Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

The Living Dead: Why Regulus Black Faked His Death

Old May 5th, 2006, 7:33 am
MuggleNet Editorial

The Living Dead: Why Regulus Black Faked His Death

Discussion of the editorial The Living Dead: Why Regulus Black Faked His Death by Maggie B.

Last edited by blaqlives; May 5th, 2006 at 7:44 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2006, 8:19 am
First Year

Re: The Living Dead: Why Regulus Black Faked His Death

very thoughtful, still nobody is making it clear if any death eater even knew about horcruxes or not, please clarify

Old May 5th, 2006, 8:38 am
First Year

I definitely can see some plot possibilities that stem from a living Regulus, but if Regulus were still alive, would Kreacher have been able to pass into Harry's possession after Sirius's death? I suppose it depends on the nature of the magic that binds a house elf to a family. Or does it bind the elf to the house, in which case when the house passed to Harry then so did the elf?

Old May 5th, 2006, 9:06 am
First Year

I don't agree with this editorial at all....mainly because

1) We do not *exactly* know who is RAB. I mean why would any death eater write - hey Voldy i'm RAB. Perhaps someone wanted to frame R.A.B. RAB<>BAR. May be its the B A R man.

2) Whoever switched the locket must be an expert potioneer. How many expert potioneers do we know in HP Series?

3) Voldemort expected Snape to kill Dumbledore but Draco to try first. If you read HBP clearly.

4) Maybe Voldemort is aware of this locket missing, so he must be searching for it secretly.

5) Also I think Regulus is not alive.. because sirius knew about his death...oh yea there is Draught of Living Death but who wants to sleep in grave for so many years.

But this potion is bit scary....maybe we will find more

First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DagnytheDaft
I definitely can see some plot possibilities that stem from a living Regulus, but if Regulus were still alive, would Kreacher have been able to pass into Harry's possession after Sirius's death? I suppose it depends on the nature of the magic that binds a house elf to a family. Or does it bind the elf to the house, in which case when the house passed to Harry then so did the elf?
perhaps Regulus secretly gave the order to Kreacher that he must obey Harry.
It would make sense in my opinion, Regulus wouldn't want a house elf to betray his secret.

Great editorial! i'll keep this one on my mind.

the note said: 'i'll be death long before you read this'.

But that could still be plan of the diversion, to make Voldemort think Regulus stole the locket BEFORE he died.

Third Year

Each time I get into a discussion about RAB or Dumbledore I have to bring up this point ( about the possibility of one of them being alive ), reference HBP, American version, page 591 and 592.

"No, you can't," said Malfoy, his wand hand shaking very badly indeed. "Nobody can. He told me to do it or he'd kill me. I've got no choice."

"He cannot kill you if your already dead. Come over to the right side, Draco, and we can hide you more completely than you can possibly manage..."

Of course Dumbledore goes on to say how he could send people to help make his mother disapear and later on his father. What gets me is the statement, "We can hide you more completely than you can possibly imagine."

That's a big statement and a big clue. Dumbledore says it with confidence and a matter-of-fact attitude like he's done it before. If he has, then when and who. I don't recall Dumbledore or anyone else from the OOTP hiding anyone. Why did JKR put that particular statement in?

Could Dumbledore have helped to hide Regulus? Maybe Snape isn't really Snape and it's RAB taking polyjuice potion.

EVERYBODY CUT FOOTLOOSE...
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:25 am
Second Year

This editorial had some interesting ideas... but remember, on JKR's site, there was a question: Is Regulus Black alive? And the answer was: He's pretty quiet these days. I tried to find it on her site, but I can't find it right now... maybe she took it off? Or maybe I'm just too lazy to search thoroughly...
By the way, I'm not sure whether the answer was: He's pretty quiet these days, or No, he's pretty quiet these days...
If there was no 'no', he may be asleep, having drunk the Draught of the Living Dead... possibly...

Oh, and in Sirius' (who was the oldest living Black, so inherited everything) will, it said that everything was Harry's now... so, maybe Regulus didn't have more right to owning Kreacher than Harry... that is if he's still alive...

And remember that Slughorn has taught Regulus... (he said so in Chapter 4) so maybe Harry will have a nice little chat again with him in the future... I'm sure Slughorn knows something about what Regulus was good at etc...

Last edited by HP_hedgehog; May 5th, 2006 at 10:31 am.
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:27 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispep
Of course Dumbledore goes on to say how he could send people to help make his mother disapear and later on his father. What gets me is the statement, "We can hide you more completely than you can possibly imagine."

That's a big statement and a big clue. Dumbledore says it with confidence and a matter-of-fact attitude like he's done it before. If he has, then when and who. I don't recall Dumbledore or anyone else from the OOTP hiding anyone. Why did JKR put that particular statement in?
James and Lily?

Old May 5th, 2006, 12:43 pm
First Year

It's not actually on Jo's site, it was in the World Book Day Chat:
(http://www.mugglenet.com/jkrwbd.shtml, quite near the bottom of the page)

* Cathedral: Will we be hearing anything from Sirius Black's brother, Regulus, in future books?
JK Rowling replies -> Well, he's dead, so he's pretty quiet these days.

And WHY WHY WHY was that very interesting quote about the Order hiding people left out of the British version????

"Voldemort put a bit of himself in me?" Harry said, thunderstruck.
"It certainly seems so." said Dumbledore calmly, "Not something he intended to do, I'm sure..." (CoS, in McGonagall's office in the last chapter) hmmmm...
Old May 5th, 2006, 1:39 pm
First Year

In spite of the quote above of JKR saying Regulus was dead, the hypothesis o Regulus being alive is one I find extremely probable. Of course JKR wouldn't tell us that Regulus was not really dead. And a fake dead must keep quiet as well, mustn't he?

And we heard a lot about him in HBP, much more than it would be necessary if he would not be important. Lupin mentions him and Slughorn mentions him, in both cases without adding relevant information to HBP's plot. Of course it can be explained by him being R.A.B.

But the reason I find this a plausible idea is that in OotP, it seems there to be something strange about Grimmauld Place's attic and the way Kreacher was attached to the house. The ghoul didn't live in the attic, as ghouls usually do, for instance.

I think it is a possibility that Regulus is hidden under some sort of Fidelius Charm and Kreacher is his secret Keeper. And that he ordered Kreacher to act as if he was Harry's because Regulus doesn't want Bellatrix to think she inherited the house (the real heir is Regulus himself, of course). It's better for him that the Order goes on using the house and keeps Death Eaters far from it.

Old May 5th, 2006, 2:21 pm
First Year

I like the idea of Regulus being alive, but I'm not sure taking the Draught would achieve that purpose. A good deal of the speculation regarding Dumbledore still being alive is that he drank the Draught before Snape "killed" him, and then he appeared dead to anyone who saw him. If Regulus did the same, wouldn't we be privvy to some sort of incidence in which he faked his death? Dumbledore, in talking to Malfoy, does not necessarily mean the same in hiding the Malfoys, he could be talking about any number of means.

All of this said I still love the idea of RAB being alive - perhaps a repentent death eater who could be "good" (as opposed to Snape who is at least repugnant if not bad) could give lots of support to the cause, as well as being a tie to Sirius, which would be a direct support to Harry. There has been talk on the boards that Harry will have to live with his dark side more than he has, perhaps a live/resurrected Regulus, able to sort of represent Sirius, could bring Harry back from the "dark side".

Old May 5th, 2006, 2:42 pm
Fifth Year

JKR said Regulus is dead. 'nuff said.

Old May 5th, 2006, 3:14 pm
First Year

Somebody above mentioned that this theory resides on the fact that RAB is Regulas. After reading HBP the first time I looked at many other options. RAB = BAR inverted. What dyslexic bar man do we know apart from Aberforth? But after looking further, the unnecessary name drops of Regulas throughout the book- it HAS to be him.

JKR has hidden many Regulas related things in the text and the most notable one I found is when Hermione is looking up RABs in books and she finds ROSALIND ANTIGONE BUNGS. Change the letters around and we have

REGULAS BOND NOT NAGINI.

I definitley believe that RAB is Regulas and I love this idea that he has used the infamous DoLD to hide away. If he wrote that note, he knows about the Horcrux in the cave and from the way he says "when you meet your match" I also believe he KNEW about the prophecy. Which now begs the question - was he at Godric's Hollow that night?

Old May 5th, 2006, 3:19 pm
Inconceivable!

Besides the fact that JK Rowling said he was dead, you have the transfer of Kreacher to Harry to prove he was really dead.

There are a lot of other characters who names have been dropped as either being dead or believed to be dead that could apply to the Draught of Living Death hints.

But it was a well written editorial.

Old May 5th, 2006, 3:41 pm
Third Year

While the RAB being BAR inverted thing is a pretty neat idea, I think with the release of the translations worldwide pretty much settled that the note was indeed from Regulus. For those who don't know, the last initial matches the first letter of the word for black in every language it's been printed in.

I liked this editorial. I don't think Regulus is alive now, but it's interesting that he may have faked his death at the time and died since. JKR has never outright lied to us, she's just alluded answers when she had to.

Old May 5th, 2006, 4:19 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyp
In spite of the quote above of JKR saying Regulus was dead, the hypothesis o Regulus being alive is one I find extremely probable. Of course JKR wouldn't tell us that Regulus was not really dead. And a fake dead must keep quiet as well, mustn't he?
JKR is not going to lie to her fans!!

There are some interesting observations in this article, but so much stuffed into it that I feel confused. And I reject its conclusion. This has been the format of Mugglenet eds of late: a really outrageous though imaginitive conclusion backed up by scanty references to the books. I'm a bit tired of it. Couldn't we have something else for a change? I hope some Mugglenet editors are reading this.

Old May 5th, 2006, 7:48 pm
Third Year

I completely agree with VivianU. I don't think Jo intentionally lies to her fans, because
1) that would be lying
2) she has gotten by very well with misdirection and
3) one perceived lie could ruin the series.
As a fan, if I felt I was being lied to, how could I reliably know what to trust? I wouldn't really be able to believe any hints or answers Jo has ever given and that would be disastrous because so many big theories are based off things she has said, danced around, ruled out, etc.

And I don't think this is one quote where there are different interpretations. She said Regulus is dead in nine words.

So, taking this into account, this editorial isn't much better than decent stuff on the forums. I guess we haven't had a nod to one of the major topics (Horcruxes, RAB, locket, etc) in awhile and so this editorial got picked up. It's certainly well written, although it has weak supports, and doesn't really bring any new information to the table. Sorry, I'm harsh about MN editorials. They have such a legacy to live up to.

Old May 5th, 2006, 9:41 pm
Second Year

I agree with those who state that JKR wouldn't outright lie about Regulus being dead.

Old May 5th, 2006, 9:57 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispep
Could Dumbledore have helped to hide Regulus?
If Dumbledore and the Order had hidden Regulus, wouldn't Sirius and Lupin have known about it? And even if not, Dumbledore certainly would.
Hiding someone completely from the whole wizarding world and in particular Voldemort can't be an easy thing and I'm sure the Order wouldn't attempt it without very good reason. That means that, if Regulus wanted to be hidden by the Order, he would have had to tell them (or at least Dumbledore, as head of the Order) his story. So, if Dumbledore had known Regulus' story, he would also have known about Regulus' involvement with the locket horcrux. In which case why ever would he spend so much time trying to locate it, let alone face possible death (for he certainly knew it was dangerous) in order to destroy it?!?

"Oh, these people's minds work in strange ways, Petunia, they're not like you and me," said Uncle Vernon, trying to knock in a nail with the piece of fruit cake Aunt Petunia had just brought him. (PS/SS)

- After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. (Dumbledore, PS/SS)
- And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure. (HBP)

There can't be a connection, there just can't. Or can there?
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:33 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Add me to the Jo-wouldn't-lie-camp. She could have finessed an answer to that question if she'd needed to.

I think Emmeline Vance is being hidden in the way Dumbledore described to Draco.

And I'm not at all convinced that Voldemort wanted Snape eventually to kill Dumbledore. He assigned that task to Draco in the confident assurance that Draco would fail. Why would Voldemort want another Death-Eater to kill Albus--to do that which Voldemort himself had proven unable to do? That would quite likely set up this other Death Eater--Snape, in this scenario--as a rival with followers of his own. The only reason we have to think that Voldemort did this is that Snape said so in Spinners End . . . and in that chapter it's obvious that he doesn't know diddly about Draco's task until, by telling them he knows the secret and then building on things the sisters say, he convinces them that he does know and they let enough info drop for him to figure it out (it was enough for me to figure it out, and I'm not as smart as Snape).

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial