Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

Ruminations on Filch, Charles Dickens and Book 7

Old August 19th, 2006, 3:37 am
MuggleNet Editorial

Ruminations on Filch, Charles Dickens and Book 7

Discussion of the editorial Ruminations on Filch, Charles Dickens and Book 7 by AlanM.

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2006, 4:40 am
First Year

Re: Ruminations on Filch, Charles Dickens and Book 7

hmmm... interesting. although this may not actually be forshadowing anything in book 7.

its possible that the "crucial information" that filch would be unwittingly keeping could simply be the Marauders Map. as we know the map has indeed provided information pivotal to the ending of the books, such as the detection of pettigrew and barty crouch, as well as Malfoy's use of the room of requirement.

yea i think this is what JKR used the allusion to Dickens for. Remember Fred and George stole the map from filch in their first year.

Old August 19th, 2006, 5:39 am
Student

hmm very interesting..... I like it.

Old August 19th, 2006, 5:42 am
First Year

Very cool theory. I hold a hope that Hufflepuff's cup is in Hogwarts' trophy room... I would be thrilled if this theory panned out. =)

Old August 19th, 2006, 5:58 am
First Year

This theory is very possible. But Are you sure Filch was the care taker when Tom Riddle was at school?

But i'm sure there is nothing dangerous in Hogwarts Trophy Room- Just imagine Voldemort leaving his own preceious soul Unguarded... nope

Filch is not having anthing that leads to a horcrux. However filch might be having something that will help in DE-JINXING Defence Against the Dark Arts Position.

Good Theory!

Old August 19th, 2006, 6:14 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziprose
Very cool theory. I hold a hope that Hufflepuff's cup is in Hogwarts' trophy room... I would be thrilled if this theory panned out. =)
I doubt it. If Dumbledore could tell Tom's "signature" when he was in the cave, I'm sure he would have been able to sense anything of his that was left over at Hogwarts. Who knows, though.

I loved the article. These are the types of editorials I enjoy reading the most. Like the one about Machiavelli's Prince. Great work.

Old August 19th, 2006, 6:35 am
Second Year

I think this definitely works with what JKR has already given us in the plot. Tom Riddle must've done his share of exploring Hogwarts when students were supposed to be in bed, attracting the unwanted attentions of Mrs. Norris and Filch, if indeed they were both around when Tom was there. So Filch could have something of Tom's. The Marauder's Map came to Harry thanks to Filch's original confiscation of it (and then Fred and George nabbed it, of course), so JKR would reasonably fit that he holds something of importance to Harry in the plot without it coming out of left field.

The question is...would Filch have been able to take anything from Tom and then keep it from him? I don't know...

I love Harry Potter...
Old August 19th, 2006, 9:10 am
First Year

Good thinking 99! I liked your theory. Filch is certainly an interesting character and must have a little more backstory in him yet.

Old August 19th, 2006, 9:17 am
Second Year

I love this theory and had been thinking for some time that Filch would be ther person to do magic in desparate times (though only cos JK shot down the petunia theory). So this might fit as a reason for why he ends up being desparate :-)

I just wish we had the book to find out, only 11 months left (i'm not of the group who think book 7 is coming out in 2008)

Old August 19th, 2006, 9:34 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionHart
The question is...would Filch have been able to take anything from Tom and then keep it from him? I don't know...
No way. But he could have something important that Voldemort doesn't realize he got.

When Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were at Hogwarts, a man called Apollyon Pringle was the caretaker (GoF, The Third Task, p. 535 BE). I assume that they were younger than Voldemort, so Filch wasn't at Hogwarts when Tom Riddle attended. But the contents of his office aren't necessarily his own collections. There might be stuff which his predecessors confiscated. Which would make it even more plausible that Filch doesn't know about it.

Old August 19th, 2006, 10:27 am
First Year

I thought this was very well thought out and you certainlly did your homework. I usually dont find parallels people make between harry potter and other works as that interesting, and usually just plain ridiculous. But this seems very plausible and i would look forward to something like this happening in book 7. I too liked how this theory works perfectly with the "desperate circumstances" comment Jo made.

Old August 19th, 2006, 10:39 am
First Year

Oh! I found this theory very plausible. It is likely that Jo has read Dickens, so she Filch is probably alike this Krook for a reason.
As DrFlamelPhD said, though, the thing in Filch's office might have been the Marauders Map, but we don't know that. Perhaps there is more in that office.
But then; what about the "magic in desperate circumstances" comment? Could it still mean Filch?

Old August 19th, 2006, 11:09 am
First Year

Wow. What an interesting and intriguing parallel!

I first, when reading your editorial, I have thought the hidden important document in Filch’s files could be the Marauder’s Map : it’s explain as soon as PoA that the Weasley twins has stolen it in Filch’s office. But after reading what you wrote about Krook dying before his document were found and about the possibility of Filch doing magic under desperate circumstances, I really wonder if there’s not something more.

After all we have heard far too often about Filch’s files over the books, the last (and not the least) time being at the end of HBP. We also have a hint that important things could be hidden in it with the twins finding the Marauder’s Map.

We also know that Voldemort recruit his Death Eaters very young, and that he was most probably willing to hide at least one of his horcruxes in Hogwarts. Would it be possible that he would have given one to one of its young DE (without telling what it really was, of course) in order that he got it confiscated ? Nobody would have thought to search a horcrux or Voldemort’s in Filch’s office. The story of the fake locket in HBP recalls a bit the story of the several versions of the will in Dickens story.
But it would be more believable if the thing to be found was a mere paper among the other files. Maybe a form signed by a certain R.A.B. ?

Good work, anyway!

Old August 19th, 2006, 1:13 pm
First Year

I love it! Particularly interesting because Filch's cat is named after another literary character. These parallels you have drawn don't feel awkward like so many in the past have been.

Old August 19th, 2006, 5:05 pm
Second Year

I never noticed that! I've never read a Charles Dickens though. It sounds like I need to though. LOL. Anyway, that's worth noting. I'll put it in my files.

Old August 19th, 2006, 5:54 pm
First Year

I think the thing you were talking about, was the Maurders map.

Quote:
Tom Riddle must've done his share of exploring Hogwarts when students were supposed to be in bed, attracting the unwanted attentions of Mrs. Norris and Filch, if indeed they were both around when Tom was there
Dang that cat is OLD!

May house my be but I will always be a marauder at heart

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

Quoted by the one the only Sirius Black who: Was The first Person EVER To Escape From Azkaban, Evaded Dementors, Became An Animagi At 15, Outwitted The Ministry For Years And, Was Finally Killed By A Curtain...

Who wants to live in a sane world anyway?

ACCIO HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Seeringrose; August 19th, 2006 at 5:56 pm.
Old August 19th, 2006, 6:21 pm
First Year

This theory! I'd always wondered what other goodies Filtch had in his filing cabinet of confiscated items - maybe there's even a Horcrux in there! Another though I had was perhaps the paper in question has already been unearthed - the Maurader's Map!

Old August 19th, 2006, 6:48 pm
First Year

Brilliant, Alan M, bloody brilliant! Thank you.

Others have echoed your insights, like a squib who does magic late in life under desperate circumstances. There could be no more anvil-sized hint pointing to Filch.

Even though Filch may or may not have been around during Riddle's student days, his files may go back a long time. (He doesn't strike me as the type to throw anything away.) There's one horcrux yet to be identified, and perhaps Filch's files may have some evidence of what it might be.

Wouldn't that be a great title for some follow-up pieces, whether by JKR or simply fan fiction-- "The Filch Files"!

W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 1: Exceeds Expectations
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 2: Exceeds Expectations
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 3: Exceeds Expectations
Old August 19th, 2006, 8:03 pm
First Year

Definitely something in the Filch Files yet to be seen. Harry may remember something from one of the files he read, sorted, or copied during his HBP detention that is relevant. Or he may find it later.
BTW: From whom was the Marauders' Map [Written by and for at least 4 marauders, it should be a plural possessive] seized? When? Why?

Old August 19th, 2006, 8:31 pm
First Year

[quote=Robb]I doubt it. If Dumbledore could tell Tom's "signature" when he was in the cave, I'm sure he would have been able to sense anything of his that was left over at Hogwarts. [quote=Robb]

This isn't true. DD didn't sense the Diary at Hogwarts at all. This is witnessed by Harry in his cluelessness in confessing to McGonagall, "The question is not who, but how." In fact, I think the only way DD "senses" Vmt is in direct contact with magic.

In the cave in HBP, DD did just that--he was looking for what Vmt hid. He was sensing presence. A cup placed somewhere by an unknowing, obedient, or disobedient servant of Vmt would not have the trace of presence and knowledge that Vmt would undoubtably leave behind--in his arrogance and pride. Perhaps pride is what Dumbledore truly senses--unfounded, foolish pride in self, and in the selfish acts which Vmt commits.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial