Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Peter Pettigrew: Character Analysis

Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:23 pm
MODLY CREW

Peter Pettigrew: Character Analysis

Peter is the least likable Marauder but he is important nonetheless. Without him, Voldemort would not have known where the Potters lived. I always wondered what made Peter betray his friends and especially James, who he practically worshipped. We do not know a lot about Peter, except that he is being constantly underestimated and humiliated by everyone. There is a lot to discuss and analyse.
  • What is Peterís background? Is he a Half-blood, Muggle-born or pure-blood? If he was Muggle-born, could this be the paradox reason for his betrayal?
  • Wormtail owes Harry his life. What importance will the life debt have in book seven?
  • Peter has a silver hand. Can he still transform into a rat and if yes, does the rat have a silver paw?
  • Will Wormtail fight against Remus Lupin? Remember, there will be no death by poking!
  • What is the significance of Wormtailís presence in Spinnerís End? Does he spy on Snape?
  • Has Peter developed throughout the series? If Wormtail liked the choices he made, why did he bite Goyle on the Hogwarts Express?
  • What can we expect from Peter? Will he change sides once more?
  • What was/is Peterís relationship to James Potter/Sirius Black/Lily Evans/Severus Snape/Voldemort/other Death Eaters/the Weasleys/Harry Potter?
  • Why did Wormtail stay with the Weasleys and didn't leave the country?

Please remember that this is a discussion thread. All criticism should be constructive. You can say "Peter made a mistake when he did such and such." but not "Peter is a cowardly and talentless loser". Posts that are considered bashing may be deleted by staff.

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2006, 2:28 pm
Second Year

Re: Peter Pettigrew: Character Analysis

Quote:
We do not know a lot about Peter, except that he is being constantly underestimated and humiliated by everyone.
I agree. He is underestimated quite a lot by the marauders, Voldemort and his deatheaters. In PoA, when Peter was first mentioned, we were shown how similar he was to Neville. I started sympathizing with the presumably dead Peter. Then his betrayal was mentioned and then I thought of him as someone who hadnt made right choices in his life. But I believe that Wormtail has developed a bit over the series and I will address that in the questions.

What is Peterís background? Is he a Half-blood, Muggle-born or pure-blood? If he was Muggle-born, could this be the paradox reason for his betrayal?

He is most probably a half-blood, like Severus Snape. He has managed to remain a death eater and we know that Voldemort despises muggles and muggle-borns. And doesnt Voldemort seem like the kind of dark leader who would want to know the blood status of his followers? Thats just what I think.

Wormtail owes Harry his life. What importance will the life debt have in book seven?

It would be quite important. When Dumbledore mentioned this life-debt in PoA, I hoped that Wormtail would fulfill this debt sooner, maybe in GoF when he was gathering bones and blood and whatnot. But Wormtail didnt stop following Voldemort's orders in GoF and we have seen him being ordered to stay at Spinners end and he did it. Maybe something would happen in Book 7 that would make Wormtail show his true Gryffindorian colours and he would pay his life-debt to Harry.

Has Peter developed throughout the series? If Wormtail liked the choices he made, why did he bite Goyle on the Hogwarts Express?

Perhaps he has become somewhat loyal to the Weasley family after staying with them for 12 years? It seems so. And even in GoF, he was trying to persuade Voldemort to get someone other than Harry to get the blood to regain his body. Persuading Voldemort may be very difficult but atleast he tried. So yes, he has developed a little bit.

Why did Wormtail stay with the Weasleys and didn't leave the country?

I believe it was mentioned in PoA (dont have the books handy for exact quote) that Peter stayed with the Weasleys , who are a wizarding family, to keep an eye on news about Voldemort.

I still dont understand why Peter was a Marauder or what James/Sirius/Remus saw in him to make him their close friend. Whats also strange is why Lily/James/Sirius decided to choose Peter over Remus to make him a secret keeper, when Remus seemed more reliable (why consider Remus a spy?). But Peter was chosen by the sorting hat to be a Gryffindor, and Book 7 is where he would probably prove it.

Last edited by Hermy_007; October 13th, 2006 at 2:47 pm.
Old October 14th, 2006, 3:44 pm
Trelawney's Apprentice

What is Peterís background? Is he a Half-blood, Muggle-born or pure-blood? If he was Muggle-born, could this be the paradox reason for his betrayal?

It's most likely that Peter is a half-blood because if he was a muggleborn he would have never been able to become a Death Eater, and if he was a pureblood we should have seen his family name on the Black family tree right?

Wormtail owes Harry his life. What importance will the life debt have in book seven?

Life-debts and vows and such seem to play a very important role in the wizarding world. I believe that yes, it will definitely come into play. However, it's going to take Peter loads of courage to be able to stand up for Harry or whatever he has to do to save him. Because this'll go against everything that Pettigrew knows, and that's to stick with the strongest.

Peter has a silver hand. Can he still transform into a rat and if yes, does the rat have a silver paw?

Hm...that's really interesting. I don't see any reason for Peter not to be able to transform into a rat, it may prove useful to Voldemort, you never know. However, there's always the chance that Voldemort hindered his power in someway due to the removal of his wand hand.

If he could transform, why didn't he at Snape's house when trying to eavesdrop? It would have made it easier no?...something to think about inded.

As for if he has a silver paw or not, it depends on what the rules are for the markings on an Animagus. For example...would McGonagall's markings change if she got contact lenses? Or Rita?

What exactly was Peter's marking? I though it might be the lack of finger, but that didn't happen until years later...

Will Wormtail fight against Remus Lupin? Remember, there will be no death by poking!

I never got the feeling that there would be anymore "facing-off" between them after PoA.

But maybe Peter has to stand up to Fenrir in Harry's defense because of the life-debt? Or did JK say that he wouldn't use his silver hand to kill any werewolf??

What is the significance of Wormtailís presence in Spinnerís End? Does he spy on Snape?

I had figured they just stored him there. But what did he do all year long in OotP when Snape was at school? that's another thing to ponder.

Has Peter developed throughout the series? If Wormtail liked the choices he made, why did he bite Goyle on the Hogwarts Express?

I feel that Peter's philosophy on life is about sticking with whoever is strongest. We see it in his childhood when he tags around with the Marauder's who were obviously the strongest and most popular group at Hogwarts, then again, as Voldemort grows stronger, Peter jumps ship and joins the Death Eaters. Someone like that is hard to change.

Maybe he bit Goyle on the finger because he didn't want the compartment to be upset by a fight in which he might get dropped or stepped on. It also could have just been a device used to draw attention to Scabbers in PoA so that we were more aware of him, as well as to make Ron a bit more defensive against his pet.

What can we expect from Peter? Will he change sides once more?

It really would depend on who he thinks is the strongest. If he thinks that Harry and the Order of the Phoenix have a more obvious chance of winning, I think we can see another switch from Peter. However, at the moment, Harry's chances don't look so hot - so I feel Peter is staying just where he is for the time being.

What was/is Peterís relationship to James Potter/Sirius Black/Lily Evans/Severus Snape/Voldemort/other Death Eaters/the Weasleys/Harry Potter?

Like I said earlier, he attaches himself to whoever seems to have the most power at the time...the Marauders when he was in school. Voldemort and the Death Eaters during VWI and Harry during the scene in the Shrieking Shack.

Same reason Lucius didn't search actively for Voldemort, why the rest of the DE's fell back into there routine. What else was there for him to do but keep a weather-eye open?

Old October 14th, 2006, 10:47 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madron View Post
[*]What is Peterís background? Is he a Half-blood, Muggle-born or pure-blood? If he was Muggle-born, could this be the paradox reason for his betrayal?
Why thank you, Madron! Question one is a perfect segue to my personal Peter theory.

I am convinced that Peter was a Muggle-born. For many, many reasons. One, he rounds out the Marauders-he is the only one whose blood status is still unknown (James and Sirius were purebloods, Remus a half-blood).

Two, I think it explains why noone suspected him as a spy in the first war. Not because he was such a no-talent, worthless wizard (which, by the way, I absolutely DO NOT believe, for reasons I will save for a later post). But because, obviously, Peter could not be a Death Eater. I mean, who would expect Voldemort to recruit a Muggle-born, and why would a Muggle-born join?

However, Rowling has said that under very special circumstances, a Muggle-born could be a Death Eater. I think being a best friend of the Prophecy Boy's parents qualifies. Voldemort is not ideological-he'll use whatever tools come to hand to achieve his ends. (Hey, the Sorting Hat says so...)

Three, the mysterious curse which enabled Peter to kill 12 Muggles. The Muggle authorities classed the incident as a gas main explosion. I think perhaps both the MoM and the Muggle authorities are right. Peter exploited his understanding of Muggle technology to set of the gas main explosion with magic. We have certainly met no curses to date which have as their primary effect, large-scale killing.

Four, I think it fits Peter's behavior with the Marauders in the Snape's Worst Memory scene. He puts up with quite a bit of insulting remarks from his cooler friends. I think Peter's natural timidity was exacerbated by the fact that he was entering a brand new and unfamiliar world in Hogwarts, and he was willing to put up with a lot to stay 'in' with friends who gave him an 'in' to this new world.

ďDeath is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.Ē-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old October 16th, 2006, 1:42 am
Second Year

What is Peter’s background? Is he a Half-blood, Muggle-born or pure-blood? If he was Muggle-born, could this be the paradox reason for his betrayal?
I think this is an interesting question. I was going to agree with others who posted and say a half-blood, but zgirnius made some really interesting points that I hadn't considered before. So I would say either a half-blood or a muggleborn.

I think it will be important. In fact, I think that we saw a little bit of the importance in GoF when Peter was suggesting that Voldemort use someone else as the source for the blood rather than Harry. The question would be why he was doing it. Is a life debt similar to the oath Snape swore in HBP? Would it force Peter to jump in harm's way to save Harry's life, should the occasion arise where he is present? Or, if Harry dies, will it have repercussions on Wormtail? If it does, that might leave it open to the interpretation that Peter was just trying to save his own skin by saving Harry's, or it could have a more noble reason behind it.

Peter has a silver hand. Can he still transform into a rat and if yes, does the rat have a silver paw?
I don't think that would have any effect. It might have a silver paw, or a lighter, silver-colored paw in the same way that Mcgonagall's animagus has the markings of spectacles around its eyes.

Wormtail fight against Remus Lupin? Remember, there will be no death by poking!
I don't know. I think Remus would find it very difficult in the end to kill Peter, but as we saw in PoA, he might very well be capable; after all, he and Sirius were on the verge of doing so before Harry stepped in and stopped them.

What is the significance of Wormtail’s presence in Spinner’s End? Does he spy on Snape?
I think it's quite possible that Voldemort sent him to keep an eye on Snape and his activities. I get the feeling that Voldemort (like Bellatrix), does not entirely trust Snape's motivations, and thus sending Peter to see what he's up to and report back would make sense. After all, Snape would probably consider him too much of an imbecile to really be any kind of threat.
Has
I think we have seen more of him through the series. After all in PoA, we first saw him as a hapless victim, then a cold-blooded traitor, then a coward, an unhappy servant of Voldemort, and an eager-to-please schoolboy. I think it's not so much seeing his character change as having more of it unfolded to us. I think he bit Goyle because he does not like the Death Eaters. My guess is he knew Goyle's father, saw the same behavior in Goyle and saw a chance for revenge. In GoF, there is a brief mention of Peter having a look of revulsion on his face when he sees or speaks to Voldemort which I think is very telling. I think it's more fear that motivates him to continue in Voldemort's service. Also, I would guess that Peter does have some warm feelings towards the Weasley's, since they did care for him for twelve years.

I think it's possible that he could switch sides again. He clearly does not enjoy being in Voldemort's service, but the question is, will he have the courage to do so? Also, if the life debt does require that he save Harry's life or there will be repercussions on his own, he might switch sides for his own gain.

What was/is Peter’s relationship to James Potter/Sirius Black/Lily Evans/Severus Snape/Voldemort/other Death Eaters/the Weasleys/Harry Potter?
I think Peter admired James and Sirius and was intensely jealous of both of them. It's possible he also might have had a bit of a crush on Lily, contributing to his jealousy of James. I think he is resentful of Snape because Snape treats him with such disdain. He seems to hate Voldemort and his Death Eaters and what they do, and he resents them as he does Snape, but he's too terrified of them to leave. I think he does feel a certain amount of reflection for the Weasley's because they took him in and cared for him in one of his most desperate moments. He probably views Harry with some resentment because he was the one who exposed him and now he's indebted to Harry, which could cause problems for him in the future.

I think he stayed with them because they were kind. He's also a bit of a coward, so I think he was afraid to try and flee the country and start a whole new life in a completely foreign place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy_007 View Post
I still dont understand why Peter was a Marauder or what James/Sirius/Remus saw in him to make him their close friend. Whats also strange is why Lily/James/Sirius decided to choose Peter over Remus to make him a secret keeper, when Remus seemed more reliable (why consider Remus a spy?). But Peter was chosen by the sorting hat to be a Gryffindor, and Book 7 is where he would probably prove it.
I think that perhaps what partly influenced James and Sirius is the love of a willing audience. As much as I like both of them, they were a little fond of themselves by their own (and others') admissions. Peter was incredibly impressed by them and easily biddable. Also, there could have been much more to him when he was younger. The Sorting Hat must have had a reason for placing him in Gryffindor as it did, which suggests that perhaps he might have been very different in his school days. I think Lily and James probably chose him for their Secret Keeper for the reason Sirius stated in PoA; they thought Voldemort would never want to recruit him because he was so bumbling. Also, if zgirnius' theory is true, they might have thought Voldemort would avoid him because he was a muggleborn. Remus was intelligent and talented, and I believe it is mentioned that Voldemort particularly tried to recruit werewolves by railing against the prejudice they faced with other wizards. They probably thought that if Voldemort was going to try and recruit any of the Marauders, he would chose Remus as the most likely candidate.

~Phoenix

Old October 16th, 2006, 3:46 am
Fifth Year

[*]What is Peterís background? Is he a Half-blood, Muggle-born or pure-blood? If he was Muggle-born, could this be the paradox reason for his betrayal?

I think it is very likely that Peter is a Muggle-born or half-blood. This relates a lot to his betrayal, indeed. Peter, to me, always came off as the "follower" among the Marauders - he never was truly a friend, it seems. I've seen this so many times in the Muggle world - a genuine outsider who rides on the coattails of the popular kids. Wormtail fit in with the Marauders because he was able to become an Animagus, I believe. In Snape's Worst Memory, he doesn't laugh at Lupin's joke about question #10 on the DADA exam, and James and Sirius are shown bullying him.

So what does this have to do with Wormtail's parentage? Well, in that scene, it is shown that Wormtail greatly admired James - "...put that thing away before Wormtail wets himself with excitement" -Sirius - and he just stands back with Lupin as Sirius and James have fun bullying Snape. I don't think Peter was as talented as the rest of the Marauders at the time, or he didn't feel he got enough recognition. Among Lupin, Sirius and James, Lupin is the only half-blood, but he is also the only one of the Marauders who doesn't like to show off as much. It is likely Wormtail never knew Lupin was a half-blood, and this led him into a delusion that he got less attention because he wasn't pure-blood. If not, then Wormtail would certainly appeal to Voldemort for recruitment - an unregistered Animagi, a talented wizard, a troublemaker and a member of the Order - and he would have been easy to bend to Voldemort's will through the pure-blood delusion.

[*]Wormtail owes Harry his life. What importance will the life debt have in book seven?

Well, it seems quite obvious to me that Wormtail has to save Harry at one point. JKR wouldn't introduce such a powerful and complex concept as a life-debt if it wasn't to play a role in the future. I believe Wormtail will save Harry, but be killed by Voldemort shortly after. But I can't be sure as to whether or not Wormtail will defect back to the Order - remember Wormtail's argument with Voldemort over whether or not to use Harry to revive himself. To me, it is strongly intimated in this argument "why do we have to use Harry Potter" that Wormtail is still somewhat grateful. Remember, he returned to Voldemort out of fear, not loyalty.
[*]Peter has a silver hand. Can he still transform into a rat and if yes, does the rat have a silver paw?

Well, when he was Scabbers, he had a toe (finger) missing. We know, of course, that this finger is missing because he cut it off to fake his own death. I think it's also safe to presume that Wormtail healed his hand after via magical means. His silver hand, of course, is entirely magical. Therefore, I do think he can transform into a rat albeit with a silver paw.

However, his Animagus form isn't as useful now - I think a silver paw is more suspicious than a missing toe.

[*]Will Wormtail fight against Remus Lupin? Remember, there will be no death by poking!

I'm going to answer simply: No.
[*]What is the significance of Wormtailís presence in Spinnerís End? Does he spy on Snape?

This is most curious. If Snape is, in fact, Voldemort's most trusted advisor, then why does he place Peter in his house? Snape says that the Dark Lord placed him there to assist him. But what "assistance" does Snape need? Snape does note that Wormtail is prone to listening at doors...this can only mean spying, why else would he listen at doors?
[*]Has Peter developed throughout the series? If Wormtail liked the choices he made, why did he bite Goyle on the Hogwarts Express?

Wormtail never imagined that he would be caught. Remember, during his 12 years of exile as a rat, he was loyal to nobody, and tried his hardest to conceal his identity. He returned to Voldemort only out of fear - as Voldemort says "forced out of hiding by those he had once counted friends". He bited Goyle just to further conceal his identity from Harry and Ron, I believe.
[*]What can we expect from Peter? Will he change sides once more?

See question 2.
[*]What was/is Peterís relationship to James Potter/Sirius Black/Lily Evans/Severus Snape/Voldemort/other Death Eaters/the Weasleys/Harry Potter?

See question 1.
[*]Why did Wormtail stay with the Weasleys and didn't leave the country?

Because they never suspected him. It was a perfect cover. I don't think the Weasleys were in the original Order...they couldn't have known his Animagus form, even if they did, how could they possibly suspect that Scabbers, of all the millions of rats, was Peter?

Old October 16th, 2006, 8:17 am
Second Year

My analysis: Peter Pettigrew is an interesting case. He is not a leader, and he resents the fact that he has always been a follower. Maybe he was jealous of Sirius and James so he didn't feel too bad about selling the Potters out to Voldemort and framing Sirius for it. This character is an enigma to me because I can see his motivations but I just don't understand how he can live with himself. Because of this I don't see how he will repay that life debt to Harry. He is just too selfish so I can't see it happening.

I too like zgirnius's idea that Peter could be a muggle-born. I had never considered this.
[*]Wormtail owes Harry his life. What importance will the life debt have in book seven?

Hopefully the life debt will come into play in the last book. It seems pretty hopeless to me though because it would go entirely against his character for me. On the other hand: what's the use of introducing it if it doesn't?
[*]What is the significance of Wormtailís presence in Spinnerís End? Does he spy on Snape?

It says that Voldemort doesn't completely trust Severus imo. Snape is aware that Wormtail spies on him and I don't think he is surprised about it either.
[*]Has Peter developed throughout the series?

As others have said, he is entirely out to save his own skin. In a way he is a deplorable coward, and on the other hand you have to have guts to do some of the horrible things he's done to innocent people.
[*]What can we expect from Peter? Will he change sides once more?

He will be on whatever side that will guarantee him protection. He is selfish in that way.
[*]What was/is Peterís relationship to
James Potter/Sirius Black
He was the simpering sidekick they always underestimated. It seems they never really knew him. They were using one another and can't be said to be truly friends.
/Lily Evans
I don't know that they had a relationship other than she was very trusting and willing to give people the benefit of the doubt. She trusted her husbands friendship of him.
/Severus Snape
They can't be said to like eachother too much. Peter was part of the posse that tortured Snape in school. Fellow Death Eaters and he is Snape's "assistant" at Spinner's End.
/Voldemort
He is terrified of Voldemort, and only sticks with him to save himself. He isn't loyal to him or his cause in particular.
/other Death Eaters
Other Death Eaters probably underestimate him the same way the marauders did. He isn't seen as being a high ranking Death Eater they should respect.
/the Weasleys
He may be indifferent to them. I find the whole concept of him being one of their pets distasteful. It would make me sick knowing that my pet rat was a murderer. Anyway, I don't know exactly how he feels about any of them, but I would be curious to know the answer to this one from JKR.
/Harry Potter?
He's probably not afraid of Harry as of right now. He has the life debt to consider so that should make him think of him more than he would if it wasn't there.
[*]Why did Wormtail stay with the Weasleys and didn't leave the country?
I can't figure out why he stayed with them as long as he did. I guess he liked the lifestyle they provided and he doesn't mind staying as a rat for years and years.

Old October 16th, 2006, 9:10 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
Why thank you, Madron! Question one is a perfect segue to my personal Peter theory.

I am convinced that Peter was a Muggle-born. For many, many reasons. One, he rounds out the Marauders-he is the only one whose blood status is still unknown (James and Sirius were purebloods, Remus a half-blood).

Two, I think it explains why noone suspected him as a spy in the first war. Not because he was such a no-talent, worthless wizard (which, by the way, I absolutely DO NOT believe, for reasons I will save for a later post). But because, obviously, Peter could not be a Death Eater. I mean, who would expect Voldemort to recruit a Muggle-born, and why would a Muggle-born join?

However, Rowling has said that under very special circumstances, a Muggle-born could be a Death Eater. I think being a best friend of the Prophecy Boy's parents qualifies. Voldemort is not ideological-he'll use whatever tools come to hand to achieve his ends. (Hey, the Sorting Hat says so...)

Three, the mysterious curse which enabled Peter to kill 12 Muggles. The Muggle authorities classed the incident as a gas main explosion. I think perhaps both the MoM and the Muggle authorities are right. Peter exploited his understanding of Muggle technology to set of the gas main explosion with magic. We have certainly met no curses to date which have as their primary effect, large-scale killing.

Four, I think it fits Peter's behavior with the Marauders in the Snape's Worst Memory scene. He puts up with quite a bit of insulting remarks from his cooler friends. I think Peter's natural timidity was exacerbated by the fact that he was entering a brand new and unfamiliar world in Hogwarts, and he was willing to put up with a lot to stay 'in' with friends who gave him an 'in' to this new world.
Very good points! I brought up this question because I thought a lot about Peter's background. Being a Muggle-born wizard he would have been more of a target than any of his friends (except Lily of course). It seems plausible that Peter was very afraid to die and, lacking the courage of his friends, he probably offered his help to the most powerful wizard he knew. It was not Dumbledore because we know through Remus that the Order was losing and that they fought 20:1. Peter had to offer a lot, since he was so very close to the Potters. I never thought about Peter using magic and technology to kill all these people but it's an interesting theory.

Old October 18th, 2006, 9:55 pm
Fourth Year

We have heard very little about peter before he betrayed james and lily ot voldemort, except that he was their friend and for some reason, decided to choose voldemort over his friends? WHY?
i mean, when it coems down to it....why did he betray them? why was he made a gryffidnor? he must be brave in coem way..the sorting hat just doesn't make mistakes! he was best friends with james for 7 years....surely they would have 'sussed' him?

al i can say is that i wil hav eto wait and seee. he can't have been as nasty or weird as he is in so many marauder fanfictions, becuse if so..why was he a marauder for al that time? james and sisirus aren' stupid..neither is remus for that matter! surely they'd have noticed?

Old October 21st, 2006, 12:12 am
I want to believe

What is Peter’s background? Is he a Half-blood, Muggle-born or pure-blood? If he was Muggle-born, could this be the paradox reason for his betrayal?
I really like zgirnius’ theory about Peter being a Muggle-born - great points, especially the point about Peter exploiting Muggle technology in blowing up the gas mein. I’m not sure if Peter being Muggle-born would have anything to do with his betrayal of James and Lily though.

I believe Wormtail will end up saving Harry’s life at some point in book 7, probably at the end. This life-saving could be either intentional or unintentional, but I believe it has to happen because I always thought the life debt was similar to a binding magical contract that must be fulfilled. Thus I feel the life debt will be important in book 7 in that it might save Harry from a situation that he’d normally die in if it weren’t for the life debt.

I’ve wondered about this. It would be interesting if the silver hand prevented Peter from transforming. It probably doesn’t have that effect and Peter’s paw is just silver, but it is an interesting thought.

Will Wormtail fight against Remus Lupin? Remember, there will be no death by poking!
I actually think the conflict will shift more towards Remus vs. Fenrir rather than Remus vs. Peter. Though the conflict does seem a bit unfinished between those two, I think the conclusion of it will be continued through Harry, as I believe he and Harry will have to meet again in order for Peter to fulfill the life debt he owes.

What is the significance of Wormtail’s presence in Spinner’s End? Does he spy on Snape?
I think he may be trying to spy on Snape, but he’s probably not that successful considering Snape is very suspicious of him. I have to wonder what Voldemort’s motives for stationing Wormtail at Spinners’ End. Possibly it could signify that Voldemort is suspicious of Snape.

Starting from the beginning when he was a boy (in SWM), I believe Peter has indeed developed, but in a bad way. From the start, Peter has many traits that probably led to him going down the wrong path, such as an eerie eagerness to see people hurt (as he had a hungry look in his eyes when James was bullying Snape); an aptitude for being a follower of the “biggest bully on the playground” (ie the most popular person with the most power); and a lacking of moral fiber (again in SWM Peter was perfectly happy to see Snape get it from James). Those traits likely dominated to a point where the Death Eaters could successfully ensnare him, and in addition to these traits, he must have developed some resentment against his friends, or else I don’t believe he could have betrayed them no matter how spineless he was. Regarding Wormtail biting Goyle, maybe Goyle was just annoying to him, or maybe he disliked Goyle Sr. It’s kind of similar to Barty as Moody turning Draco into a ferret when he was bothering Harry.

I don’t think he’ll change sides beyond fulfilling his life debt to Harry. I imagine that would entail him helping Harry in some way, either intentionally or unintentionally, as I mentioned above.

What was/is Peter’s relationship to James Potter/Sirius Black/Lily Evans/Severus Snape/Voldemort/other Death Eaters/the Weasleys/Harry Potter?
To Peter, James and Sirius were both people who he hero-worshipped and looked up to. He was always following in their shadows and tagging along, as McGonagall says. Regarding Lily, I’m not sure they ever really had any kind of relationship. I’m sure Lily knew who Peter was, but I didn’t get the impression she paid much attention to him since he was kind of the tag-along. With Snape, I’m sure the animosity that James and Sirius felt was probably there. And during HBP when Peter and Snape were at Spinners’ End, Peter definitely seemed to resent having to be Snape’s “servant”. The other Death Eaters probably regarded Peter with disgust, but also with caution because Voldemort seems to find Wormtail very useful. To the Weasleys, he was Scabbers of course. And with Harry, I do wonder if Peter feels remorse when he looks at Harry, who looks so much like James.

I’d assume it was because he wanted to stay with a wizarding family in Britain where he could easily learn any pertinent news. If he’d left the country he wouldn’t have been able to get news about things in Britain, where I’m assuming Voldemort had his base of operations.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old October 21st, 2006, 12:44 am
Sixth Year

I've always thought Peter was a pure blood, but the possibility of him being Muggle-born makes things much more interesting. As for his reasons for betrayal, I don't believe it had anything to do with his blood status. Since Voldemort was keen on coercion, blackmail and threats to recruit followers he only needed to scare Peter into joining his side.

I agree with RLF that Peter will have a hand in saving Harry's life in the end. Until we know for certain the magical power a life debt has it's hard to say how Peter will repay what he owes to Harry, but I think it will be at a time when Voldemort least expects it. I think the Dark Lord will underestimate Wormtail just like everyone else has.

Old October 21st, 2006, 5:52 am
Seventh Year

My analysis of Peter Pettigrew: I feel that Pettigrew is often underestimated, as much by the fandom as by the characters in the book. While much is made of the fact that he could only become an animagus due to the assistance of Sirius and James, yet how much help could they really give him? He still accomplished becoming an animagus at 15/16 years old. That is quite an accomplishment. He also appears to have conjured a spell powerful enough to kill a bunch of muggles and blast a hole in the street when he framed Sirius. Something brought down the Potters house in Godric's Hollow and Pettigrew escaped that (possibly caused it). He was also able to fool all those people, some of which appear to be fairly astute judges of character (McGonagall and Dumbledore, for instance). His crowning achievement would be the framing of Sirius Black with only a limited amount of time to plan. He's brave enough to cut off his own finger to get it to work, too.

I'm having some trouble trying to figure out how it can. The life debt was in existence during GoF yet Harry could quite well have died in that Cemetery and Pettigrew didn't lift a finger to stop it.

I think he can turn into a rat and that the rat has a silver paw.

I think it is Lupin's fate to fight Greyback, so no, I don't think Wormtail will fight Lupin.

I think so, yes. If you have two people that you feel you can't trust and you know they hate each other, stick them together. For one, they aren't likely to conspire against you with each other. For two, they are more likely to tell you if the other one does something you won't like.

I think that Pettigrew tells himself he made the only choice that made sense at the time. I think he bit Goyle because Goyle was, well, Goyle and because he was disturbing Pettigrew.

I think we can expect him to protect his own backside. I think he will only change sides again if he thinks it will save him.

As Sirius said, Arthur worked for the Ministry. It was a good place to get information.

I guess I just prefer to see the dark side of things. The glass is always half empty. And cracked. And I just cut my lip on it. And chipped a tooth ~ Janeane Garofalo
Old October 26th, 2006, 10:34 am
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
I always wondered what made Peter betray his friends and especially James, who he practically worshiped.
That is the precise reason why he betrayed his friends. He was treated like a non worthy and undeserving person. He was always a victim of Mockery which he had to suffer for his poor display of wizardry at Hogwarts by his friends James and Sirius. This (being mocked by ones friends) always is the triggering point of betrayals. Moreover he like the Goblins felt that he would have more freedom of choice if he joined Voldemort and the Death Eater.

- I am not sure about his ancestry but I am sure it can't have anything to do with his betrayal.

That's a very interesting question, I have never given it a thought. If that would happen then I think his animagus form would be useless because Harry and all would easily recognize him as for the people who don't know about his silver hand would also find it very fishy and suspicious.

What is the significance of Wormtailís presence in Spinnerís End? Does he spy on Snape?
I personally believe that he certainly has some motive behind taking up the job as Snape's assistant. I mean he is clever enough a wizard to have foxed not just James and Sirius but also the whole world by faking his death.

I think he has to do this so as to fulfill Harry's life Debt.

That is an obvious question because he wanted to keep in touch with the Magical World and was waiting for the right time to disclose his identity.

Old October 26th, 2006, 12:13 pm
Eldest Gruff

I think the debt rules and will be seen in 7, but he won't really change the sites again. I don't see him regretting what he has done and so really come back to join the good site (who probably won't forgive him anyway).

But I wonder why he chosed a 'good and bloodtraitor' to live in instead of a family of dark wizards. Maybe there's something more of regret to him as I'm expecting now.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old October 26th, 2006, 3:14 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post

- I am not sure about his ancestry but I am sure it can't have anything to do with his betrayal.
I don't think the implication of the question was intended to be that Muggle-born wizards are more likely to be traitors. But supposing Peter was a Muggle-born, the fact that he was thrust into a completely foreign environment, and one in which some considered him inferior, could have combined with his natural tendencies to seek out protectors, from whom he was willing to take some teasing. The relevance of his blood status could be simply to put him in a situation where the resentment to whcih you refer in the first paragraph would develop and fester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle
But I wonder why he chosed a 'good and bloodtraitor' to live in instead of a family of dark wizards. Maybe there's something more of regret to him as I'm expecting now.
In PoA it seems to be suggested that the people Peter most fears after Godric's Hollow are his fellow Death Eaters. If so, then his choice of the Weasleys may have been motivated by a feeling that they were more 'safe' for him, not out of any regret for his actions.

ďDeath is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.Ē-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old October 31st, 2006, 8:38 pm
First Year

What a list of questions! I'm just finishing PoA (again...) and have some new insights on Mr. Pettigrew. I apologize in advance for lack of page numbers, I'm at work...
Quote:
At first, I thought that he was pure-blood, but now that I think about it, if he is a pure-blood he's VERY distantly related to Sirius ("The pure-blood families are all interrelated." OotP) as he's not on the portion of the Black Family Tree that we're privy too. Now I'm more inclined to think that he's a Muggle-born and that his betrayal has nothing to do with how he feels about blood purity, but hanging with the "biggest bully on the playground." (PoA)
Quote:
I'm pretty certain that Wormtail will meet his maker in 7, either in the final battle or whilst Harry is Horcrux hunting and comes across some DE's. Maybe Wormtail will cause a diversion for Harry to be able to escape and lose his life because of it.
Quote:
Okay now, I'm confused... I thought that the hand was taken away during Priori Incantatem in GoF... I guess Voldy could have replaced it. Anyway, I'm sure that he can still transfigure into a rat but even if he has the hand, I don't think that it would become a paw. So then he'd only have three paws, kinda usless. Besides, his cover is blown, I don't think that he's much use as a rat anymore.
Quote:
Tee hee hee! I don't have an answer to this. It would be great for Lupin to win a fight against Wormtail, but how would Wormtail then be able to repay his life debt to Harry?
Quote:
I'm not sure... I think that he's just as afraid of Snape as he is of Voldy. Maybe he was trying to spy on Snape to get back into Voldy's good graces, but I'm not convinced that he had been ordered to. At this point, I think he's just trying to stay alive and will do anything he is told to do.
Quote:
I think that Peter is just as cowardly now as we hear of him being at school. He just doesn't stick up for himself, or do anything that he wasn't told to do. Why did he bite Goyle? Maybe to get back a Goyle's dad for being a bully out of pure vindictiveness? Who knows...
Quote:
As I said before, his life debt will come into play to help Harry, but I think it will be an 11th hour decision for him.
Quote:
To keep up on what was happening with the wizarding world. I'm certain he would have run off at the first sign of Voldy coming back.

And now, my question to everyone out there: I've never been completely convinced that Peter is a Gryffindor. There is no canon to state that he was in Gryffindor and that the only reason to assume that he was in Gryffindor is because he was friends with James, Sirius, and Remus. What are your thoughts?

all the best,
la femme

Last edited by lafemmenissa; October 31st, 2006 at 10:44 pm.
Old October 31st, 2006, 9:28 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafemmenissa View Post
And now, my question to everyone out there: I've never been completely convinced that Peter is a Gryffindor. There is no canon to state that he was in Gryffindor and that the only reason to assume that he was in Gryffindor is because he was friends with James, Sirius, and Remus. What are your thoughts?
JKR stated in an interview that all the Marauders were indeed in Gryffindor. I don't have time to go looking for it, maybe someone else will quote it.

Old October 31st, 2006, 9:52 pm
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
maybe someone else will quote it
At thy service Madame

JK Rowling's World Book Day Chat,
March 4, 2004
Sirius Riddle: What houses were Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, James Potter and Remus Lupin[sic] in? Everyone tells me they were all Gryffindor, but I won't believe it unless I hear it from Ms. Rowling herself!

JK Rowling says: This is JK herself saying that they were indeed in Gryffindor!

Old October 31st, 2006, 10:47 pm
First Year

Merci beaucoup everyone! I obviously missed that.
Now I'm back to pondering to myself "What the fudge makes Peter a Gryffindor?!?"

all the best,
la femme

Old November 1st, 2006, 9:49 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafemmenissa View Post
Merci beaucoup everyone! I obviously missed that.
Now I'm back to pondering to myself "What the fudge makes Peter a Gryffindor?!?"

all the best,
la femme
There is an entire thread about this question. Why was Peter Pettigrew in Gryffindor?

I think that Peter has probably shown different kinds of bravery over the years and we haven't seen the last of him yet. He may show some bravery in book seven, possibly in regard to the life debt.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies