Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Gryffindor House : Group Character Analysis

Old November 12th, 2006, 5:32 pm
Curse Breaker

Gryffindor House : Group Character Analysis

This thread was suggested by several members, but put together through the efforts of Fuelpagan.

Gryffindor
Sorting Hat, Year 1You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

Sorting Hat, Year 4By Gryffindor, the bravest were
prized far beyond the rest

Sorting Hat, Year5Said Gryffindor, "We'll teach all those
with brave deeds to their name.
. . .
While the bravest and the boldest
Went to daring Gryffindor.

Dumbledore, CoS Ch.18It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

Some questions to start the discussion:

Is there a predominant quality that a Gryffindor must have in order to be a Gryffindor?

Bravery seems to be the predominant characteristic, but you have students like Neville, Percy, and Peter Pettigrew in Gryffindor...What might be the quality of Bravery in its relation to choices that Godric is looking for?

Does this predominant quality for Gryffindor trump other qualities that might place someone in one of the other houses?

What Gryffindors (besides the trio) will be key players in the last book?

What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Gryffindors would decide differently?

What are the significance of Fire and the Lion to Gryffindor?

What is the significance of JKR splitting the students into classes and why did she make Gryffindor House from a literary perspective?

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2006, 6:17 pm
Second Year

Re: Gryffindor House : Group Character Analysis

I'm sorry this doesn't deal with any of your specific questions above, but I just wanted to point it out. I'll write a better one later.

A trait of Gryffindor's seems to be the "courage" mentioned by DD in SS/PS of standing up to your friends. Neville is the person in question in PS/SS, but Ron/Harry/Hermione will also stand up for their own opinions against each other. Seamus defends his mother against Harry whereas Harry defends what he believes [and knows] to believe is right.

Percy stands up against his father in defence of what he believes to be right too.

Gotta go make dinner. Sorry this was so short, i'll be back when I have chance!

For a time he floats, nameless and lost. A pinpoint of flickering consciousness, an unknown swimmer through a black and empty sea. Then a single note invades the void. It reverberates, a soundless sound, a sense-lacking intruder on the senses. -Without senses, how is there perception?- his mind asks. His mind! -I am!- he cries, and a million philosophies cry out in wonder. -If I am, then what is not me? -he wonders.

An echo replies, -You are that which you are, and not that which you are not-

The note - it is the touch of an old man's sleep the moment before death, it is the colour of winter, the sound of hope, the taste of love... - Magician, Raymond E Feist.
Old November 12th, 2006, 6:25 pm
Third Year

I too believe that courage is the most required Gryffindor trait.

Look at courage in standing up to your friends: Crabbe and Goyle...Slytherin, obviously, never stand up to Malfoy; Marietta and Cho...Ravenclaw, Cho should have known better than to stand up FOR Marietta after she snitched!

Ginny stands up to Hermione; Hermione stands up to Fred and George; I really think if we were to have a good look into other Houses, we wouldn't see the same reactions in similar circumstances.

The other important trait is loyalty. Courage and loyalty...and a sense of what is right. That's why I think Percy has got to redeem himself in book 7; I mean, why was he in Gryffindor? He's done not much to prove himself worthy...I think he'll pull through.

"You're gorgeous."
"Oh, shut it."
Old November 12th, 2006, 7:15 pm
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
Is there a predominant quality that a Gryffindor must have in order to be a Gryffindor?
Bravery tends to stand out as the basic characteristic that a Gryffindor should have but Bravery doesn't just mean doing things that a Dare Devil does. That is what people call foolhardiness. Bravery in this case implies courage to face situations and circumstances where most tend to hide themselves-where very few people stand and face it. That is the sort of Bravery/Courage that is required from a Gryffindor.

Quote:
Bravery seems to be the predominant characteristic, but you have students like Neville, Percy, and Peter Pettigrew in Gryffindor...What might be the quality of Bravery in its relation to choices that Godric is looking for?
Bravery in case of Neville is the bravery that he shows when he stands up against his friends when they are wrong. Bravery shown by Neville is when he stands for his friends when they are right. So you see it is not just bravery in case of Neville is like I said is ability to stand up to circumstances where he has to chose the path that is both difficult and correct. He chose what was right between what was right and what was easy. This is the bravery that Lord Godric must have looked for in his students.

Quote:
Does this predominant quality for Gryffindor trump other qualities that might place someone in one of the other houses?
Not really. I mean look at Harry the sorting hat did consider in putting him in Slytherine but it was his choice. Then we had Hermione being considered for Rawenclaw but there also we have her choice. So I think it doesn't all together close the alternative placement option but it does tend to dominate a bit.
Quote:
Like you said I expect Peter to play a big role because we have the whole life debt thing and then I expect Ginny to play a major role, seeing that she is the one who can give Harry company and comfort when he will most need it. I mean I agree that Harry has asked her that they should breakup and all but then we all know Ginny and the way she handles the situation. And Neville can be a helping hand but not much.

Quote:
What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Gryffindors would decide differently?
I think I will answer that one later on.

Quote:
What is the significance of JKR splitting the students into classes and why did she make Gryffindor House from a literary perspective?
I think Jo did it so that the characteristic the person has can be enhanced better and they can make their strengths even more firmer. I mean this would help them override there weaknesses and give them a chance to grow in an environment where most of the people are like themselves.

Old November 12th, 2006, 7:23 pm
Second Year

I think I addressed this in my above post^. Courage – the particular kind of courage of standing up to your friends especially. Good points, marianna58 . I think it is this courage and standing up for what you believe in, no matter what the circumstances.

Again, Neville in PS/SS [he won 10 points for Gryffindor for it!], and, in my opinion, Percy’s courage in standing up to his father, which as I’m sure lots of people can appreciate, is a difficult thing. I think to appreciate this you have to take the actions of the character out of context and forget that they are wrong – the character still needs courage to do it. Not sure about Peter though…he stood against his friends, and I’m unsure whether it’s a cowardly or brave thing to do in going over to the dark side. It’s wrong, clearly, but I think it all depends on individual perceptions of courage. In relation to the choices Godric is looking for…I think that is the choice between what is good and what is easy, and standing up for what you believe in, even to your closest friends and most formidable enemies, is most certainly not the easy choice, thus these people are in Gryffindor .

I think Ginny, in relation to her, well, relationship with Harry. I think that will have some significance. Also Neville – involving Bella Lestrange, probably. I say this as these are the two who accompanied the trio to the Ministry in OotP, and so I feel they are tied together somehow, along with Luna. Unsure about Dean/Seamus/Parvati/Lavender, to me they don’t seem key enough to play a critical role, but I could be wrong.

I think a prime example is Draco Malfoy’s decision to not let his friends in on anything he was doing for Voldemort – he insisted on operating alone [a reflection of Voldemort himself]. Whereas a Gryffindor would have asked for help from trusted friends, much as Harry informs Ron and Hermione about the Horcruxes, takes advice and accepts aid in other circumstances. I wonder if this also is significant, but it appears that Gryffindors are more able to swallow their pride and apologise for wrongdoings: example, Seamus’ apology to Harry in OotP after he learns he was wrong after the release of The Quibbler article, in contrast with Marietta Edgecombe, who, despite having the terrible “Sneak” pimples across her face to remind her every day how wrong her actions were, never once apologises in person; we have Cho telling us how sorry her friend is, but Marietta never once admits she is wrong.

I believe the lion is a clear representation of the courage of Godric Gryffindor and all those placed into his house. I think the fire is somehow a link to Fawkes: could he have anything to do with Godric Gryffindor himself? Also I like the way Fawkes swallowed the spell to kill DD in OotP, and this is associated with Sirius’ words in PoA: “Then you should have died! Died rather than betray your friends, as we would have done for you!”

I think it’s highly ironic that the Sorting Hat itself splits the students into separate houses, while at the same time instructing them to be “united from within”. I think it again emphasises individual choices, the “what is right and what is easy”, and overcoming prejudices and such to be able to do the right thing. Gryffindor house is like the polar opposite of Slytherin house; much like Dumbledore and Voldemort. Again, this demonstrates the choice thing: you have the good and the bad, but then again, you have Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff too. Just goes to show the world is certainly more than a two dimensional place. Also the complexity of character’s behaviour: in PS/SS, we would assume from the brave actions of the trio that all Gryffindors are “good”. But then, we question this when we see behaviour such as Seamus’ aggression towards Harry, Ron’s jealousy in GoF, Percy’s behaviour towards his family…again, just goes to show that “easy” is not necessarily “right”.

Apologies if that was rambled, I got a little confused :s

For a time he floats, nameless and lost. A pinpoint of flickering consciousness, an unknown swimmer through a black and empty sea. Then a single note invades the void. It reverberates, a soundless sound, a sense-lacking intruder on the senses. -Without senses, how is there perception?- his mind asks. His mind! -I am!- he cries, and a million philosophies cry out in wonder. -If I am, then what is not me? -he wonders.

An echo replies, -You are that which you are, and not that which you are not-

The note - it is the touch of an old man's sleep the moment before death, it is the colour of winter, the sound of hope, the taste of love... - Magician, Raymond E Feist.
Old November 13th, 2006, 4:40 pm
I want to believe

As the question below outlines, bravery/courage would be the predominant quality for Gryffindors.

It might be that Godric was looking for people brave enough to choose right over easy when right is a difficult path to take. Of course, Peter and Percy haven’t shown us this ability yet, but there are opportunities for them to in the future. For instance, Peter needs to fulfill his life debt to Harry. Therefore, I believe his right vs. easy choice might be centered around that. This doesn’t mean he’ll be redeemed though, but I think it’ll illustrate his Gryffindor quality. As for Percy, I believe his choice will be to side with his family or the Ministry, and I believe he’ll make the choice to face his family and apologize to them, which is something he’ll find hard to do.

As with the Sorting of anyone into any House, I believe in order to be put in to Gryffindor, students must a) possess the qualities prized by the Founder of that House to a sufficient degree, and b) that student must value those qualities. So I don’t really believe that one quality “trumps” another, I think it’s more of a combination of whether the student has the quality to a sufficient degree plus how much the student values said quality that determines what House they are Sorted into. Therein lies choice, which only some recognize on a conscious level.

• Professor McGonagall – as Headmistress of Hogwarts, a key member of the Order, and as Harry’s teacher
  • Lupin – as a key member of the Order and someone who can guide the trio a bit
  • Neville – I believe he will join the trio on their quest
  • Peter – he owes Harry a life debt
  • Ginny – she’ll likely come along, and she’s Harry’s love interest
  • Dean and Seamus might have a limited role or no role

I like TigerWolf17’s example of Draco not telling his friends about Voldemort’s assignment to him. To that effect, in general I’d say any decision in which someone chooses to work alone would be a decision a Gryffindor wouldn’t make. Also, any decision which takes them away from necessary danger (ie going through a dangerous situation to save someone) would not be a choice a Gryffindor would make.

Fire represents Gryffindor accurately because Gryffindors are fiery people. The lion is the symbol of courage, bravery, nobility, splendor, power, majesty, strength, pride, and cunning. These characteristics fit Gryffindor characteristics pretty well.

I think the literary purpose of Gryffindor and all the houses is to balance out the others. Gryffindor is a place for people who are bold and daring and physically strong. The other Houses embody different kinds of strength.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old November 14th, 2006, 11:42 am
First Year

Yeah as the sorting hat says the big one is of course bravery.

I think that bravery is ine of the characteristics that Godric Gryffindor admires but I don't think it the real determining factor of who is in the House. I think that it is as Dumbledore says it is your choices that show who you are rather than your abilities. I believe that like Harry, Neville & Percy & Peter chose to be in Gryffindor. Neville because he thought it was what his grandmother wanted and Percy and Peter because they thoght it was the "better" house.

This "quality" ... lets say decision is what defines where you shall be put - if you really thinkabout it people work to their best abilities in places where they want to be. So even if you are ambitious with a thrist to prove yourself (like our hero) your choice to be in Gryffindor is what decides where you will be.

I think the main Gryff other than the trio will be Neville - I think he is going to be huge and I can't wait to see it. The other person will be Ginny - but I think that she wont be some much integral to the plot as Neville.

Well I think that a major thing that sticks in my mind is the treatment of Luna in Ravenclaw. They steal her stuff and call her names etc... This type of bullying doesn't seem to happen in Gryffindor. They seem to be much more of a friendly and widely accepting bunch.

Welll lions make me think of bravery, courage, loyalty and sacrifice (but I think that those last two are Aslan's fault). And fire makes me think of passion and slight irrational behaviour .... sound like any one in particular?

I think the main reson for the divide was that it was needed to segregate the students. There needed to be some order to Hogwarts otherwise it would be a-shambles. I think that it makes the novels flow better.

Old November 14th, 2006, 12:49 pm
Unspeakable

As marianna58 said, if we say that part of courage is standing up to your friends, then they are all brave in that way. Percy and Peter may not have made the best decisions about which side to take, but they are still standing up to people they are close too (or were). And if the Sorting Hat is sorting the students the way in which the Founders would if they were alive, it makes sense that Gryffindor would choose these three for his House since standing up to a friend is exactly what he did with Slytherin.

Last edited by hermy_weasley2; December 30th, 2006 at 11:36 pm.
Old November 21st, 2006, 5:27 am
Third Year

Bravery, as stated in these questions, as well I think Loyalty is a big factor in being a Gryffindor too.

Bravey is a part of it, but I don't think it's the be all and end all of what Godric would have been looking for. As I said I see Loyalty being as part of it, Neville is loyal and in some ways brave. I still think Percy is a brave person, his just abit of a slilme ball as well. As for Peter, I really don't know as Elaria said, maybe he decided he wanted to be in Gryffindor.

What Gryffindors (besides the trio) will be key players in the last book? I think Neville and Ginny will.

What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Gryffindors would decide differently? Well for starters Gryffindors wouldn't think of themselves first like Sylterin's. They would stay and help their friends through anything.

Well the Lion is bravery, it's strong, couragous, top of the food chain, they stay in packs and guard eachother. Fire I'm not too sure about it. Maybe it adds to the image.

Old November 21st, 2006, 6:05 am
First Year

Bravery is probably the quality that Godric was looking for, but it can be found in different places. While people like Harry battle giant spiders, people like Neville stand up to their friends. It all depends.

I bet that Neville will play a gigantic part because of the prophecy. JK Rowling wouldn't have mentioned it if he didn't have some significance. Also, Ginny. The whole Ginny/Harry relationship is far from over.

Old December 11th, 2006, 11:33 pm
First Year

What Gryffindors (besides the trio) will be key players in the last book?From Jo's website we know that she planned a huge backround for Dean. I doubt she would have done this if he wasn't going to play a large role. I think that he may become a key character in book 7.

Old December 12th, 2006, 12:00 am
Snape Lover

Quote:
As has been said it could be differing levels of bravery, but I think boldness, daring, nerve, loyalty, and chivalry could play just as much of a part in someone being picked as a Gryff as bravery (I mean I wouldn't consider 1/4th of the world's population to be brave in some way, so other factors have to factor in).
Quote:
Hmm...I don't think so, that would be like saying that there isn't anyone in any other house that is brave. That might be the superficial view (ie. Snape--don't call me a coward) but I don't think its true. It must be in combination with other characteristics and trump in degree qualities that typify the other houses (along with choice).
Quote:
I think Marietta Edgecombe wouldn't have betrayed the DA if she'd been a Gryff.
Honestly, I don't think Cedric would have told Harry about the egg if he'd been a Gryff. I always think of Ron as an almost archetypal Gryffindor and I don't think he would have given up that advantage to an opponent (even if Harry would have--I think Harry's Slytherin qualities--You scratch my back I'll scratch yours--come out in this sort of thing).
Quote:
I don't put much stock in astrology but JKR said she purposely related the elements to the houses so here's a bit about the fire element in astrology:
Quote:
Elements LinkTHE FIRE ELEMENT: Fire is bright, strong, and takes control. It wants to be in charge. Never subtle, the most confident of all the signs. When it wants something you will know! Fire people do not stop until they get what they want. Look to the fire people as the leaders. The majority of world leaders have strong fire elements in their charts. These people are very proud and confident.
Generally compatible with air signs, fire signs can become tired and bored with the intellectual observations of the more communicative air signs. Without the encouragement and ideas of the air signs the fire signs would be lost.{*Ravenclaw*-Luna & partially Hermione IMO} A fire sign is the boss who takes your ideas and motivates and leads all the employees to better sales and marketing while taking all the credit.
I've always thought Gryffindor was the most "vague" house according to characteristics. The traits that define them are so difficult to pin down.
I mean if you have a 15 minute conversation with someone you can determine if they are witty and clever, hard working and kind, or shrewd and ambitious--but how do you determine if someone is brave or loyal or daring?
Don't slay me but, I think Gryffindor has a tendency to pick up the dross to a degree (I know Hufflepuff often gets that distinction but if you're not "just and hard working" how could you fit here?). IMO.

Old December 12th, 2006, 1:00 am
Fifth Year

I would say the ability stand up for something they believe in. Whether what they believe in is moral or not, is up for grabs.

Godric might have been looking for someone that isn't necessarily a leader, but could be helpful to a leader in some way. Thinking of Pettigrew always messes up my logic, though I suppose he did help Voldemort....

I believe so. Otherwise, Hermione would have been placed in Ravenclaw, I think. Although, maybe the hate thought she would do better in Gryffindor because her bravery or courage needed some development; she is clearly capable of learning without much guidance!

Ginny, definately. I think maybe Lavender will play some role, but her character isn't very well developed and I don't think JKR would want to spend precious page space on her if she's going to stay static.

I think Gryffindors, on the whole, make decisions more quickly than other houses might. They are probably more likely to join a group (like the Order of the Phoenix) to fight for something they want, even if there are grave dangers.

Both fire and lions typically represent ferocity and lack of fear. They are also both incredibly dangerous, particularly in the wrong hands.

It shows how everyone is together (in one school) but they all still have differences that are illustrated in the separate houses. I think that in the 7th book we will see how all the students and teachers need to come together. Gryffindor house, from a literary perspective, represents what many people want in life; courage to do what they want without fear. However, I think she wants everyone to see the pros and cons of everything. Maybe I'm looking into this too much, though.

Gerald M. Loeb
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:34 pm
First Year

Is there a predominant quality a Gryffindor must have in order to be a Gryffindor?

Severus Snape would probably say that being Gryffindors requires being untalented show-offs and pig ignorant know-it-alls and that's their good points. But he would be wrong because then there's Neville.

I would have said competitiveness. But then there's Neville.

So it must be bravery.

Old January 25th, 2007, 12:28 pm
First Year

I think the predominent quality in all the Gryffindors is courage and loyalty.

Neville stands up to his friends in PS and also against Bellatrix Lestrange and the other DEs in POA.And i needn't say about his loyalty.
As for Percy he stands up against his father for his beliefs and though does not remain loyal to the Weasleys and DD we must admit he remains very loyal to Mr. Crouch and the Ministry.
Hmmm....tough one with Pettigrew.But i guess he will show his courage in the 7th book when time comes for him to pay his Life Debt to Harry.Can't talk about his loyalty as he is the traitor but may be he will stick up for Harry in the end and show a bit of loyalty.

About trump qualities...well if you have qualities for other houses in same measure as that for Gryffindor then may be it is possible like Harry or Hermione....but then again choices and your heart's desire are important too as in case of Harry.On the whole the whole series is based on choices and that is demonstrated here as well.

Other Gryffindors who might play akey role are as follows.
Neville - because he almost became the chosen one and i think he will have one more encounter with Bellatrix Lestrange.
Ginny - because she is Ron's sister and Harry's love interest and i think she will plunge into things.
Lupin - He might guide Harry and also i think he will be important from the order point of view.
Prof. McGonnagal - She is the one who will manage things n Hogwarts front.
Peter - He will be paying his life debt.
Weasleys - As always they will help Harry and the order.

On the whole Gryffindors choose the path in which they believe even if it means difficulties and hardwork.They choose what they feel is right.But Slytherins as we have been informed by Phineas Nigellus in POA choose what is easy and whatever that will save their skin.I thin once again it is about choosing betwen what's easy and what's correct.And I totally agree with the Draco not telling his friends and operating alone example.

Lion symbolises Courage and strenght.We have always seen Gryffindors finding strenght when it comes to defending what they believe in.And i think it is very well demonstrated in POA when Harry creates his Stag patronus in face of hundred dementors when he is failing to do so all year.As for fire i think it symbolises purity at heart.

The purpose of splitting students into houses is to remind us that the world is very diverse and there is more in it than just black and white that there is a lot of grey too.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old January 25th, 2007, 1:44 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_countrypande View Post
I think the predominent quality in all the Gryffindors is courage and loyalty.
I don't understand where people get the idea that loyalty is a Gryffindor trait. In none of the Sorting Hat songs has loyalty been mentioned in relation to Gryffindor. The only trait that is ever associated with Gryffindor by the Sorting Hat is bravery. Loyalty is only referenced in relation to Hufflepuff. In PS/SS, the Hat refers to Hufflepuffs as being just and loyal, never Gryffindor.

Old April 10th, 2007, 3:25 am
Fifth Year

Bravery is not always as straight forward as it seems. Even the most cowardly person may suddenly realize that they have to take a stand for something they believe in and become "brave". That is the quality of bravery that you find in a Griffindore student. Neville has already shown his bravery at the Ministry. Percy and Peter may yet surprise us with their own bravery. Even they may not believe that they have it in them to do something great.

Can you guess where I am?
Old April 10th, 2007, 6:44 am
Sixth Year

Percy has not yet showed signs of any sort of cowardice yet. One might argue that standing up to your parents dispite being so obviously wrong is brave.

Old April 10th, 2007, 6:43 pm
First Year

I think you need to be brave to be in Gryffindor. It also seems some Gryffindors are a bit stubborn and hate to be wrong.

Well, Neville stood up to Harry, Ron, and Hermione in SS (even though that didn't go well, they went to get to stone anyway). Then he tried to attack Malfoy in one of the books, and he fought at the Minstry with Harry, Ron, Hermione, Luna, and Neville.
Percy turned against his family and did what he thought was right even though his family disagreed. It does take some courage to turn against your family and do what you think you should. It turns out he was wrong but he didn't go back to his family right away. He tried to later on in the Half-Blood Prince, which must have been scary since it seems Fred, George, and Mr. Weasley all dislike him a lot.
Peter went to serve Voldemort which is probably very scary. Even though it is not the right thing to do at all, it still took some bravery. He needs to talk to and serve the most scary wizard in the world. He had to help him come back to his real body by cutting his hand off, which you need to be brave to do.

I think that bravery puts you in Gryffindor house. Hermione was almost put into Ravenclaw because she was very, very smart. But since she is also very, very brave she was put into Gryffindor.

I think Ginny Weasley and Neville Longbottom will be key players in the last book. The only reason for this is because they played a huge part in Order of the Pheonix by fighting at the Ministry of Magic, so they might help Harry do what he is going to do in Deathly Hollows.

Well, many people in Slytherin prefer to go to Voldemort's side rather than Dumbledore. When Gryffindors prefer Dumbledore, as most of the other people do. In Order of the Pheonix Harry, Ron, and Hermione started the D.A. and it is less likley if anyone from the other houses would get the courage to start a club. Plus, when they were signing the form, Ernie was afraid to do it because he is a prefect. Ravenclaws would probably try to make the "Wise" choice and go with knowledge rather than instinct or braveness.

I think the Fire is for strenght and the Lion is for Bravery.

I think it was just to mix it up a little and see how students from other houses act, and that someone in Harry's year in Gryffindor will be the downfall of Voldemort, though it will probably be Harry if that happens.

Old April 24th, 2007, 11:38 pm
First Year

Almost all thses people rock!

The Rightful Heir to The Lower House, the Middle House, the Upper House, the Far Reaches, the Border Sea, The Great Maze, the Incomperable Gardens, the Keys to the Kingdom, the Comleat Atlas of the House and Immediate Environs, and the territories beyond the House commonly called the Secondary Realms.

Arthur Penhaligon, with tacit approval of Dame Primus

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies