Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial > The Magic Quill

TMQ100 - What's What (And A New Double Challenge!)

Old August 27th, 2006, 8:40 pm
MuggleNet Editorial

TMQ100 - What's What (And A New Double Challenge!)

Discussion of The Magic Quill #100 -- What's What by Robbie Fischer.

+++ DOUBLE CHALLENGE +++

And now, the first DOUBLE CHALLENGE of season three!

SURVEY: Whoever drinks the Essence of Merlin potion will end up living backwards in time. Which character will it be? (A) Harvey. (B) our Merlin. (C) Tip. (D) Other: ____.

CONTEST: You’re at a Hogwarts Alumni Reunion and you run into your year’s Yule Ball king or queen. You’re surprised to find out that he or she has an unglamorous, rather sad, magic-related job. What is it?

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2006, 10:14 pm
First Year

Re: TMQ100 - What's What (And A New Double Challenge!)

To the first question I'd like it to be two if possible but if I have to pick one Merlin, but if two's allowed then Merlin and Harvey

The second question is a dragon dung fertilizer dealer

Old August 28th, 2006, 7:23 am
First Year

Porta-Puffy Service Magician

What's a Porta-Puffy??
Why, that's the little magical device that you set under couches, beds, dressers -- wherever Puffskeins breed -- to port them safely away, ensuring that you never again find yourself up to your armpits in the fuzzy little darlin's.

Or, possibly, House-elf Taxidermist.

'Nuff said.

Last edited by floribunda; August 28th, 2006 at 7:26 am.
Old August 28th, 2006, 7:43 am
First Year

Porta-Puffy! I love it!
I think a real come-down for the glamour girl or boy would be floo operator - of course, that's the person who connects the "entrance" floo with the "exit" floo. The worst of it for any beautiful person would be that you sit at a switch board (or with chimneys involved, maybe it's a "draft board" ; -) and never are seen or heard by your clients, or much of anyone for that matter. Probably rotten shift work hours and not enough breaks either, with overuse injuries rife from reaching around to make the connections.

Backward in time? Maybe Rigel's dad should take that trip. I suppose he'd catch up with Jr at some point.

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out." Ray Bradbury
Old August 28th, 2006, 11:36 am
First Year

Welcome back TWZRD! Hope you had a good time on your holiday!

I think Harvey should go back in time. It's about time we heard from him.

Doxy exterminator. The person would have to dress in protective clothing with a bubble-head charm and squirt toxic doxycide all over the place. Not a glamorous job by any means.

Old August 28th, 2006, 3:45 pm
Third Year

Harvey should drink the essence of Merlin. I would say Merlin, but I think he has already been through quite a bit.
The unglamorous job - Argus Filch's new apprentice.

Old August 28th, 2006, 6:14 pm
First Year

Challenge 1= B. our Merlin
Challenge 2= Sample Processor for Magical Manure Co. they have to take samples of magical manure (from dragons, thestrals, mooncalves, etc.) and determines that the sample is what the sender says it is (i.e.- from a mooncalf and not a muggle cow) and delivers it to the relevant sector of the processing/packaging plant.

Old August 28th, 2006, 6:26 pm
Second Year

Pyromarketer - travels by Floo powder to unsuspecting wizards' homes and bothers them during dinnertime. Attempts to sell poorly designed, often cursed items for mass market. Often the victim of Anti-intruder jinxes, and hexes from disgruntled Ministry workers.

While current Wizarding laws and a natural fear of personal safety forbid a Pyromarketer from ACTUALLY entering the wizarding home, injury still can still occur while talking with one's head in the fire -- annual reports dictate that the number of Pyromarketers complaining of "being severely poked in the eye" has skyrocketed in these troubled times.

Also, I vote for Harvey.

Yvaine: "What do stars do?"

Last edited by myndon; August 28th, 2006 at 6:55 pm.
Old August 29th, 2006, 2:07 am
Second Year

Challenge 1: B.
Challenge 2: (The Yule ball queen is) secretary in the Magical Household Plumbing and Utilities Dept. in the minestry of magic. sad.

Vote for ELLIED551 @ The HarryPotter.com OoTP Set Visit Contest!
Old August 30th, 2006, 8:45 am
First Year

Okay, for the essence of merlin, I think it should be miss Sadie who gets to drink that. I picture Sadie as an ascerbic character- lots of hard-nosed spit and sarcasm spewing out of her mouth at the drop of a hat. The idea that it would one day spew out of the mouth of a little six-year-old pig-tailed rosy cheeked girl ( which is how I believe she once looked, if only breifly) is too funny to me.

And, for the post of the former Hogwarts Alumni. I am going to have to say lowly Regulatory Clerk for the Magical Creatures Protection Ministry. This is not a department that normally deals with Wizards- rather it deals with "magical creatures of near human intelligence." They are suppose to over see the House Elf Availabilty Auctions (sactioned slave trade), Goblin Coin and Crafting Registry (Goblins have to pay before they can earn any kind of living dealing with money, particularly the minting of money. This is where they get their id numbers which are stamped into all the coins) Enforcement of the Centaur Forest Land Conservation Act (Where any witch or wizard who wants to encroach on land specifically set aside for Centaurs goes for permission to do so. A shame really that the Centaur's lands just seem to be dwindling by the year...), Offices of Wand Ban Enforcement (individuals who offer specialized knowledge to the Magical Law Enforcement squad when dealing with the particulars of a Wan Ban violation, and the Auror squad when the Magical Creature in question proves to be of a dark arts persuasion. (note: most individuals in this department are not above planting evidence). Why would this be a shocking job? Because it is well known on the street this is the most corrupt and bribable department in the whole of the Ministry of Magic. Who works here? Mostly lazy, contemtible wizards convinced of their superiority because they are "pure blood" wizards. Did I mention, most of the individuals in this department are fanatically loyal Slytherins? (Think Neo-Nazis on speed) The shock is that someone who showed so much brightness and potential has stooped (or been bent) to employment in such a department.

Well, that's my suggestion
Glad I didn't spend too long thinking about it.
Cady

Old August 30th, 2006, 10:02 am
First Year

It will be a nice coincidence that Merlin would live backwards in time, but i think he already went through quite enough of adventure. Harvey should do it besides it was he who put everything together in the first place.

The HateMailMan

Oh dear... not a pretty job at all, though the pay is good you would probably spend them all on medicinal bills anyway. The job is to check all the general mails of famous people like the Minister of Magic, before it is passed on to him. Why? in case of cursed mail, Howlers, Bubotuber pus and the likes. So why not chuck them all in to the fire? cause what if an all-too-important document is in there? The minister won't be too happy. So there is only the old fashioned way of checking the mail, opening them one by one and reading them through one, all for the sake of that wealthy person...

Old August 31st, 2006, 4:43 pm
Second Year

I think that Harvey should go back in time, as he hasn't really done anything dangerous that we've heard about

A really unglamorous job could be being the WelcomeWitch in St Mungo's

Old September 1st, 2006, 2:04 pm
Fourth Year

Survey: It probably should be Harvey, but I have this uncontrollable urge to yell MERLIN!

Old September 4th, 2006, 8:16 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyWerewolf
Survey: It probably should be Harvey, but I have this uncontrollable urge to yell MERLIN!
Ditto.

Old September 5th, 2006, 4:40 pm
First Year

Should I count BabyWerewolf's and beckyway's votes as votes for Merlin?

"Er - I don' want ter be rude, but who the ruddy hell are you?" - Hagrid
Old September 22nd, 2006, 3:52 am
First Year

No, I think you should count them as votes for Harvey. I vote for Harvey.

An unglamorous job... how about sweeping the chimneys of all the fireplaces on the Floo Network?

"Voldemort put a bit of himself in me?" Harry said, thunderstruck.
"It certainly seems so." said Dumbledore calmly, "Not something he intended to do, I'm sure..." (CoS, in McGonagall's office in the last chapter) hmmmm...
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial > The Magic Quill