Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

The Twelve Uses of Dragon's Blood

Old September 15th, 2006, 10:55 pm
First Year

Re: The Twelve Uses of Dragon's Blood

Strange this isn't on the list of Book 7 loose ends. Maybe I missed it.

I always thought it might ward off Avada Kedavra. But when a 4th reading showed the 12 uses were listed in a text Hermoine was studying first year, I gave up on that.

The language of the birds idea is great. maybe this is why DD understood parseltongue when visiting the Gaunts with Harry???

Essbee, Lily Evans bears a striking likeness to Anna Hathaway? Is that really the actress that plays Lily?

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Sixth Year

No, she's not playing Lily. It is Anne Hathaway in my sig though. I just think she makes a really good young Lily Evans.

If parseltongue was an ability that people could gain at will by drinking dragon blood, why wouldn't Dumbledore have mentioned that to Harry? Also, since Hermione learnt all the 12 uses in her first year, she surely would have mentioned it to Harry when she and Ron told Harry about what a parselmouth was. Come to think of it, Harry probably would have recognised the name or the ability from his first year lessons.

My fics: My Lilyflower (a James/Lily fic)
Tiger Lily (a James/Lily sequel)
Hermione Granger's Diary: Hermione a la Bridget Jones!

Harry Ginny ... Tonks Remus ... Hermione Ron
Fear my armada, for it is strong and mighty...
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:19 pm
First Year

Point taken. However, as bright as Hermoine is, she does not always track well when under pressure or in a new situation. Like forgetting she is a witch in book one or seemingly forgetting the use of a bezoar in book 6. Just seems like a good dovetail with the mythological significance?

Old September 15th, 2006, 11:22 pm
Sixth Year

With the antidote solution in book six, she was being Hermione and following the rules. She wasn't there when Ron was poisoned, so that can't really be used as an example.

I wouldn't have said that she was particularly under pressure when telling Harry about Parseltongue either. And she had the entire year to remember and mention it, but never did. Also, that implies that Harry nor Ron remembered learning about it in lessons, or hearing Hermione reciting it closer to exam times.

Old September 16th, 2006, 12:23 am
Second Year

oh this is a fun question!!!

How cool would it be for Harry to be pondering somthing majorly important, look down at one of Rons old chocolate frog cards and see Dumbeldores uses for Dragons blood right in front of him!

To be honest, I think the dragons blood (and a bezoar) will be very useful in the end, if you get my drift. Well mabey not....but anyway, I think that the dragons blood is going to be where Slughorn steps in to help Harry out....come to think of it, I wonder if Slughorn helped Dumbeldore figure out what the blood is for?

Old September 16th, 2006, 8:48 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essbee View Post
I think you make a good point. Potion use probably covers most, if not all, of the applications.

So what types of potions do you have? Healing potions, cleaning potions.

Maybe it's a component of the Draught of Living Death? I can't remember if we've been told what goes in that.

As for Felix, Slughorn never told us what was in it, but Harry does flick through his copy of Advanced Potions and reads out a couple of bits, mainly just that it takes six months to brew.
The Draught of Living Death:
Snape mentioned in the first years, that it contains powdered root of asphodel and an infusion of wormwood. In the sixth year we find out that also sopophorous beans and valerian roots are ingredients of the draught.

Felix Felicis, Amortentia:
We don`t know any ingredients until today.

Veritaserum:
the only ingredient we know are jobberknoll feathers.

Polyjuice potion:
Fluxweed, Leeches, Lacewing flies, Knotgrass, Bicorn horn and Boomslang Skin are known.

And I had the idea, that the twins are familiar with potions ingredients.

Percy wouldn`t recognise a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby`s tea-cosy.
Old September 16th, 2006, 10:46 pm
Sixth Year

If only we had a copy of Advanced Potion Making. That would certainly make this easier!

D'you think JKR would loan us one?

If dragon blood is expensive and hard to get, I doubt that it is an ingredient in really common potions. Probably just things that are taught at NEWT level or not taught at all.

Of course, that doesn't help narrow down the field that much...

I've got a vague theory that all the things that Snape mentions in Harry's first potions lesson will turn out to be important in the future. We've seen the use of a bezoar in a significant fashion (saving Ron's life in HBP). I think that the Draught of the Living Death might be important in the future too, as well as... I can't remember what the other thing was. But, I think we've seen it already.

I know, I know, I'm a bit useless. I never have my books when I'm doing this stuff, I do so much from memory!

Since dragon blood is rare, and veritaserum is rare, there could be a parallel there. Especially since dragon blood is green (or some types are, it would seem), and so is veritaserum. Felix is gold, so it's possible, but maybe not so likely. Mind you, potions seem to change colour with little respect to their ingredients, so that might be a bit of a misleading idea.

Maybe other appearances of dragons in the books could give us clues?

I can only remember of Harry getting chased by a dragon in Goblet of Fire, and Ron getting bitten by Norbert in Philosopher's Stone. His hand swelled up and went green. Of course, fangs could be poisonous and have little to do with the blood, but you never know...

Does anyone know of any other appearances of dragons that might be significant?

Old September 17th, 2006, 12:08 am
First Year

My first thought is that it might give one invisibility in some way - we never found out how Dumbledore doesn't need a cloak to do it.

I'm sure some of them are ridiculous like the oven cleaner. It probably goes really well on cupcakes or something.

"If I were a death-eater, I would be sure to research my own jam preferences before impersonating myself."
Old September 17th, 2006, 12:39 am
Sixth Year

But Hermione knows them all. Or did, in PS/SS at any rate. So I doubt it'd be directly that, else more people would be trying it. It could be a component of it though.

I agree with some of them probably being a little bit ridiculous.

I'll vote for one of them being an important component in Rita Skeeter's lipstick.

Old September 17th, 2006, 1:57 am
First Year

Historically Dragon's blood has quite a few uses that I have been able to find. Such as medication for serveral illnesses, incense, and varnish for violins. I haven't found anything that could be relevant to the books though, and it is highly possible that JKR came up with the uses entirely on her own for this one.

Old September 17th, 2006, 2:26 am
Second Year

Quote:
I know, I know, I'm a bit useless. I never have my books when I'm doing this stuff, I do so much from memory!

Since dragon blood is rare, and veritaserum is rare, there could be a parallel there. Especially since dragon blood is green (or some types are, it would seem), and so is veritaserum.
Actually, it's colorless, as well as odorless and tasteless. I think, at least; I'm doing it from memory too.

Maybe Dragon's Blood was used in the Locket potion?

I find it interesting that Slughorn thinks it may be "reusable". What did he want to use it for?

Maybe the same thing as what everyone else wants to suddenly use it for? (Since prices are "sky-high at the moment", with the moment being the rising power of Voldemort, it must have someting to do with fighting Dark Magic, as someone else said)

Who knows, maybe everyone just wants it because it gives you more of a kick than Firewhiskey (Dumbledore may have discovered this while getting drunk with his bro lol).

Old September 17th, 2006, 10:26 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
If dragon blood is expensive and hard to get, I doubt that it is an ingredient in really common potions. Probably just things that are taught at NEWT level or not taught at all.
I agree, therefore I choose these potions. And we can guessing about why much more using it now. Therefore I think one of the uses is connected to the Dark Arts or the Fight against it.

Percy wouldn`t recognise a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby`s tea-cosy.

Last edited by Annett; March 4th, 2007 at 10:32 am.
Old September 17th, 2006, 1:30 pm
First Year

It would be sooo cool if it helped destroy a horcrux or made Harry invincible or something because of his love in him... but I don't think it will because I've been stumped by the fact that they all know the 12 uses! arghhh!!! If it was some big secret that only Dumbledore knew then it would explain his little powers he has such as what somebody said earlier (sorry can't remember who) when they were talking about it giving the power to speak to birds... okay, I don't know anything for now but it's going to be a great adventure finding out... (do I always say that... well it's true - everything in Harry Potter is a great adventure to me!!!)

Old September 17th, 2006, 6:56 pm
Second Year

As I know from other sources and books [and as many of you already said that here] the dragon blood is useful for:
1. healing
2. making the person invulnerable for the fire and any human's weapon, by putting it all over the skin or maybe using it as a drink.
3. giving to the person ability to understand the animal's language
4. finding the hidden gold
5. and [based on what JR told us] looks like as cleaner for any old dirt, by dissolving it. Hmm, a good idea for destroying [melting] some of the Horcrux.

I will look more in the books for other features…

Last edited by KinDzaDza; September 17th, 2006 at 7:03 pm.
Old September 18th, 2006, 1:12 am
Third Year

Does anyone else think that it goes hand in hand with Alchemy for at least one of the uses. They were on the Chocolate frog card together. I don't know how important they will be though because Hermione already knows them. I don't think that she forgot either. When they run into it though she wil remember. Though in Snapes copy of Advanced Potion making there might be something really important.

Old September 18th, 2006, 1:49 am
Sixth Year

I don't know if anyone has said this, but I think Dumbledore drank some dragon blood. If you drink it, you can understand animals, birds, and any language there is!
In another book I read, the charactor had to drink some, just a drop, to understand all the animals in the world. The charactor doesn't enjoy it either, because it is very nasty stuff. Imagine it is like drinking oven cleaner. But it is worth it, if you can understand everyone and everything. Maybe Harry could talk to dementors and sic them on voldemort? Or he could talk to crookshanks or another animal to find out what it thinks.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Or face the wrath of the four-legged duckling of dooooom!

Severus Snape= Pauses Nerves
Deathly Hallows= The old hallways

Last edited by Kidney Pie; September 18th, 2006 at 1:52 am.
Old September 18th, 2006, 2:04 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidney Pie View Post
I don't know if anyone has said this, but I think Dumbledore drank some dragon blood. If you drink it, you can understand animals, birds, and any language there is!
In another book I read, the charactor had to drink some, just a drop, to understand all the animals in the world. The charactor doesn't enjoy it either, because it is very nasty stuff. Imagine it is like drinking oven cleaner. But it is worth it, if you can understand everyone and everything. Maybe Harry could talk to dementors and sic them on voldemort? Or he could talk to crookshanks or another animal to find out what it thinks.
I would assume that it wouldn't be like that because anyone with a bunch of galleons could speak to animals. And JK seems to make it a point thatdrinking blood isn't very good. I.e. Vampires and LV drinking Unicorn. And wouldn't Hermione have thought of that in CoS. I would think that it would also be a big deal because we would have heard of someone trying it. I know if I had been a student and all I had to do was drink some blood to talk to all animals i might consider it

Old September 18th, 2006, 2:19 am
First Year

I found this quote on Wikipedia:

"In neopagan Witchcraft, it (Dragon's Blood) is used to increase the potency of spells for protection."

Old September 18th, 2006, 4:34 am
BANNED... No really they are...

Quote:
Maybe the difference in colour is to do with how long it's been away from the dragon? Green when fresh, red after a week, or a month, or something.
I agree. When blood is taken out of the human body, it turns a deep, deep crimson. With time, it looks almost black. It's possible that dragon's blood could work the same way.

Quote:
The fact that Slughorn has Dragon's blood would suggest to me that it can be used in potions of some sort. He is the potions master, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenLH View Post
Maybe it's in Wolfsbane, and that's why it taste so bad.
All sorts of things could be used in a potion. If blood was used in the Wolfsbane potion, I would imagine that it would taste horrible. Dragon's blood has already been shown to have healing powers. Maybe it'll heal Bill with his symptoms of his "pre-werewolf" problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebolt_Rider View Post
Maybe that's how Dumbledore disappears without an invisibility cloak...then again, who would want to have to splash blood all over them.
I've been thinking about this. We were introduced to the Disillusionment Charm in OOTP. Maybe there is a spell that you have to say nonverbally that Dumbledore was a master at. The dragon's blood could also contribute to this. One of the uses of it could be to become invisible and this could prove useful to Harry. Charlie deals with dragons; Ron is part of his Horcrux-hunt posse, he could ask Charlie for some blood once they figure out its uses from (maybe) Dumbledore's portrait.

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Old September 18th, 2006, 1:12 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione Snape View Post
One of the uses is that it is good on chips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_bear View Post
I found this quote on Wikipedia:

"In neopagan Witchcraft, it (Dragon's Blood) is used to increase the potency of spells for protection."
NICE ONE CYRIL>>>>>>SO DUMBLEDORE@S ALIVE......

"THEY DO IT WITH MIRRORS"

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives