Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Could Trevor be a Death Eater?

Old March 8th, 2007, 5:59 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Could Trevor be a Death Eater?

Quote:
Has Trevor actually been mentioned much in the later books? Anyone have quotes?
Sorry, these probably aren't all mentions of him, but I have a few...

"Luna Lovegood"; OotPIn the very last carriage they met Neville Longbottom, Harry's fellow fifth-year Gryffindor, his round face shining with the effort of pulling his trunk along and maintaining a one-handed grip on his struggling toad, Trevor.

"Luna Lovegood"; OotP"Guess what I got for my birthday?" said Neville.

"Another Remembrall?" said Harry, remembering the marble-like device Neville's grandmother had sent him in an effort to improve his abysmal memory.

"No," said Neville. "I could do with one, though, I lost the old one ages ago... no, look at this..."

He dug the hand that was not keeping a firm grip on Trevor into his schoolbag and after a little rummaging pulled out what appeared to be a small grey cactus in a pot, except it was covered with what looked like boils rather than spines.

"Mimbulus Mimbletonia," he said proudly.

Harry stared at the thing. It was pulsating slightly, giving it the rather sinister look of some diseased internal organ.

"It's really, really rare," said Neville, beaming. "I don't know if there's one in the Greenhouse at Hogwarts, even. I can't wait to show it to Professor Sprout. My Great Uncle Algie got it for me in Assyria. I'm going to see if I can breed from it."

Harry knew that Neville's favourite subject was Herbology but for the life of him he could not see what he would want with this stunted little plant.

"Does it - er - do anything?" he asked.

"Loads of stuff!" said Neville proudly. "It's got an amazing defensive mechanism. Here, hold Trevor for me..."

He dumped the toad into Harry's lap and took a quill from his schoolbag.

Page 177; "Luna Lovegood"; OotP"I'll carry that owl if you like," said Luna to Harry, reaching out for Pigwidgeon as Neville stowed Trevor carefully in an inside pocket.

Page 133; "The Slug Club"; HBP "We didn't face him, though," said Neville, emerging from under the seat with fluff and dust in his hair and a resigned-looking Trevor in his hand. "You did. You should hear my gran talk about you. "That Harry Potter's got more backbone than the entire Ministry of Magic put together!" She'd give anything to have you as a grandson..."

Not enough to be notable, I don't think. Now if he'd been mentioned as being on the Astronomy Tower the night Dumbledore had died, I would've been a little suspicious...

Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:47 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritey View Post
Not enough to be notable, I don't think. Now if he'd been mentioned as being on the Astronomy Tower the night Dumbledore had died, I would've been a little suspicious...
Nice collection! Just enough to show that JKR is definitely not letting Trevor fall off the map. If he isn't a Death Eater, he's still almost got have some role in DH.

Old March 9th, 2007, 12:26 am
First Year

Elsewhere I theorized that Trevor is the result of a curse on a wizard. The wizard was trying to destroy a cursed object - specifically Slytherins locket containing LV's horocrux. My theory is that Trevor is R.A.B. ... Regulas Black. Regulas didn't die, he was cursed and something will happen in book 7 to reverse the curse. The question that arises is whether he chose life with the Longbottoms as Scabbers chose it with the Wealesy or whether that is part of the curse.

R.A.B. Regulas is latin for king. What better curse for a king than to be turned into a toad! Just needs a princess to kiss him... or a prince... Now THAT would be some twist!

Old March 9th, 2007, 1:42 am
Fifth Year

Probably not, who would want to watch Neville, except maybe Dumbledore. If Trevor is an animangus, then I think he is more likely to be a member of the order keepng a watch on Neville (and Harry).

Can you guess where I am?

Last edited by dobbysfriend; May 3rd, 2007 at 2:40 am.
Old March 9th, 2007, 2:46 am
Fifth Year

I thought that Neville got Trevor from his uncle. I sure hope that he isn't a death eater.

As bad a Neville's memeory is I always worried more about the poor toad being fed.

Tarot Cards for Fun and Fortune Telling

Someone who spoiled Deathly Hallows

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old March 9th, 2007, 5:04 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn7 View Post
My theory is that Trevor is R.A.B. ... Regulas Black. Regulas didn't die, he was cursed and something will happen in book 7 to reverse the curse. ...R.A.B. Regulas is latin for king. What better curse for a king than to be turned into a toad! Just needs a princess to kiss him...
Oh, it's even better, "regulus" actually is "little king," arguably "prince"
(http://www.answers.com/topic/regulus-2):

Quote:
Reg·u·lus ... n. A bright double star in the constellation Leo.
[Latin rēgulus, diminutive of rēx, rēg-, king....]
That said, I'd need a little more evidence to persuade me believe this, especially since JKR reportedly has confirmed that Regulus is dead. Bad as being turned into a toad must be, I don't think it quite qualifies as "dead."

But perhaps it's remotely possible that Trevor is someone who was cursed. Perhaps an uncle whose Polyjuice Potion went terribly wrong.

Last edited by fruitia pickleweed; March 9th, 2007 at 5:07 am.
Old March 9th, 2007, 6:37 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn7 View Post
...R.A.B. Regulas is latin for king. What better curse for a king than to be turned into a toad! Just needs a princess to kiss him... or a prince... Now THAT would be some twist!
While I'm not quite up to believing this theory, just let me add that Regulus (as in Little King) is also another name for basilisk (a 'crowned' serpent) - so it might also hint at the basilisk theory expounded earlier today.

I'd like to point out that the quotes posted mostly deal with Trevor on the train in OotP - specifically connected to another gift from Neville's uncle - the Mimbletonia. A plant that doesn't actually exist but is closely based (word-wise) on the Mimulus plant - known for herbal remmedies to promote courage. Uncle Algie does seem to like to give useful or meaningful gifts. The plant (which I think helps Neville with his confidence in bk5 - along with the DA) and his toad (which seems to be a reward for getting into Hogwarts). I think 'partly' Trevor is a toad to connect him to Umbridge as a clue and so to the DA which is anti-Umbridge (Trevor keeps trying to get away? And the DA has to escape Umbridge?)

Anyway - I suspect Trevor is always escaping because Neville is not convinced he belongs at Hogwarts, while Trevor was specifically bought because Neville got in.

And when that day would come, that he had better have the appropriate memories that would enable him to lie to Voldy's face.
Old March 9th, 2007, 8:52 am
Curse Breaker

I always thought that Trevor's elusive nature had more to do with Neville's memory than anything sinister in the toad himself. Since the revelation of Wormtail and Skeet--we've all been about as jumpy about Animagi as Bellatrix was on Spinner's End. It's possible that Trevor is an unregistered Animagus, but we have unequivocal statements from JKR that Regulus is dead, so if there is someone hiding as Trevor, it's not him. As for the sinister implications of Trevor's being a toad--well, toads in themselves aren't evil and don't coexist well with basilisks. You'd need to have someone dedicated to the Dark Arts and confident in his or her ability to control a snake to stick get a chicken's egg and force the toad to incubate it. Inventive, cautionary, but I don't think it's true.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old March 10th, 2007, 1:03 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I don't think Trevor's a Death Eater, I don't think JK would put in another imposter like Scabbers aka Petter. Maybe by now we know that Trevor was a Death Eater and we'd be given some kind of hint......

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old March 10th, 2007, 9:24 am
Fifth Year

I seriously doubt that he's a death eater, but I wonder if Trevor is actually Trevor. In the first book Harry overhears Neville telling his Grandmother that he's lost his toad in the train station; But Trevor turns up in one of the boats at Hogwarts.

How did he get from the train station to the boat?

Maybe it wasn't Trevor that Hagrid found in that boat, but another toad that just happened to be there. If it was Trevor, then he must have been in Neville's pocket all along. Either that, or there is something unusual about him.

Old March 10th, 2007, 9:45 am
Zonko's Employee

Sometimes a toad is just a toad, kisses nonwithstanding.

Old March 10th, 2007, 3:39 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim_Reapster View Post
Maybe it wasn't Trevor that Hagrid found in that boat...
Now that is quite a clever idea!

Old March 10th, 2007, 5:19 pm
Second Year

Hi. He is either an animagus, because he likes to run away and come back after a while, like Ron's rat (Pettigrew) did before, or Trevor is a normal frog. But I don't think he is a Death Eater.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 9:22 pm
First Year

Could be, but that would just be silly, like if JK Rowling had nothing else to write. Ron's pet was already a death eater; if Neville's pet was one, too, it's just too much of the same thing.

Zim is doing all he can to prevent Deathly Hallows spoilers. Are you?
If not, join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers with the help of the Irken Empire!!!!

I <3 Heroes
(The new season can't come soon enough!)
Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:16 pm
Definitely not Fourth Year (that's a bit boring)

Sometimes toads are red herrings...

Old April 24th, 2007, 5:51 am
Second Year

i just think that Trevor is an ordinary toad who just likes to disappear.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 1:38 am
First Year

wow, talk about a bummer assignment, imagine joining a terrorist group, only to find that your a job is to spend several years as a toad!
i havn't much thought about it though, and spying on Neville as a toad seems like Voldy-shorts is wasting his time. if he really wanted Neville or Harry that badly, he could figure out a way to get them much more easily, like he did in the graveyard.
and who would Trevor be anyway? RAB?

WHEN SNAPES ATTACK

" Are YOU a fan of tasty delicious-ness?"
Old May 3rd, 2007, 2:26 am
Third Year

I doubt JK would pull this again. She used the "pet is really an evil wizard in disguse" trick once, it would seem kind of redundant to pull that out of the hat again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&i tem=170269184909

YOU'RE GOING TO END UP LIVING OFF A STEADY DIET OF GOVERNMENT IMPORTED CHEESE, AND LIVING IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 2:30 am
Third Year

I'd be a little annoyed if she did the pet as an animagus thing again. I feared it would be so, since he's lived for a long time and I didn't think toads had such lifespans, but I looked it up and its more than possible. I believe he is simply a normal toad...

Old May 3rd, 2007, 2:30 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru0001 View Post
Well Neville seems to lose him in the first book and finds him later. Could Trevor be a death eater?
Not a bad thought but I think it unlikely... He is hardly mentioned in the books and I dont know...

Just think it unlikely...

"It was, he thought the difference between being dragged into the arena to face a battle to the death and walking into the arena with your head held high. Some people, perhaps, would say that there was little to choose between the two ways, but Dumbledore knew--and so do I, thought Harry with a rush of fierce pride, and so did my parents--that there was all the difference in the world."

- Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives