebeth: Barbosa marry us.
(best movie scene ever!)

"

Will Turner: "It depends on the one day.
Old March 15th, 2006, 7:43 pm
First Year

I think Abe was on assighment via working in the HogsHead. Didn't Hagrid say that the HogsHead brought all sorts of strange people, and Sirius (or Lupin) say that it's not a grat place if you do NOT want ot be overheard? So what other services would be better for Ol'Abe????
Also, JKR said that we would see a lot more of Dumbledore....but she didn't clarify which Dumbledore we would see more of!!! There's Albus's potrait(s) and Abe

Old March 15th, 2006, 7:57 pm
First Year

Quote:
Maybe Aberforth is married and there's a whole line of little Dumbledores out there somewhere!
I love that idea!

Old March 15th, 2006, 8:00 pm
Second Year

I don't think they will cast Aberforth in the Ootp movie, and maybe not in HBP either. All they need to show is a shady character behind the bar with so much beard that we can't really see him. There is a chance that he has Slytherin's locket and Harry will realise this in book 7. I can see RAB, the locket that no-one could open in Grimmauld Place and Dung stealing (or was he really passing on?) Black heirlooms and giving them to Aberforth all coming together in Harry's mind. Then the trio will visit Aberforth at the Hog's Head.

It's interesting that Dumbledore was relying on Aberforth for information as far back as the time when Voldemort came to him wanting the DADA job. Aberforth obviously let him know that Death Eaters were staying at the Hog's Head. I don't think we'll find out that Albus and Aberforth didn't get on with one another or that Aberforth was jealous of Albus or anything. We know that Albus frequently visited the Hog's Head. If he didn't get on with his brother he wouldn't do this.

Old March 15th, 2006, 8:07 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcnbedbugs
What book is it in that Dumbledore talks about his brother? I cant remember and want to reread the part so I can refresh my memory.
Thanks, if anyone knows.
Check hp-lexicon.org. They'll have everything there is to know about Abe and refer you back to book and chapter.

I thought it was interesting, Brandon, that you referred to "kids" twice. Were you referring to children or baby goats? We already know he has a problem with "kids." It would be interesting to know what the inappropriate charm was. It might have been a bit of muggle-baiting.

I've always felt that the key to Aberforth lay in the Sherlock Holmes mysteries. Sherlock had an older, smarter brother named Mycroft. Mycroft spent most of his time in a restaurant/club that he helped found, and once in a while, Sherlock had to go consult him. Sounds a bit like Aberforth to me.

Old March 15th, 2006, 8:47 pm
First Year

Definitely agree with what dear Brandon said: except for the teaching part. Other than his apparent illiteracy, I doubt Hogwarts would stoop to hiring a bartender to teach DADA to students who may need some good DADA help very soon. However, I like the idea of Harry getting to know Abe and trying to conect with him but finding him "unconnectable." So maybe Abe will come up in the OoTP a bit more, if Harry gets more involved with it himself (which is likely, as there are many he can trust in the Order).

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial > The Underground Lake