Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

The Twelve Uses of Dragon's Blood

Old January 17th, 2006, 3:38 am
Sixth Year

Re: Questions about Dragon Blood and its Uses?

Quote:
{snip}...Western Medicine, perhaps, rooted its beliefs in mythology. The Norse story of Sigurd and the dragon showed that dragon's blood could allow a special kind of knowledge, such as the understanding of the language of the birds. Other uses included increased bravery. However, dragon blood was also believed to help remove kidney stones as well as the curing of blindness...{snip} (Emphasis added.)
At first I was going to say that it could be the ingredient for a potion to help heal the wounds Bill got from Greyback, but with this information about birds maybe it's a connection to Fawkes. I wonder if Dumbledore had some way of securing information with him-- or a weapon of some kind to help Harry fight Voldemort.

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2006, 7:07 pm
Second Year

We only know: oven cleaner
wands

Presumably: potions
healing

For the rest, we can merely speculate...

Old July 23rd, 2006, 9:23 pm
First Year

12 Uses of Dragon's Blood

THE FOLLOWING ENTRY WAS STARTED AS ITS OWN THREAD, BUT WAS MOVED INTO THIS THREAD, WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE. PLEASE READ IT AND CONSIDER THE WILD SUGGESTIONS THAT IT OFFERS FOR BOOK 7...

One of the 12 uses is known (oven cleaner).

I offer suggestions for 2 of the other 11, and welcome any comment that you may offer on these theories...

FIRST PURPOSE FOR DRAGON'S BLOOD
I propose that one of the uses is to simulate death or impede the death process in some way. If this IS one of the uses, then I would offer that this use takes a long time to take effect. Dumbledore and Snape were implementing this use of Dragon's blood, throughout the course of Book Six, and this is what caused the damage to Dumbledore's arm. HOWEVER, it also gave Dumbledore the ability to fake his death at the end of Book 6... with the intention of giving Voldemort fake-confidence.

SUPPORT: If Dumbledore has a Phoenix for a pet, why did he continue to need Snape's help with the damaged arm (a potion with dragon's blood in it?) and why did the injury persist? There's more to the damage to his arm, than revealed, and this is a potential solution.

SECOND PURPOSE FOR DRAGON'S BLOOD
I propose that the blood can be used for removing scars. The theory is that one of the horocrux's that must be found and destroyed is Harry's scar. The very mark that as part of Harry's fame was placed on Harry (in an unremovable way - or so Voldemort thinks) as a final act of self-preservation by Voldemort.

The infamous prophecy says that Voldemort left a mark on Harry. If it was the result of a horocrux, then it was left on Harry quite intentionally. I would propose that the death that Voldemort caused, to create the horocrux, was the death of James Potter

Many interpret the prophecy wording do say that Harry has power/ability that Voldemort doesn't know about. I would argue that the horocrux was already on Harry, before Lily was killed, but that her death at Voldemort hands yielded something that gave Harry the unknown power that Harry will need to defeat Voldemort.

This all leads to the concept that Harry cannot truly destroy Voldemort until he destroys his scar. To do this, he will use dragon's blood to remove the scar, but because it is a horocrux it will not just vanish off of Harry and the scar will come off like a scab. Then this hard-to-destroy scab/horocrux will be destroyed in some clever way, making Voldemort's defeat an even greater possibility.

Maybe some of this has been proposed...

Maybe some of this is new...

I am a novice at these theories, so I welcome your thoughts and comments on this.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Everyone is talking about what we DO know... I'm curious to see what you all think of the two theories (that started this thread) of possible USES for dragon's blood, to help the 'good' win out in the end.

Do you buy the theories that were used to open this thread? Do you have different versions?

JKR said that dragon's blood is important. Who would like to take a swing at a prophecy regarding what JKR has planned?

Last edited by NightlyWay; July 23rd, 2006 at 11:23 pm.
Old July 24th, 2006, 12:19 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

JKR has drawn heavily on mythology and legends, so I suspect dragon's blood is going to be a way for Fawkes to communicate with Harry. Perhaps Dumbledore used dragon's blood as a means of having him communicate with the other members of the OotP through Fawkes when secrecy was needed. We have been told that Fawkes alerted members of the OotP including the Weasleys during dangerous situations. If this is so, where did Fawkes go when he left Hogwarts? There has been speculation that if Snape were working with Dumbledore all along, Fawkes went to him and he will communicate with Harry when the time is right, or perhaps he went to Aberforth and again will be used to communicate with Harry through the use of dragon's blood.

Old September 15th, 2006, 1:53 pm
Sixth Year

The Twelve Uses of Dragon's Blood

I was looking through old quotes in Madam Scoop's archive at the Lexicon and found this interesting mention:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The San Francisco Chronicle, October 30, 1999
Q: What are the 12 uses for dragon's blood? -- Kelsey Biggar, age 9

A: I have a very good reason for not telling you -- the movie script writer wants me to give him that information for the film. But I can say that the 12th use is oven cleaner.
http://www.quick-quote-quill.org/art...le-chonin.html
This got me to thinking. Our attention is drawn to Dragon's Blood again in HBP, when Slughorn uses it to splash around the walls and then collects it back up again afterwards, saying it is very useful and expensive stuff.

We know from Philosopher's Stone that it was Dumbledore who, along with Flamel, discovered the twelve uses for Dragon's Blood.

So, what are they? And if JK doesn't want to tell us for a "very good reason", how could they impact Harry's quest? Or how might they have impacted upon it already, without us noticing that Dragon's Blood was being used?

My fics: My Lilyflower (a James/Lily fic)
Tiger Lily (a James/Lily sequel)
Hermione Granger's Diary: Hermione a la Bridget Jones!

Harry Ginny ... Tonks Remus ... Hermione Ron
Fear my armada, for it is strong and mighty...
Old September 15th, 2006, 2:13 pm
Second Year

Re: The Twelve Uses of Dragon's Blood

I really hope we will find out all about it in book 7....
But we only know oven cleaner for sure. Dragon's Blood is used in wands, but I think that Dumbledore didn't figure that out himself (Ollivander's has been making wands with unicorn's hairs, phoenix' feathers and dragon's blood since 382 b.C.).
In OotP, Hagrid uses dragon's beef so his wounds wouldn't smart - maybe healing is one of the 12 uses?
And Slughorn had dragon's blood in HBP, so... can we assume it's used in potions?

But... what impact on book 7 those uses will have - I have no idea.

It's too bad that was back in 1999, maybe she changed her mind about it and decided to not use it at all... in that case I just hope we will learn about the twelve uses of dragon's blood anyway

Last edited by HP_hedgehog; September 15th, 2006 at 2:25 pm.
Old September 15th, 2006, 4:49 pm
Sixth Year

Maybe the difference in colour is to do with how long it's been away from the dragon? Green when fresh, red after a week, or a month, or something.

The fact that Slughorn has Dragon's blood would suggest to me that it can be used in potions of some sort. He is the potions master, after all.

Old September 15th, 2006, 6:31 pm
First Year

Hermione Snape, I think your signature is pretty cool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselkneazle View Post
Hermione Snape, I think your signature is pretty cool!!
Perhaps dragon blood is used to destroy dementors???

Old September 15th, 2006, 7:04 pm
Fourth Year

So there are 11 left for us to discover. Potions, really complicated potions. Maybe it's in Wolfsbane, and that's why it taste so bad.

Old September 15th, 2006, 7:20 pm
Fourth Year

Maybe HArry has some Dragon's blood in him? ::shrugs::

I REALLY Had Always Trusted Severus Snape!!
"Nitwit, Blubber, Oddment, Tweak!" ~ Albus Dumbledore

http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=79218
Old September 15th, 2006, 7:26 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Maybe HArry has some Dragon's blood in him? ::shrugs::
kinda doubt that but maybe it has healing and restorative problems because Hagrid uses raw dragon meat on his injuries in OoTP

Old September 15th, 2006, 7:39 pm
Second Year

Maybe that's how Dumbledore disappears without an invisibility cloak...then again, who would want to have to splash blood all over them.

I think healing powers is good...as per Hagrid and the steak.

Someone said destroying horcruxes...that would certainly fit in with the next storyline.

I would imagine it has uses in potion making as well...maybe a few drops in the felix felicitius (SP?).

How about breaking powerful enchantments....like the Fidelus charm...maybe that's how they found baby Harry in Godric's Hollow.

ok, I'm done for now

Hermione Granger

Take this quiz!
Old September 15th, 2006, 8:30 pm
Seventh Year

A few times we read about dragon blood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS, chapter 14, page 248 british paperback edition
It was hard to relax with Hermione next to you reciting the twelve uses of dragon`s blood or practising wand movements.
They learn about the uses in their first year at hogwarts. Pity their isn`t a hint for which subject Hermione recited this. First years at hogwarts have Transfiguration, Potions, History, Astronomy, Herbology, Charms and Defence against the Dark Arts. The most likely subject is Potions, maybe DaDa (later I come back to it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBP, chapter 4, page 66 british edition
"Yes, dragon," repeated the wizard conversationally. "My last bottle, and prices are sky-high at the moment. Still, it might be reusable."
Another hint that it is potions, where the learned about the uses, because Slughorn is the Potions teacher. Also interesting, that Slughorn mentioned how expensive it is, not ever, but in these days. These days are danger days. An old german epic poem, the Nibelungenlied, tells a story of dragon-slayer Siegfried. After killing the dragon, he bathes in its blood, making him invulnerable. Maybe a use for dragon blood is healing (we have seen this with Hagrid) or making invulnerable.

And last, but not least, we have a dragon-keeper, Charlie, not very useful until today. Therefore I think, the dragon blood is a part of book 7.

Percy wouldn`t recognise a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby`s tea-cosy.
Old September 15th, 2006, 9:10 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_hedgehog View Post
I really hope we will find out all about it in book 7....
But we only know oven cleaner for sure. Dragon's Blood is used in wands, but I think that Dumbledore didn't figure that out himself (Ollivander's has been making wands with unicorn's hairs, phoenix' feathers and dragon's blood since 382 b.C.).
In OotP, Hagrid uses dragon's beef so his wounds wouldn't smart - maybe healing is one of the 12 uses?
And Slughorn had dragon's blood in HBP, so... can we assume it's used in potions?
Ollivander wands contain dragon heartstrings, not blood.

Well, if they dragon blood as a possible core for wands, it hasn't been stated.

Old September 15th, 2006, 9:18 pm
Third Year

It could be used for very complex potions or used for dark magic. It might come in handy in 7th book.

Old September 15th, 2006, 9:36 pm
Sixth Year

I think it's fairly certain to say that healing properties are at least one of the uses of dragon blood.

Also, if Hermione knows the twelve uses of dragon blood then one of them is not, at least not directly, that it destroys horcruxes. Dumbledore won't let horcruxes be mentioned in his school, let alone taught to the first years. And Hermione had never heard of horcruxes before, so that can't be one of the twelve.

1-9. ?
10. Advanced potions ingredients
11. Healing/restorative properties
12. Oven cleaner

(I don't know why I've done that list backwards!)

Old September 15th, 2006, 9:49 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
Ollivander wands contain dragon heartstrings, not blood.

Well, if they dragon blood as a possible core for wands, it hasn't been stated.
Ollivander, though he uses many different wandwoods, uses only three magical cores for his wands: Phoenix feather, Unicorn tail hair, Dragon heart-string.

This does not mean other magical cores---including Dragon's blood---are not used, depending on the country of origin of the wand. Fleur's wand had Veela hair. Krum's was Dragon heart-string. So, to date, there are four known types of wand cores, all of which are solid, not liquid, in nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essbee View Post
10. Advanced potions ingredients
11. Healing/restorative properties
12. Oven cleaner
I agree.

We know it's used in Potions.
We also know that Hagrid used a bloody 'dragon' steak for his injuries to his face...and Hagrid knows how to heal, in his own way. He's responsible for the health of the animals at Hogwarts and also the forest.
We also know it's used in cleaning solutions, thanks to JK...

And that the 12 uses are significant, in some way, to the story.

Old September 15th, 2006, 10:21 pm
Sixth Year

Other than cleaning and healing, what else would you want something to be able to do? I'm drawing a bit of a blank.

Divination? Ressurecting Dark Lords? Or maybe Hermione might have mentioned that...

The fact that Hermione knows them, but hasn't mentioned them yet, makes me think that their uses may seem fairly inoccuous out of context.

Old September 15th, 2006, 10:26 pm
I want to believe

I definitely agree with the idea of dragon blood having restorative/healing properties, as well as being an important ingredient in potions. I wonder though if we should be counting dragon blood's use as a potion ingredient as one separate use, or if all of its uses have a basis in potions. For instance, dragon blood added in one potion might produce healing/restorative properties, but added to another might make oven cleaner solution. Maybe added to another potion dragon blood enables the drinker to have superhuman strength, or maybe dragon blood is used in something we're familiar with, like Felix Felixes (though I can't remember if Slughorn ever told us what ingredients went into Felix Felixes) or like Essbee said, Voldemort's resurrection potion.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 15th, 2006, 10:50 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
I definitely agree with the idea of dragon blood having restorative/healing properties, as well as being an important ingredient in potions. I wonder though if we should be counting dragon blood's use as a potion ingredient as one separate use, or if all of its uses have a basis in potions. For instance, dragon blood added in one potion might produce healing/restorative properties, but added to another might make oven cleaner solution. Maybe added to another potion dragon blood enables the drinker to have superhuman strength, or maybe dragon blood is used in something we're familiar with, like Felix Felixes (though I can't remember if Slughorn ever told us what ingredients went into Felix Felixes) or like Essbee said, Voldemort's resurrection potion.
I think you make a good point. Potion use probably covers most, if not all, of the applications.

So what types of potions do you have? Healing potions, cleaning potions.

Maybe it's a component of the Draught of Living Death? I can't remember if we've been told what goes in that.

As for Felix, Slughorn never told us what was in it, but Harry does flick through his copy of Advanced Potions and reads out a couple of bits, mainly just that it takes six months to brew.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives