Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

What is the link between Snape and Narcissa?

Old September 18th, 2006, 8:56 pm
First Year

What is the link between Snape and Narcissa?

No spoilers are allowed in these areas. Please make sure you've read our Deathly Hallows Conduct Notice!

It is my belief that Snape at one time liked or loved Narcissa. Did Narcissa go to school with Snape? Did he admire her from a far? Did she reject him because he was a half blood? What caused Snape to make a unbreakable vow with her? It seems clear to me that Snape made the vow with Narcissa for her sake and not because he cared for Draco. I think at one time Snape loved Narcissa.

Last edited by gertiekeddle; July 23rd, 2007 at 8:20 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2006, 9:38 pm
Fifth Year

Re: What is the link between Snape and Narcissa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancila View Post
It is my belief that Snape at one time liked or loved Narcissa. Did Narcissa go to school with Snape? Did he admire her from a far? Did she reject him because he was a half blood? What caused Snape to make a unbreakable vow with her? It seems clear to me that Snape made the vow with Narcissa for her sake and not because he cared for Draco. I think at one time Snape loved Narcissa.
I'm with you! I've always had the idea that Snape was infatuated with Narcissa...not Lily Evans!!!!

There is no way that someone like Narcissa, no matter how much she loves husband and son, would approach LV's confidante to request that said confidante violate the will of LV unless there was some Serious Connection that had Narcissa convinced that Snape wouldn't turn her over to LV. The woman's husband had already screwed up....the son was destined to screw up. Talk about getting LV's ire in a knot!? Approaching Snape at this point in time would not be the most prudent thing to do without some kind of guarantee of safety!

Unfortunately, my theory all has to do with the idea that Malfoy and Snape are the same person, that Narcissa knows that, and that the whole scenario at Spinners End was a charade put on for the benefit of Bellatrix and Pettigrew. So, it's doubtful very many posters will see any value in my position on this! (But I'll be glad to explain to anyone willing to ask! )

Just call out my name & you know I'll be there,
I'll come runnin', to see you again. King/Taylor

www.thehpn.com SWM Lily's Revenge
SWM Redemption - A Backstory
Old September 18th, 2006, 10:54 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrlc50 View Post
(But I'll be glad to explain to anyone willing to ask! )

please do explain!! It all sounds very interesting... and there's so many good ideas these days that it's hard to know what will come up so one more theory might just make all the difference!
There may be a link between Severus and Narcissa and I do like the idea of him having someone be infatuated with him.... although I'm not sure that would come up in a Harry Potter book... hmm.... not that I'm putting them together either by the way!!!

Old September 18th, 2006, 11:02 pm
Queen of Apathy

I don't think Snape liked Narcissa. I think in Spinners End he felt sorry for her and thats about it. Narcissa was 4 years older than Snape so I am not sure there would have been any time for feelings to emerge. Narcissa said that Snape and Lucius were old friends so Snape obviously knew the Malfoy family pretty well.

Old September 18th, 2006, 11:14 pm
I want to believe

I think this idea holds some merit. I for one like to see alternatives to Snape loved Lily. As for the specific questions:

Did Narcissa go to school with Snape?
According to the HP lexicon, Snape was born in 1958 while Narcissa was born in 1955, so I'd say they probably did go to school at the same time, though obviously not in the same year. So it's possible they knew each other in school (just FYI, Lucius was born c. 1954, making him a year older than Narcissa and 4 years older than Snape).

Did he admire her from a far? Did she reject him because he was a half blood?
It's possible he could have liked her. They would both have been in Slytherin, so it's possible they may have had some limited interactions. As for rejecting Snape, I wouldn't go so far as saying she rejected him, but likely that she just didn't notice him. But had she known he was half blood she may have rejected him because she seems to have Lucius' views on "mudbloods" (or at least she doesn't seem to have views that oppose Lucius').

What caused Snape to make a unbreakable vow with her?
First, it's very interesting that Narcissa went to Snape of all people to help her. I think this in itself says something. But I kind of agree that Snape made the vow for Narcissa's sake, though I think he also may have done it for Draco's sake as well. Depending on his loyalty, he likely either saw Draco as 1) someone to protect from Voldemort because Snape doesn't want LV to gain any more supporters (in addition to caring for Draco's well-being); or 2) someone to watch and guide in the ways of becoming a Death Eater. I think not knowing exactly where Snape's loyalties truly lie complicates things a bit.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:17 pm
Queen of Apathy

I thought Snape was born in 1960.

Old September 18th, 2006, 11:19 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysme View Post
I thought Snape was born in 1960.
Well, if you look at this page, it says that the most likely year of birth is 1958, but it does say a range of 1958-1960 is possible based on different interpretations.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:20 pm
First Year

uhm Narcissa prolly picked snape because she knows how much draco looks up to him and such....

Old September 19th, 2006, 12:37 am
First Year

I am not sure why Snape had any incentive to make an unbreakable vow with Narcissa but I do not think that it is because Snape was trying to protect Draco from Lord Voldemort because Snape and/or Draco is on the side of good. Moreover, although the Malfoys were pure bloods and Death Eaters, they were out of favor with Voldemort at the time Narcissa approached Snape. Hence, this would not be a reason enough either. Snape would not be pleasing Voldemort in making the bond, because he was promising Narcissa to protect Draco at all cost even if it went against the Voldemort's interest. I just don't see what would have motivated Snape to make a vow unto death to protect Draco. I find it highly unlikely that Snape would risk death for anyone. Please don't tell me it is because Draco might have been Snape's favorite pupil. I will not buy into that one. I also do not believe that Draco is Snape's son. (I read another shipper's posting that said JFK said Snape had no daughters.) Maybe, Snape believes there is nothing he could do that would displease the Dark Lord so he does whatever he wants. However, he did not kill Harry at the end of HBP because Harry is to be left to Voldemort. This post is in reply to RemusLupinfan who was nice enough to answer my questions.

Last edited by nancila; September 19th, 2006 at 1:21 am.
Old September 19th, 2006, 1:36 am
Queen of Apathy

I think Snape made the UV out of pity for Narcissa. I also think that Snape did not want Draco to go down the same path that Snape did when he became a death eater. Even if Snape did have a crush on Narcissa I am not sure what this would add to the overall plot of the series.

Old September 19th, 2006, 9:19 am
First Year

ha kwl theory! loving it but it's a bit random. but who cares it's kwl anyway

-AMELIA (LOVES CHOCOLATE)
Old September 19th, 2006, 9:45 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancila View Post
I am not sure why Snape had any incentive to make an unbreakable vow with Narcissa but I do not think that it is because Snape was trying to protect Draco from Lord Voldemort because Snape and/or Draco is on the side of good. Moreover, although the Malfoys were pure bloods and Death Eaters, they were out of favor with Voldemort at the time Narcissa approached Snape. Hence, this would not be a reason enough either. Snape would not be pleasing Voldemort in making the bond, because he was promising Narcissa to protect Draco at all cost even if it went against the Voldemort's interest. I just don't see what would have motivated Snape to make a vow unto death to protect Draco. I find it highly unlikely that Snape would risk death for anyone. Please don't tell me it is because Draco might have been Snape's favorite pupil. I will not buy into that one. I also do not believe that Draco is Snape's son. Maybe, Snape believes there is nothing he could do that would displease the Dark Lord so he does whatever he wants. However, he did not kill Harry at the end of HBP because Harry is to be left to Voldemort. This post is in reply to RemusLupinfan who was nice enough to answer my questions.
Yeah this is all my belif as well.
Snape does things for Snape, we found out why that would be from his past. He has been hurt a fair few times, so he has probebely lost all faith in feelings for other people.

Old September 19th, 2006, 1:41 pm
Second Year

I can't believe that Snape would risk his own life over pity for anyone. I'm not sure where exactly I stand on Snape's loyalties as of yet, there are a good many points all around. Yet it seems to me that either he is actually good, and agreed to the UV to protect Draco, or else there is a connection with Narcissa we are as yet unaware of-such as obsessive love, infatuation, etc.

He went against the Dark Lord in taking the Vow...so if he really is evil, that was a heck of a risk to take.

Hermione Granger

Take this quiz!
Old September 19th, 2006, 4:39 pm
First Year

I have a crazy theory

I think Snape and Narcissa once loved each other and Draco is Snape's son.

JKR said that Snape does not have a daughter, but she did not say that he does not have a child. So Snape must have a son and Draco is the most obvious choice for that (to me atleast).

JKR also said that Snape was loved once and who else could love him?

Old September 19th, 2006, 4:45 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselkneazle View Post
I have a crazy theory

I think Snape and Narcissa once loved each other and Draco is Snape's son.

JKR said that Snape does not have a daughter, but she did not say that he does not have a child. So Snape must have a son and Draco is the most obvious choice for that (to me atleast).

JKR also said that Snape was loved once and who else could love him?
I don't believe that Draco is Snape's son. Look at the resemblance between Draco and Lucius. I don't think there could be any way that he's his son.

Who else could love Snape? That question brings up (again) the question of "Does Snape Love Lily?" and "Did Lily Love Snape?"

I think that Snape and Narcissa are nothing more than good friends. That was a good theory though.

And about the Unbreakable Vow that he made with Narcissa, maybe that proves that Snape really is a good guy and he wanted to help a good friend.

Last edited by sweet_dea16; September 19th, 2006 at 5:26 pm. Reason: Wanted to add more.
Old September 19th, 2006, 7:43 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by croockshanks View Post
uhm Narcissa prolly picked snape because she knows how much draco looks up to him and such....
But there's also the fact that Snape had a closer tie to Malfoy than anyone else. He was his Head of House and could have come up with excuses to be around Malfoy that didn't look suspicious than if one of the Death Eaters made it and decided to stop by Hogwarts once a week. Yeah, not likely. The vow still bothers me. Maybe Snape didn't have the hots for anyone.. or.. he had hots for everyone.

Old September 19th, 2006, 11:22 pm
Queen of Apathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_dea16 View Post
I don't believe that Draco is Snape's son. Look at the resemblance between Draco and Lucius. I don't think there could be any way that he's his son.

Who else could love Snape? That question brings up (again) the question of "Does Snape Love Lily?" and "Did Lily Love Snape?"

I think that Snape and Narcissa are nothing more than good friends. That was a good theory though.

And about the Unbreakable Vow that he made with Narcissa, maybe that proves that Snape really is a good guy and he wanted to help a good friend.

Exactly

Old September 20th, 2006, 12:24 am
First Year

I did some reading in the thread "Snape the Obsure" and I think I found my answer for what was the motivating factor for Snape. One poster stated that Snape is a ambigious character in that he can act either for good or bad but ultimately is acting for self preservation. Another poster stated that Snape owed no alligience to either side and hence was dangerous to both sides. Someone else agreed with me in that Voldemort would see Snape as a threat. Ultimately, if Voldemort would come to power I think he would kill Snape because Snape will only ever be truly loyal to himself. Snape is someone extremely dangerous because he acts on his own agenda and even though he is a black character (he murdered Dumbledore, relayed the partial prophecy concerning Harry, and enjoyed Sirius plight) he might be capable of helping out the Malfoys. He took a huge risk when he made the unbreakable vow. Maybe he did it for Narcissa, maybe for Narcissa and Draco, or maybe he did it to simply insure that Dumbledore was killed because Snape despised Dumbledore. He certainly did not do it with Lord Voldemort's approval, a huge, huge risk. It might be classified as the ultimate unselfish act on his part, making a unbreakable vow unto death. An extreme act of love from someone who is self preserving evil. I can't help but think of a book by Joseph Conrad "The Heart of Darkness." In that book, they talk about evil not being strictly a matter of black or white but a zone of grayness. Ultimately, it will be very interesting as to whether Harry kills Snape, Voldemort kills Snape, or Snape disappears.

Last edited by nancila; September 20th, 2006 at 12:28 am.
Old September 20th, 2006, 1:02 am
Fifth Year

I can imagine Snape having a crush on Narcissa at school. They were in the same house, she was (I assume) attractive, a little older, and from a powerful family.

I doubt, however, that she would have responded well to any of his advances.

This is a more tangible link between them: Sirius Black, who Narcissa was related to and who was Snape's enemy. I doubt Narcissa approved of Sirius's 'Gryffindor' tendencies, so perhaps sometimes Snape and Narcissa sat around the Slytherin common room and trashed Sirius.

HIPPOGRIFF, n. An animal (now extinct) which was half horse and half griffin. The griffin as itself a compound creature, half lion and half eagle. The hippogriff was actually, therefore, a one-quarter eagle, which is two dollars and fifty cents in gold. The study of zoology is full of surprises.
- Ambrose Bierce
Old September 20th, 2006, 1:53 am
Third Year

I have a hard time imagining Snape taking pity on anyone. I also can not picture Lily ever being interested in him. Snape's relationship with Narcissa seems to simply come from his friendship with Lucius, if that can be called a friendship. Maybe more like fellow death eater-ship. It is interesting that they both managed to slip through the cracks of Azkaban after the first downfall.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies