Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

What is the link between Snape and Narcissa?

Old September 20th, 2006, 4:55 am
BANNED... No really they are...

Re: What is the link between Snape and Narcissa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancila View Post
What caused Snape to make a unbreakable vow with her? It seems clear to me that Snape made the vow with Narcissa for her sake and not because he cared for Draco.
I think he made the UV not so much for love, but because he saw how distressed she was. She was crying, and in his cold heart, he felt sorry for her and decided to help her. Snape is not a complete villain. I'm pretty sure his heart has been vulnerable a couple of times. In HBP, when Harry called him a coward, he seemed pretty upset over it and maybe even embarrassed and ashamed. That shows me that his heart is not completely stone. I think he cares a little bit about Draco. He's always been his favorite student, so I can't see why he wouldn't want to help him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambulance View Post
But there's also the fact that Snape had a closer tie to Malfoy than anyone else. He was his Head of House and could have come up with excuses to be around Malfoy that didn't look suspicious than if one of the Death Eaters made it and decided to stop by Hogwarts once a week. Yeah, not likely.
I agree. This seems the most likely possibility. It wouldn't have been too much trouble for Snape to check up on Draco while in school.

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2006, 12:40 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally posted by owlpostgirl
perhaps sometimes Snape and Narcissa sat around the Slytherin common room and trashed Sirius.
I like this idea!
Snape's Worst memory seems to suggest that Snape was a bit of a loner at school, so I expect if he did love Narcissa it was from afar. I think he is probably friendly with her - why else did he agree to the vow? Perhaps Snape always loved Narcissa but she didn't love him until Lucius got sent to Azkaban and she had no-one else to turn to. Then she started to see Snape in a better light. However I don't think she's going to survive much longer as Draco didn't kill DD.

Old September 21st, 2006, 10:31 pm
Second Year

I don't see the Snape loves Narcissa, or even the other way around. They are both Slytherins through and through. Narcissa went to Snape because he is Lucius' friend, a powerful wizard, with connections at Hogwarts. Narcissa was taking the only chance she saw in saving her son. Lucius is in prison and has very little influence now, so she must go to the only person who has any chance of helping her. Narcissa is out to protect herself and her son. Snape on the other hand is confronted with a very suspicious Belatrix. If he does not make the vow, Belatrix will be on the hunt to discredit Snape. I also believe that Snape is possibly trying to set himself up for the future. No matter which way his loyalties lay, he is trying to get in good with one of the most powerful and wealthy families he has a connection with. If he saves Draco, Narcissa is in debt to him. So, if Voldemort is triumphant then Snape has some good support in the Death Eater order. If Voldemort is defeated and Snape is on the bad side, he still has a powerful family that will protect him and he possibly could be a second father to Draco with Lucius in prison. The same if he is on the good side, he still has the good graces of a wealthy and powerful family. Snape wins on all accounts and does not have to worry about Belatrix causing him problems.

Mercer,
Elf of Old

Old September 23rd, 2006, 3:01 am
First Year

I've always thought this, from the moment I read about the unbreakable vow! I'm so glad people fianlly share my thoughts! Theres more clues and hints to Snape loving/liking Narcissa then there are to him loving/liking Lilly. Thank you Thank for posting this!

Old November 27th, 2006, 12:58 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselkneazle View Post
I have a crazy theory

I think Snape and Narcissa once loved each other and Draco is Snape's son.

JKR said that Snape does not have a daughter, but she did not say that he does not have a child. So Snape must have a son and Draco is the most obvious choice for that (to me atleast).

JKR also said that Snape was loved once and who else could love him?
good idea,but i thought snape loved lily and thats why he hated james

Wand-15",Gaboon Ebony,Bloodwood,& Lignum Vitae,Rigid,Phoenix Ash & Phoenix Tear Core

Broomstick-Scarlet Phoenix

Animagus-African Lion

Patronus-Red Dragon

Durmstrang Institute of Magical Inquiry-Dracheseith House:Powerful,Wise,Crazy,and,Secretive

Magical Pets-Pursequor and Gaudium

I,Erus Omnipotens,The Shadow Lord,Am The Next Great And Powerful Wizard Of All Time
Old February 13th, 2007, 1:20 am
Fifth Year

She knew him from being in Slytherin House, but she was probably too much of a snob to be associated with him until she needed his help with Draco.

Old February 13th, 2007, 1:42 am
First Year

I think that the fact that Narcissa went to Snape for help with Draco just shows how desperate she was to save her son. Draco is her pride and joy, and the thought of him being killed would have pushed her to measures she may not normally take. The fact that she goes to Snape and not another Death Eater is probably because Snape has the easiest access to both him and Dumbledore. He also was trusted by Dumbledore, which in Narcissa's mind, puts him in an advantageous position for helping Draco. I think the fact that he agrees to the Unbreakable Vow has to do with the fact that Bellatrix was there, and had already been questioning his loyalties, so if he'd said no, it would have just made her more suspicious.

Old February 13th, 2007, 4:29 am
First Year

Who else could Narcissa possibly go to? Even if there was another Death Eater out there with the faintest potential to do her a favour (fat chance), he or she would have no access to Draco or Dumbledore. Snape happens to be in the right position, and it certainly doesn't hurt that Draco looks up to him. Or looked.

Why did Snape agree? Some of it I believe is pity. He puts on a good show of being cold and uncaring, but there has to be some compassion in there somewhere. He's got a woman crying over her only son, who he just so happens to care about a touch himself. I see the Snape loved Lily theory is unpopular here, but could this be some atonement? If he rescues Narcissa's son, is he making up for betraying Lily's son so many years ago?

Snape also says, "He [Voldemort] intends me to do it in the end, I think." Why delay the inevitable? He knows Draco has no chance of defeating Dumbledore, so whether or not he makes the Vow, Voldemort's going to expect him to kill Dumbledore anyway. And really, Snape took the only logical path. If he broke the Vow, he'd have died. If he'd never made the Vow but then defied Voldemort by not killing Dumbledore, Voldemort would have killed him. It's a lose-lose situation.

I also got the impression that Snape was agreeing to the Unbreakable Vow to put Bellatrix in her place. He was really good at making excuses for all the other things she accused him of, but she'd never have shut her trap if he refused to take the Vow.

I really don't see Snape having feelings for Narcissa aside from pity. Putting aside that they were years apart in age and that Narcissa would face exile from the Black family if she married a half-blood, I don't think there's enough canon to support or even suggest any romantic entanglement there. As for Snape being Draco's father, no. way.

Old March 17th, 2007, 5:02 am
Second Year

Snape is totally in love with Narcissa.

When he took the unbreakable vow, his hand "shuddered" when Narcissa touched it. We were meant to think it was because of the enormity of making an unbreakable vow, but we will learn in book 7 that it is something more.

When JKR threw in a line about Snape having a daughter (I think it was in the Quibbler or something?) that was foreshadowing for Snape and Narcissa getting married and having a daughter together.

She is the only reason he has been favoring Draco all these years.

Old March 17th, 2007, 7:54 am
First Year

ibelive that there are in the same like brother and sister but this is just my opion on this that all .what do you think about this

Old March 17th, 2007, 9:27 am
Zonko's Employee

Actually, I like this!

It fits in with Jo's quotes as well. Maybe she didn't answer about romantic feelings from Snape because the answer was that he had these feelings for Narcissa. He's kind to her and treats Draco like a son. Who would want Snape in love with them? A death eater and loyal supporter of Voldemort, of course. Potential clues, staring us right in the face all along, hidden behind a red herring.

Cool!

Old March 17th, 2007, 9:42 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinoema View Post
Actually, I like this!

It fits in with Jo's quotes as well. Maybe she didn't answer about romantic feelings from Snape because the answer was that he had these feelings for Narcissa. He's kind to her and treats Draco like a son. Who would want Snape in love with them? A death eater and loyal supporter of Voldemort, of course. Potential clues, staring us right in the face all along, hidden behind a red herring.

Cool!
That's a good point. Narcissa and Draco are the only people that Snape has shown any kindness to. He's not snarky with them and he actually treats Draco better than Lucius does. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone else that Snape has shown that he cares about them other than Narcissa and Draco.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old March 17th, 2007, 9:52 am
Sixth Year

I think that this idea has merit. If we look at Snape's interactions with Narcissa, it's completely different from those with any other character. There's none of his trademark sarcasm, but something we've never seen before - concern. When she's reduced to tears, Snape cannot bear to watch, and turns away. Of course, it's nothing blatant, and Snape does make an effort to appear unaffected in front of Bellatrix, but it is evident that he is deeply affected by Narcissa. When she breaks down completely, he's the one who steadies her, and consoles her.

It's also evident from his treatment of Draco. He watches over Draco throughout his Hogwarts years, and even whe Draco turns on him at the party, he's patient and understanding.

Society for Protection of Canon Snape
Society of Nutters Obsessed with Ginny
Snape's Not Alan Rickman Club
Admitting I Could Be Wrong Club
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:52 pm
Fifth Year

I just think that Snape is just great friends with Lucius his death eater buddy. He has spent time at their home and knows the entire family well. When Narcissa came to him for help, he was just helping out a friend.

Tarot Cards for Fun and Fortune Telling

Someone who spoiled Deathly Hallows

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old March 17th, 2007, 1:49 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by taupimu
I just think that Snape is just great friends with Lucius his death eater buddy. He has spent time at their home and knows the entire family well. When Narcissa came to him for help, he was just helping out a friend.
That's possible, but so is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971
That's a good point. Narcissa and Draco are the only people that Snape has shown any kindness to. He's not snarky with them and he actually treats Draco better than Lucius does. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone else that Snape has shown that he cares about them other than Narcissa and Draco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk
I think that this idea has merit. If we look at Snape's interactions with Narcissa, it's completely different from those with any other character. There's none of his trademark sarcasm, but something we've never seen before - concern. When she's reduced to tears, Snape cannot bear to watch, and turns away. Of course, it's nothing blatant, and Snape does make an effort to appear unaffected in front of Bellatrix, but it is evident that he is deeply affected by Narcissa. When she breaks down completely, he's the one who steadies her, and consoles her.

It's also evident from his treatment of Draco. He watches over Draco throughout his Hogwarts years, and even whe Draco turns on him at the party, he's patient and understanding.
...so is this. Draco is his favorite student, and Snape cares for him. However, I can't really tell which it is because I don't think we've seen enough of Snape and Narcissa and them in DE parading stuff, vs. other DEs parading together like this, away from Voldy. I can't really say anything, because I don't think I have enough info.

Just rereading, half of the stuff I said appears confusing, so maybe I shouldn't draw too many conclusions yet. Is this confusing?

Old March 18th, 2007, 1:36 am
Fifth Year

He does seem to care more for the Malfoy family than anyone else in his life. But I wonder if it is to his benefit some how.

Tarot Cards for Fun and Fortune Telling

Someone who spoiled Deathly Hallows

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:52 am
Second Year

There does seem to have been some kind of friendship between the Malfoys and Snape. We have only heard about it when it's discussed by Harry or someone else who's not fond of Snape. But I always assumed that Snape and Lucius was friends (or they had mutual hobbies in school), and due to this reason, Snape seems to favor Draco during the earlier years (not so much in OotP and HBP).

And Narcissa clearly acts (though it could be sheer desperation) like if Snape is a close friend, or atleast an ally to the family. He is clearly someone she trusts (enough to demand an unbreakable of him ) with the safety of her son, not that she have any other teachers at Hogwarts in her personal social circle. She seems to trust and rely on him with Lucius gone.

Old March 18th, 2007, 8:20 pm
Fourth Year

I don't think Snape is in love with her, I think he just pities her. As for Narcissa loving Snape...I don't think she loves him either, actually. She was desperate to help her son and her family, and Snape is intellegent enough to be able to help her, not to mention he's one of Draco's teachers, so it would be easier to keep an eye on Draco rather than any other Death Eater she knows.
So I think that they're just friends.

Old March 20th, 2007, 5:42 pm
First Year

There is no cannon to support that Snape and Lilly had a relationship at all, but it is clear from OOTP that Snape and Narcissa had a friendly relationship. I personally see zero evidence of a romance, but they appear to be good friends. I would love to hear this other theory about Snape and Draco being the same person. How can the be in the same room together? Confusing.

Old March 20th, 2007, 5:47 pm
First Year

I suppose it's possible that they were contemporarys, but to suggest romance seems a bit of a stretch. I mean, they are all Death Eaters, and thus allies. Somehow, I don't like the idea of Snape opening up--it's not him. If anything, she had/had feelings toward him.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies