Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Dresden Files - The Adult Wizard Harry

View Poll Results: Spoiler tags?
I have finished Turn Coat, no spoiler tags needed. 21 84.00%
I have not yet finished Turn Coat, please use spoiler tags. 2 8.00%
I have read all of the short stories, no spoiler tags needed. 3 12.00%
I have not read all of the short stories, please use spoiler tags. 1 4.00%
I have not read all of the short stories, but I don't care about spoilers for those. 8 32.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 29th, 2006, 6:53 pm
First Year

Dresden Files - The Adult Wizard Harry

Anybody else excited they are making Jim Butcher's series, The Dresden Files, into a tv show? Finally a REAL Wizard on tv!

I adore Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden! He seems like a grown-up combo of Harry + Ron, with a dash a Neville. (How many times can one wizard get knocked down?!)

I enjoy the American/Wiccan slant to the magic. The pilot was completed this spring, but they are only just starting to write/produce the show. Should be out in January '07 (Sci-Fi). Been following the updates on Ex-Isle (the industry Insiders message board). The producers and the author, Jim Butcher, post there.

Not too happy about Harry's staff being a hockey stick, but I can live with the rest (Jeep vs. VW). At least they got a tall (6'3") actor, Paul Blackstone, for the part. Can't wait to see him ducking the ceiling fans in McNally's!

Old August 29th, 2006, 8:12 pm
First Year

Re: Dresden Files - The Adult Wizard Harry

What? No "blue beetle"? Just... don't get rid of the duster.

This is the first I've heard of it, but I'm excited as well

Old September 5th, 2006, 1:53 pm
First Year

Wow, only ONE Dresden Files reader on here! LOL!

Figured there be more people interested in another Wizarding series on here.

Maybe the demographic is too young? Or possibly the Dresden Files aren't available in other countries?

Oh well, there's two of us!

He isn't wearing the duster in the trailer, so we don't know yet. I'm thinking maybe they are waiting for Book Two, where Susan gives him the NEW leather duster. Just MHO.

His wizarding staff is a hockey stick, which sounded wierd at first to me. But the producer thought it would be more "inconspicuous" to have him walk around the city with! At least they are trying to make it work so when he uses it the magic runes carved into it light up (glow?) properly. Or so they claim.

Should be good. Can't wait until January!

Old September 5th, 2006, 6:52 pm
First Year

Hmm... it's all about the duster, so as long as it makes an appearance in the series I'm happy.

I like the girl playing Bianca, but not sure about the rest of the casting. They changed Karrin's name to Connie on the TV show, pft, but I can understand the reasons. (Although she is a blonde, will TV Connie be blonde?)

So... an Irish-American playing "Rodriguez" and a Cuban-American playing "Murphy"? How can that be? Those actresses better kick *** in their roles!

Old September 5th, 2006, 8:38 pm
Fourth Year

Wow never heard of it is it new?

Old September 6th, 2006, 2:03 pm
First Year

Jim Butcher published Book 1 of the Dresden Files in 2000.

Book 8 just came out in May (2006).

The first one is a little corny, but ask anyone, they keep getting better!

They are a rare mix of fantasy, mystery, horror and COMEDY!

The TV show based on the series is supposed to air on Sci Fi channel January 2007.

Old September 6th, 2006, 2:47 pm
Genius Loci

I love the Dresden Files. Absolutely great series of books. Jim Butcher's done 8 so far with book 9 out next April and over 20 planned!

Harry Dresden

His father was a stage magician, eg pulling rabbits out of a hat magician. Harry's full name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden, named by his father after Harry Houdini, Harry Blackstone, Sr., and David Copperfield. Harry's mother was a Wizardess, a powerful wizardess at that. She unfortunately kept company with some very bad people but Harry's largely ignorant of his mother's background until later books, which I won't go into, but it's pretty revealing and harrowing. At the age of five his father died and he was raised by a dark wizard called Justin DuMorne who tried to turn Harry into a dark magic user at 16. Having turned Harry's then girlfriend, Elaine against him, Harry went on the run but eventually got found by Justin via a summoned demon, which Harry killed. He & Justin dueled (not Harry Potter duel, but serious dirty magic duel) and Harry killed Justin by burning down the building he was in, killing Elaine at the same time.

At this point The White Council summons Harry for a trial. The White Council of Wizards is the governing body of all wizards the world over. It has magical laws, with the central law being "Thou Shalt Not Kill". Harry's judged by this council who commute the death sentence in favour of a probation of sorts. Harry is assigned a Warden of the Council who will watch Harry for the rest of his life to make sure he doesn't break any of the laws again. In the meantime he is awarded to a guy called Ebeneezer McCoy, another wizard who raises Harry for the remainder of his childhood. McCoy teaches Harry the "why" of magic as opposed to the "how", which is what Justin DuMorne had taught him. With that, Harry reaches a balance in understanding and eventually he grows up, moves out and ends up in Chicago working as a Private Investigator. He's a publically listed wizard. Unlike most wizards, he doesn't hide what he is. Most of his work is in association with the Chicago Police Department's Special Investigations Unit, headed by Lt. Karrin Murphy. He and Murphy have an on/off friendship, mainly because Harry shields Murphy from a lot of the work she brings him in on, because he thinks she can't handle the supernatural forces like he can.

Harry has a gift of the gab and often his smart comments get him into as much trouble as the magic he associates with. It can be quite funny, as well as utterly annoying. Harry has few friends, but one of them is a spirit known as Bob, who is bound to Harry and lives inside a human skull in Harry's lab. Bob is about six hundred years old and is the horniest spirit ever. Seriously, Bob is obsessed with sex and everytime Harry grants him leave out of the skull to run errands, Bob will try and get involved in some orgy... Some of the Harry/Bob moments are the funniest in the books.

Anyway, that's the abridged version. It's much more in depth than that and a lot of the information I posted is contradicted in later books or simply completey false, but I'm giving what I knew from book 1...

So I've done a couple of extracts for yall from book 3.

Dresden Files Extract from the book - Grave Peril - Harry meets the dragon...sort of

Spoiler: show
I looked around and orientated on the man dressed as a Roman centurion, then headed toward him. A man of indefinite years, he stood alone and slightly detached from the rest of the crowd. His eyes were an odd colour of green, deep and intense. He held a cigarette between his lips. His gear, right down to the Roman short sword and sandals, looked awfully authentic. I slowed a little as I approached, staring.
"Michael" I murmured, over my shoulder. "Look at his costume. It looks like the real thing."
"It is the real thing," said the man in a bored tone of voice, not looking at me. He exhaled a plume of smoke, then put the cigarette between his lips. Michael would have barely been able to hear my question. This guy had picked it right out. Gulp.
"Interesting," I said. "Must have cost you a fortune to put together."
He glanced at me. Smoke curled form the corners of his mouth as he gave me a very slight, very smug smirk. And said nothing.
"So," I said, and cleared my throat. "I'm Harry Dresden."
The man pursed his lips and said, thoughtfully and precisely, "Harry. Dresden."
When someone, anyone, says your name, it touches you. You almost feel it, that sound that stands out from a crowd of others and demands your attention. When a wizard says your Name, when he says it and means it, it has the same effect, amplified a thousandfold. The man in the centurian gear said my part of my Name and said it exactly right. It felt like someone had just rung a tuning fork and pressed it against my teeth.
I staggered, and Michael caught my shoulder, keeping me upright. Dear God. He just used one part of my full name, my true Name, to reach out to me and casually backhand me off my feet.
"Hells bells," I whispered. Michael propped me back up. I planted my cane, so that I would an extra support, and just stared at the man. "How the hell did you do that?"
He rolled his eyes, took the cigarette in his fingers and blew more smoke. "You wouldn't understand."
"You're not White Council," I said.
He looked at me as though I had just stated that objects fall toward the ground; a whithering, scathing glance. "How very fortunate for me."
"Harry," Michael said, his voice tense
"Just a minute."
"Harry. Look at his cigarette."
I blinked at Michael. "What?"
"Look at his cigarette," Michael repeated. He was staring at the man with wide intent eyes, and one hand fallen on the hilt of a knife.
I looked. It took me a minute to realize what Michael was talking about.
The man blew more smoke out of the corner of his mouth, and smirked at me.
The cigarette wasn't lit.
"He's," I said. "He's, uh."
"He's a dragon," Michael said
"A what?"
The man's eyes flickered with interest for the first time, and he narrowed his focus - not upon me, but upon Michael. "Just so," he said. "You may call me Mister Ferro."
"Why don't I just call you Ferrovax," Michael said.
Mister Ferro narrowed his eyes, and regarded Michael with a dispassionate gaze. "You know something of the lore, at least, mortal."
"Wait a minute," I said. "Dragons . . . dragons are supposed to be big. Scales, claws, wings. This guy isn't big."
Ferro rolled his eyes and said, impatient, "We are what we wish to be be, Master Drafton."
"Dresden," I snapped
He waved a hand. "Don't temp me to show you what I can do by speaking your name and making an effort, mortal. Suffice to say that you could not comprehend the kind of power I have at my command. That my true form here would shatter this pathetic gathering of monkey houses and crack the earth upon which I stand. If you gazed upon me with your wizard's sight, you would see something that would awe you, humble you, and quite probably destroy your reason. I am the eldest of my kind, and the strongest. Your life is flickering candle to me, and your civilisations rise and fall like grass in the summer."
"Well," I said. "I don't know about your true form, but the weight of your ego sure is pushing the crust of the earth toward breaking point."
His green eyes blazed. "What did you say?"
"I don't like bullies," I said. "You think I'm going to stand here and offer you my firstborn and sacrifice virgins to you or something? I'm not that impressed."
"Well," Ferro said. "Let's see if we can't make an impression."
I clutched my cane and gathered up my will, but I was way, way too slow. Ferro just waved a hand vaguely in my direction, and something crushed me down to the earth, as though I suddenly had gained about five thousand pounds. I felt my lungs strain to haul in a breath, and my vision clouded over with stars and went black. I tried to gather up my magic, to thrust the force away from me, but I couldn't focus, couldn't speak.
Michael looked down at me dispassionately, then said, to Ferro, "Siriothrax should have learned that trick. It might have kept me from killing him."
Ferro's cold regard swept back to Michael, bringing with it a tiny lessening in the pressure - not much, but enough that I could gasp out, "Riflettum", and focus my will against it. Ferro's spell cracked and began to flake apart. I saw him looked at me, sensed that he could have renewed the effort without difficulty. He didn't. I climed back to me feet, gasping quietly.
"So," Ferro said. "You are the one." He looked Michael up and down. "I thought you'd be taller."
Michael shrugged. "It wasn't anything personal. I'm not proud of what I did."
Ferro a tapped a finger against the hilt of his sword. Then said, quietly, "Sir Knight. I would advise you to be more humble in the face of your betters." He cast a disdainful glance at me. "And you might consider a gag for this one, until he can learn better manners."

"Don't ever get a wizard angry..."

Spoiler: show
Not we. The choices had been mine.
I'd risked everything.
And I'd lost.
Michael and I couldn't possibly fight them all alone. They'd taken Susan. The help we thought we'd found had turned against us.
They had Susan.
And it was my fault. I hadn't listened to her, when I should have. I hadn't protected her. And now she was going to die because of me.
I don't know how that realisation would make someone else feel. I don't know if the despair, and the self-loathing and the helpless fury would crumble them like too-brittle concrete, or melt them like dirty lead, or shatter them like cheap glass.
I only know what it did to me.
It set me on fire.
Fire in my heart, in my thoughts, in my eyes. I burned, burned down deep in my gut, burned in places I hadn't know I could hurt.
I don't remember the spell, or the words I said. But I remember reaching for that pain. I remember reaching for it, and thinking that if we had to go, then so help me God, weakened or not, hopeless or not, I was going to take these murdering, bloodsucking sons of *****es with me. I would show that they couldn't play lightly with the powers of creation, of life itself. That it wasn't smart to cross a wizard of the White Council when someone has stolen his girlfriend.
I think Michael must have sense something and taken the girl from my arms, because they next thing I remember is thrusting my hands toward the night sky and screaming, "Fuego!" Pyrofuego! Burn, you greasy bat-faced *******s! Burn!"
I reached for the fire - and the fire answered me.
The tree-towers of the topiary castle exploded into blazes of light, and the hedge-walls, complete with their crenelated tops, went up with them. Fire lept up into the air, forty, fifty feet, and the sudden explosion of it lifted everyone but me up and off the ground, sent wind roaring around us in a gale.
I stood amidst it, my mind brilliantly lit by the power cursing through me. It burned me, and some part of me screamed out in joy that it did. My cloak flapped and danced in the gale, spreading out around me in a scarlet and sable cloud. The abrupt glare fell on the scene of the vampires' revelry, lighting it harshly. The young people of earlier lay about, out in the darkness near the hedges, near the fires, pathetic little lumps. Some of them twitched. Some of them breathed. A few whimpered and tried to crawl away from the heat - but most lay dreadfully still, perfectly still.
Pale. Pretty.
Dead.
The fury in me grew. It swelled and burned and I reached out to the fires again. Flames flew out, caught one of the more cowardly of the vampires, huddle at the back, scrabbling to slip his flesh back over his squashed bat face. The fire touched him and then twined about him, searing and blackening his skin, then dragging him back, winding and rolling toward the blaze.
The magic danced in my eyes, my head, my chest, flying wild and out of control. I couldn't follow everything that happened. More vampires got too close to the flames, and began screaming. Tendrils of fire rose up from the ground and began to slither over the courtyard like serpents. Everything exploded into motion, shadows flashing through the brightness, seeking escape, screaming

Old September 6th, 2006, 7:04 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by owltrainer
They are a rare mix of fantasy, mystery, horror and COMEDY!
I've gotten strange looks on the train because I tend to snort a lot when reading the books Harry's just got that deadpan wit... and Thomas, oh I adore Thomas.

Old September 6th, 2006, 7:33 pm
Genius Loci

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooble
Thomas, oh I adore Thomas.
White Court Vampires come across as the worst of them all to me. What a way to die, both very satisfying and highly frustrating. "I want to leave him, but he's just too arrrgghhhh..."

Oh, everyone go here to get the Dresden Files TV promo - http://www.scifi.com/dresdenfiles/

Old September 6th, 2006, 9:34 pm
Queen of Air and Darkness

I just started reading #3 Grave Peril, I already read book one and couldn't find book two. I could order it online if ever I want to do so.

I received book one as a British gift and I instantly liked the book for two reasons: it was from a good friend and the front page was slick. As soon as I started to read it, I enjoyed a lot that not-really-extraordinary wizard in book one. I really felt it was a polar with a magical dark touch. So I was hooked to it and looked forward for the following files.

Well, If I had seen their American look without anyone telling me it was good, I would have never bought them. I find the front page very 'kitsch', too flashy, like cheap series of love books but fantasy instead of love.

In book three there isn't that police story with in magical twist and I miss it. I think Butcher is an excellent writer to mix those two genres and it was unique. Now we are full-speed fantasy and the writing style looks like it was written for a TV show.

Yes, I should be a fan of the TV show.

All this being said, I really like the more adult-like style, it is a complete different than HP's world and that is a plus for anyone who enjoys fantasy oooks

Which book did anyone prefer and why? Avoid spoilers without hiding it please.

Last edited by Benzo; September 6th, 2006 at 9:38 pm.
Old September 7th, 2006, 2:59 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth
White Court Vampires come across as the worst of them all to me.
Yeah, but they also seem the sexiest to me. I'm a sucker for a good-looking charmer like Thomas.

Old September 11th, 2006, 10:00 am
Genius Loci

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooble
Yeah, but they also seem the sexiest to me. I'm a sucker for a good-looking charmer like Thomas.
heh, Jim's that good an author.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo
Which book did anyone prefer and why? Avoid spoilers without hiding it please.
Grave Peril because it really unleashed Harry's first potential that his anger produces. You can see why the White Council considers him a threat. That followed by Death Masks and then Proven Guilty.

Old September 11th, 2006, 9:03 pm
First Year

Re: Hooray - The Duster Lives!

Okay, this is a quote straight from Robert Hewitt Wolfe (main writer for the TV series).

"We have Dresden in a very cool, somewhat long (mid-thigh) brown distressed leather coat. This shoots better than the duster. Also, our production designer came up with an idea that, since good wizards are very careful to avoid Black Magic, they would also avoid black clothing and black props, etc. So no long black leather duster. The jacket he's in is very cool though, is leather, and is long enough to be duster-ish if you squint."

I'm a happy fan right now!

Old September 12th, 2006, 8:21 am
Genius Loci

Quote:
Originally Posted by owltrainer
Okay, this is a quote straight from Robert Hewitt Wolfe (main writer for the TV series).
Yeah, I saw that. I like most of the changes they're making for the TV show.

Old September 15th, 2006, 12:14 am
Queen of Air and Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
Yeah, I saw that. I like most of the changes they're making for the TV show.
Where did you read about that?

I just finished Grave Peril (book 3), what a blast! I start Summer Knight tonight.

Any favorite book, dear Dresden fans?

Old September 15th, 2006, 8:14 am
Genius Loci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
Where did you read about that?
Robert Wolfe who is writer/producer on the show listed a lot of changes for the show.

1. Harry doesn't wear his duster. He wears a 3/4 length leather jacket.
2. Harry doesn't have a staff like the one in the novel. He uses a hockey stick, which is enchanted. (This is one of the most disliked changes)
3. Harry doesn't drive a blue beetle, but a jeep. Apparently the actor playing Harry didn't look right in the car. Too tall.
4. Bob doesn't live in a skull but in a fireplace.
5. Lt. Karrin Murphy is changed for the show. Not blonde and her name is different because there actually is a Karrin Murphy working for the Chicago Police.

Oh, btw Synopsis for White Night (book 9) is out (SPOILERS AT LOCATION) - http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/9/

Old September 15th, 2006, 8:09 pm
First Year

I think I dislike the jeep much more than the hockey stick. :\ But I can live with that as long as the it's-not-a-duster looks cool.

Old September 16th, 2006, 12:59 am
Zonko's Employee

Which came first? Rowling's or Butcher? Just curious.

Never read them, but I am a member on a forum dedicated to the series and stuff, so I hear things.

Old September 16th, 2006, 2:50 am
First Year

I adore Harry Dresden and have loved all of the books...
Wizard's named Harry are the best....
I can't wait for the TV show....although I suspect I'll have to enjoy it completely seperate from the books; as I do the Harry Potter movies seperate from the books. Otherwise I'd spend too much energy worrying and fretting about the "differences". If I think about that too much, I get upset. So I just sit back and enjoy.

Old September 16th, 2006, 5:37 pm
First Year

I've read all 7 books, and they are very good. The first few books aren't as good as the latter books, but that is to be expected with a new writer. To be honest, I read the Dresden series before the Harry Potter series. While I think Rowling is a better writer, the thing that is so entrancing with the Dresden files is that it is a much better description of magic and how it is cast, etc.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives