Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

When will book 7 start?



 
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old May 10th, 2006, 1:01 am
xchrisvx xchrisvx is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 5186 days
Posts: 39
Re: How much time will be unrecorded?

Anyone notice how book 6 was the first one to end before they got on the Hogwarts Express. It leads me to believe that book 7 may pick up when they get off the train. Thus the elapsed time between the two may only be a few hours. Kind of like one continuous story.


Sponsored Links
  #22  
Old May 10th, 2006, 1:07 am
limi's Avatar
limi  Female.gif limi is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4316 days
Location: Alpha Centauri
Age: 30
Posts: 737
Re: How much time will be unrecorded?

I think we'll continue exactly where we left off, and that something important will happen on the way to King's Cross. Maybe Voldemort and his DEs will attack the train and try to kill Harry?


__________________
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
  #23  
Old May 10th, 2006, 1:16 pm
meesha1971's Avatar
meesha1971  Female.gif meesha1971 is offline
Master of the Magical Arts
 
Joined: 4696 days
Location: The Unknowable Room
Age: 47
Posts: 12,731
Re: How much time will be unrecorded?

Jo said that HBP and book 7 would be like two halves of the same book but each could stand on its own. For that reason, I think that book 7 will pick up immediately after HBP left off. I don't think it will be at Hogwarts but HBP is the only book so far that has not shown them go home on the Hogwarts Express at the end.

So, I think it will pick up that same day with them on the Hogwarts Express or arriving at Kings Cross. The Dursleys always pick Harry up at Kings Cross so I don't think we would pick up with up with them arriving at the Dursleys. I'm more inclined to think that it will begin with them on the train since that was not shown in HBP. The Dursleys will pick Harry up at the station as usual and get the surprise that Ron and Hermione are going to be staying with Harry.

As far as his stay at the Dursleys - I think it would be wise for them to stay until Harry's birthday. They can't really do anything until Harry comes of age anyway and neither Harry nor Ron has gotten their license to apparate yet. I think that will occur after Harry comes of age - they'll take the test together and pass.

There is also the factor that HBP ended much earlier than the first five books. The school term usually ends around the end of June but, because of Dumbledore's death, term ended about a month early for HBP. That means that Harry's birthday won't come around for two months - as opposed to the usual one month. That is another reason that I think it would be wise for them to stay at the Dursleys until Harry's birthday.

Being at the Dursleys will not be completely enjoyable because of the Dursleys' attitude but Ron and Hermione will make the stay more enjoyable - or at least bearable because Harry won't have to deal with them on his own for a change. It also provides them with an excellent opportunity for research without worry of anyone finding out what they are up to - the Dursleys won't care. So, they should take advantage of those two months to research and plan what they are going to do.

And we also have several things that have to be resolved before Harry leaves the Dursleys forever. Jo said that we would find out what Dudley saw when the dementors attacked in OOTP. Plus we have issues with Petunia that need to be resolved. I really don't think there will be a "heart to heart" but I think that Petunia does have information to impart - even if she does it reluctantly. And I think that at least some of the backstory for Lily and James will come from Petunia - at least for Lily anyway.


__________________

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling


All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

  #24  
Old May 10th, 2006, 2:18 pm
limi's Avatar
limi  Female.gif limi is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4316 days
Location: Alpha Centauri
Age: 30
Posts: 737
Re: How much time will be unrecorded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971
Jo said that HBP and book 7 would be like two halves of the same book but each could stand on its own. For that reason, I think that book 7 will pick up immediately after HBP left off. I don't think it will be at Hogwarts but HBP is the only book so far that has not shown them go home on the Hogwarts Express at the end.

So, I think it will pick up that same day with them on the Hogwarts Express or arriving at Kings Cross. The Dursleys always pick Harry up at Kings Cross so I don't think we would pick up with up with them arriving at the Dursleys. I'm more inclined to think that it will begin with them on the train since that was not shown in HBP. The Dursleys will pick Harry up at the station as usual and get the surprise that Ron and Hermione are going to be staying with Harry.

As far as his stay at the Dursleys - I think it would be wise for them to stay until Harry's birthday. They can't really do anything until Harry comes of age anyway and neither Harry nor Ron has gotten their license to apparate yet. I think that will occur after Harry comes of age - they'll take the test together and pass.

There is also the factor that HBP ended much earlier than the first five books. The school term usually ends around the end of June but, because of Dumbledore's death, term ended about a month early for HBP. That means that Harry's birthday won't come around for two months - as opposed to the usual one month. That is another reason that I think it would be wise for them to stay at the Dursleys until Harry's birthday.

Being at the Dursleys will not be completely enjoyable because of the Dursleys' attitude but Ron and Hermione will make the stay more enjoyable - or at least bearable because Harry won't have to deal with them on his own for a change. It also provides them with an excellent opportunity for research without worry of anyone finding out what they are up to - the Dursleys won't care. So, they should take advantage of those two months to research and plan what they are going to do.

And we also have several things that have to be resolved before Harry leaves the Dursleys forever. Jo said that we would find out what Dudley saw when the dementors attacked in OOTP. Plus we have issues with Petunia that need to be resolved. I really don't think there will be a "heart to heart" but I think that Petunia does have information to impart - even if she does it reluctantly. And I think that at least some of the backstory for Lily and James will come from Petunia - at least for Lily anyway.
I agree with everything you said, and would like to add a few more things:
Ron and Hermione staying with Harry would make the Dursleys much more tolerable because Ron and Hermione are both of age, meaning they could jinx the Dursleys if they misbehave... could be fun!
Secondly, Ron and Hermione have to tell their parents of their decision to stay with Harry. Hermione's parents never seem to stop her doing anything, but Mrs. Weasley won't be happy because she knows they're willingly heading for serious trouble with serously evil wizards...


__________________
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
  #25  
Old May 10th, 2006, 2:40 pm
Semnai  Female.gif Semnai is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4372 days
Location: Behind you.
Age: 27
Posts: 128
Re: How much time will be unrecorded?

Quote:
So, I think it will pick up that same day with them on the Hogwarts Express or arriving at Kings Cross. The Dursleys always pick Harry up at Kings Cross so I don't think we would pick up with up with them arriving at the Dursleys. I'm more inclined to think that it will begin with them on the train since that was not shown in HBP. The Dursleys will pick Harry up at the station as usual and get the surprise that Ron and Hermione are going to be staying with Harry.
But didn't the school term at Hogwarts end early because of Dumbledore's death? So wouldn't the Dursleys not know that Harry's coming home early? This would be unless the school sends home a note, but I can't see the Dursleys with owl post. If the Dursleys aren't at Kings Cross Station, than Harry will probably apperate home with Ron and Hermione. I think this is where the story will start. Harry, Ron, and Hermione arriving at Privet Drive. That would be amusing! So not much time would unrecorded.


__________________
"You know, Minister, I disagree with Dumbledore on many counts...but you cannot deny he's got style..."

"Give her hell from us, Peeves."

Proud Harry Potter fan for 8 years!
  #26  
Old May 10th, 2006, 2:48 pm
limi's Avatar
limi  Female.gif limi is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4316 days
Location: Alpha Centauri
Age: 30
Posts: 737
Re: How much time will be unrecorded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semnai
But didn't the school term at Hogwarts end early because of Dumbledore's death? So wouldn't the Dursleys not know that Harry's coming home early? This would be unless the school sends home a note, but I can't see the Dursleys with owl post. If the Dursleys aren't at Kings Cross Station, than Harry will probably apperate home with Ron and Hermione. I think this is where the story will start. Harry, Ron, and Hermione arriving at Privet Drive. That would be amusing! So not much time would unrecorded.
The school would have to send letters to all the parents so that they would pick their children up. And the Dursleys do know how to use owl post even if they don't like it, after all they did send Harry so called "christmas presents".


__________________
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
  #27  
Old May 10th, 2006, 5:12 pm
SilentDreamer  Female.gif SilentDreamer is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4308 days
Location: Very good question...
Posts: 42
Re: How much time will be unrecorded?

I think the story will pick up when Harry first gets off the train and is erm-'greeted' by the Dursleys, or right when they get on the train. Very small time lapse, I know, but I have a feeling that is how Jo has wrote it(assuming she's writing the book in order) for she has said that book six and seven are 'two halves of one book', so I think the time lapse will be very minimum.

I'm looking forward to Ron and Hermione being there, though. It's going to be really amusing. Especially since Ron and Hermione are both of age now in the wizarding world, it'd be funny if Hermione offered to fix dinner or something and she's fixing it with magic.

Heh, getting off topic a bit I guess-but yeah. My final answer will be when they get off the train and are picked up by the Dursleys.


__________________


There's a problem with the polyjuice potion...and it's causing a commotion...

Rock on Hermione Crookshanks Experience!
  #28  
Old May 10th, 2006, 7:26 pm
meesha1971's Avatar
meesha1971  Female.gif meesha1971 is offline
Master of the Magical Arts
 
Joined: 4696 days
Location: The Unknowable Room
Age: 47
Posts: 12,731
Re: How much time will be unrecorded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by limi
I agree with everything you said, and would like to add a few more things:
Ron and Hermione staying with Harry would make the Dursleys much more tolerable because Ron and Hermione are both of age, meaning they could jinx the Dursleys if they misbehave... could be fun!
Secondly, Ron and Hermione have to tell their parents of their decision to stay with Harry. Hermione's parents never seem to stop her doing anything, but Mrs. Weasley won't be happy because she knows they're willingly heading for serious trouble with serously evil wizards...
I don't think Ron and Hermione will actually do anything to the Dursleys. As we have seen in the past - just the threat of it will be enough. We saw that in COS before they learned that Harry was not allowed to do magic outside of school and we saw it in GOF after they had learned about Sirius. Their fear of magic changed their behavior even though neither Harry nor Sirius ever actually did anything.

It will be interesting to see how Ron and Hermione explain this to their parents. I don't think Mrs. Weasley will have too much of a problem with Ron going because Dumbledore explained the protection at Privet Dr. to her in GOF - she knows they will be safe there. Plus Ron is of age.

Hermione's parents remain a mystery. Her staying at the Burrow is quite a bit different. Her parents have met the Weasleys and Hermione always stays in Ginny's room. This would not be the case with her staying with the Dursleys. They have never met them and there are no other girls in the house. Plus - being muggles - they may not like the fact that Hermione is considered to be of age now. I think Hermione will convince them but I wonder if Jo will show this on page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semnai
But didn't the school term at Hogwarts end early because of Dumbledore's death? So wouldn't the Dursleys not know that Harry's coming home early? This would be unless the school sends home a note, but I can't see the Dursleys with owl post. If the Dursleys aren't at Kings Cross Station, than Harry will probably apperate home with Ron and Hermione. I think this is where the story will start. Harry, Ron, and Hermione arriving at Privet Drive. That would be amusing! So not much time would unrecorded.
Term officially ended early because of Dumbledore's death. Arrangements would have to be made to get all the students home safely at the earlier date. As limi pointed out, owls would have been sent to the parents/guardians of children going home on the Hogwarts express so they would know to pick their kids up. The Dursleys don't like owl post but they have received letters from the school before. Plus McGonagall knows a lot about the Dursleys so it's possible that she contacts them another way. Either way, they will have been informed that Harry will be arriving early.

Harry and Ron cannot apparate yet so they cannot apparate to Privet Dr.


__________________

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling


All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

  #29  
Old May 10th, 2006, 9:06 pm
maxbeedo  Male.gif maxbeedo is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4302 days
Age: 34
Posts: 155
Re: How much time will be unrecorded?

I'm not sure JKR could legitimately leave out Ron and Hermione staying with Harry at the Dursleys, because that's such an "odd" idea to just skip over with just a summary. As far as Hermione's Parents go, being muggles as well they could visit her at the Dursleys, but we haven't really been given much explanation for their absense thus far, so that's the only scenario I can think of that's possible, although still not likely.


  #30  
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:58 pm
limi's Avatar
limi  Female.gif limi is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4316 days
Location: Alpha Centauri
Age: 30
Posts: 737
Re: How much time will be unrecorded?

Hermione's parents aren't absent, they're just very minor characters. We've seen them in COS exchanging money at Gringotts, and in OotP at the very end when members of the order threaten the Dursleys abotu the way they treat Harry.


__________________
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
  #31  
Old July 14th, 2006, 6:42 pm
bookwrm988  Female.gif bookwrm988 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4597 days
Location: Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 163
WHEN will book 7 start?

I'm pretty sure that I looked at all the threads created in the past two years involving the words "book seven" and I didn't find this topic. I saw one about HOW book 7 will start, but that's not really what I wanted to ask.

My question is this: WHEN will it start-will there be a flashback to explain further backstory? Will it start on Harry's seventeenth birthday? Sometime before or after that? Just curious and wanted to hear some opinions.


__________________
Flowers make me smile
  #32  
Old July 14th, 2006, 7:32 pm
meesha1971's Avatar
meesha1971  Female.gif meesha1971 is offline
Master of the Magical Arts
 
Joined: 4696 days
Location: The Unknowable Room
Age: 47
Posts: 12,731
Re: WHEN will book 7 start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwrm988
I'm pretty sure that I looked at all the threads created in the past two years involving the words "book seven" and I didn't find this topic. I saw one about HOW book 7 will start, but that's not really what I wanted to ask.

My question is this: WHEN will it start-will there be a flashback to explain further backstory? Will it start on Harry's seventeenth birthday? Sometime before or after that? Just curious and wanted to hear some opinions.
Jo's mentioned this in the interview with Time -

"J.K. Rowling Hogwarts And All," Time Magazine, July 17, 2005But future insecurities can wait. Rowling still has book seven to worry about. She has already started writing. "It will be a very different kind of book," she says, "because I kind of cue up the shot at the end of six, and you're left with a very clear idea of what Harry's going to do next."


Based on that, I think book 7 will pick up right where HBP left off - just after Dumbledore's funeral.


__________________

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling


All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

  #33  
Old July 14th, 2006, 7:47 pm
Culte Ventosus  Undisclosed.gif Culte Ventosus is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5046 days
Posts: 191
Re: WHEN will book 7 start?

If Harry is still on Privet Drive on his birthday, his protection will end, and bedlam will break out. The "desperate circumstances" under which an older character will perform magic for the first time will occur. JKR said it won't be Dudders or Aunt Petunia, leaving most likely Mrs Figg, or, gulp, Uncle Vernon...
When asked once, whether Harry had ever used magic on Dudley, JKR said "not yet" and called that info a clue, or something to that effect. As somebody noted above, we will find out about Dudley's dementor fears. Ron & Hermione may arrive at a fortunate time... There may be a fight of some sort.


  #34  
Old July 14th, 2006, 8:18 pm
OwlPatronus's Avatar
OwlPatronus  Male.gif OwlPatronus is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4528 days
Location: The second moon of Jupiter.
Age: 30
Posts: 1,375
Re: WHEN will book 7 start?

I don't think the desperate circumstances arise there, because I don't think it's Figgy or Vernon. I think that it's Filch, and he'll end up doing it when Hogwarts is inevibably attacked to save his precious castle.


__________________


Harry loses it again.
  #35  
Old July 14th, 2006, 8:21 pm
ARodHPfan0013  Male.gif ARodHPfan0013 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4547 days
Location: Somewhere around here
Age: 25
Posts: 118
Re: WHEN will book 7 start?

I think we'll actually see for the first time Harry enter 4 Privet Drive. Since the stay is so short there, she'll probably include that to show exactly how short it will be, because I guess he only has to stay there until his birthday at the end of July.


__________________

"Gary Sheffield is on deck as the count moves to 3 and 1...THAT ONE'S DRILLED DEEP TO LEFT FIELD...The Yankees will win the game! The yankees win the game! The yankees win the game!! Miguel Cairo scores! A pinch hit single for Flaherty...That's one of the greatest games you will ever see! The Yankees win 5 to 4, in thirteen innings, and they sweep the Boston Red Sox! Oh, what a game!!!!!"

Last edited by ARodHPfan0013; July 14th, 2006 at 8:25 pm.
  #36  
Old July 14th, 2006, 8:32 pm
Gandalf_Shaw's Avatar
Gandalf_Shaw  Male.gif Gandalf_Shaw is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4270 days
Location: North Yorkshire, U.K
Age: 31
Posts: 588
Re: WHEN will book 7 start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971
Jo's mentioned this in the interview with Time -

"J.K. Rowling Hogwarts And All," Time Magazine, July 17, 2005But future insecurities can wait. Rowling still has book seven to worry about. She has already started writing. "It will be a very different kind of book," she says, "because I kind of cue up the shot at the end of six, and you're left with a very clear idea of what Harry's going to do next."


Based on that, I think book 7 will pick up right where HBP left off - just after Dumbledore's funeral.
Yah I agree. I think they will still be leaving Hogwarts and everyone will be like "Well Harry Dumbledore is still dead. What are we going to do?"

That will be weird though, won't it? Starting the book with him still going back to the Dursleys...I think they should start it when he is already back at the Dursleys just for continuity.


__________________
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Emma Watson

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
  #37  
Old July 14th, 2006, 8:33 pm
mysterious's Avatar
mysterious  Male.gif mysterious is offline
Oracle Octopus
 
Joined: 4589 days
Location: Was right here...
Age: 28
Posts: 4,004
Re: How much time will be unrecorded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Godric
Did not find anything on or related to this subject so i decided to write this.

Between each book is a time of unrecorded information...in between OOTP and HBP this time seemed to be very short, did anyone else get the feeling that the time between HBP and Book 7 will be slim to none. Would JKR start the 7th Book where HBP left off? Harry says he will visit the Dursleys until July 31st, then it seems the summer will be an important part...Will Harry be tempted to leave the Dursley's before his Birthday and go exploring? or will we wait until July 31st 1997 to start Book 7? just curious....
It dosen't matter how much time but how it would start. What I mean is will it start where it ended or right at Privet Drive. Usually JKR used to end the book when Harry used to reach King Cross but now she has ended when he was having a chat with Ron and Hermione beside the Great Lake.

Do you think that the end has some significance or did JKR find it to trivial (to carry on the Legacy) when compared to DD's Death?


  #38  
Old July 14th, 2006, 8:34 pm
Gwynevere  Female.gif Gwynevere is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4237 days
Location: Chicago, baby!
Posts: 25
Re: WHEN will book 7 start?

I wouldn't give the time lapse more than a week. I suppose it could be a direct continuation of the HBP timeline, but her comments in the Time interview could also refer to a flashback of sorts. Plus, I believe he needn't stay long. As long as he can CALL it home, he doesn't have to be there for the protection to be in place. I can't wait for the scene with the Dursleys, whatever it involves. Whatever Petunia might have to offer Harry I think will be revealed then.

The more interesting question I think is at what point in time will the book END. But that's another thread. ^_^



Last edited by Gwynevere; July 14th, 2006 at 8:36 pm.
  #39  
Old July 14th, 2006, 8:39 pm
I <3 Ron  Female.gif I <3 Ron is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5344 days
Location: Across the Universe
Posts: 467
Re: WHEN will book 7 start?

I can't really see the 7th book starting while they're still at Hogwarts, that would be too weird since each book has coincided with what year Harry is (or is going into). I think at most it will start with the Dursley's picking him up in London. The first two months of summer will probably be very important too because we'll probably find out Dudley's worst fear, what Dumbledore wrote in the letter to Petunia, and perhaps a little more about Lily from Petunia, because who would know her better than her sister?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwynevere
The more interesting question I think is at what point in time will the book END. But that's another thread. ^_^
It won't ever end, Harry and everyone else will live forever and ever.


__________________
Blame it on a simple twist of fate.
  #40  
Old July 14th, 2006, 9:15 pm
bookwrm988  Female.gif bookwrm988 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4597 days
Location: Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 163
Re: WHEN will book 7 start?

Thanks Meesha 1971! I guess I missed that article.
It would be kind of cool though if book 7 picked up right where book 6 left off. Yeah, it would be totally different than the first six, but this book is likely going to be utterly different than all the others anyway-especially considering it's going to involve the deaths of at least either voldemort or harry, if not both.


__________________
Flowers make me smile
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 2:12 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.