Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

Old September 19th, 2006, 6:01 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead
Well, I did and this is what it read:
OotP, Dudley Demented, Pages 17, 18, and 19, American, HBA towering, hooded figure was gliding smoothly toward him, hovering over the ground, no feet or face visible beneath its robes...and as the stag charged, the dementor swooped away, batlike and defeated...like its fellow, it soared away and was absorbed into the darkness.
What do you think 'soar' means?

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2006, 6:10 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4r6000 View Post
What do you think 'soar' means?
Ah, I must have overlooked that when I was writing my explanation. Well, this is somewhat contradictory to the gliding part, but gliding can also mean gliding at a height. However, I should have included that the stag had knocked that said dementor into the air - therefore, the dementor would be able to soar away since it had been acted on by a force, propelling it into the air.

However, either way - gliding, soaring, hovering, or flying - the movie portrayed the dementors as if they were on a rollercoaster, whereas in the books I do not get the feel that they can do loops up in the air and fly after a target on a broomstick. In the book the dementors were not high into the air - they merely came into the stadium and the effects were immediate - they didn't have to chase after a target. The film did a good job showing the cold feeling the dementors created, but the movements were disturbing.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old September 19th, 2006, 7:33 pm
First Year

i quite liked the dementors as well-i loved how they looked-it made a much better image in my mind-and by better i mean it gave them the frearfull effect. i also really liked the second task in GOF-it was very well done and those merpeople were really cool!!

Old September 19th, 2006, 9:55 pm
First Year

I loved that in the movies, Ron and Hermione's relationship was a bit more, I don't know, noticable? Especially that awkward moment in CoS. I also loved Durmstrang's and Beauxbatons' entrances for Goblet of Fire.

Old September 19th, 2006, 11:14 pm
Fourth Year

I thought their entrances were just...weird.

Old September 19th, 2006, 11:25 pm
Fourth Year

I didn't like the entrances. Too show-offy theatrical. And why were they all one gender for each school?
I like:
DEMENTORS!
DRAGONS!
DEATH EATERS!
But their werewolves suck.

Old September 19th, 2006, 11:36 pm
Fourth Year

I didn't care for Lupin werewolf either, but I did like the dragon in the First Task. Although having her chase Harry all around the castle was, well, a little too much. But it did look good on film.

The only thing that bothers me about the Tasks is that the other students watching didn't get to see all that much, especially in the Second and Third Tasks. Seems like that would get sort of boring. Then again, that's pretty much how it was described in the books. They could see much better in the First Task of course, except when the Dragon got loose and took off after Harry.

Old September 19th, 2006, 11:50 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by pygmY_PufFer View Post
Hmmm let's see...

BTW, did you get this idea for the thread from another forum? Just wondering because I've seen this thread topic somewhere else before . Never mind, it's all right, you don't have to answer.

Okay. There are definitely things that I liked better or to describe more accurately, what I thought was fun to include in movie form, or certain things which are kinda hard to imagine just from reading, but put visually on screen to give me a better idea. I do love the books so much, and even though they'll always top the movies in my list, there are still stuff that I appreciate in the movies.

PS/SS

-The two scenes with Seamus blowing up something in PS/SS. Especially the way Hermione jumped back when his glass of water blew up and waved her hand at her nose. The second time, when Professor Flitwick wobbled on his stack of books and the feather just came flying down and Seamus having his face blackened and hair messed up.

- The chess scene. Hands down, my favourite scene in the entire movie. When I was watching it for the first time I was just like, "whoa, whoa..." lol.

CoS

- The "Diagonally" "Diagon Alley" Harry said when travelling by floo powder and after that when he emerged in Borgin and Burkes with his body coming in diagonally

- Ron's howler. The words and also the way it was folded to shape like a mouth. And the tongue sticking out at the end of it before it burst.

- The duelling club with the raised platform running down through the middle rather than just people scattered everywhere on the floor like in the book. Very cool. One little bit I'd like to add, I liked the way the camera angle was from topview when the snake flew up in the air. (I know the movie experts around here would be like, "that's nothing, man." But what the hell)

- The basilisk duel at the end. The added scene where the basilisk went down the tunnels and Harry threw a stone to lead it the wrong way. The set of the chamber. The way the metal snakes on the door leading to the chamber curled in one by one as the snake on the rim went around them.

- The almost hug but just hand shake between Ron and Hermione. So sweet.

PoA

- The way Aunt Marge blew up and flew out of the house into the sky, screaming. (I wonder where she flew up to, and how she managed to get back down? lol)

- The way the dementors made everything cold by freezing them. I thought this was a good way to describe how they made everything so cold like it's described in the book.

- Dumbledore making the candlelight disappear and reappear again with a wave of his hand (was he saying that darkness can be found in the darkest places if only one remembers to turn on the light? I forgot)

- The Fat Lady insisting that everyone listen while she tries to sing as loud as she can to break the glass she was holding

- Dumbledore explaining about strawberry fields to Fudge outside Hagrid's hut to give Harry and Hermione more time to free Buckbeak.

GoF

- The atmosphere when Harry, Hermione and the Weasleys arrive at the campsite for the QWC, with people juggling, singing...

- The tent, with the colourful furniture and the "feet off the table" by Fred and George. NOT the "I love magic" though, obviously..

- The QWC with people cheering in the stadium and the Bulgarian players doing a routine on their broomsticks (particularly Krum)

-The way the DEs looked.

- The homework club, especially when Snape kept hitting Harry and Ron's heads for talking.

- The dancing lesson.

That's about all I can think for now. Did I say too many scenes that were just comedy stuff? Oh well, didn't mean to. They just came to my head. Maybe it's true that the things you remember best are funny things. Ah well. I better stop here.
I agree almost word to word with what you have said.

Old September 20th, 2006, 3:42 pm
First Year

i completely agree about the entrances being a little flashy...and definitely about the dragon-she was very well "made". i spose a little bit of chasing would've been fine but they just put so much into that scene that even a bit of the match (world cup) would've been nice. in POA i really liked when they enter their dormitory for the first time-they have those cookies/crackers/candy-whatever they were and they do the animals-the lion was awesome lol.

in COS i really really loved the chamber-it was exactly as i had imagined and it was really cool being able to see it.

in PS/SS i really loved the sorting except only harry, ron, hermione, and draco's names were called lol but not too picky about that. the centaurs were pretty aweseome too and in COS lockhart's character was played fabulously!

Old September 20th, 2006, 4:07 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hplove19 View Post
the centaurs were pretty aweseome too
I know what Centaurs look like thanks to Mythology movies... That little cgi-ed piece of mud was no Centaur! I hope they do better in OOTP!

End my mini-rant, begin my post.

1) Remus Lupin: In the books, I could never get a clear picture of what he looked like. But now when I read the books, I pretty much see David Thewlis. Plus his acting is just superb as Remus Lupin!

2) The chess scene in SS/PS: Like everyone else, this scene is awesome. I could never see it in my head when reading the books. The movie did it for me.

3) The Chamber (COS): Definitely liked it better in the movies. I could see it in my mind in the book, but nothing like they showed it in the movie!

4)Buckbeak (POA): Before I saw the pictures of Buckbeak (before the movie came out) I had NO idea of what he looked like!

5) Dementors: I agree with who ever said that in the book they were pictured as gliding Ringwraiths... although poorly shown as a flying creature in the movies, the dementor still looked great!

6) Quidditch: The only Quidditch scene in the books I like is the Quidditch World Cup game. But in the movies I love all the Quidditch Games!!! Even though they left out the game in GoF.

I will probably think of more later.

Old September 20th, 2006, 4:26 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinMayflower
[*]Time Turner Sequence (PoA): They managed to make something that was originally in the novel that was mostly waiting, waiting and more waiting into something kinetic. I love time travel sometimes when done smartly and correctly in such a way that it makes a significant impact. More importantly they made time travel far more significant a presence in the film that not only elevates the involvement of Time Travel Harry and Hermione with the time stream, but also the presence of Dumbledore in aiding them in his own little eccentric way. Most of all, it was fun...REALLY fun.
I liked the movie anyway, but that entire sequence clinched it for me. I, too, love time travel done well. Everything about it, from Hermione slapping Harry's hand away to Harry's nonsensical but totally understandable explanation while flying on Buckbeak...it all worked and I loved every second of it.

Also, any excuse to have Gary Oldman around is a good thing.

Old September 20th, 2006, 6:28 pm
Second Year

I don’t know if I like this better in the movie, but I really liked the emotional Intensity of Hermione in GoF… wait, I know what you are about to say, ’But she spend the whole movie being a hysterical crying girly girl…’, and yes- that was the beauty of it:
In the book, the trio ‘realizes’ that she is in fact a girl, and she is described more like a raving teenage girl (nothing negative here- as I have been one of them ), but how do you portray that in a movie: by making her cry and be hysterical in almost every scene. That made the GoF- virgins see the emotional evolution of her.
Am I all alone in this, or is there someone else who feels the same way?

DH was great, but still sad it's all over, what are we to do you might ask.... read them all again.. and again and again and again can't wait
Old September 20th, 2006, 8:03 pm
First Year

I liked how the Durmstrang and Beuxbatons students entered Hogwarts in GoF too. the Buckbeak rife in the PoA was good as well.

Old September 21st, 2006, 10:13 am
Seventh Year

I really liked how Peter Pettigrews name was seen by Harry on the Marauders Map.

Everyone has a photographic memory ... some, like me, just don't have any film
Old September 21st, 2006, 11:54 am
Fourth Year

when Ron and Hermione were standing by the shrinking shake and when Hermione hugged Ron when Buckbeak was killed

Old September 21st, 2006, 9:45 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
I really liked how Peter Pettigrews name was seen by Harry on the Marauders Map.
I like that bit for the film. I'm glad it wasn't that way in the book because it would have been a huge give-a-way, but it worked perfect in the film.

Emotional Landscapes
Old September 21st, 2006, 9:59 pm
Second Year

I really liked in the fourth movie the second task. I thought that they made that scence really well. I could really understand it alot better then in the book. I could understand it so well because instead of telling you in a book you could see it in a movie. I really liked that scene. But the only think I was most dissapointed with in that scene was that in the book Dobby gave Harry the Gillyweeed and I was really looking forward to seeing Dobby give Harry the Gillyweeed in the movie. I was really let down. Although you do see Neville's funny side when he gives Harry the Gillyweed and he thinks that he's killed him. I really liked that scene.

Old September 22nd, 2006, 4:58 am
Second Year

Quote:
But the only think I was most dissapointed with in that scene was that in the book Dobby gave Harry the Gillyweeed and I was really looking forward to seeing Dobby give Harry the Gillyweeed in the movie.
Movies are an artform. Making a movie from a book is like asking someone to make a mountain out of a mole hill. you just don't have enough. But,l I too would have loved to see Dobby again. And Winkie.

If they made a nine hour movie that depicts every bit of the books, I would watch it. I might be the only one, but I would watch it.

But there were things I did like better in a way when depicted on film. I only picked up PS/SS because of the movies 1-3.
  • Hoiwlers in the movie are more animated that in my own mind.
  • the castle, with its turrets and such are prettier than I would have imagined.

Athough the castle keeps changing from movie to movie(the walt to Hagrids from castle SS/PS, PoA...)
  • House elves are cuter.
  • I like MovieLupin better than my ImaginaryLupin..

I could go on, but must unfortunatly go.

Old September 22nd, 2006, 1:05 pm
Zonko's Employee

There was something I posted in the read-a-thon which I want to post here but absolutely can't remember it...but it has to do with the first book. Hopefully it will come to me.

I too prefer the books to the films so don't really analyse the films too much but...having watched the "extras" for GoF I appreciate the dragon and underwater scene much more. When I first watched it I found it all quite boring and was getting cross about how far from the book it went, particularly the dragon, but watching the extras made me realise why they did it, and in the case of the water sequences, just how much work they, Daniel in particular, had to go through...so I appreciate it much more for that reason!

As for my first thing, it's a line or action which I think Hermione does in the film which doesn't happen in the book and a lot of us wish it had.

Mrs Weasley set the potion down on the bedside cabinet, bent down, and put her arms around Harry. He had no memory of ever being hugged like this, as though by a mother. The full weight of everything he had seen that night seemed to fall in upon him as Mrs Weasley held him to her. His mother's face, his father's voice, the sight of Cedric, dead on the ground, all started spinning in his head until he could hardly bear it, until he was screwing up his face against the howl of misery fighting to get out of him
Old September 22nd, 2006, 3:14 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

I have to agree with everyone who said the Dueling club in CoS. In the book it seemed like utter choas and wasn't like a real "class." Maybe the choas was Jo's point about Lockhart's teaching skills, but the movie made it more focused.

I also like the Dragons in GoF. Also the added dance lesson and Snape study club were funny.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies