Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

A Fate Worse than Death

Old June 24th, 2007, 1:52 pm
Banned

Re: A Fate Worse than Death

I think that by "a fate worse than death" it means Voldemort will die, but completely cease to exist.

I mean, he will have no soul to "go on" to the other side of the veil, so I think he will be completely dead and gone, forever more, whereas if someone like Harry with an untarnished soul were to die, he would spend eternity beyond the veil.

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2007, 3:57 pm
Offishul Fan Girl

Re: Worse than death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLuna View Post
I have a theory on this subject (although I think I got it from an editorial, so it's not really mine).

I would love to see Voldemort get the Dementor's Kiss before the Horcruxes are destroyed, so he will be immortal, but have no soul. Crucio'd into insanity and keeping immortality wouldn't be bad, either.
Yikes! Wouldn't want to cross wands with you!

To answer the original question, making Voldemort wish for death would probably be the worst fate he could have (face? receive?), especially since he fears and loathes the idea of death so very much.

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
And he knew how long THEY lasted.
Old June 24th, 2007, 4:01 pm
First Year

Is Voldemort going to be turned into a Dementor/Kissed by one?

Old June 24th, 2007, 4:31 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookshanks_RAB View Post
Is Voldemort going to be turned into a Dementor/Kissed by one?
I doubt 'A Fate worse than Death' would mean being kissed by a Dementor, as they suck out your soul, and Voldemort's soul is shattered and in pieces, so they'd only be destroying 1/7 of his soul which isn't actually that bad.

I think it'll be that he'll die, but have no one miss him, as love is one of the most powerful enotions, and he'll never experience it.

proud gryffindor
Old June 24th, 2007, 4:33 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

To Voldemort nothing is worse then death. To Harry i think that him losing everyone he loves and living would be a fate worse then death. I think it really would depend on the character. To many a dementors kiss is worse then death.

Elizebeth: Barbosa marry us.
(best movie scene ever!)

"

Will Turner: "It depends on the one day.
Old June 24th, 2007, 5:58 pm
Seventh Year

i would say the dementors kiss is worse then death i mean you have nothing to live for, no soul,...nothing. death is but another great adventure, that is what dd says. i think that hary wil not use the ak curse against voldy, he will get rid of him some other way i don't see harry as the murdering type

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Old June 24th, 2007, 6:52 pm
First Year

I would say that have your soul stucked out is worse than death in a spiritual way

But... if you do not have soul, you shall not feel, hum?

I don't really think that those kissed really miss their lives.

Old June 24th, 2007, 7:08 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSerpent7 View Post
Well, "worse than death" was used by Remus Lupin to describe the Dementors Kiss but I think thats too good for Voldemort. Yes Losing his powers would be worse than death to him but he has already experienced that thanks to Lilys Sacrifice and Harry
The only power he had left was possesion
This would be a superb punishment for someone evil, as death is most definitly preferable. But would it be enough for Voldemort?

To just loose his powers would not be a suitable punishment on it's own, as people would still fear him and he would still be able to talk so could get old Death Eaters to do his bidding. We have seen already that Azkaban is not 100% escape proof.

Old June 24th, 2007, 7:45 pm
First Year

I have a feeling that whatever happens to a person when they fall through the veil is worse than death. I don't think they die exactly, I think they're destroyed. Harry assumed Sirius died after he fell through the veil, but no-one else actually confirmed this as far as I can recall (though I could be wrong). Here's what Lupin says:

"He can't come back Harry [...] He can't come back because he's d_"

"HE IS NOT DEAD" roared Harry.

Then again, perhaps the fate worse than death has something to do with love:

Dumbledore: "There is a room in the Department of Mysteries [...] that is kept locked at all times. It contains a force that is at once more wonderful and more terrible than death [...]. It is the power held within that room that you possess in such quantities [...]."

Admittedly, he says a "force" more terrible than death, not a fate worse than death. But here's something I've always wondered about - the look of triumph in Dumbledore's eye when he learns that Voldemort had used Harry's blood to regenerate. Perhaps in using some of Harry's blood, Voldemort has transferred some of that power (love) to himself. Perhaps this will be his undoing in the end. Loving can be wonderful, but it can also be terrible - unrequited love, for example, or losing a loved one are painful. Loving is always a risk in this sense because it makes you vulnerable to pain. So maybe thats what's in store for Voldemort.

Old July 11th, 2007, 10:34 pm
Third Year

I liked the "Voldemort becomes ghost" thread. That would be a fate worse than death since the Ministry can deal with ghosts like they did to force Myrtle to live at Hogwarts. He could take the agony of a bodiless spirit for a dozen years, but I think he'd have a hard time being the prisoner of the Ministry as a ghost.

Old July 11th, 2007, 10:42 pm
First Year

i have 3 ideas
1. he loses his power this is worse that death to him becasue he is just like a muggle now and he hates muggles
2. harry destoys all of his horcruxes and auors capture him and he ends up in azkaban and has to know that he will die of old age
3.somehow he is shown love by belletrix and cant take it and cant escape the feeling of love

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy"

"To the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure."

It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated."

"Its the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."

"Voldemort himself created his own worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress?"
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:58 pm
First Year

I think Bellatrix will kill him because he's lied about being a pure blood wizard. And he goes to his death knowing all the remaining horcrux's have been destroyed and he can never return.

......for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:21 pm
Second Year

I suppose the dementors kiss is worse than death, but i still reckon there has to be something else.

Old July 12th, 2007, 1:32 am
Sixth Year

For Voldemort - I think death is enough because that's hi worst fear.

But for *cough* normal people, I think the Dementor's Kiss is definitely right up there. And so is being tortured to death/insanity. Getting snatched of all your power could also be horrible, but it's not that terrible because people get used to anything.

Old July 12th, 2007, 2:07 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I think for a wizard/witch it would be the lose of their powers. How great would it be if Voldy lost his powers and had to live the rest of his life as a muggle that he so earnestly despises.

However, I would only be slightly happy with that ending, because I just want to see him snuff it.

Old July 12th, 2007, 2:51 am
Secret Keeper

Things that are worse than death

Extreme pain
Becoming insane
Soul destroyed, not neccesarily by a dementor
Losing all powers
Losing all power and fear over everyone

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old July 12th, 2007, 3:18 am
Sixth Year

I honestly think that if Voldemort loses his power, he'll spend the rest of existence trying to gain it back. There's a reason Rowling said "neither can live while the other survives". In the end, one of them IS going to kill the other one. That kinda seals the outcome for at least one. It may be that Harry makes voldemort lose his powers BEFORE he kills him, however...

Old July 12th, 2007, 3:40 am
Fifth Year

Do you think it would be possible for Voldemort to be stripped of his magical powers? I just thought of X-Men 3 where they developed a cure for the mutant gene... what if Harry found a way of depriving Voldemort of all magical abilities? He would lose all the power he once had, which is what he lived for.

Here lies Dobby, a free elf.

"That wand's more trouble than it's worth, and quite honestly, I've had enough trouble for a lifetime."
Old July 12th, 2007, 3:44 am
Sixth Year

Yeah, but he'd still be "living" while Harry "survived", even when he didn't have his powers. And to be honest, the only way Harry can "strip" Voldemort of all his power completely... is to make him feel that which he has fought against continually. He has to make Voldemort "love" something, and then "lose" it. I wouldn't call Voldemort's thirst for power a love affair, I call it a maniacal dementia that has completely destroyed everything he was and is controlling that which he has become.

Old July 12th, 2007, 4:10 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm_jim View Post
has anyone thought about the fact that Harry could use the dementors to search for the horcruxes? I know this is kind of off topic but... oh well. The dementors eat the soul inside the horcruxes and then the man himself(the fate worse then death).
Yeah, assuming Harry could control the dementors. With Voldie back...not likely!! lol

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies