Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis



 
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:48 pm
RemusLupinFan's Avatar
RemusLupinFan  Female.gif RemusLupinFan is offline
I want to believe
 
Joined: 5755 days
Location: The office in the basement
Posts: 5,897
Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Ever since we met shabby Professor Lupin sleeping on the Hogwarts Express, he's been one of my favorite characters. A man who lives a dual existance not by choice, Lupin is an interesting character to discuss and analyze. He represents a discriminated minority and JKR said the following about him:
HPL"I was also playing with that [intolerance] when I created Professor Lupin, who has a condition which is contagious, of course, and so people are very frightened of him; and I really like Professor Lupin as a character because he's someone that also has a failing, because although he is a wonderful teacher (one I myself would have liked to have had as a teacher) and a wonderful man, he does like to be liked and that's where he slips up. He's been disliked so often that he's always so pleased to have friends, so he cuts them an awful lot of slack."


Some questions to get the ball rolling:
1. Your general thoughts on Lupin as a character? How has he grown, changed and matured throughout the books? What are his strengths and weaknesses? What do we know about his relationships to Sirius Black/Fenrir Greyback/Alastor Moody/James Potter/Lily Evans/Peter Pettigrew/Severus Snape/Harry Potter?

2. What kind of information can Remus give Harry about his parents?

3. Why didn’t Lupin try to contact Harry before PoA?

4. How do you view Lupin and Tonks' relationship? How do you see it progressing in book 7? Will they settle down, get married and have children?

5. What will Lupin's role be in book 7? Will he be able to help Harry at all, and if so, how?

6. What was Lupin’s role in the first war? Did Dumbledore use his special connexions to the werewolves already? What do you believe Lupin's role within the Order will be now that the Order will most likely be reorganized in light of Dumbledore's death?

7. Do you believe we will see Fenrir Greyback and the werewolves return? If so, do you see he and Lupin interacting again? Will Lupin take any part in fighting for the rights of werewolves, and/or will he work to make the werewolves' situation better? Do you think that Remus’ work for the order will change the general attitude towards werewolves?
Please remember that this is a discussion thread. All criticism should be constructive. You can say "Remus made a mistake when he did such and such." but not "Remus is a cold-hearted monster". Posts that are considered bashing may be deleted by staff.


__________________

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old October 12th, 2006, 9:10 pm
LouisaB's Avatar
LouisaB  Female.gif LouisaB is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 5731 days
Posts: 819
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Nice lovely new thread. Here are my answers to the questions posed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
]1. Your general thoughts on Lupin as a character? How has he grown, changed and matured throughout the books? What are his strengths and weaknesses? What do we know about his relationships to Sirius Black/Fenrir Greyback/Alastor Moody/James Potter/Lily Evans/Peter Pettigrew/Severus Snape/Harry Potter?
Lupin is one of my two favourite characters in the books and, like JKR I would have enjoyed having him as a teacher myself.

Our first glimpse of him in the timeline (if not in the books themselves) is in the pensieve during Snape's Worst Memory. The boy we see here has not got the courage to stand up for his friends when they are doing what he knows to be wrong. The Lupin we meet later is far more couragous in this this regard standing up to Sirius in the Shrieking Shack at the end of PoA. The older and wiser Lupin is mature enough to realise that true friends will let their friends stand up to them.

I think that Lupin has also grown into a somewhat bitter man. His lycanthropy means that he is discriminated against and he has no way of being permanently cured and able to move on with his life.

This bitterness seems to be even more evident after he leaves the position of DADA teacher. His comment about his work with the werewolves and being a ready made spy (sorry I don't have the exact quote to hand right now) seemed to highlight the bitterness very well.

I think his rejection of Tonks is another example of this.

I think one of his greatest strengths is his determination to remain on the side of good. I get the impression that most of the werewolves who have been cast out from society are susceptible to the idea of following Fenrir and Voldemort and it could have been very easy for Remus to follow those who would have accepted the wolf in him, even more so than he accepts it himself.

He is also kind and a good teacher.

His first and major weakness, as JKR says herself, is his need to be liked and to cut his friends more slack than he should in order to not risk losing them.

I also think that he is weakening himself by keeping a distance from people who could support him (Tonks being the very obvious example).

I think another weakness is how he treats his lycanthropy. I think that he will have to accept that side of him if he is going to survive the series. If he continues to treat it as a "furry little problem" as James called it, I think it will be his undoing as the more vicious werewolves out there would take advantage of that in order to defeat him.

Relationships:

Sirius Black - I think that as one of his best friends he probably knew Sirius better than most people. I would have been interested to see more interaction after PoA to see if my impression of Remus no longer cutting his friend as much slack now that he has found the courage to stand up to him was correct.

Fenrir Greyback - I think that he probably despises Fenrir because at heart this is what he fears he will become.

Alastor Moody - Tough one to judge. I think he probably has respect for him as he does for all the Order members but haven't really thought about that enough to elaborate further.

James Potter - Obviously they were close friends although I do wonder about the time between their school days and James's death. I wonder what could have happened to make them believe that Remus could have been the traitor and note that unlike Sirius, Remus was absent from the Christening of Harry. I think that perhaps something happened there that we are not aware of yet.

Lily Evans - Another tough one. I do like to think that the additional scene in the movie of PoA will be shown to have some basis in canon later on in the final book. I am not sure if we are allowed to mention the movie here so won't say anything further in case it is a breach of the rules. I think that, like the rest of the marauders, Lily quickly accepted Remus for himself and did not hold the fact that he was a werewolf against him.

Peter Pettigrew - An old friend who turned traitor. I think that at school he probably took no greater notice of Peter than his friends did, and now he regrets that he didn't see sooner that he was the traitor. I think that Remus perhaps feels some guilt over these events and I can see him feeling that it is up to him to set things straight.

Severus Snape - I think that he is indifferent to Snape. He says himself that he neither likes nor dislikes him. I think he did respect him for his work for the Order and that perhaps seeing his betrayal at the end of HBP in a similar way to Peter's betrayal. Two people he thought he knew, but didn't.

Harry Potter - I think that he likes Harry for himself, having spent more time with him than Sirius did, I think that Sirius tends to see him more as a younger James. Lupin I think, doesn't make this mistake. I think that he feels protective towards him, perhaps as a second godfather, if not in reality at least in his heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
2. What kind of information can Remus give Harry about his parents?
He can fill him in on all the information about them at school. Perhaps more about James than Lily, but at least a large amount of information on the both of them.

I think that he might also be able to fill in some of the gaps about Harry's grandparents, again more so on James's side of the family than Lily's.

I am unsure if he can fill Harry in on the whole defying Voldemort three times and the events that happened between them leaving school and their deaths. I get the impression that Remus might have been kept out of the loop on things, especially in the last weeks of their being in hiding.

So in short I don't think he can fill Harry in on the important questions about Voldemort and James and Lily in the first war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
3. Why didn’t Lupin try to contact Harry before PoA?
Up until Harry went to Hogwart's I believe that he would not have contacted him for the same reason none of the other wizards did. So that Harry could grow up in a normal, non-famous, way.

I am not sure why he didn't contact him in the first two years Harry was at Hogwart's though have various ideas:

- busy elsewhere in the country
- fears not being welcome
- fears causing Harry pain by explaining who he is and bringing up his parents
- asked not to contact him by Dumbledore
- turned away by the Dursleys
- did not know where the Dursleys lived
- not allowed in Hogwart's until he was teaching there - magically kept out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
4. How do you view Lupin and Tonks' relationship? How do you see it progressing in book 7? Will they settle down, get married and have children?
I like their relationship and was one of those who was not surprised by it in HBP. I can't see them having children by the end of book 7 (except perhaps a mention in an epilogue) purely on the timescale the book will take place over. We have canon from Molly referring to lots of eloping in the first war, so I could perhaps see them doing that. Okay, perhaps more Tonks doing that than Remus. I can see him perhaps being more cautious and them merely getting engaged. With two such different personalities it is hard to see which way that will go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
5. What will Lupin's role be in book 7? Will he be able to help Harry at all, and if so, how?
I think that he will be helping in the same way he has before. Both with the infiltration of the werewolf community and advising Harry. I am hoping we will get to see more of him in the final book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
6. What was Lupin’s role in the first war? Did Dumbledore use his special connexions to the werewolves already? What do you believe Lupin's role within the Order will be now that the Order will most likely be reorganized in light of Dumbledore's death?
I am hesitant to say that he used Lupin in the first war. Dumbledore seemed to believe that Voldemort was not gone and I think that he might have been planning continually ever since. If Remus was used in the first war then his cover might have been blown by his working at Hogwart's and thus disappearing for a year from the werewolf community.

I am sure that Lupin will continue to have a role in the Order and I think that perhaps he will be the liaison between the Order and Harry. I don't see him being in charge - for some reason I see Moody in that position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
7. Do you believe we will see Fenrir Greyback and the werewolves return? If so, do you see he and Lupin interacting again? Will Lupin take any part in fighting for the rights of werewolves, and/or will he work to make the werewolves' situation better? Do you think that Remus’ work for the order will change the general attitude towards werewolves?
I believe that Fenrir and the werewolves will return as that is too big a loophole to leave hanging. I am unsure if we will see Remus and Fenrir interacting but if they are I can see it being a scene where Fenrir tries to convince Remus to accept the werewolf side of him in the same way that he himself has. And when that doesn't work - a fight scene.

I think that any work to improve the rights of werewolves will be covered in an epilogue as these things would take a lot of time to accomplish. Remus's work for the Order could be a big step in starting to change people's opinions but it will depend on how much becomes public knowledge and how much is covered up.


  #3  
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:30 pm
undomiel9  Female.gif undomiel9 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5336 days
Age: 40
Posts: 197
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

LouisaB, hats off, truly. You've elaborated the subject in a marvellous way - the more difficult task for those who follow, alas.

Lupin is my second favourite protagonist, having Sirius ahead (sirius-ly indeed). Why not the first?
I don't know really what to expect of him. He seems almost flawless - brave when needed, calm when necessary, wise/inventive/compassionate/responsibe - all the best in one. But with all these advantages (and many more, needless to list them all), he appears so detached. He does not help Harry, unless asked. He seems unaware of the poor mental condition Sirius is in. Without any reasonable cause (reasonable enough for me, though many of you may disagree), he allows Tonks suffer.

It seems to me as if he was concentrating on his inner self; as if keeping his instincts under control was a bit too much to realise people around are in trouble.

From now on, his role in the book may evolve, since he becomes one of the main protagonist, Sirius and Dumbledore having passed away. The question is - will he manage?

I guess there is one person left now who can help him. Not Harry, not McGonagall, but - Tonks. Here is where the motif of love being the strongest weapon against Voldemort appears again. I believe what Dumbledore said about Harry may as well apply to others, maybe not in the same sense exactly. Harry's power which is supposed to defeat Dark Master remains vague as for its nature and strenght. But in the case of others this force may be more understandable - it is love that makes us strong, it is love which triggers the best of us.

The moment Lupin trusts Tonks, as soon as he realises her love to him is true and fair, he will be able not only to supress, and hopefully defeat, the dark side of his nature, but also become a trustworthy leader for the weak, the doubtful and the scared.


__________________
Every Legend has the End
  #4  
Old October 12th, 2006, 11:46 pm
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 5377 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,039
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by undomiel9 View Post
But with all these advantages (and many more, needless to list them all), he appears so detached. He does not help Harry, unless asked. He seems unaware of the poor mental condition Sirius is in. Without any reasonable cause (reasonable enough for me, though many of you may disagree), he allows Tonks suffer
I always interpreted this as self-protection and survivor's guilt. Remus has lost practically everyone he ever loved. It seems to be his strategy to distance himself from other people in order to remain sane. Tonks suffered in HBP but I am convinced that Remus considered it for the best not to get too close to her.

Quote:
The moment Lupin trusts Tonks, as soon as he realises her love to him is true and fair, he will be able not only to supress, and hopefully defeat, the dark side of his nature, but also become a trustworthy leader for the weak, the doubtful and the scared.
Love and trust are important themes in the books and I hope that Remus will experience some happiness through and with Nymphadora. However, he will never be a leader. It's just not Remus to seize the initiative and tell everyone what to do. He is a survivor and I hope that's the reason he won't die. If Remus was someone who could replace Dumbledore or Sirius in Harry's life he would have to die.


  #5  
Old October 13th, 2006, 12:15 am
62442al_Man  Male.gif 62442al_Man is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 5208 days
Age: 28
Posts: 3,082
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

My Character Analysis of Remus J. Lupin:
  1. Opening Statement: Easily one of my favorite characters. His easy-going motions and intentions make the books so much calmer in times of trouble, yet when rivaled, you can get the sense of fear inside you. His character is a very strong one. The calm moment, the eye of the storm, between his two old friend Sirius and James, is the best way I could describe him. He is like a father, behind the scenes, to Harry; and that is a figure Harry might need most what with allt he troubles in his life.
  2. Favorite Quotes: I don't have any specific ones, I just like how straight and fair his words are. He still has fun, no matter what is going on. I like his comments on Mrs. Weasley's song choice though.
  3. Favorite Moments: I wish a stronger bond could've been developed between him and Harry after Order of the Phoenix. When he held Harry back from trying to get to Sirius, it was heart-breaking and touching that Remus could be so strong and understanding. It was a very strong moment. Other than that one, I really liked any scenes with him in his youth. He is a wolf in sheeps clothing, literally, but not to the phrases fullest extent. What I mean is that teachers and others see him as a role-model, an icon, a model-student if you will. When really, he is a very mischievious boy and who really can become a wolf .

I hope I did this right, someone tell me if I did it wrong .
1. Your general thoughts on Lupin as a character? How has he grown, changed and matured throughout the books? What are his strengths and weaknesses? What do we know about his relationships to Sirius Black/Fenrir Greyback/Alastor Moody/James Potter/Lily Evans/Peter Pettigrew/Severus Snape/Harry Potter?

My general thoughts on his character is that he is a very calm person but shouldn't be crossed in the wrong manor. He is a genius in mind and skill. He seems very witty and seems to be a very very experienced and skillful wizard magically.

His strengths are probably his mind. He has that much of a step over the other person when tempted. Therefore, he holds a decent amount of power within himself. But his weaknesses will and have slowed him down. His major weakness is loved ones. He doesn't want anything to happen to them, so he gets proccupied with them and tries to protect them to his best ability, in which slows him down. Tonks, James, Sirius, etc. He sometimes is blinded by that.

I can see no more of a deeper deserving revenge than that of Remus and Fenrir. Yes, I want Voldemort banished just as much as the next, but think of all the children, all the lives, that that one beast has taken and I can honestly believe that it might be more, in the longrun even, than Voldemort...from what we've learned atleast. I won't stick by that statement too much because we have little eveidence on that other than Fenrir attacking children so as to build an army. That reason alone is sick and I truly hope Remus is the last man standing over Fenrir. Fenrir deserves death.



Last edited by 62442al_Man; October 13th, 2006 at 1:40 am.
  #6  
Old October 13th, 2006, 12:42 am
Sarapsys's Avatar
Sarapsys  Female.gif Sarapsys is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4912 days
Location: Emu Army HQ
Age: 32
Posts: 564
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madron View Post
However, he will never be a leader. It's just not Remus to seize the initiative and tell everyone what to do.
I agree completely. I think he's a very good follower. He is able to do a task and use initiative and intuition to get something done. He is also very good at cooperating with others and faciliating relationships between others. But he has this whole deep-seated thing where he doesn't trust himself, and he doesn't have confidence in himself. He is sort of a watcher--he likes to observe people, and make suggestions--he's very perceptive--but he is afraid to take responsibility for people or plans because he has no faith in his own ability or trustworthiness. I think he really wants to get involved in other people's lives but is afraid. And part of me wonders if it runs deeper than just the werewolf thing, and if he thinks that if he lets someone get to know him they won't like him for himself. I think it could have been possible for a person to sort of overcome that aspect of themselves, although with great difficulty, and I sort of think there may have been some predisposition there to be very sensitive and worried about other people's opinions. This is a quality that would have been very much heightened by his condition, but I don't think it was completely caused by it.

As to the Tonks+Lupin thing, I think that is the cutest ship in the entire series. I really wonder if it's himself, her, or both that he mistrusts. But if they don't end up married I will probably have some book-throwing urges.


__________________




Happy Burger Comic Season 2 [Ep. 6 09/02/08]

HP Sketches [Updated 08/02/08]

...if you want to get a hold of me, you should probably poke me on dA
  #7  
Old October 13th, 2006, 2:59 am
RemusLupinFan's Avatar
RemusLupinFan  Female.gif RemusLupinFan is offline
I want to believe
 
Joined: 5755 days
Location: The office in the basement
Posts: 5,897
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madron View Post
However, he will never be a leader. It's just not Remus to seize the initiative and tell everyone what to do.
Though I agree with you to a degree, I do actually see some leadership qualities in Remus, mostly in OotP. Three examples come to mind:

1. When the Advance Guard comes to collect Harry at the Dursleys house, it appears Remus is in charge. He is described as standing nearest to Harry, which I took to mean he was at the head of the crowd. Furthermore, he is the one who watches for the wand-sparks signals and commands everyone to action (ie "Mount your brooms, that's the first signal" and "Second signal, let's go!" - from ch 3 of OotP). He also tells everyone when it's time to descend after they've been flying. So from these various commands it seems like Lupin is a bit of a leader here.

2. In the kitchen of Grimmauld Place, as Sirius and Molly are arguing over Harry, Lupin takes charge for a moment just as things are getting heated (Sirius starts to rise from his chair after Molly makes the dig about him not being able to watch Harry since he was in Azkaban). Lupin tells them both off, saying “Molly, you’re not the only person at this table who cares about Harry,” said Lupin sharply. “Sirius, sit down.”

3. In the DoM during the Order vs. the Death Eaters fight, Remus takes charge in a very heated situation, and appears to bring down the leader of the Death Eaters - Lucius:
Malfoy aimed his wand at Harry and Neville again, but before he could draw breath to strike, Lupin had jumped between them.

“Harry, round up the others and GO!”
Though Lupin is content for the most part to not draw attention to himself and not to be in a leadership position, he does have some qualities of a leader, like resourcefulness, diplomacy, and a take-charge attitude in dangerous situations. That doesn't make him a natural leader of course, but it does show that he could take charge of things if the situation warranted it.


__________________

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
  #8  
Old October 13th, 2006, 5:07 am
62442al_Man  Male.gif 62442al_Man is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 5208 days
Age: 28
Posts: 3,082
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

I am going to finish the rest of the questions now .
2. What kind of information can Remus give Harry about his parents?

Well, that is hard to answer. Whose to say there is any information that is hidden from Harry? What could be that important? If anything, it has to do with Godric's Hollow, and what they did for the Order, in my opinion.

3. Why didn’t Lupin try to contact Harry before PoA?

Ooh, good question, I never thought of that. Perhaps he was doing something important (like with Werewolves) and couldn't be bothered like that. Well, I can see why he didn't get in contact with Harry before Harry knew what he was; its the same reason no other magical folk contacted him (except for outsiders like Dedalus Diggle, but Harry was just confused about that encounter and few others). Maybe he was just in a state of weakness and couldn't travel...he was poor, too, and we have no clue what residence, if any, Remus had or has.

4. How do you view Lupin and Tonks' relationship? How do you see it progressing in book 7? Will they settle down, get married and have children?Since the last chapter is supposedly a short epilogue (?), then we may be lucky enough to hear the future of Remus John Lupin and his future, if it is to last, with Tonks. I see them living, both of them, in my head, but it isn't hard to see Remus dying. Since I am pretty sure Peter will die, unless he gets the Pre Jo mentioned, then that would be the end of the Marauders and that thought sort of sits with me, as much as I want Remus to stay...but lets hope not and hope their relationship does develop and we get to see a bit more. We will, I am sure of it, see something developing between Tonks and Remus in Book 7, but I doubt we will see any pregnancy, birth, or even a marriage in that book (discarding the last chapter).

5. What will Lupin's role be in book 7? Will he be able to help Harry at all, and if so, how?

If it isn't information on something...anything...whether it is Harry's parents, Horcruxes, Voldemort, or other, then I think not. Harry, and possibly Ron and Hermione, needs to go on alone. Hermione and Ron will come, whether Harry likes it or not, but I think if Remus tries to go that far and play the father figure that Jo had to kill off for that very reason of the fact that 'Harry needs to go on alone', then Harry will definetely put his foot down and not let Remus come on this final adventure. Apologies for that run-on sentence

6. What was Lupin’s role in the first war? Did Dumbledore use his special connexions to the werewolves already? What do you believe Lupin's role within the Order will be now that the Order will most likely be reorganized in light of Dumbledore's death?

It will definetely, as we have read in Book 6, have to do with forming some sort of agreemant, pact, alliance, whatever, with the werewolf community. Remus will be a major part and I think Fenrir will be including in this fiasco. And yes, I think it will stay the same. That, and maybe some other nightwatch or tracking or recruiting duties.

In the first war, it may have also been with werewolves, but I am certain that as smart as that man is, they would give him more than one task. What it is, I don't know for cerain and I cant really rally a guess other than it was one of the more dangerous jobs.

7. Do you believe we will see Fenrir Greyback and the werewolves return? If so, do you see he and Lupin interacting again? Will Lupin take any part in fighting for the rights of werewolves, and/or will he work to make the werewolves' situation better? Do you think that Remus’ work for the order will change the general attitude towards werewolves?

Yes, indefinetely. All of that, I think will happen, in one form or another. Same reasons as I stated above. it is Remus' duty. He has the power, he has the necessary revenge, he will make a stand.


  #9  
Old October 13th, 2006, 5:36 am
Sarapsys's Avatar
Sarapsys  Female.gif Sarapsys is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4912 days
Location: Emu Army HQ
Age: 32
Posts: 564
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
Though I agree with you to a degree, I do actually see some leadership qualities in Remus, mostly in OotP. Three examples come to mind:

1. When the Advance Guard comes to collect Harry at the Dursleys house, it appears Remus is in charge. He is described as standing nearest to Harry, which I took to mean he was at the head of the crowd. Furthermore, he is the one who watches for the wand-sparks signals and commands everyone to action (ie "Mount your brooms, that's the first signal" and "Second signal, let's go!" - from ch 3 of OotP). He also tells everyone when it's time to descend after they've been flying. So from these various commands it seems like Lupin is a bit of a leader here.

2. In the kitchen of Grimmauld Place, as Sirius and Molly are arguing over Harry, Lupin takes charge for a moment just as things are getting heated (Sirius starts to rise from his chair after Molly makes the dig about him not being able to watch Harry since he was in Azkaban). Lupin tells them both off, saying “Molly, you’re not the only person at this table who cares about Harry,” said Lupin sharply. “Sirius, sit down.”

3. In the DoM during the Order vs. the Death Eaters fight, Remus takes charge in a very heated situation, and appears to bring down the leader of the Death Eaters - Lucius:
Malfoy aimed his wand at Harry and Neville again, but before he could draw breath to strike, Lupin had jumped between them.

“Harry, round up the others and GO!”
Though Lupin is content for the most part to not draw attention to himself and not to be in a leadership position, he does have some qualities of a leader, like resourcefulness, diplomacy, and a take-charge attitude in dangerous situations. That doesn't make him a natural leader of course, but it does show that he could take charge of things if the situation warranted it.

I think there's a big difference, though, in heading up a minor operation like that, where he may have been specifically instructed by Dumbledore as to what he was supposed to do under various circumstances that could have come up, and actually making his own independent decisions and ordering others act upon it. In this situation he's acting on Dumbly's authority, not on his own; therefore his confidence is in AD's choices and reasons, not his own. I don't think, for instance, that Lupin would be at all comfortable giving someone a task that would put them in danger. And I think intervening in the argument shows more that he is a mediator, not that he is a strong leader. But you bring up some very good points


__________________




Happy Burger Comic Season 2 [Ep. 6 09/02/08]

HP Sketches [Updated 08/02/08]

...if you want to get a hold of me, you should probably poke me on dA
  #10  
Old October 13th, 2006, 9:09 am
undomiel9  Female.gif undomiel9 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5336 days
Age: 40
Posts: 197
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarapsys View Post
I think there's a big difference, though, in heading up a minor operation like that, where he may have been specifically instructed by Dumbledore as to what he was supposed to do under various circumstances that could have come up, and actually making his own independent decisions and ordering others act upon it. In this situation he's acting on Dumbly's authority, not on his own; therefore his confidence is in AD's choices and reasons, not his own. I don't think, for instance, that Lupin would be at all comfortable giving someone a task that would put them in danger. And I think intervening in the argument shows more that he is a mediator, not that he is a strong leader. But you bring up some very good points
There are many kinds of leadership, I guess. My intention was to state that the moment Lupin becomes self-confident, he can act as a support for those who are in need. As I said, he could be a leader for the weak and full of doubts, not necessarily for the fighters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
Though Lupin is content for the most part to not draw attention to himself and not to be in a leadership position, he does have some qualities of a leader, like resourcefulness, diplomacy, and a take-charge attitude in dangerous situations. That doesn't make him a natural leader of course, but it does show that he could take charge of things if the situation warranted it.
In the troubled times - hope we'll never face them ourselves - a man must do what a man must do. Besides, there aren't many adult wizards left who could cope with the responsibility of leading the resistance after D's death. Maybe Lupin will not be the head leader, but I'm sure he'll have to take some decisions and give orders, simply because he is experienced in fighting against Voldemort.

I agree completely with those of you (e.g. 62442al Man) who claim that it won't be Lupin to go with Harry for his search. Not as much because he won't manage, but becauase now comes the time for the next generation to take a stand.


__________________
Every Legend has the End
  #11  
Old October 13th, 2006, 12:49 pm
LouisaB's Avatar
LouisaB  Female.gif LouisaB is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 5731 days
Posts: 819
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by undomiel9 View Post
LouisaB, hats off, truly. You've elaborated the subject in a marvellous way - the more difficult task for those who follow, alas.
Goodness I'm all now.

Quote:
The moment Lupin trusts Tonks, as soon as he realises her love to him is true and fair, he will be able not only to supress, and hopefully defeat, the dark side of his nature, but also become a trustworthy leader for the weak, the doubtful and the scared.
I can certainly see him becoming a leader for the werewolves who do not want to give in to the nature of the beast that resides within them.

I think that perhaps his experience in leading minor operations within the Order (as described already on this thread by RemusLupinFan) will help him in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarapsys View Post
I think he really wants to get involved in other people's lives but is afraid. And part of me wonders if it runs deeper than just the werewolf thing, and if he thinks that if he lets someone get to know him they won't like him for himself. I think it could have been possible for a person to sort of overcome that aspect of themselves, although with great difficulty, and I sort of think there may have been some predisposition there to be very sensitive and worried about other people's opinions. This is a quality that would have been very much heightened by his condition, but I don't think it was completely caused by it.
I agree. I see the problem as having developed over time.

At first he was worried that his friends would not accept him because he was a werewolf. It seems to me that later on at school he might also have worried that if he were not a werewolf they would not accept him as he wasn't exciting enough. Without his being a werewolf there would have been fewer (if any) midnight jaunts.

He seems to be very worried about Dumbledore's opinion in particular. He didn't wish to tell him about Sirius being an animagus as it would involve him confessing about what they got up to at Hogwart's and he didn't want to disappoint him. I do wonder what Dumbledore said when he did find out and whether that might have been what triggered a more forceful approach from Remus in OotP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undomiel9 View Post
I agree completely with those of you (e.g. 62442al Man) who claim that it won't be Lupin to go with Harry for his search. Not as much because he won't manage, but becauase now comes the time for the next generation to take a stand.
I also agree with this. If Remus were a candidate to help Harry on the actual hunt then he too would have been "killed off" prior to this point.


  #12  
Old October 13th, 2006, 1:55 pm
SusanBones's Avatar
SusanBones  Female.gif SusanBones is offline
Inconceivable!
 
Joined: 5568 days
Location: in a galaxy far, far away
Posts: 4,090
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Lupin is a fantastic character. He deals with a lot of shame. He is afraid to form close bonds because of his greatest fear, the fear that he will physically hurt those that are close to him. He was unable to risk losing his friends by reprimanding them when they were out of line, as we see in the Pensieve memory. He was unwilling to lose Dumbledore's trust in him as a teacher by revealing that the Marauder's were animagi. He really had a blind spot when it came to Sirius Black in PoA. He knew that Sirius could be getting into the school through the secret passages. That inaction could have had serious consequences if Sirius really had been trying to kill Harry.

Lupin's role in book 7 will be very interesting. Lupin may hold some answers for Harry, but I think that Harry would have to be the one to reach out to Lupin for help. Harry's lack of curiousity about his parents has been maddening. The trip he plans to make to Godric's Hollow may bring him to ask Lupin more about his parents. Lupin may be able to tell Harry what jobs his parents had. I believe Lupin was in the Order and would have interacted with them during Voldy War 1.

I think that Lupin hated having the task of infiltrating the werewolves. I wonder if that job will change now that Dumbledore is no longer the leader. He seems too mild mannered to engage in a battle with Fenrir, werewolf to werewolf. But I suppose that is where the story is heading.

I love that scene in the PoA movie with Lupin telling Harry about his parents. Even the visiuals were beautiful. Even though many of the things that Lupin said in the movie were not in the book, I think that JK Rowling could have written the scene that way. If Lily could stick up for Snape in the Pensieve scene, she would clearly behave the same way toward Lupin, and probably much more, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madron
If Remus was someone who could replace Dumbledore or Sirius in Harry's life he would have to die.
This is an interesting observation. Since I don't want Sirius to die, Lupin better stay peripheral.


  #13  
Old October 13th, 2006, 4:52 pm
guad's Avatar
guad  Undisclosed.gif guad is offline
Mrs Grawp
 
Joined: 5321 days
Location: Rocking with BAS DÖSE
Posts: 3,618
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Remus is one of my favourite characters, and definitely my favourite marauder. He is smart, sensible and caring. His flaw, the fact that he has difficulties in confronting others because he doesn't want to be rejected is IMO something he is overcoming.

He is also (as far as we know) the only child bitten werewolf who has an education and who has lived like a human, trying to integrate in society. I believe that it's thank to Dumbledore giving him a chance and thanks to his friends staying with him that he did not become a Fenrir follower.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Madron View Post
I always interpreted this as self-protection and survivor's guilt. Remus has lost practically everyone he ever loved. It seems to be his strategy to distance himself from other people in order to remain sane. Tonks suffered in HBP but I am convinced that Remus considered it for the best not to get too close to her.
In addition to this, I also believe that the fact that he had lost his last living best friend shortly before played a role. He hardly had time to mourn Sirius, got send to spy on the werewolves right after his death, and he was the last of his best friends.
I can see Remus not wanting to get close to anybody, because he keeps losing all the persons he cares about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
5. What will Lupin's role be in book 7? Will he be able to help Harry at all, and if so, how?
Yes, I think he will be helping in some way. He will probably give more information about James and Lily. He will also take part in the new organisation of the Order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
7. Do you believe we will see Fenrir Greyback and the werewolves return? If so, do you see he and Lupin interacting again? Will Lupin take any part in fighting for the rights of werewolves, and/or will he work to make the werewolves' situation better? Do you think that Remus’ work for the order will change the general attitude towards werewolves?
He will be after the war the first werewolf representant in the Wizegamot. He will, with Harrys and Hermiones help, make laws pass to give out free wolfsbane potion, and abolish the anti-werewolf legislation.
He will send Umbridge on an exile to the Centaur forest.

Now, seriously, I think that it's no coincidence that we get to know the werewolves through Remus, a kind, caring and intelligent man. I would be surprised if nothing changed in the end of book 7 in order to make his situation in society better.


__________________

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!


BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
  #14  
Old October 13th, 2006, 10:41 pm
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 5377 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,039
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
Though Lupin is content for the most part to not draw attention to himself and not to be in a leadership position, he does have some qualities of a leader, like resourcefulness, diplomacy, and a take-charge attitude in dangerous situations. That doesn't make him a natural leader of course, but it does show that he could take charge of things if the situation warranted it.
I agree with you on his leader potential, I just don't see him offering himself as leader. I actually liked how he negotiated things between Molly and Sirius, who behaved rather immaturely in that situation. Remus has a lot of talents but he would never impose himself on others. I believe that this has to do with him expecting to be rejected. I think that the members of the Order trust and respect him only to a certain extent. Molly likes him but I doubt that she would want him as a son-in-law if she had an elder daughter. In a situation similar to the one Remus went through in 1981, most people would distrust him first, simply because he is what he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post
In addition to this, I also believe that the fact that he had lost his last living best friend shortly before played a role. He hardly had time to mourn Sirius, got send to spy on the werewolves right after his death, and he was the last of his best friends.
I can see Remus not wanting to get close to anybody, because he keeps losing all the persons he cares about.
That's exactly how I see it!


  #15  
Old October 13th, 2006, 11:37 pm
Olwen's Avatar
Olwen  Undisclosed.gif Olwen is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5326 days
Posts: 438
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

1. Your general thoughts on Lupin as a character?
I like Lupin's humanity and I think he must have been a very special young boy to have friends so loyal as to become unregistered animagi to keep him company. He has a nice touch with the students, and comes across as an essentially decent and gentle man in contrast to his horrifying condition. I think he is a literary example of how superstition, prejudice and marginalization can hurt good people.

When he was a boy, he had difficulty standing up to his friends when he knew they were doing wrong, as in Snape's Worst Memory. Perhaps this came from years of being lonely and separated from society. He may simply have been afraid of losing their precious friendship but whatever the reason he has the courage as an adult to stand up to Sirius in POA, and go among the werewolves to recruit them.

I think he was great friends with Sirius and James, perhaps like brothers, and he treasured Lily's kindness to him at a time when he was young and lonely and the thoughtfulness of a girl was especially welcome. I did find it surprising that this gentle character was capable of killing Peter Pettigrew, had Harry not intervened, making it apparent that his loyalty to the Potters goes very deep. As to Snape, by OotP they tolerate each other as Order members, which is probably the best one couold hope for given their past. If given the chance, I am sure Lupin will kill Fenrir because of what he has done to him, but probably even more so that he cannot infect any other young children.

2. What kind of information can Remus give Harry about his parents?
He could tell Harry what he knows or has observed about them: what they were like, how they met, the history of their courtship, their dreams for their baby when Lily learned she was pregnant, and how they were around baby Harry.

3. Why didn’t Lupin try to contact Harry before PoA?
Ithink Dumbledore probably asked Lupin not to contact Harry knowing Petunia's prejudice against anything magical, and to keep Harry from the wizarding world until he was ready to learn the truth.

4. How do you view Lupin and Tonks' relationship? How do you see it progressing in book 7? Will they settle down, get married and have children?
It saddened me to see Lupin so bitter by his condition, and almost despairing in Book 7 by his mistreatment at the hands of wizarding society that he cannot accept the love of this young woman, but there is hope yet because they were holding hands at the end of Book 7.

5. What will Lupin's role be in book 7? Will he be able to help Harry at all, and if so, how?
I think he will work within the order to keep Dumbledore's plans going and that will help Harry in his mission.

6. What was Lupin’s role in the first war?
Not sure, but probably not as an emissary to the werewolf community.

7. Do you believe we will see Fenrir Greyback and the werewolves return?
I think he and Fenrir will have a face-off in Book 7, probably in full werewolf form. If Lupin emerges victorious and kills Fenrir, he may be in a position to put the situation of werewolves before the public, especially since the Wolfsbane potion removes the dangerous monthly change.


__________________
Icon by brontide
  #16  
Old October 13th, 2006, 11:56 pm
wimblemimble's Avatar
wimblemimble  Female.gif wimblemimble is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 4933 days
Location: The Island
Age: 29
Posts: 741
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
2. What kind of information can Remus give Harry about his parents?
I think that Lupin can give Harry a lot of information about his parents, the only problem is that he seems to want to keep said information to himself. He doesn't say much unless Harry asks him questions specifically... and we know how often that has happened.
Quote:
3. Why didn’t Lupin try to contact Harry before PoA?
I never thought about that... give me a minute and I'll see if I come up with something.
Quote:
4. How do you view Lupin and Tonks' relationship? How do you see it progressing in book 7? Will they settle down, get married and have children?
I want to take this time to say that I predicted Lupin/Tonks and give myself a little cheer. OK, so I didn't really predict it, but I did think that they would make a cute couple while reading OoTP... then I realized what I was thinking and wondered where such randomness came from.
Now that it is canon I think that its cute, but the way that Rowling got the information out... sounded forced. I hope the rest of their relationship moves a little smoother.
Quote:
5. What will Lupin's role be in book 7? Will he be able to help Harry at all, and if so, how?
Now that he can no longer spy on the werewolves I don't know what he will do. Perhapes he shall be able to give Harry some advice, but apart from a few scenes I don't think he will see much action fighting wise.
Quote:
6. What was Lupin’s role in the first war? Did Dumbledore use his special connexions to the werewolves already? What do you believe Lupin's role within the Order will be now that the Order will most likely be reorganized in light of Dumbledore's death?
I don't think that lupin played much of a role... they suspected that he was the one to betray the Potters. I suppose it could go either way though. He helped and then they think he turned on them or he stayed away and they think he sold them out. I don't know.
Quote:
7. Do you believe we will see Fenrir Greyback and the werewolves return? If so, do you see he and Lupin interacting again? Will Lupin take any part in fighting for the rights of werewolves, and/or will he work to make the werewolves' situation better? Do you think that Remus’ work for the order will change the general attitude towards werewolves?
Of course he will. Why would JKR put such emphasis on Fenrir without intending to give him more than three lines at the end of HBP? I do believe that he will meet Lupin... but the outcome/circumstances are up for debate.



Last edited by wimblemimble; October 14th, 2006 at 4:16 am.
  #17  
Old October 14th, 2006, 3:50 am
RemusLupinFan's Avatar
RemusLupinFan  Female.gif RemusLupinFan is offline
I want to believe
 
Joined: 5755 days
Location: The office in the basement
Posts: 5,897
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones111 View Post
Lupin may hold some answers for Harry, but I think that Harry would have to be the one to reach out to Lupin for help.
I absolutely agree. I think in general, Harry has a problem asking for other people's help, but that's because he's had to rely on himself for so long. I also don't believe Lupin (or any other adult for that matter) will accompany Harry on his quest, because I agree that now is the time for the kids to make their mark in the fight against Voldemort. But that doesn't preclude any of the adults from giving the kids some guidance at certain points. In that regard, I believe Lupin (among others) will be very important in nudging Harry and co. in the right direction and giving them key knowledge that will help them in their mission. The fact that Lupin is an expert in Defense Against the Dark Arts could mean that he may teach Harry another bit of complex magic before he leaves.


__________________

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
  #18  
Old October 14th, 2006, 11:16 pm
SKasparRollins  Male.gif SKasparRollins is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4920 days
Posts: 959
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

1. Your general thoughts on Lupin as a character? How has he grown, changed and matured throughout the books? What are his strengths and weaknesses? What do we know about his relationships to Sirius Black/Fenrir Greyback/Alastor Moody/James Potter/Lily Evans/Peter Pettigrew/Severus Snape/Harry Potter?

I see Lupin as the "straight man" among the Marauders. James was the leader, Sirius was the head prankster, Wormtail was the follower, and Lupin was the one most different from the rest. He was the one who straightened out the group when he had to, but wouldn't let it get in the way of his friends having fun (we are shown this in Snape's Worst Memory. This is perhaps the reason that Snape despises him just as much as the other Marauders.) Compare this inability to control his friends with Ron's treatment of Fred and George when he is made a prefect in OOTP. Ron tries to stop Hermione from putting an end to their antics, knowing both that it will have no effect on their behaviour, and that he may potentially harm his relationship with them if he does.

Lupin, in my opinion, has replaced Sirius as the tragic hero among the Order. Although his life is not as tragic as Sirius', he seemed to show, subtlety, in books 5 and 6, bitterness towards Umbridge and the Ministry for not letting him get a job. Which is worse, having to live as a prisoner in your own home because of crimes you didn't commit, or not being able to live and work among wizards because of a crime wizards fear you may commit and have no control over? Lupin has been deprived of the Wolfsbane Potion ever since he left Hogwarts, I believe. This only further adds to his misery. Hogwarts seems to be the only place he could possibly work: he has a Wolfsbane Potion every month and is able to transform safely without hurting anybody.

Lupin may have influenced Harry's personality and choices more than people think. He does it in very subtle ways. Harry breaks up with Ginny just days after he sees Lupin try and convince Tonks that he is not the right one for her. Part of the reason Lupin does this is because he believes that Tonks will be in danger if she is with him. Although Harry, I think, knows that Ginny is the right one for him and vice versa, he may have decided that Ginny was in danger after Lupin warns Tonks.


2. What kind of information can Remus give Harry about his parents?

Remus, I think, was closer to Lily than James was (until seventh year, of course.) He was likely the only Marauder she could stand, and she probably understood both why he hung around with them, and why he didn't try harder to stop them. Having hung around both Lily and James for almost all of his time at Hogwarts, I believe he knew that it was only a matter of time before Lily gave in to James. He seems to understand human relationships a lot (remember when he both knows that Tonks wants him, and understands why her Patronus changed.)

I have a feeling that Lupin will be part of the key towards the epiphany about Lily, and the importance of Harry having Lily's eyes.


3. Why didn’t Lupin try to contact Harry before PoA?

I believe that Lupin knew that Harry was in miserable conditions at the Dursleys, having been told so by Dumbledore. He perhaps had met Petunia Evans before, and he maybe knew, but did not tell Dumbledore, that Petunia may try and shield him from the wizarding world. Or, perhaps he thought it would be too painful for Harry to have to learn about his parents (compare this to Dumbledore keeping information from Harry so that Harry could have some semblance of a childhood). I really can't answer this question satisfyingly.

4. How do you view Lupin and Tonks' relationship? How do you see it progressing in book 7? Will they settle down, get married and have children?

Lupin and Tonks' relationship was spontaneous to me. I really don't know why she felt attracted to him. I understand most of the other romantic relationships in the book, but am slightly puzzled by this one. As sad as it is, I don't see a bright future for Lupin (because I believe he is a tragic hero...we all know what happens to tragic heroes.) The idea of Lupin and Tonks having children still seems quite bizarre to me, both because of the children they would form, and the fact that Remus is 20+ years older than Tonks.

5. What will Lupin's role be in book 7? Will he be able to help Harry at all, and if so, how?

See Question 3...

6. What was Lupin’s role in the first war? Did Dumbledore use his special connexions to the werewolves already? What do you believe Lupin's role within the Order will be now that the Order will most likely be reorganized in light of Dumbledore's death?

Lupin is a more powerful wizard than he lets on. But his quote in HBP ("Dumbledore wanted a spy [on the werewolves] and here I was, ready made.") implies that this is a new role for Lupin. I see Lupin as one of the main commanders and strategists for the Order, if such a position exists.

7. Do you believe we will see Fenrir Greyback and the werewolves return? If so, do you see he and Lupin interacting again? Will Lupin take any part in fighting for the rights of werewolves, and/or will he work to make the werewolves' situation better? Do you think that Remus’ work for the order will change the general attitude towards werewolves?

Unfortunately, I think it is very likely that Greyback saw Lupin fighting with the Order in the Battle of the Tower, so I think his cover is blown. I can see Lupin as the type who would lobby the Ministry for werewolves' rights, but I doubt he ever would, because, as Lupin himself points out, most werewolves don't WANT to live among wizards. Lupin is the most destined to kill Greyback...after all, Greyback eventually ruined his life.


__________________
  #19  
Old October 15th, 2006, 5:02 pm
BublGumPnkHar's Avatar
BublGumPnkHar  Female.gif BublGumPnkHar is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5505 days
Location: Cruising the world's oceans
Age: 75
Posts: 1,026
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKasparRollins View Post
4. How do you view Lupin and Tonks' relationship? How do you see it progressing in book 7? Will they settle down, get married and have children?

Lupin and Tonks' relationship was spontaneous to me. I really don't know why she felt attracted to him. I understand most of the other romantic relationships in the book, but am slightly puzzled by this one. As sad as it is, I don't see a bright future for Lupin (because I believe he is a tragic hero...we all know what happens to tragic heroes.) The idea of Lupin and Tonks having children still seems quite bizarre to me, both because of the children they would form, and the fact that Remus is 20+ years older than Tonks.
This is the only place I disagree with you.

First, the Marauders in Harry's sixth year would only be in their late 30s, Tonks can be no younger than 22 (3 years Auror training, at least 2 years on the job - 17 years old + 5 years after = at the very least 22) making the age difference 12-16 years.

Second, as a female I can tell you (not just my user name ) a man with the qualities of a Lupin are very enticing and she has worked closely with him for at least 2 years in the Order and would have gotten to know him very/quite well. The fact they have even had these discussions tells me they have done a lot of work together and are comfortable enough, with each other, to discuss such personal matters.

I was not at all surprised when they admitted to having feelings for each other. But, of course, that is how I see it, and I respect your individual take on it. There would nothing to discuss if we all agreed with each other - and a lot of very short threads on this CoS Forum.


  #20  
Old October 15th, 2006, 8:55 pm
BabyWerewolf's Avatar
BabyWerewolf  Female.gif BabyWerewolf is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4978 days
Location: The Lunatic Cafe
Age: 29
Posts: 600
Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Opening Statement:I'm not saying much here, as all will be revealed in the questions....but I will say he's my favourite character. Above Sirius. Above Hermione, who was my favourite up until PoA. I want to be Tonks...

I empathize with him a lot, especially with him as a teenager in the Penseive, where he's my age and a lot like me, but also as an adult. He's probably the character I care most about in the whole series, partially becasue of what I just said.
Aaahhh...the questions:
Quote:
1. Your general thoughts on Lupin as a character? How has he grown, changed and matured throughout the books? What are his strengths and weaknesses?
For a lot of his time at Hogwarts, at least up until the time of Snape's memory, I think he was still amazed at the idea that he still had friends, that anyone could like him. That meant he didn't dare go against them, as in the pensieve scene. He was the voice of reason, but he wasn't very loud! That's not to be taken as a criticism of him, really, although it is one of his weaknesses. Even much later, with Tonks, he judges himself much more harshly than anyone else. He's still afraid of being rejected. It must have taken a long time for him to get comfortable with the idea that the other Marauders could still be his friends after they found out about him being a werewolf, and he didn't dare test the boundaries any further, or he would have stood up to them about Snape. This isn't entirely canon, this is me speaking from experience and my personal opinion of Lupin, but I think he was always afraid of losing them. He'd never dare say exactly what he thought, or make suggestions, or contradict them, becasue he wasn't secure enough to beleive they'd still want him. From very young, he had to hide what he was, and I think that ability to keep secrets, coupled with that insecurity probably meant that at that time, no-one knew exactly who he was, either. Even when he confided his secrets to his friends, they still didn't know who he was inside.
As the adult we see in the books, he's stronger, he's more confident in himself. But there's still that holding back. He doesn't let people see his heart unless he has to. He keeps his secrets to himself. Even the people who know him probably don't really know him.
He's had a lot of troubles in his life, but he doesn't let them rule him completely. Circumstances outside his control have made a lot of his life very unhappy, and that has shaped his personality, but it doesn't control him.
There are two ways of copng with problems. They will always affect you, but you can get bitter about them, or you can learn to live with them. I'm not saying he's not bitter about the things that have happened to him, especially Umbridge and her rules, but if you contrast the way he deals with things to the way say, Snape does, you can see how differently he handles them. He can grow through his problems, but that dsoesn't mean they haven't hurt him.

Aahhh...It would appear I have written rather a lot. I'm not going to go into a list of his actual characteristics, you know them...plenty of other people have said them...

Quote:
What do we know about his relationships to Sirius Black
Quote:
James Potter
I've put these two tgether, becasue up until the time James died, the answer is quite similar. Like I said above, he proably never completely opened up to them, and that's proably what led to them suspecting him as the traitor.

With Sirius, later on: I don't think he even completely reconciled the Sirius he'd known with the murderer, or neother of them would have forgiven each other for their suspicions as quickly in the Shrieking Shack.
There's a lot more I could say about their friendship, but I'm having trouble articulating it.

Quote:
Severus Snape
He doesn't like him. Few people, if any, do. But I do think he respects him. (And I imagine he still feels guillty for the way the Marauders treated Snape. And the fact that Sirius doesn't appear to have grown out of it completely probably still troubles him a bit)

Quote:
Harry Potter?
He is quite a big influence on Harry, and I think we'll see more of that in book 7. He's very different from Harry in some ways, and Harry could learn a lot from him. But he also has a lot in common with Harry.

Quote:
2. What kind of information can Remus give Harry about his parents?
A lot, but he's not likely to volunteer it unless he's asked, partly becasue it must be extremely painful for him to talk about them.

Quote:
3. Why didn’t Lupin try to contact Harry before PoA?
Possibly Dumbledore told him not to? He didn't want Harry brought up as part of the wizarding world, did he, and so up until he was eleven he wouldn't have wanted Lupin talking to him.
My answer to question two maybe also applies here.

Quote:
4. How do you view Lupin and Tonks' relationship? How do you see it progressing in book 7? Will they settle down, get married and have children?
I can see their relationship progressing, yes. The main barrier to Remus having a romantic relationship was always going to be his lycanthropy, and now they're over that hurdle, it should be good.
Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic, but I do want to see most of the romances that have started up develop. Lupin and Tonks is the one I think is most likely to work, and the one I care most about.
I do think they'll get married, but I'm not sure about kids. I think he'd make a great dad, but I don't know that he will. One small question:Is HP lycanthropy genetically transmissable, or is it just by biting?

Quote:
5. What will Lupin's role be in book 7? Will he be able to help Harry at all, and if so, how?
I think he will have a role in book 7, as an important part of the Order, and as a source of information. In addition, Harry now has no adult mentors left in his life, and while Lupin will never be as important to him as Dumbledore or Sirius, he might be needed to fulfill that role.

Quote:
6. What was Lupin’s role in the first war? Did Dumbledore use his special connexions to the werewolves already? What do you believe Lupin's role within the Order will be now that the Order will most likely be reorganized in light of Dumbledore's death?
I think he will be very much involved in organization and leadership, but I don't see him as the overall leader. He can give orders, true, but I doubt he'd put himself forward as a leader. I see Moody as the future leader, and Lupin as the second-in-command and the voice of reason when Moody gets too Moodyish.

Quote:
7. Do you believe we will see Fenrir Greyback and the werewolves return? If so, do you see he and Lupin interacting again? Will Lupin take any part in fighting for the rights of werewolves, and/or will he work to make the werewolves' situation better? Do you think that Remus’ work for the order will change the general attitude towards werewolves?
I do think we'll see Fenrir's wolves again. They're going to be one of Voldemort's best weapons, after all. That could be a big blow for the acceptance of werewolves, and Lupin is the only one working for the Order, whereas there are a lot on Voldie's side, so it doesn't quite balance out. However, after the war is over, there will have to be a lot of radical rethinks on equality and so on in the wizarding world, and the Order (and thus Lupin), who I assume will be instrumental in the defeat of Voldemort, will have quite a lot of influence. So yes, eventually, I do think some changes will be made, and for the better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BublGumPnkHar View Post
Second, as a female I can tell you (not just my user name ) a man with the qualities of a Lupin are very enticing and she has worked closely with him for at least 2 years in the Order and would have gotten to know him very/quite well. The fact they have even had these discussions tells me they have done a lot of work together and are comfortable enough, with each other, to discuss such personal matters.

I was not at all surprised when they admitted to having feelings for each other. But, of course, that is how I see it, and I respect your individual take on it. There would nothing to discuss if we all agreed with each other - and a lot of very short threads on this CoS Forum.
I agree completely. I wasn't surprised at her having feleings for him (hell, I do, and I am 20 years younger than him...), or at his reaction to it for that matter. I do think they are perfect for each other, despite the age gap.



Last edited by BabyWerewolf; October 15th, 2006 at 8:57 pm.
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 8:30 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.