Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies > The Casting Couch

Richard Harris as Albus Dumbledore

Old August 9th, 2006, 6:55 pm
Snidget of Champions

Richard Harris as Albus Dumbledore

I have created this thread so that all those who wish to discuss Richard Harris's Dumbledore can have a place to post those feelings. I loved his performance in the first two - he looked the part and acted the part. He wasn't as energetic as described in the book, but Harris pulled off a good Dumbledore all in all - atleast, he made the character his own. I always imagined Dumbledore very similar to Richard Harris - long white hair, long beard, and very ornate robes. One problem I have, though, is that his robes were not shockingly purple (but that's not his fault).

Now, I have received permission to open this thread, but it is certainly able to be closed. Therefore, there shall be no bashing of Gambon as Dumbledore. In fact, there shall be no mention of Gambon or I shall ask an administrator to close this thread. Therefore be kind to those who wish to talk about Richard Harris as Dumbledore and don't mention Gambon.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138

Last edited by MrSleepyHead; August 9th, 2006 at 8:42 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2006, 7:22 pm
Second Year

Re: Richard Harris as Dumbledore

Hey, you just mentioned Gambon! Quick, someone tell an admin!

Old August 9th, 2006, 7:27 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub
Hey, you just mentioned Gambon! Quick, someone tell an admin!
haha....thats so true...
ugh ya i did like him as dumbledore too bad that he died so he couldnt finish (is that considered bashing...) anyways...i totally imagined dumbledore like that ....

Old August 9th, 2006, 7:27 pm
Zonko's Employee

Richard is my favorite Dumbledore. He was kind, warm, looked and talked just like the Dumbledore I saw when I read the books. The second Dumbledore brought more excitement than Harris did, I admit, but lost other traits. *is hoping to keep everything cool and clean*

I was very sad when I heard that Harris passed. In fact, I thought it was going to be the end of the movies.

Old August 11th, 2006, 7:30 pm
Fifth Year

I think he was perfect as Dumbledore, he played the part calmly and he had the right authority when he was on screen. It was very sad that he died .

Old August 12th, 2006, 12:26 am
First Year

I loved Richard Harris as Dumbledore! He had a quality to his voice that was so, well Dumbledore, comforting and clever,while at the same time jovial . Whenever I read the books I always hear his voice. It's a shame he passed away, but his performance will always remain with me. New Dumbledore (who's name we are forbiden to metion)
has done well to make the role his own. As the character of Dumbledore is multi-faceted, the role can be taken on in many different ways.

Old August 16th, 2006, 3:12 am
Fourth Year

I like him he makes a great Dumbledore i like him in GOF.

Old August 16th, 2006, 3:15 am
Second Year

Richard Harris was Dumbledore. He was exactly the kind of person I created in my head while reading the books. I felt so bad watching CoS because it was obvious (in my opinion) that he was in bad health...

Old August 24th, 2006, 5:50 pm
First Year

Richard Harris is/was Dumbledore. M.G. is just portraying Dumbledore.

Old August 25th, 2006, 11:19 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard_1
I like him he makes a great Dumbledore i like him in GOF.
Unfortunately Richard Harris wasn't in GoF. Dumbledore was played by "he who must not be named".
Oops sorry that's Voldemort, ok by ... *whispers* MG.

However much I enjoyed Richard Harris in the first two films, there were elements of the character that didn't gel, for me, from the books.
I also think that if he had remained acting the part he would have had to tackle the role in a similar way to how it was portrayed in the last two films.

Everyone has a photographic memory ... some, like me, just don't have any film
Old August 25th, 2006, 11:25 am
Sixth Year

For me, Richard Harris was the absolute perfect person for the role of Dumbledore. He played the character in the way that I hoped Dumbledore would be portrayed. With the right balance of kindness, and authority. I thought he was brilliant, and was very sad when he died.

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Old August 25th, 2006, 9:15 pm
First Year

HE was the perfect Dumbledore , he was exactly like i imagined him, i mean he is the best, when he dies, i was like the movie r going to be ruined, he made the movies excellent, cuz Dumbledore important charachter.

Last edited by leenielou; August 26th, 2006 at 12:17 pm.
Old August 26th, 2006, 12:07 pm
Second Year

Richard Harris had the atmosphere of authority, wisdom and kindness that I saw in Dumbledore. I don't think he was too old or too slow to play the part, Dumbledore was old, and he was almost always calm and composed. To be honest, when I read the scene between Dumbledore and Voldemort in OotP, I could still imagine him strolling carelessly towards Voldemort, still calm. Just alert. (If I remember correctly, he was described as such in the book as well).

And in PS, when Harris raises his cup to Harry with that twinkle in his eye... and in CoS, when he comments calmly to Snape about writing a quite few of the wizard laws himself, and gives him a mild, yet telling look... that's Dumbledore, in every way.

Last edited by Tabris93; August 26th, 2006 at 12:50 pm.
Old August 29th, 2006, 6:33 pm
Third Year

Richard Harris was the best for Dumbledore, at least for the first 4 movies, and possibly the 6th. The question I have is would he, as the 5th is my favorite book, be able to portray the energetic Dumbeldore we see in The Centaur and the Sneak? Or at the end, in Beyond the Viel and The Only One He Ever Feared?

That question shall remain unanswered, but I salute Richard Harris!

It would be really great if I met a Fundamentalist Christian, to say, would you like to discuss the matter with Hagrid? - JKR
Old August 29th, 2006, 10:57 pm
First Year

I too loved Richard Harris as Dumbledore. To me he had all the traits of the Dumbledore of the books.

He was a quiet talker. To me Dumbledore never spoke loudly unless he truly felt he needed to, just like Harris. It was as if, when Harris spoke the whole room would become soundless just to hear the man speak.

He also seemed to have the confidence and comfort of Dumbledore.

I feel MG is too uneasy and seems lost in his parts as Dumbledore.

RIP Harris.

Clipside of the pinkeye flight, I'm not the percent you think survives. I need sanctuary in the pages of this book... Gestating with all the other rats, Nurse said that my skin will need a graft. I am of pockmarked shapes, the vermin you need to loathe...
Old October 13th, 2006, 3:01 am
First Year

I think that he was everything I imagined Dumbeldor being when I read the books, but after he passed I thought that I would never be able to see another Dumbeldor. He was a sweet man and he was perfect for the role. THe new actor they got just isnt as sweet and wise. It kinda smashed my overall look at Dumbeldor and left me disapointed.

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."

Perfect couple i say!
Old October 13th, 2006, 3:05 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62442al_Man View Post
Richard is my favorite Dumbledore. He was kind, warm, looked and talked just like the Dumbledore I saw when I read the books. The second Dumbledore brought more excitement than Harris did, I admit, but lost other traits. *is hoping to keep everything cool and clean*

I was very sad when I heard that Harris passed. In fact, I thought it was going to be the end of the movies.
I totally agree I though that it would be the end. But I sort of knew in my head that they would keep it going. I agree I thought that he was awesome at playing DD. I mean he was very calm and collected and he was just as I imagined in the books. Even though the one in the books has a lot more energy, he totally pulled it off. And I think that everybody here agrees with me when I say that he was a great Actor and he was perfectly fit to play DD.

Old October 19th, 2006, 6:21 pm
Second Year

Richard Harris was the closest thing to Dumbledore I have ever seen. When I saw the movies I was in awe they found someone who could play the part so well. It's just sad he died, and I wish he could have finished the movies... I would have loved to see him in OoTP and HBP, where Dumbledore really gets into it. The... er... "new Dumbledore" bring more energy, but Harris had that mysterious, powerful, extraordinary presence that I thought Dumbledore should have, and I think that that was more important than the energy. He would have been fine in HBP when Dumbledore starts going weak...

No one could ever play Dumbledore perfectly (that goes for all of the characters, obviously), but Harris did an amazing job. Rest in peace, Richard Harris.

Last edited by SiriusAddiction; October 19th, 2006 at 6:24 pm. Reason: Typo
Old October 19th, 2006, 6:22 pm
Second Year

Richard Harris was (and still is) brilliant. He was the perfect Dumbledore. I dont know that I care for Michael Gambon's portrayal.
Richard Harris is Dumbledore....that's all there is to it.

Old October 20th, 2006, 5:21 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I adore Harris as Dumbledore . He was about 90% correct. I even imagined his voice and face while reading Dumbledore telling Harry about the Prophecy at the end of OOTP and the speech at the end of GoF about Cedric. I'm so sad that he died because it's really taken away from the movies a little for me since I do not like Gambon's portrayal of Dumbledore thus far. I actually think that Gandalf from the LOTR movies is almost 95% how I imagined Dumbledore since he also displayed more silliness and quirkiness than Harris did. It's a pity McKellen won't play Dumbledore in the movies.

Cheers

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies > The Casting Couch