Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Hufflepuff House : Group Character Analysis

Old November 12th, 2006, 5:25 pm
Curse Breaker

Hufflepuff House : Group Character Analysis

This thread was suggested by several members, but put together through the efforts of Fuelpagan.

Hufflepuff
Sorting Hat, Year 1You might belong to Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
and unafraid to toil;

Sorting Hat, Year 4For Hufflepuff, hard workers were
Most worthy of admission;

Sorting Hat, Year 5Said Hufflepuff, "I'll teach the lot,
and treat them just the same."
. . .
Good Hufflepuff, she took the rest,
And taught them all she knew

Albus Dumbledore, GoF Ch.37"Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff House," Dumbledore continued, "He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play."

Some questions to start the discussion:

Is there a predominant quality that a Hufflepuff must have in order to be a Hufflepuff?

Hufflepuff House seems to be the collection house for those that don't fit in the other houses, is this the case? Could it be a collection of students who don't fit in the other houses plus those specifically chosen for Hufflepuff house?

What Hufflepuffs do you think will be key players in the last book?

What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Hufflepuffs would decide differently?

What are the significance of Earth and the Badger to Hufflepuff?

What is the significance of JKR splitting the students into classes and why did she make Hufflepuff House from a literary perspective?

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2006, 8:23 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: Hufflepuff House : Group Character Analysis

Is there a predominant quality that a Hufflepuff must have in order to be a Hufflepuff? Hufflepuff House seems to be the collection house for those that don't fit in the other houses, is this the case? Could it be a collection of students who don't fit in the other houses plus those specifically chosen for Hufflepuff house?
I really like Hufflepuff house and wish we saw more of the Hufflepuff characters. We see so little of them that it is hard to make any determinations about what their primary values would be. They do, from Harry's perspective, seem to be the misfit wizards. To me, from the descriptions we've been given by JKR, a chosen Hufflepuff would value fairness and equality above everything else.

We've seen several Hufflepuff's in just about every book - Ernie, Justin, Hannah, Zacharias, and Susan. While I don't think any of them will be major players, I expect we will see them again. Some have speculated that Zacharias might be Hufflepuff's ancestor (since he has the same last name as Hepizbah) and that Susan may play a larger role as her family has suffeed so much at Voldemort's hand.

Ithink Hufflepuff's tend to be more grounded than the students in the other houses. A badger lives in a burrow in the earth. Badgers are also firece protectors of their homes and their young.

What is the significance of JKR splitting the students into classes and why did she make Hufflepuff House from a literary perspective?
I think she may split the houses to teach us about bias - how you can judge someone based on little more than which house they are in. From a literealy perspective, I thinkthat as a parent JKR may have read quite a few children's stories and I thinkt he house came from the story of the Three Little Pigs because every time I hear the name Hufflepuff, I'm reminded of the Big Bad Wolf saying "I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow this house down!" Remember that the pig who overcame the big bad wolf was the one who toiled the hardest and built the strongest house. And in the end, he invited his brothers to come live with him.

Old November 12th, 2006, 10:34 pm
I want to believe

Is there a predominant quality that a Hufflepuff must have in order to be a Hufflepuff?
Though I believe it’s mainly a combination of the traits valued by Helga Hufflepuff, if I was to pick an overwhelming trait I think I’d pick a sense of justness/fairness/equality. The fact that Helga Hufflepuff was willing to “teach the lot and treat them just the same” seems like the most important part of being a Hufflepuff – being willing to treat others fairly and justly.

Hufflepuff House seems to be the collection house for those that don't fit in the other houses, is this the case? Could it be a collection of students who don't fit in the other houses plus those specifically chosen for Hufflepuff house?
Many people consider Hufflepuff the “left-over” House because of the way the Sorting Hat says that Helga vowed to “teach the lot”. I don’t really believe this is true, though I do believe that Helga Hufflepuff was the most tolerant and inclusive of the Founders. Perhaps to a degree Hufflepuff took any other student who didn’t seem to fit into the other three Houses, but for the most part I believe that all Hufflepuffs display at least one of the traits Hufflepuff valued to a certain degree.

• Susan Bones – we’ve heard a lot about her family (especially Amelia)
  • Zacharias Smith – could be descended from Hephzibah and thus could be tied in with Hufflepuff’s Cup
  • Ernie Macmillan, Justin Finch-Fletchley, and Hannah Abbott might have minor roles or no role since we don’t really hear too much about them; also Professor Sprout kind of fits in this category

What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Hufflepuffs would decide differently?
In general, I’d say Hufflepuffs would be more likely to stop and think things through before rushing into a situation; I think they’d operate by the motto “slow and steady wins the race”. They’d also (presumably) be the most tolerant people, so they’d be willing to include and accept as many people as possible. They’d probably also be fairer judges of people and situations than those from other Houses.

Hufflepuffs seem to be very down-to-Earth people, being loyal and hard-workers. The Badger symbolizes many things in different cultures, such as supernatural power, mischief, wisdom, caring, bravery, perseverance, protection, aggressiveness, and passion/drive. I’d say the most relevant characteristics that fit with Hufflepuff nature are probably passion/drive and perseverance, since that speaks to the hard-working nature of Hufflepuffs. But many of the other characteristics are fitting as well.

As I mentioned earlier, many people believe that Hufflepuff is the House for people who don’t belong into other houses. And as I said above, I believe this is an incorrect assessment because Hufflepuff does value certain characteristics, such as loyalty, fairness, and being hard-working. But Hufflepuff is definitely different from all the others in that Helga Hufflepuff seemed to be the most tolerant of the other Founders (with Slytherin being the least tolerant). I really like monster_mom’s parallel between “The Three Little Pigs” and Hufflepuff House.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore

Last edited by RemusLupinFan; November 12th, 2006 at 10:38 pm.
Old November 13th, 2006, 1:24 am
Fourth Year

To add my 2 bits...

I always thought that you wound up in Hufflepuff if there were no other really *strong* qualites to put you elsewhere; that's to say, no one personality trait dominates the rest. You're brave, but not super brave. You're smart, but not really smart. You're cunning but overtly so. Almost like, it could be argued, you're the most balanced of the houses....

I like the assessment that yes, Hufflepuff does get some of the, for lack of a better term, *leftovers*, but there are some people who are supposed to be there for their strong sense of justice and equality. As I said above, I think it comes down to all the students traits being fairly even, where one trait doesn't come out predominately, especially in times of stress.

I'm not sure there will be much Hufflepuff involvement. From what I can deduce of the *major characters*, I can't discern many Hufflepuffs. Mostly Gryffindors. Some Ravenclaws. Slytherins to balance things...but minimal Hufflepuff involvement.

I like RemusLupinFan's assertation of Hufflepuffs being the ones with the motto 'slow and steady wins the race'. I akin them more to similar reactions to Ravenclaw in the sense they'll think and then do, whereas I find Slytherins and Gryffindors more impulsive.

Going back to the Zodiac with the 'Earth' quality, Earth encompasses Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn, signs known for being strong willed, methodical, cautious, responsible, practical and hard-working. These being the good qualities that sum up a Hufflepuff, from what I can tell.
As for Badgers, I just go back to the animal being ones that don't go looking for trouble but make for a formidable opponent when challenged.

The creation of Hufflepuff needed to offset all the strong personalities, particularly in Gryffindor and Slytherin, IMHO. There needed to be those who would be alright with being the backseat-best-friend status; that's to say, a group who doesn't always need to be in the forefront. You've got Gryffindors flexing their muscles, Ravenclaws showing off their smarts and Slytherins being purveyors of great cunning...a little bit of balance is good for the lot of them!

Last edited by theotherwoman; November 13th, 2006 at 1:25 am. Reason: readability
Old November 13th, 2006, 3:37 am
First Year

Only one quick observation...Cedric Diggory sure seemed like a Gryffindor candidate to me.

Old November 13th, 2006, 9:11 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBlack View Post
Only one quick observation...Cedric Diggory sure seemed like a Gryffindor candidate to me.
I would disagree here. In POA after the Quidditch match was over, Cedric begged to have a replay done instead of just taking the Quidditch victory as it was. I cannot imagine the Gryffindor characters insisting on being fair even if it would deprive them of the chance to win the Quidditch cup. Cedric was a Hufflepuff because he prized being fair above everything else.

Old November 13th, 2006, 9:15 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Cedric is also seems to be incredibly honest, which is a hufflepuff trait. the gryffindors we have seen have not always been as honest.

Old November 14th, 2006, 3:37 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonna View Post
Cedric was a Hufflepuff because he prized being fair above everything else.
Good point, though I'm a bit uncomfortable with the corollary that the Gryffindors would prefer an unearned victory that they knew was wrong over a fairly determined loss against a worthy opponent. (Now against the Slytherins -- that's a different story, perhaps!) Maybe Cedric combined the best of both Houses.

Old November 14th, 2006, 2:54 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Why would Cedric seem more like a Gryffindor candidate than a Hufflepuff? We don't really see any acts of great courage from him - he plays Quidditch, he's good looking, he asks Cho out before Harry, seems to be confident, is honest and helps Harry with the egg clue, and gives up eternal glory in favor of sharing with Harry because they've both equally earned it, and then he dies. While it took a lot of bravery to agree to share eternal glory, the rest of what we see of him is just a nice, honest guy.

Old November 14th, 2006, 9:11 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_mom View Post
Why would Cedric seem more like a Gryffindor candidate than a Hufflepuff? We don't really see any acts of great courage from him - he plays Quidditch, he's good looking, he asks Cho out before Harry, seems to be confident, is honest and helps Harry with the egg clue, and gives up eternal glory in favor of sharing with Harry because they've both equally earned it, and then he dies. While it took a lot of bravery to agree to share eternal glory, the rest of what we see of him is just a nice, honest guy.
I think you're underestimating Cedric a bit. He was chosen from all the school to represent Hogwarts in the Triwizard Cup and that needed a lot of courage - facing dragons etc. He & Harry seem very alike to me - in the maze, both of them insist on helping others when they're in trouble even at the expense of winning it themselves. The argument between them - you take the Cup! No, you take it! seems to sum this up and to me Harry is showing a lot of Hufflepuff characteristics here, rather than the other way round.

I do get the impression Cedric was a bit unusual for Hufflepuff though. They are very loyal, very fair, but not usually great achievers.
GoF The Third Task
Cedric was serious. He was walking away from the sort of glory Hufflepuff house hadn't had in centuries.

Cedric's presence as seeker for their Quidditch team put them in the running for the Quidditch cup. He was obviously very bright (he was good at loads of magic in the tournament.) He would probably have been welcomed in any house. But the sorting hat thought he'd do best in Hufflepuff, which to me suggests that it's not a house for left-overs and losers but one with a real value for honesty, integrity, (look at Ernie coming up to Harry to declare his conviction that Harry wasn't lying in OotP), determination, hard work and loyalty not just to your friends but to everyone. That's something to be admired.

Their House mistress is Prof Sprout: a witch who is very practical, doesn't care about appearances, works hard, has no favourites, works with the good solid earth and its magical plants - without her plants much in potions and healing couldn't be achieved. She underpins the more obvious staff. She characterises Hufflepuff for me.

My only queston is - why wasn't Neville put in Hufflepuff? He has so many of their characteristics.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old November 15th, 2006, 4:44 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I think that hufflepuff is either one of the most misunderstood OR misrepresented houses. They are supposed to be hardworking, honest etc, but instead, (aside from cedric), all we see are a bunch of loser idiots. No one wants to be in hufflepuff. Malfoy even said he'd go home if placed there - he didn't even say that about gryffindor! so what happened to hufflepuff, and why are they so stereotyped? They hardly ever get any "glory", yet after working so hard, they ought to see some benefit!

Old November 15th, 2006, 5:52 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
I think that hufflepuff is either one of the most misunderstood OR misrepresented houses. They are supposed to be hardworking, honest etc, but instead, (aside from cedric), all we see are a bunch of loser idiots. No one wants to be in hufflepuff. Malfoy even said he'd go home if placed there - he didn't even say that about gryffindor! so what happened to hufflepuff, and why are they so stereotyped? They hardly ever get any "glory", yet after working so hard, they ought to see some benefit!
This isn't true. It is how some people (like Malfoy) speak of the house, but I wouldn't say it is what we see. In addition to Cedric, other Hufflepuff students include:

Susan Bones, a member of the DA, and one of the students who hexes Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle at the end of OotP.
Ernie MacMillan, who is shown to be very hard-working, and seems to be in all Harry's classes in HBP, indicating he must have the grades to show for it. He is also a member of the DA. Unless McGonagall (or the new Headperson) gives it to Harry, I would expect Ernie to be the next Head Boy, if school is open. I can think of no other boy in that year better suited for the position.
Zacharias Smith is also a Hufflepuff. He is disliked by Harry and his friends, though he, too, was a member of the DA. Personally, I find his attitude somewhat admirable, if tactless.
Hannah Abbott is also a Hufflepuff, DA member, and another student who hexed Malfoy at the end of OotP.
Justin FInch-Fletchley, another Hufflepuff member of the DA.

I can't actually think of a loser idiot from that House, unless you disagree with me about Smith...
The members we meet value fairness and/or schoolwork enough to secretly defy Umbridge, and side with Harry against Draco. Ernie also seems to be an excellent student, if not possessed of the natural talents of a Harry or Hermione.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old November 15th, 2006, 4:43 pm
Curse Breaker

I agree! I think Hufflepuff is misunderstood and unjustly maligned by others. I think Malfoy would have been disappointed if he'd been sorted into Hufflepuff because he thinks he is better than everyone else and deserves better treatment then everyone else whereas Hufflepuff's generally think everyone is equal.

I've wonderred whether book 7 will have sort of a rise of Hufflepuff's values slant to it. From what we've seen, the admonitions of the Sorting hat and Dumbledore himself are rise up and join together. It seems unlikely that Slytherins would seek this end, but Hufflepuff's seem like the perfect people to lead the wizarding world into a more accepting society. It just seems like the only way the wizarding world is going to rid itself of its racist attitudes is to adopt a more Hufflepuffish stand.

I think Neville was put into Gryffindor because he posesses great courage. He visits his parents (who no longer remember him), stands up to the trio and Malfoy in SS/PS, wanders the dark hallways of Hogwarts to warn Harry about Malfy setting him up in SS/PS, even takes on Malfoy on OOtP, willingly joins the DA, and fights in just about every battle Harry has been involved in. While he does posess many the traits found in Hufflepuff's, he posesses courage in spades.

Old November 15th, 2006, 9:33 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
My only queston is - why wasn't Neville put in Hufflepuff? He has so many of their characteristics.
I agree with you so much! Maybe he and Cedric should've switched houses...?

Old November 16th, 2006, 10:35 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Is Ernie Macmillan the archetypal Hufflepuff then, and Cedric exceptional? Ernie is honest, dependable and will make a good Head Boy (I think it would be him even if Harry was there). He can be a bit stodgy sometimes but he did risk joining the DA so he's not that bad. He can be a bit pompous like Percy but I don't see him going against his family for the sake of the Ministry nor do I see him taking any advantage of his position as prefect - he never makes a big thing of it.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old November 17th, 2006, 4:27 am
Second Year

I think some of the characteristics in houses can overlap eg. Slytherin need courage(the Gryffindor characteristic) to undertake ambitious causes and vice versa. Slytherins need knowledge (Ravenclaw trait) to be successful in any feat they undertake as do Grffindors since making courageous attempts are nothing short of foolish if stepped into blindly. Also the courage associated with Gryfindor can be required in everyone since some of the most critical decisions in life require courage to persevere with, much like the 'easy vs right' choices that is a theme in the books which can be a combination of Gryfindor and Hufflepuff. Hard work and honesty are the best qualities that imo should dominate in Hufflepuff and as some say 'everything worth gaining in life requires hard work' and that cna be seen in the other houses as to.

I think the students are those that share the same values Helga Hufflepuff did; to treat everyone as equals. It can also a matter of treating others in a just and honest manner as well as with equality. In a way they all choose to be Hufflepuff as the key is to be treated equal despite small differences, since everyone is different to the next person, that is why we are the same and its something we will have in common. I dont think its a losers house it only has a student with Losers Lurgy(sorry for lame joke):/

I don't think any Hufflepuff students will play even a secondary role in the last book, merely background roles. Ernie may become Head Boy but that may jsut be mentioned in passing. Hufflepuff had made a showing in GoF with Cedric as Harry's rival and friend and with his death i dont believe any individual Hufflepuffs will have further significant mentions. The only mention i predict will be as a plot/theme since the cup would be a horcrux so thats as far as i think it will reach, so a history may appear idk

I honestly have no clue. Maybe if Marietta had characteristics such as loyalty she may not have exposed the DA but arguably she could have been being loyal to her parents value of sticking to the rules. As for characters with actual significance i doubt a different house crest could alter the choices they make.

No eye deer again(and another lame joke while im at it) Ive met people who are familiar with the concept of Mother Earth and that portrays a nurturing trait which can be linked to Helga Hufflepuff but im grasping at the weakest of straws here

My theory was that it was just filler to have people separate by house. In keeping with the theme of elements it was expressed as Earth,Air,Fire, Water always in that order and although that itself had no meaning; in the HP books before Harry arrived that was how Houses could be seen. If i'm not mistaken at the end of Harrys 1st year Hufflepuff had the least points, Ravenclaw was above that, with Slytherin and Gryffindor tangled in the top position. Also in my pov houses can be polar to each other, although Red and Green are what i consider complementry colors(like Gryffindor/Slytherin) i see Gryfindor and Ravenclaw as a difference between impulse/emotion opposed to knowledge/logic. Slytherin/Hufflepuff can be the contrast to those with ambition who strive to stand alone on top, rather than those who work hard together as equals.

It was natural in the perspective of reading the books that Hufflepuff can be seen as inferior, theres not much that is misunderstood imo. Gryffindor would naturally be seen most bc the main character is there, while his rival is in Slytherin and there is attention placed there as well. I believe if it were not for Harry having a crush on Cho or befriending Luna then Ravenclaw would be seen as inferior as nothing more than bookworms to readers. Cedric has been the only real standout of Hufflepuff that i noticed and his selection as a champion was bc of his hufflepuff traits; he was so hard working and such a fair player (ie. honest) that the Goblet chose him, however his death marks a loss in the value of his house imo. Either way the House most likely to accept and tolerate others, maybe bridge the gap between wizards,witches, other magical beiing or even muggles would be Hufflepuff but it will alos require efforts and attributes of all 4 houses.

On a final note I think that people are sorted by choice rather than talent as I belive Harry could have suited any house but it came down to Gryfindor and Slytherin. I have to mcuh time on my hands tonight :/

Old November 21st, 2006, 10:26 pm
First Year

I think the main quality found in Hufflepuffs would have to be loyalty. Hufflepuffs are feircly loyal to their friends and family. As evidenced by Cedric Diggory during the trywizard tournament, Hufflepuffs also value fair play (giving Harry the a clue about the egg to make up for being told about the dragons, but refusing to cheat outright and tell Harry exactly what to do...sort of just a push in the right direction, so to say).

Not at all. I believe that every student belongs in a house, and that there is no "all the others" house that Hufflepuff is so often categorized as. Most people have at least one of the four main house qualities: Bravery (Gryffindor), Wits/smarts (Ravenclaw), Cunning (Slytherin), or Loyalty (Hufflepuff). Some may not seem to have some of the house qualities but then (if given enough time) prove to have these qualities. Neville, although a Gryffindor, is a good example of this. He's definitley not very brave/not seemingly brave in the first few books, but definitley shows that he has a lot of bravery in the fifth book at the ministry. And even if they don't have one of the main four, there are smaller categorizing characteristics given to each house (In Hufflepuff's case, valuing fair play), so that, in the end, everyone really does have a hosue they belong in.

Susan Bones, definitely. She's been through too much from Voldemort not to show up again. Hannah Abbot's mother was killed by Death Eaters, so I won't be surpised to see her again. Justin Flinch-Fletchley and Ernie Macmillan will proably come back also, if even in a minor way (DA reunion of sorts?) and perhaps Zacharias Smith.

Well, I don't think a Hufflepuff would ever become a death eater, they're way too compassionate and fair for that. So there's like 500 decisions of various characters. ^^ Hrm...I can't think right now. Perhaps later I'll think of something big and be able to come back to this part.

My thoughts are almost exactly along the lines of a statement I read that had already been posted in this thread. Hufflepuffs are down-to-earth sort of people, and there's also professor Sprout, who's definitely got earthy connections. I'm not sure if this is a concidence or if Hufflepuffs really do excel a bit more in herbology and the sorts. As for the badger: upon searching wikipedia, I found this excerpt. The badger does not usually seek to attack, but, when driven to bay, its great muscular power and tough hide render it a formidable opponent. I believe this shows a quality of the Hufflepuff house quite well: Hufflepuffs do not go picking a fight, but will not back down from a challenge and will prove a formidible adversary if it does come down to a fight.

The classes provide further seperation between students: Year to Year is now blended with Inter-house. This is a key factor in the fight with Voldemort, as Dumbledore said that the only way Voldemort will be defeated is if the whole wizarding world bands together (I apologize if it wasn't Dumbledore, as that was soley off of memory). This kind of split is another obstacle to overcome, in a way. Hufflepuff house, from a literary perspective, I believe will be seen much more in book seven. As monster_mom said, Hufflepuffs are extremely accepting, a value the rest of th wizarding world could stand to learn. I believe that if Hogwarts stays open, Hufflepuff will be a leading player in the total unification of the school.

Quote of the day/week/login:
Ron: "Follow the spiders? Why couldn't it be follow the butterfiles?!"
Old November 28th, 2006, 3:54 pm
Mrs Grawp

First to say that Hufflepuff is one of my favourite houses. I never understand the opinions that I have read around there (and what draco says) that Hufflepuff is the house of the 'loosers'. They are easily the most noble and kind house. Also there is nothing that indicates that Hufflepuffs are cowards, in fact all Hufflepuffs we have seen are quite brave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
as it has been said previously: honesty, loyalty, tolerance and fairness.

Quote:
I don't know if there will be key persons in book 7 but let's have a look at all the Hufflepuffs:

Pomona Sprout: Head of Hufflepuff. She is certainly a very gifted herbology teacher and also very kind. She is the one who talks to Cedrics parents and she is also kind to Slughorn (conversation in the garden, she answers with warmth). Nothing in her class indicates that she favours Hufflepuffs over the other students.

Members of the DA:
Hannah Abbott
Susan Bones
Justin Finch-Fletchley
Ernie McMillan (also prefect)
Zacharias Smith (yes he indeed was in the DA )

And to conclude: Voldemorts victims:
Cedric Diggory
Hannah Abbots mother (I will just assume here that the house goes in families, I know it's speculation but it is probable)
Amelia Bones. Very gifted and powerful witch (same as above, we don't know for sure, but we can speculate)
Edgar Bones and family Member of the Original Order of the Phoenix.
Grandparents of Susan Bones. Killed in the first Voldywar.

So we have a high amount of people who fight or have fought against Voldemort coming out of Hufflepuff. People who are in the DA or have been in the Order. We know that Amelia Bones was fair (OotP) so it seems probable that she was in Hufflepuff. She got killed by Voldemort personally what indicates her courage and magical power as well as her importance.

Quote:
Well Earth seems quite logical, that they are more down to earth sort of persons. Hard working and studious and responsable I'd say.
About the badger I have found several meanings:
houseofnames.comThe badger is an animal noted for his fierceness and courage in fighting to defend his home. The image of the badger is a symbol of bravery, perseverance and protection. It is not a common symbol in heraldry; however, it is a typically English one.
I like the symbolism of defense of the home.
ikosmos.comThe badger is a symbol of aggressive healing. It is the keeper of the medicine roots and has been the totem for many powerful medicine women. Badger energy is the inspiration of healers, encouraging one to use any and all methods to ensure healing, even when faced with seemingly impossible odds. The stones on this painting all carry specific healing energies. The badger's inner knowing guides it's use of the perfect combination of energies to facilitate healing.
The healing reminds me a lot of Miss Sprout, who helps with the mandrakes to cure the petrified.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old November 28th, 2006, 9:15 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Oh i don't think so! In PoA he was very good with hary when he fell off his broom, he even wanted a rematch - and hufflepuff hardly ever win!
He was honest, loyal and kind.....and yet he was also brave, intelligent and ambitious i suppose! Thereofre, although hufflepuffs are often thought to be the 'leftovers', i think there are also many hufflepuffs who contain ALL *** qualities, and qutie strongly too. I also find hufflepuff the houes of equality, which i strongly admire.
As it has been named many times before - it's the democratic house, which in someway makes it quite amusignthat so many prefer hte other more secularones. I gues it comes down to the natural humans instinct of wanting to be grouped!
It's always stuck out to me as a misunderstood house, one which doesn't get as much attention not just becuse it hasn't got anythingto give (which i actually beleive it has) but because they seem the type to be more modest and less interseted in materialsitc affairs.

Cedric Diggory, for example, could have been a gryffindor - but he was a hufflepuff for a reason. To be perfectly honest, i'm often sorted in ravencalw these days, but would prefer to be a hufflepuff, knowing i had the ability to be ravenclaw, but still valued equality and friendship enough to be a hufflepuff.

It was a house that has encountered a lot of prejudice and even unnecessary hate (just think fred and george and then harry's opinion of cedric in PoA and then GoF). When it coems down to it, it was only until the end of GoF when harry seemed to bond with cedric and vice versa, both realising that they may have judged each other - and that your house didn't actually matter that much at all. I felt a similar vibe with the DA in OOTP.

I think that the 7th book will have something to do with house unity - you need ambition, loyalty, intelligence and courage to defeat Voldemort.....and hufflepuff will pay a key part.

I mean...JK didn't chose a hufflepuff to compete in the Tournament for othing.....did she?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherwoman View Post
I agree with you so much! Maybe he and Cedric should've switched houses...?
Because although hufflepuff's are strong-minded, their type of courage is more emotional - and they prefer to play the caring side-kicks whilst the Gryffindors do the fighting - and Neville definitely does the fighitng. Then again...i think that's still a sterotypical view. Surely a hufflepuff could fight just as well?

TBH, i think people are put into the houses they deep down FEEL is best....and neville wanted gryffindor, no, he needed gryffindor to prove himself, every person needs a different house to do that.
Maybe cedric waned to prove his loyalty and honesty?

BTW, on a side note....IS ANYONE ELSE REALY MAD THE ONLY HUFFLEPUFF BEING SHOWN IN THE DA FOR FILM 5 IS ZACH SMITH??? THRE ARE ABOUT 4 RAVENCLAWS! THEY DIDN'T EVEN MENTION CEDRC WAS A HUFFLEPUFF IN GOF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
tbh..I DON'T THINK THEY'RE AS DESPERATE FOR GLORY AS SOME THINK....AND LOOSER IDIOTS? WHICH HUFFLEPUF IS A LOOSER IDIOT IN THE BOOKS? MAYBE THEY PREFER BEIGN A GOOD PERSON OVER POPULARITY? BUT HEY, THAT'S HOW THE WORLD WORKS
AND ANYWAY..I FOUDN HTE FACT THAT MALFOY DIDN'T WNT TO BE IN HUFFLEPUFF A GOOD THING....HE HATES HUFFLEPUFF AS WELL AS GRYFFINDOR. IN FACT....I THINK JK MENTIONED HUFFLEPUFF FIRST FOR A REASON....

Last edited by MissHufflepuff; November 28th, 2006 at 9:26 pm.
Old November 28th, 2006, 9:39 pm
Second Year

Hufflepuffs are portrayed as not good enough to get into the other houses-- hufflepuff says something like --i'll teach the rest or the lot

they even say cedric brought hufflepuff some "rare glory"-- everyone wants to be recognized for their achievements even if they won't admit it

the griffindor's are embarassed to lose to hufflepuffs

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies