Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis



 
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old November 6th, 2006, 8:19 pm
Nicole's Avatar
Nicole  Female.gif Nicole is offline
Curse Breaker
 
Joined: 5514 days
Location: On fluffy clouds
Age: 56
Posts: 6,527
The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

The Death Eaters. Lucius Malfoy, Bellatrix Black Lestrange, Avery, Nott, Mulciber, Walden Macnair, Crabbe, Goyle, Augustus Rookwood, Rodolphus Lestrange, Rabastan Lestrange, Amycus and Alecto (Carrow?), Antonin Dolohov, Gibbon (died in HBP), "big blond", Barty Crouch (Jr.), Igor Karkaroff (also died in HBP), Jugson, Peter "Wormtail" Pettigrew, Fenrir Greyback, Draco Malfoy, Evan Rosier, Severus Snape, Travers, Regulus Black, Wilkes and Yaxley. Possibly Narcissa Malfoy and Ludo Bagman, both known to have associated with Death Eaters (Narcissa, of course, married to one; Ludo passed Ministry secrets to one).

Here are some questions to start things off:

-What attracted them to Voldemort/Tom Riddle and/or his "cause"?

-What is their motivation for staying? For leaving?

-What do any of them have in common? Is there anything they all have in common?

-Obviously Fenrir wouldn't give a hoot about Purebloods that weren't werewolves, so his motivation to be on the side of the DEs/Voldemort may be different from the others. What motivates the DEs who are still on Voldemort's side of the war?

-What are the strengths and weaknesses of a group like the Death Eaters?


__________________

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:53 am
theotherwoman's Avatar
theotherwoman  Female.gif theotherwoman is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4777 days
Location: in Lucius' lap
Age: 32
Posts: 528
Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

WOOOOT first post!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
The Death Eaters. Lucius Malfoy, Bellatrix Black Lestrange, Avery, Nott, Mulciber, Walden Macnair, Crabbe, Goyle, Augustus Rookwood, Rodolphus Lestrange, Rabastan Lestrange, Amycus and Alecto (Carrow?), Antonin Dolohov, Gibbon (died in HBP), "big blond", Barty Crouch (Jr.), Igor Karkaroff (also died in HBP), Jugson, Peter "Wormtail" Pettigrew, Fenrir Greyback, Draco Malfoy, Evan Rosier, Severus Snape, Travers, Regulus Black, Wilkes and Yaxley. Possibly Narcissa Malfoy and Ludo Bagman, both known to have associated with Death Eaters (Narcissa, of course, married to one; Ludo passed Ministry secrets to one).
Holy! I didn't realize there were so many...seems kinda ominous, doesn't it?


Quote:
-What attracted them to Voldemort/Tom Riddle and/or his "cause"?
I think so much of that gets sorted into the ones who are leaders and the ones who are followers. It could be argued they're all followers because they all chase after LV, but within the group, I believe the ones who are the leaders fall to Lucius, Bella and Snape. Everyone else are either followers (Peter Pettigrew, McNair, the siblings etc.). The ones who are the 'leaders' joined Voldie because of the power issues: they wanted more power than they had already. The followers needed somewhere to belong. I think it's actually in the book somewhere that the DEs were a haven for the wizards who desired power and the ones who desired protection.
Specifically:
Lucius -- I honestly think he's got this Dark streak about him and working with the DEs lets him live out these fantasies of power, control and humiliation that he can't fulfill in normal company. True, he's got money outside of the DE circle but even his wealth can't afford him the chance to be this twisted.
Bella -- The girl is a true Black. I think it was an easy *trap* for her to fall in to because I think Sirius says that the family endorsed Voldie's ideas but they weren't all involved. Bella wanted to make a stand with her thoughts and joined on.
Snape -- Back to the power concept. His childhood/teen years were so fraught with humiliation and obediance that I think the DEs gave him a chance to have a certain amount of control over his life and what happened to him. He's that lonely kid that wanted to be part of the 'cool kids' club.
...All this aside from the fact these people seem to have been raised with strooooong beliefs in the importance of *good* breeding.

Quote:
-What is their motivation for staying? For leaving?
The only one who truly questioned why they were part of that group seems to Regulus. He got in too far and needed out. The others all seemed ready to stick with LV until he became Vapormort in which case they all ran away. Now that he's returned, it seems they are ready to follow him again. I figure the motivation came from the fact that LV let them live out things they wanted to do and say without having to do/say them alone. He provided them with their audience, support group and soapbox to get up there and preach their beliefs.

Quote:
-What do any of them have in common? Is there anything they all have in common?
Aside from a quest to rid the world of those other than purebloods, I can't think of anything...Although I do think that Lucius and Snape are very similar, as someone said in the Lucius thread, in that they are both very Machiavellian characters....and their dislike for Harry Potter!

Quote:
-What are the strengths and weaknesses of a group like the Death Eaters?
I think the fact that each of the ones in a position of *more* power have their own agenda, outside of LV's immediate plans. I think Lucius, Snape and Bella all have things they want to get out of the DEs, and out of life, so they stray from the DE path every once in awhile.
Lucius values his cushy life. He only returned to LV when he was sure he was back and powerful (ie someone had already done the dirty work of finding LV, caring for him, and razing him back to power)
Snape, I think, has his own agenda but what specifically,I don't know
Bella...well, in a word, Torture...

Yup...talk amongst y'selves!


__________________
Only 300x300 for images allowed
  #3  
Old November 7th, 2006, 4:04 pm
Rell's Avatar
Rell  Undisclosed.gif Rell is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5107 days
Location: intruder window
Posts: 2,919
Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

okay, death eaters
What attracted them to Voldemort/Tom Riddle and/or his "cause"?
It was probably diferent for all of them. Voldemort was I am sure, perceptive enough to attract people indivvidually with what would be persuasive to them.
- Those who were in school with Tom Riddle would have been attracted to his power and personality.
-Others were probably attracted by promises of power or wealth, or like Greyback, the ability to use one's less than honorable abilities.
-For others, Voldemort would have threatened, or lied to, especially if they had some sort of power that Voldemort could use.
-some may have been attracted by the underlying philosophy, but I doubt too many were persuaded this way.
-I could see people like Crabbe adn Goyle Srs. just wanting to be part of the "in" crowd.

What are the strengths and weaknesses of a group like the Death Eaters?
They are a closely bound group with an uncontested leader. There's probably not a lot of arguing - you just do what Voldemort says. But that also means a loss of creativity. Death Eaters would be worried to improvise to the situation, because going against Voldemort's ordes might get one crucioed or worse.

Voldemort also does not trust the death eaters, nor does he respect them. So although he has good discipline, this could backfire, as people who aren't trusted don't tend to stay trustworthy if given the opportunity.

------
I would also like to mention that most DE's are Slytherins, which also puts them at a disadvantage. First of all, there's little variety of personality type, and seconed of all, most are out for personal gain, not Voldemort's gain.


__________________
* * *
  #4  
Old November 7th, 2006, 9:36 pm
Liselle's Avatar
Liselle  Female.gif Liselle is offline
Knower of things
 
Joined: 5962 days
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,565
Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis


-What attracted them to Voldemort/Tom Riddle and/or his "cause"?

Depends on the person I think. For some its power or the promise of power pure and simple. For others maybe like Regulus Black it was almost seen as "the done thing to do" and there could have been a degree of family pressure and expectation put on them to join up even if not 100% convinced themselves.

-What is their motivation for staying? For leaving?
I think fear of reprisal is their motivation for staying. They suddenly realise that they have a lot to loose by trying to back out now....families can be targetted or homes and buildings blasted into nothing-ness.

Voldemort has for a very long time successfully hid from most of his followers that he is a half blood, maybe some of the death eaters wouldnt' take kindly to following a "mud blood".

-What do any of them have in common? Is there anything they all have in common?
Fear of sorts. Other than that I can't see what they'd have in common.


-Obviously Fenrir wouldn't give a hoot about Purebloods that weren't werewolves, so his motivation to be on the side of the DEs/Voldemort may be different from the others. What motivates the DEs who are still on Voldemort's side of the war?
Hope that they'll get what they signed up for or fear. I find it difficult to imagine people in this day and age agreeing with Voldemorts's edicts about the supremcy of purebloods although I know they're out there. For someone like Fudge who I think is in a league with the deatheaters if not an actual deatheater the promise of power and rule.


-What are the strengths and weaknesses of a group like the Death Eaters?

While the world isn't split into slytherins and everyone else and the world isn't split into death eaters and everyone else it seems that the vast majority of death eaters are from Slytherin. We know from the slytherins we meet like Slughorn and the sorting hat that Slytherins tend to operate best alone. They're not really out for team work and team building but for furthering their own aims. With a group like that doing your dirty work, control by fear will only do so much before they splinter off to do their own thing.


__________________
“Perhaps that is the secret. It is not what we do, so much as why we do it.”
  #5  
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:04 pm
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 5154 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,614
Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

The Death Eaters. Lucius Malfoy, Bellatrix Black Lestrange, Avery, Nott, Mulciber, Walden Macnair, Crabbe, Goyle, Augustus Rookwood, Rodolphus Lestrange, Rabastan Lestrange, Amycus and Alecto (Carrow?), Antonin Dolohov, Gibbon (died in HBP), "big blond", Barty Crouch (Jr.), Igor Karkaroff (also died in HBP), Jugson, Peter "Wormtail" Pettigrew, Fenrir Greyback, Draco Malfoy, Evan Rosier, Severus Snape, Travers, Regulus Black, Wilkes and Yaxley. Possibly Narcissa Malfoy and Ludo Bagman, both known to have associated with Death Eaters (Narcissa, of course, married to one; Ludo passed Ministry secrets to one).

Here are some questions to start things off:

-What attracted them to Voldemort/Tom Riddle and/or his "cause"?

They all had their own reasons, mainly they didn't fit in with other people, they were misfits so to speak, some of them were Half-Bloods like Voldemort. They wanted to go after all of the Mudbloods and Half-Bloods out of their ignorance and hatred and they went to Voldemort due to the fact that they couldn't do that on their own, they were followers not leaders.

-What is their motivation for staying? For leaving?

They couldn't go out on their own to do evil - like I said in the previous question, they're followers not leaders. For any of the DE's wanting to leave, they most likely had changed their opinion of Voldemort or were tired of getting bossed around.

-What do any of them have in common? Is there anything they all have in common?

They didn't fit in with other people, they were misfits so to speak, some of them were Half-Bloods like Voldemort.



-Obviously Fenrir wouldn't give a hoot about Purebloods that weren't werewolves, so his motivation to be on the side of the DEs/Voldemort may be different from the others. What motivates the DEs who are still on Voldemort's side of the war?

Just their pure hatred, ignorance, and the fact that they all crave power.

-What are the strengths and weaknesses of a group like the Death Eaters?

*Strengths

*the sheer size of the group itself, it would be very hard for the M.O.M. to be able to catch any of them

*their knowledge of dark magic


*Weaknesses

*their hatred of others


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
  #6  
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:52 am
guad's Avatar
guad  Undisclosed.gif guad is offline
Mrs Grawp
 
Joined: 5163 days
Location: Rocking with BAS DÖSE
Posts: 3,618
Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherwoman View Post
I think it's actually in the book somewhere that the DEs were a haven for the wizards who desired power and the ones who desired protection.
Dumbledore says so in HBP about Tom Riddles friends I think he describes the DE quite accurately:
HBP, A sluggish memory, 338'As he moved up the school, he gathered about him a group of dedicated friends; (...) This group had a kind of dark glamour withing the castle. They were a motley collection; a mixture of the weak seeking protection, the ambitious seeking some shared glory, and the thuggish, gravitating towards a leader who could show them more refinded forms of cruelty. In other words they were the forerunners of the Death Eaters and indeed some of them became the first Death Eaters after leaving Hogwarts.


So if there are three groups (more or less) we can see in some of them what motivation they have:
the weak seeking protection: Peter, Crabbe and Goyle (assuming they are like their sons).
the ambitous: Malfoys, Snape maybe, Karkarov
The cruel: Bellatrix, Fenrir, McNair, Dolohov.

The problem with the weak and ambitious is that they will switch sides as soon as they find something better to follow. They are not there because of real loyalty, but because it suits them better.

This is mainly one of the weaknesses of the DE. Not all of them are there because they are convinced. Also they don't have a group dynamic, they would stab each other in the back to gain power. They mistrust each other. Some of them only obey because of fear.

Their strength lies in their method of operating. They have no scrupuls, they do anything and they strike hidden. They are like terrorists in a way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
-What attracted them to Voldemort/Tom Riddle and/or his "cause"?
Depends. For some it was the possibiity of more power, for others the absolute admiration for Voldemort. Most of them share the pureblood ideology (though I am not sure about Peter and Fenrir). Regulus was probably influenced by the pureblood ideology of his parents and thought it was cool to join a wizard who actually does something about it.


__________________

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!


BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
  #7  
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:13 am
beth83's Avatar
beth83  Female.gif beth83 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 5393 days
Location: England
Age: 36
Posts: 782
Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

i think they are all power hungry. that's why they flocked to voldemort.

i tend to try and stay out of the whole snape thing but i think he has his own agenda and is only out for himself, therefore he goes to either the order or voldemort depending which can help him more at the time.

as a group i think thet have some very distrubing strenghts. don't like admitting it but you probably have to have a strong ability in magic to do they unforgivables. thou they're weakness has to be that of power.

i think draco feels that it's some sort of twisted family tradtion so has to join. i'm not sure that under his own devices he would have not gotten involved.

bellatrix is very mental distrubed from her time under the dementors and probably doesn't know any other way of living except for serving voldemort .


__________________
Pottermore: RoseStorm
Wand: Rowen and unicorn hair, 11 1/2 inches, slightly yielding. I also have a barn owl who I have rather unimaginatively named Barney!
Proud COS and Pottermore Hufflepuff!
  #8  
Old November 8th, 2006, 7:12 pm
snapegirl's Avatar
snapegirl  Female.gif snapegirl is offline
Dr Mrs The Monarch
 
Joined: 5170 days
Location: Spinner's End
Age: 42
Posts: 1,861
Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

-What attracted them to Voldemort/Tom Riddle and/or his "cause"?
I agree with the Dumbledore quote guad provided. I think the first Death Eaters were attracted to the "dark glamour." They saw Tom as a good leader and special because he's Slytherin's hier. I also think there are a number of pure-blood wizarding families that don't like half-bloods and muggleborns. The first Death Eaters would have learned this prejudice at home. Then when they went to Hogwart's, Tom stood up and I think pushed the other students into really believing in this prejudice.
What is their motivation for staying? For leaving?
Every Death Eater has a different motivation. But I think the two biggest reasons for staying is fear and true support of Voldemort. You just can't leave the Death Eaters, you will be killed. There are also those like Barty Crouch Jr and Bellatrix that really support and even worship Voldemort.
They leave because death is preferred to either doing horrible deeds or being tortured by Voldemort.
-What do any of them have in common? Is there anything they all have in common?
Well, they all seem to want some type of power or attention.
-What are the strengths and weaknesses of a group like the Death Eaters?
I think their strength is the way Voldemort puts fear into them. They will do what he wants or get tortured or killed. It may be horrible but it's effective.
Their weakness seems to be the mistrust of other Death Eaters. They are quick to sell each other out. There is no real bonds of friendship like in the Order.


  #9  
Old November 9th, 2006, 5:10 pm
witch1561  Female.gif witch1561 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4752 days
Location: Mars
Age: 31
Posts: 67
Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post
So if there are three groups (more or less) we can see in some of them what motivation they have:
the weak seeking protection: Peter, Crabbe and Goyle (assuming they are like their sons).
the ambitous: Malfoys, Snape maybe, Karkarov
The cruel: Bellatrix, Fenrir, McNair, Dolohov.

The problem with the weak and ambitious is that they will switch sides as soon as they find something better to follow. They are not there because of real loyalty, but because it suits them better.
I think this describes the Death Eaters very well, and it is the weak and the ambitious that are more likely to abandon Lord Voldemort should they find another source of protection/power. I am not entirely sure Crabbe and Goyle fit completely into the 'weak' category, I think they like cruelty, but to nothing like the same extent Bellatrix, for example, does.

Snape, however, is definitely in the 'ambitious' category. Although he can be horrible to people, he doesn't love causing pain - look at the end of HBP where he just calls the Death Eaters off rather than attacking the rest of the Order at the bottom of the tower. And even fighting Harry he doesn't try to hurt him until he really loses his temper - compare this with Bellatrix's behaviour in the Ministry in OotP.

The 'cruel' category, demonstraighted best by Bellatrix, is the only one that is really loyal to Voldemort - unless a new Dark Lord came along, but even then I'm not sure they would desert Voldemort. No-one in the Ministry or the Order is going to let them behave the way they can as Death Eaters, so these are the ones who are most likely to die with Voldemort or spend the rest of their lives in Azkaban - see Bellatrix's time between the two wars.


  #10  
Old November 9th, 2006, 5:34 pm
gertiekeddle's Avatar
gertiekeddle  Female.gif gertiekeddle is offline
Eldest Gruff
 
Joined: 5172 days
Location: Öelda, et sinust ma hoolin
Age: 42
Posts: 5,235
Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by witch1561 View Post
The 'cruel' category, demonstraighted best by Bellatrix, is the only one that is really loyal to Voldemort - unless a new Dark Lord came along, but even then I'm not sure they would desert Voldemort. No-one in the Ministry or the Order is going to let them behave the way they can as Death Eaters, so these are the ones who are most likely to die with Voldemort or spend the rest of their lives in Azkaban - see Bellatrix's time between the two wars.
That's agood point. Bellatrix actually decided kind of her own to be proud of spending years in Askaban. She seems to be over loyal as the whole 'cruel' group seems to (I like the three categories, too), but I wonder, what they would do, when the next Dark Lord, maybe even more cruel comes along. I expect at least some of them changing their sites in such a case, so I doubt they are really loyal to the person of Vldemort (although they adore him in ne way), they are loyal to the possibilities he offers them.


__________________
(Avatar by Alfonzo)


I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
  #11  
Old November 9th, 2006, 6:11 pm
gualsa's Avatar
gualsa  Female.gif gualsa is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5087 days
Location: Within reach of chocolate
Posts: 984
Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post
Dumbledore says so in HBP about Tom Riddles friends I think he describes the DE quite accurately.
So if there are three groups (more or less) we can see in some of them what motivation they have:
the weak seeking protection: Peter, Crabbe and Goyle (assuming they are like their sons).
the ambitous: Malfoys, Snape maybe, Karkarov
The cruel: Bellatrix, Fenrir, McNair, Dolohov.

The problem with the weak and ambitious is that they will switch sides as soon as they find something better to follow. They are not there because of real loyalty, but because it suits them better.

This is mainly one of the weaknesses of the DE. Not all of them are there because they are convinced. Also they don't have a group dynamic, they would stab each other in the back to gain power. They mistrust each other. Some of them only obey because of fear.

Their strength lies in their method of operating. They have no scrupuls, they do anything and they strike hidden. They are like terrorists in a way.

I agree


__________________
******Do It Today Because Tomorrow It Might Be Illegal *********
  #12  
Old November 10th, 2006, 9:10 am
witch1561  Female.gif witch1561 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4752 days
Location: Mars
Age: 31
Posts: 67
Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
I wonder, what they would do, when the next Dark Lord, maybe even more cruel comes along. I expect at least some of them changing their sites in such a case, so I doubt they are really loyal to the person of Voldemort (although they adore him in ne way), they are loyal to the possibilities he offers them.
I agree that they might question their loyalty, but I really don't think we're going to have a new Dark Lord in book 7 - Voldemort is quite enough to deal with, we don't need anyone worse! - and once Voldemort is defeated I think they will all be dead or in Azkaban for the rest of their lives, so for book 7 and the end of the Harry Potter series I think their loyalty to Voldemort is given. It's interesting to speculate, though...


  #13  
Old November 10th, 2006, 10:49 am
gertiekeddle's Avatar
gertiekeddle  Female.gif gertiekeddle is offline
Eldest Gruff
 
Joined: 5172 days
Location: Öelda, et sinust ma hoolin
Age: 42
Posts: 5,235
Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by witch1561 View Post
I agree that they might question their loyalty, but I really don't think we're going to have a new Dark Lord in book 7 - Voldemort is quite enough to deal with, we don't need anyone worse! - and once Voldemort is defeated I think they will all be dead or in Azkaban for the rest of their lives, so for book 7 and the end of the Harry Potter series I think their loyalty to Voldemort is given. It's interesting to speculate, though...
I agree, there will be no Dark Lord in the series. It was more a speculation to imagine their characters. Snape told Bella in HBP that he waited with doing something against Harry, because nobody knew if he maybe would be the new Lord. It was one of the single moments where Bella seemed to adopt his reasons. So I assume the loyality could change quite fast, because their character need the possibilities, not the person. But I'm with you that this won't happen in 7.


__________________
(Avatar by Alfonzo)


I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
  #14  
Old November 10th, 2006, 1:20 pm
witch1561  Female.gif witch1561 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4752 days
Location: Mars
Age: 31
Posts: 67
Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

I think it is far more interesting to consider what might make members of the other two groups switch sides, as we seem to agree that this is a possibility for HP7. Snape, of course, might have switched sides already or might not, but that is probably for discussing on another thread as people are very determined in their opinions. Peter (and maybe Crabbe or Goyle??) might well switched sides if Voldemort ceased to be 'the biggest bully in the playground' as I think Sirius described him in PoA. The most interesting, in my opinion, group is the 'ambitious', and I think they might prove very valuable to Harry if they are prepared to betray Voldemort. Both the Malfoys fit into this category, although I don't think Harry would trust Lucius Malfoy, at least, and it would take an awful lot for him to trust Draco, and there might be more we haven't found out about yet. Also, of course, none of them are likely to desert Voldemort unless they are pretty sure that Voldemort is going to lose, at least if they help Harry and the Order, and that life without Voldemort would be better than life with Voldemort all-powerfull. I think that the second part is easier, as I think that they are going to realise soon, if they haven't already, that Voldemort wants all power and is not going to be sharing it with them.


  #15  
Old November 10th, 2006, 4:33 pm
PotterPig's Avatar
PotterPig  Undisclosed.gif PotterPig is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4786 days
Posts: 421
Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

-What attracted them to Voldemort/Tom Riddle and/or his "cause"?

I think a lot of them were attracted because they wanted blood purity. That was the reason the Blacks gave for initially supporting him. They may also have been attracted to the power that he could give them. I am reminded of Quirrellmort saying "There is only power."

-What is their motivation for staying? For leaving?

I think that, like Bellatrix, many of them think they are Voldemort's right hand man. It actually would be a good way to ensure loyalty. Make everyone think they are the most important ones. They would stay because the crave the power they get and also because it is safe to stay. Look at what happens to those who desert. They get tortured and killed. Regulus and Karkaroff are examples of this. That would make me want to stay.
I think that the reason for leaving would be that they realize what Voldemort is truly after and believe it is wrong. The Blacks are also another example of this. We really only have Regulus and Karkaroff for examples of why they would leave. Of course many "left" when he disappeared because they didn't want to go to Azkaban.

-What do any of them have in common? Is there anything they all have in common?

It seems that most of them are wealthy and have or at least had powerful positions in the Ministry. They are all power hungry. I think that regardless of whether they are pure blood they all hate muggles.
The two half-bloods we know of, Snape and Voldemort, seem to hate muggles because of the way their fathers treated their mothers. It seems interesting that they would hate the muggle, when it should be the other way around. Their mothers should have been powerful enough to stop themselves from getting hurt. They could have grown up hating magic for its shortcomings.

B]-Obviously Fenrir wouldn't give a hoot about Purebloods that weren't werewolves, so his motivation to be on the side of the DEs/Voldemort may be different from the others. What motivates the DEs who are still on Voldemort's side of the war?[/b]

I think some are motivated by power and other are motivated by fear.
-What are the strengths and weaknesses of a group like the Death Eaters?

Their strengths are that they have power and influence over the rest of the wizarding community. I think that the weakness is that given the chance they will all turn on each other. We saw this after the first war when they were accusing each other left and right. They may be loyal to Voldemort, but the loyalty ends there.


  #16  
Old November 10th, 2006, 6:10 pm
Fuelpagan's Avatar
Fuelpagan  Male.gif Fuelpagan is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5206 days
Location: Winterfell
Age: 44
Posts: 1,187
Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by witch1561 View Post
I agree that they might question their loyalty, but I really don't think we're going to have a new Dark Lord in book 7 - Voldemort is quite enough to deal with, we don't need anyone worse! - and once Voldemort is defeated I think they will all be dead or in Azkaban for the rest of their lives, so for book 7 and the end of the Harry Potter series I think their loyalty to Voldemort is given. It's interesting to speculate, though...
I disagree. The passages where Snape states that dark arts are like a many headed monster where once you cut off one head another, more powerful one, takes its place. This is in the book for a reason. Once Voldemort is gone ,the Death Eaters are not going to just fall apart. They will regroup with a new leader. Especially because JKR will probably have the Death Eaters close to their goal when Harry finally defeats Voldemort. They are not going to come so close just to give up because Voldemort is now gone. They will want to complete the mission and have true power over the wizarding world.


__________________
  #17  
Old November 10th, 2006, 7:07 pm
kingwidgit's Avatar
kingwidgit  Female.gif kingwidgit is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 5378 days
Location: Rockin' the cradle...
Age: 49
Posts: 4,948
Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
-What attracted them to Voldemort/Tom Riddle and/or his "cause"?
Ah, well, I think Dumbledore gave us the best, and most descriptive reasons for it.
HBP, A Sluggish MemoryThey were a motley collection; a mixture of the weak seeking protection, the ambitious seeking some shared glory, and the thuggish gravitating toward a leader who could show them more refined forms of cruelty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
-What is their motivation for staying?
The same reasons that they joined: safety, glory, enjoyment of inflicting cruelty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
For leaving?
We only know of two that did.

Igor Karkaroff, who, following Voldemort's rebirth, ran out of fear of reprisal.
Regulus Black, suspected of discovering a Horcrux, implied that he got cold feet about what he was being asked to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
-What do any of them have in common? Is there anything they all have in common?
The only thing that they all seem to have in common is a very thorough knowledge of the Dark Arts and how to use them, being secretive.


__________________
  #18  
Old November 10th, 2006, 8:54 pm
SKasparRollins  Male.gif SKasparRollins is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4762 days
Posts: 959
Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

The Death Eaters. Lucius Malfoy, Bellatrix Black Lestrange, Avery, Nott, Mulciber, Walden Macnair, Crabbe, Goyle, Augustus Rookwood, Rodolphus Lestrange, Rabastan Lestrange, Amycus and Alecto (Carrow?), Antonin Dolohov, Gibbon (died in HBP), "big blond", Barty Crouch (Jr.), Igor Karkaroff (also died in HBP), Jugson, Peter "Wormtail" Pettigrew, Fenrir Greyback, Draco Malfoy, Evan Rosier, Severus Snape, Travers, Regulus Black, Wilkes and Yaxley. Possibly Narcissa Malfoy and Ludo Bagman, both known to have associated with Death Eaters (Narcissa, of course, married to one; Ludo passed Ministry secrets to one).

Lucius, Avery, Nott, Mulciber, Macnair, Crabbe, Goyle, Rookwood, the Lestrange brothers, and Jugson were captured after their failed attempt to get the prophecy.

Yaxley and the "big blond" may be the same person.

Wormtai, Draco and Snape's allegiances are both still in question, as are Regulus Black's (even though he's dead). Narcissa arguably has questionable allegiances as well. I think Bagman made it clear he was innocent, because he didn't know Rookwood was a Death Eater. Not even Barty Crouch Sr knew this until Karkaroff told him.

Crabbe or Goyle Sr may be the Death Eater that got his head blasted into the Time Turner thing. According to Wikipedia there are only a total of four known Death Eaters at large (not counting the Carrows whose identity is not known). This number seems most dubious to me, there must be more.


Here are some questions to start things off:

-What attracted them to Voldemort/Tom Riddle and/or his "cause"?


It is important to note that Sirius says that many Death Eaters were, indeed, blackmailed or tortured into doing so. This is one of the factors that makes it possible for Snape, Draco, Wormtail or Narcissa (possibly all of them) to officially switch sides in Book 7.

It's easy to see why Snape became a Death Eater so soon after leaving Hogwarts (canon supports him being 'officially' a Death Eater from the ages of 18-21.) Knows tons of Dark Magic, has a bit of a natural prejudice towards Muggles and non-pureblood supporters (due to his experiences with his dad and James and Sirius). It's not that hard to see why Regulus Black was a Death Eater either. The real question is why or if Regulus or Snape (or both) switched sides. Draco and Narcissa are examples of two who were actually blackmailed into supporting the Dark Lord. Pettigrew is in a similar situation, although his defection to the Dark side was entirely based on cowardice.

In all I think that Voldemort's confirmed "actual supporters" include Lucius, Bellatrix, Avery, Nott, Mulciber, Macnair, Rookwood, the Lestrange brothers, Dolohov, Barty Crouch Jr, and Greyback. Lucius was easily seduced, without the need for blackmail: rich, pureblood family with very Victorian values. The Lestranges and Blacks were as well. Avery, Nott and Mulciber were Tom Riddle's "friends" at Hogwarts (Dumbledore confirms this in HBP.) Macnair, as Hagrid says, seems to be obsessed with killing, and Voldemort's comments to him seem to support this ("Lord Voldemort will provide better victims for you soon, I promise"). I don't know what motivated Rookwood to join, but if he chose to go to Azkaban without protest rather than betray Voldemort, he seems to be loyal. I can't figure out what exactly drove Crouch Jr to join, but he certainly was very valuable to Voldemort, and never stopped supporting him. Greyback, like Macnair, was driven to join Voldemort because of his promise to him for victims (although Voldemort might double-cross him in Book 7 when he figures out that the werewolves want to make every wizard a werewolf.)

-What is their motivation for staying? For leaving?

See above. I think to be a true Death Eater, you have to be completely immersed in evil, with no emotional or psychological effects. This is why I think Snape, Narcissa and Draco are on the good side.

-What do any of them have in common? Is there anything they all have in common?

Not much. They weren't co-ordinated at all when they were in Hogwarts, particularly Greyback. They all want power. That's the one thing they have in common.

-Obviously Fenrir wouldn't give a hoot about Purebloods that weren't werewolves, so his motivation to be on the side of the DEs/Voldemort may be different from the others. What motivates the DEs who are still on Voldemort's side of the war?

See first question.

-What are the strengths and weaknesses of a group like the Death Eaters?

The strengths supposedly lie in the fact that the most loyal Death Eaters do not care about physical, emotional or psychological effects on their persona. The principle weakness is how disoriented they seem to be. Greyback had to be restrained during the attack on Hogwarts, and many didn't seem to want him there at all. They seemed to have trouble following Lucius' instructions in the Ministry as well.

I think we'll see more of Voldemort's other supporters in Book 7 (giants, Dementors, goblins (?) werewolves, Inferi, etc). Harry's been dealing with Death Eaters for three books and none of them have really been much of a match (when you look at the big picture, anyway).


__________________
  #19  
Old November 10th, 2006, 9:57 pm
witch1561  Female.gif witch1561 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4752 days
Location: Mars
Age: 31
Posts: 67
Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelpagan View Post
Once Voldemort is gone ,the Death Eaters are not going to just fall apart. They will regroup with a new leader. Especially because JKR will probably have the Death Eaters close to their goal when Harry finally defeats Voldemort. They are not going to come so close just to give up because Voldemort is now gone. They will want to complete the mission and have true power over the wizarding world.
I have two things to say to this, one from the story itself and one from JKR's trying to write a book:

1) If a new Dark Lord appears during book 7 after the defeat of Voldemort we are either going to end with a new Dark Lord killing people and no way of defeating him (or her), and that would be a rubbish ending, or Harry has to defeat the new Dark Lord as well as Voldemort and we won't have just one HP7, it will be a whole new series, and somehow I don't think that this is going to happen. In fact I am fairly sure JKR has said that this is the last book. There just isn't time to defeat two Dark Lords in one book.

2) Once Voldemort is defeated, the Death Eaters that survive are going to get sent to prison. The Death Eaters that survived the first war didn't just regroup under a new leader once Voldemort vanished, did they? The clever ones might convince the Ministry they are innocent, and the others will go to prison and I don't think they're all going to escape immediately, given that the ones caught at the end of OotP haven't got out in a year. And they can't really do a lot in prison, as Snape points out in 'Spinner's End'

So although I agree that there will be someone else eventually, there always is, we can discount the possibility of a new Dark Lord in this series. If you have an explanation for one, please tell us, but as far as I can see it just isn't possible.


  #20  
Old November 10th, 2006, 11:42 pm
RemusLupinFan's Avatar
RemusLupinFan  Female.gif RemusLupinFan is offline
I want to believe
 
Joined: 5597 days
Location: The office in the basement
Posts: 5,897
Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

-What attracted them to Voldemort/Tom Riddle and/or his "cause"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit View Post
They were a motley collection; a mixture of the weak seeking protection, the ambitious seeking some shared glory, and the thuggish gravitating toward a leader who could show them more refined forms of cruelty.
I like this quote because I agree with the different groupings of Death Eaters, who all joined for different reasons. And of course I expect some Death Eaters belonged to more than one group.
  • Protection - example is Wormtail and maybe Crabbe Sr and Goyle Sr. This group would have been attracted to the prospect of following a powerful leader whose power would not allow them to be touched by others. In this group, I think people would have wanted to join the Death Eaters to feel like they belong to something powerful, since I feel that the desire to belong is a form of protection.
  • Ambitous - examples are Snape, Lucius, Bellatrix. This is the group who would have joined for the promise of gaining power and prestige, and furthering their other ambitious goals.
  • Cruelty - examples are Bellatrix, Fenrir and McNair. This group of people joined Voldemort to exercise their evil inclinations. We are shown several times how Bellatrix loves to cause others pain with the Cruciatus curse. And Fenrir speaks for himself, as his aim is to infect everyone he can with lycanthropy. As for McNair, he takes pleasure in killing people - he certainly was looking forward to axing Buckbeak. Voldemort's ruthlessness likely attracted this group.
  • Principle - example might be Bella. This group isn't mentioned in the quote, but I think it might be valid. There must be a certain number of DE's who join because they truly believe in Voldemort's principles and want to help him achieve his goals. There may be a small percentage of DE's who aren't thinking so much about their own goals but who see Voldemort's goals as something they truly want to achieve.
  • Forced/tricked - examples are Draco, possibly Narcissa and maybe to a degree Wormtail. This group is also not in the quote, but I think that some of Voldemort's followers were either forced or deceived into serving Voldemort. I believe that some people might not have chosen to become a Death Eater if circumstances had been different.

What is their motivation for staying? For leaving?
For staying, most of the Death Eaters are likely motivated by fear. For some like Bellatrix, they are fiercely loyal to Voldemort and his ideals. Other motivational factors are the thought of rewards if Voldemort succeeds, the desire for protection, and the desire to belong to a "hip" and powerful crowd. Reasons for leaving are probably out of conscience (like Regulus, who couldn't do what Voldemort asked) and as was mentioned earlier, fear of a reprisal (Karkaroff).

What do any of them have in common? Is there anything they all have in common?
I'd say they all have in common being followers to some degree, since they all obey Voldemort. All of them likely have in common that they want something out of Voldemort's regime: power, riches, prestige, protection, etc. Most of them are power-hungry and like to command others to do their will (such as Lucius, Bellatrix and possibly Snape).

Obviously Fenrir wouldn't give a hoot about Purebloods that weren't werewolves, so his motivation to be on the side of the DEs/Voldemort may be different from the others. What motivates the DEs who are still on Voldemort's side of the war?
Likely the promise of wealth, power, and whatever other rewards Voldemort promised them motivates the Death Eaters.

What are the strengths and weaknesses of a group like the Death Eaters?
Their strength comes in several forms I think:
  • Their numbers - Voldemort has a large base of followers
  • Their willingness to kill, torture and maim without a second thought - they are a very cruel lot
  • Due to their cruelty the Death Eaters culminate a lot of fear in the wizarding community - seeing the Dark Mark over one's house was a wizard's absolute worst nightmare
  • Their knowledge of the Dark Arts - I'm sure there are many dark spells that most wizards have no knowledge of
But they do have weaknesses:
  • They do not work together as a team - though they do work for a common goal, I got the feeling that the Death Eaters mainly operate alone
  • They don't have a sense of loyalty to or trust for one another - for the most part I believe the Death Eaters wouldn't really look out for each other the same way members of the Order would
  • The Death Eaters aren't fighting for survival - they're fighting for domination, but their way of life isn't threatened in the same way and to the same degree as the rest of the wizarding world, who in my view is fighting for freedom


__________________

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 3:14 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.