Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts

A new purpose- an 'epilogue'

Old October 20th, 2006, 5:53 am
Third Year

A new purpose- an 'epilogue'

This is my first attempt at fanfic, and it's very short. It's set about a year or so after Voldemort's downfall- kind of an epilogue. Note the use of 'scar' as the final word! Hope you like it, please leave some feedback!

Disclaimer: these characters belong to the very talented J K Rowling, not me.

A New Purpose

After eleven years of living with the Dursleys, Harry Potter was used to feeling awkward and out of place. At that moment, however, he was wishing more than he ever had that he was somewhere else. The wall separating him from the hospital room was thick, but not thick enough that he couldn't hear what was going on inside.

"AAAAAAAaah...."

Hermione's screams met his unwilling ears. He heard a strangled noise from Ron- like a dying cat. Then a loud thump.

"RONALD WEASLEY! Get up right now. RIGHT NOW. I need you here, you useless ginger lump! AAAAAAAAAAaaah! I'll kill you, I swear I will! How dare you faint on me!"

Harry urged Ron to get up with all the power of his mind. He must have managed, for the next thing he heard was a weak muttering. This was easier to block out than Hermione's screams, but he heard a bit.

"...can't....wand..."

"I DON'T NEED A BLOODY WAND! I'll do it with my bare hands!"
That was it. No matter what they had said, he had to get out of there.

A few hours later, Harry was sitting in the waiting room downstairs with Ginny and Molly when Ron entered. He was extremely pale and seemed to be having trouble speaking. Ginny went over and hugged him.

"Finished, is she? Let’s go see them, then."
They each took one of Ron's arms and held him up as he was obviously in imminent danger of collapsing.

"Hi." Hermione looked up as they entered the room. Harry glanced at her briefly, then dropped his gaze to the bundle in her arms.

"Oh.." Ginny said softly and clutched his arm.

Ron had recovered at the sight of Hermione. She was flushed and obviously tired, but was looking much less homicidal than she had sounded before Harry had escaped from the corridor. The new father, suddenly confident, strode to his wife's side and took the baby from her.

"This.. this is my son." He looked amazed at the words.

--

Later, sitting in his flat, Harry pondered what it would be like to have a child of his own. Ron and Hermione, driven by their passion which had been bottled up for so long, had done everything fast. A wedding as soon as the war was over and a pregnancy several months after that. Harry had had a hard time adjusting to a world without Voldemort, which had left him feeling somewhat purposeless. Ginny had found this hard to deal with- she had forgiven him for not telling her about the horcruxes until the last minute, and they were free to be together, yet Harry was moping around like a flobberworm. Now they were back on track, and Harry wanted to prove to Ginny just how much she meant to him. She had helped him defeat the dark Lord, saved his life in more ways than the obvious, her touch had healed him more effectively than any potion, and she had put up with his moods and restlessness. Her spark was what had kept Harry going. Now, he needed no-one’s strength but his own, and he wanted to show Ginny that he wanted her and not just what she could give him. It was time to do something for her, the woman he loved.

--

“Ron, mate?” Harry asked a few weeks later, sauntering into the flat above Quality Quidditch Supplies.

“Oh. Hi, Harry….. what in bloody hell is that?” Ron asked, looking wildly around the room.

“That,” announced Hermione, “Is your darling son’s diaper. “And as I have yet to find a spell that can deal with it effectively, I suggest you do something about it. I would, but I’m late to meet Rita.”

“Oh sure, I’d love to. See you,” Ron trilled in a pleasantly sarcastic tone.

“There’s no spell for diaper changing?” Harry asked, amused.

“None that’s safe enough for our little Charlie’s precious behind, anyway.”

Ron sounded as if he was mocking his wife, but Harry knew that Ron would never use a spell on Charlie if there was even the slightest doubt it would harm him. His amazement that Hermione had married him and borne his child would last many, many years yet, and he loved his son to a degree that Harry couldn’t quite understand, having never known his own father.

“Right. Well, I wanted to ask your permission for something. Er… something I would have asked your Dad, if I could.”

Ron glanced at the little boy on the changing table and sadness tinged his expression momentarily.

“What’s that? You need a plug?”

“Well no, not just now, anyway. The magic thing has been working fine for the past nine years. I want…well, actually…..”

Harry had not been so nervous since asking Cho Chang to the Yule Ball in his fourth year. And that time period included hunting down and destroying an evil Dark Lord.

“I ……. I want to marry Ginny, that is if she wants to, of course.”

There was silence for a few seconds, broken by a gurgle from Charlie.

“Thought you’d never ask,” Ron exclaimed, beaming. “Of course you can marry her. Don’t tell her you asked my permission, though, don’t think she’d like that very much.”

Harry realised that he shouldn’t have expected any different. His best mate, Ron had stood by him through thick and thin, the thin at times significantly outweighing the thick. Ron had trusted Harry with his own life and Hermione’s and had considered it his duty to help Harry on what many would deem (and did) a ridiculous quest. To give Harry the right to wed his sister was nothing compared to what he had already done.

“Thanks, Ron! For everything, you know. Er.. do you need a hand with that?”

Ron was pulling Charlie’s diaper off with one hand whilst trying to summon a baby wipe from across the room with the other.

“No thanks mate,” he said cheerfully, dodging the wipes container that had gone off course. “Gotta get the hang of this sometime. Anyway, don’t you have some proposing to do?”

Harry, in spite of his gratefulness towards Ron at that moment, was quite pleased to leave the apartment and descend into Diagon Alley, which, comparatively, smelt like bed of roses.

--

It didn’t take Harry long to choose a ring. He knew exactly what Ginny would want.
That evening, he was seated in the Leaky Cauldron with a bottle of butterbeer, contemplating the ring in it’s red velvet box.

“Hi, Harry. How’s life?”

Harry looked up and saw Neville Longbottom plonking down onto the stool next to him

“Oh, hi Neville. It’s about to get interesting, I’d say. What do you think of this?” He enquired, holding out the box.

“That’s for Ginny, isn’t it?” Neville said softly. “She’ll love it.”

Neville’s opinion was something Harry held in high regard. He knew that Neville had at one point had quite a soft spot for the young Ginny Weasley, and his approval meant a lot.

“Yes, it is.”

They sat in amiable silence for a while.

“So what’s up with you, Neville? How’s St Mungo’s?”

Neville had been snapped up by the experimental remedies department at St Mungo’s after his excellent seventh year Herbology results and after word got out about the potion he had invented which had played a major part in Voldemort’s downfall.

“It’s great. Did you hear about the wizard who discovered a new species of Nominus in France? Apparently, it can be used to”-

“No, I didn’t,” Harry cut in. “And how’s Parvati?”

“She’s fine. Actually, I better get home, Harry. I’ll see you later.”

“Bye. I’ll tell you how it goes,” Harry said.

“Tell me how… oh, that.” Neville grinned. “Good luck.”

--

It had to be done that night, before Harry lost his nerve. As soon as he got home, he sent a message with Prongs to Ginny at The Burrow, asking her to come over right away. She arrived by Floo, her fiery hair settling around her shoulders as she stepped out of the fireplace.

“Harry? Oh, there you are. What’s wrong?” she asked, looking puzzled.

“Nothing’s wrong. Come and sit down.”

“Oh, of course. Nothing’s wrong. That’s why you send a patronus to tell me to come immediately. Freak a girl out, why don’t you.”

“Gin. Calm down. If I’d sent Hedwig, you wouldn’t have got the message in time to come over for dinner,” he said over his shoulder, leading her into the dining room.

“Harry, you have to ask yourself what’s more important: My sanity, or your dinner plans. Honestly, I….. why are there candles everywhere?”

“Just sit down, Ginny.”

She sat, looking dubiously at the candles, whose light reflected in her eyes. Harry suddenly couldn’t believe that he hadn’t done this sooner. She was truly the most beautiful woman he’d ever laid eyes on, and the reason he was alive today. He wanted to spend the rest of his life giving her what she had given him.

“Ginny, before we eat I want to ask you something.”

His hands were shaking and so was his voice. But when he looked into her eyes, he found the strength that he had relied on so many times. It was simple, really.

“Ginevra Weasley, will you marry me?”

She didn’t hesitate. Didn’t leave Harry any room for doubt, didn’t give him any time to worry. Like always, she was there exactly when he needed her.

“Yes. Yes, of course I’ll marry you, Harry.”

Harry sighed- not with relief, because he knew then that she would not have answered any other way. He sighed with happiness, with joy that came from the realisation creeping over him that he had gained the one thing he needed to be content for the rest of his life. He had been stupid to ever think that he had no purpose other than defeating Voldemort, because saving the wizarding world was nothing compared to this.

“Thank you, Gin” He said quietly, after a pause.

“What do you mean, thank you?” she asked, smiling. “I better go and send a message to mum, or else she’ll be asking why she didn’t hear about this until five whole minutes after it happened.”

Harry remembered the box in his jacket pocket.

“Hold on!” he exclaimed. “Molly can wait a few more seconds. I’ve got something for you.”

“Let me guess, earrings?”

“Ha ha. Give me your hand.”

She put her left hand in Harry’s and he slipped the ring onto her finger. He had known she would not want diamonds- it was a simple gold band, engraved with a lightning bolt just like his scar.

Favourite quote of the week:
Lazy, there's a chance but another day comes around
Unsatisfactory, walk on by and leaving on shaky ground
The red earth cries, it's gonna gonna gonna fall and come crashing down.
-Red Earth, last in Line

My fanfic- 'A New Purpose'

Last edited by marauderno5; October 20th, 2006 at 5:59 am.
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2006, 6:03 am
Third Year

Re: A new purpose- an 'epilogue'

Feedback! Please!

-Red Earth, last in Line

Old January 7th, 2007, 1:46 am
Third Year

Re: A new purpose- an 'epilogue'

rightio. If anyone does actually read this, please comment on it. Even if just to say that you hated it... I want to know if anyone has actually read it!

-Red Earth, last in Line

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts