Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies > The Casting Couch

Rupert Grint as Ron Weasley V2 ♥

Old October 22nd, 2011, 3:30 am
Third Year

Re: Rupert Grint as Ron Weasley V2 ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherD View Post
Sorry about that! Is it possible to have my comment moved to the proper thread?

Agreed! He is really good in that scene.
Sometimes I think Rupert's best acting comes when he doesn't say a word.

"We spent time here, we made friends here. Thatís a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, itís bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after weíre gone. Maybe weíll see our kids go here.
Thatís the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long youíre away from it, thereís always a way back."
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2011, 6:23 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScribbler View Post
I didn't notice that! That might redeem it a bit for me, then.
However, I wouldn't blame Rupert for the lack of emotion, but rather Yates and Kloves. If Yates had directed Rupert to even shake hands with Dan (with tears in his eyes), I would've been a happier viewer.
I don't think a handshake would have been better, in fact it might have been more awkward, it seems too formal. I thought the eye contact and facial expressions were a good choice and Rupert did a very good job there.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old October 22nd, 2011, 8:29 pm
Third Year

I have always thought that Rupert is a very talented actor whose role were dismissed in the films. It is not his fault at all, sometimes as a lot of people in this thread say, he is given too little to work with. But in the rare ocasions in which he has the screen for him, he really stands up in my oppinion.
I do believe that the producers dismissed Ron's role to a mere sidekick for comic relief in order to make it easier for the movie-only audience to catch the plot (to simplify things) because usually sidekicks in movies don't get the depth of character and the development that Ron has in the books. For movie-only fans it is easier to catch the classical good-looking-boy and good-looking-girl plot. A story where "the girl" ends with "the friend" and not with the main character is not very frequent.

It's a pity, because I think Rupert Grint would have given so much depth to the plot and would have done his part as Ron really good.
I am however, still not dissapointed with him.

My Fic: Two Introverted Souls.http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=128320
Old December 31st, 2011, 1:36 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrormere View Post
I just saw DH2 for the *mumble, mumble* time and noticed that the tension in the scene where the trio + Griphook try to get into Gringott's is really carried by Grint. He does such an excellent job of fearful nervousness, he gets me freaked out as well.
That's a great scene which shows how far Rupert and Rupert's-Ron have come.

It's hard to remember the 12 year old kid, pulling funny faces in COS.

Old December 31st, 2011, 1:41 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_MT View Post
That's a great scene which shows how far Rupert and Rupert's-Ron have come.

It's hard to remember the 12 year old kid, pulling funny faces in COS.
Yes. One reviewer compared Rupert's ability to convey anxiety as similar to a young Paul Giamatti...I think Rupert's taller, though... Still, a pretty competent actor to be compared with.

Old December 31st, 2011, 2:22 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrormere View Post
I just saw DH2 for the *mumble, mumble* time and noticed that the tension in the scene where the trio + Griphook try to get into Gringott's is really carried by Grint. He does such an excellent job of fearful nervousness, he gets me freaked out as well.
thanks for pointing that out. I've always felt the same and never seen anyone mention it. I also felt the same way about Rupert in DH1 in the escape from the Ministry running from Runcorn. Rupert's face as they run is pure terror.

Old December 31st, 2011, 3:33 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
thanks for pointing that out. I've always felt the same and never seen anyone mention it. I also felt the same way about Rupert in DH1 in the escape from the Ministry running from Runcorn. Rupert's face as they run is pure terror.
Although the face he has when running from the fiendfyre is the old-style Ron...he could have been running from the spiders in COS!!

Old December 31st, 2011, 6:19 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Although the face he has when running from the fiendfyre is the old-style Ron...he could have been running from the spiders in COS!!

That's true....seems like creatures hit a different note with Ron than human and impending doom do.?

Old December 31st, 2011, 1:26 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
I also felt the same way about Rupert in DH1 in the escape from the Ministry running from Runcorn. Rupert's face as they run is pure terror.
This was my favourite scene in HP DH1 (I think). It was just simply fabulously done. It's the scene I watch over and over again and it's one of the reasons I tend to like DH1 more than DH2. There are more moments in DH1 that I like to see repeatedly.

Old June 7th, 2012, 1:28 pm
Second Year

I just finished watching Philosopher's Stone (again) and it really struck me how much Rupert improved as the series went along. Everything he did just seemed so forced and artificial in the early films, bar a couple of scenes - he does the chessboard well, and the descent into the Chamber of Secrets. Clobbering Ken Branagh on the back of the head with a rock, another lovely moment

I really couldn't stand Ron in Goblet of Fire, but I think that's down to how the character is written, both by JKR and Steve Kloves. It just doesn't ring true that Ron would be so eager to disbelieve his best friend about putting his name in the goblet. But, that's hardly Rupert's fault.

The switch flicked in Order of the Phoenix, and he really came into his own as Ron, and I can't really pick much fault in his portrayal from then on. I may argue about the nature and amount of the material he was given, but he never fails to convince, except for the Fiendfyre moment in Deathly Hallows Part 2, which was a throwback to the gurning idiot from the early days.

You're the weak one. And you'll never know love, or friendship. And I feel sorry for you.

I'm LightChaser4263 on Pottermore.
Feel free to add me as a friend, but please owl me first on CoS. Thanks!
Proud member of Gryffindor House in the Chamber of Secrets and on Pottermore.
Old June 7th, 2012, 5:04 pm
First Year

I find Rupert to be the more talented actor out of the Golden Trio, I just feel he was let down by the writers. It's a shame because Ron is one of my most loved characters.

Old July 10th, 2012, 4:43 pm
First Year

I find it interesting how movie Ron has changed over the serie. I thought he was fine in the first movie. Overall, they did him justice in this one. Ron had some of the best lines and they nailed the chess game perfectly. His friendship with Harry was very well portrayed too.

From CoS to GoF, Ron was quite lame and much of the belief that Ron is a coward probably comes from these movies. His constant scared face certainly didn't help the caracter.

OotP saw a considerable change on Ron's part. I just saw the movie yesterday. Although Ron has a relatively minor role (he probably has about 15 lines in the whole movie), his loyalty to Harry and courage were pretty well shown. He came accross as matured and more solid than in the previous movie. I'd say OotP was the turning point for movie Ron.

HBP continued the same way, with Ron having a much bigger role this time. He had much more personnality than in the previous movie. The book version of Ron was quite despicable in HBP. In the movie, I didn't find him despicable at all, surprisingly. Rupert did a great job, being funny without being ridiculous.

DH part 1 was a great movie for Ron. Probably his best. His descent into madness was well done and his fight with Harry was well played. They also nailed his confrontation with the locket. Ron had a lot of fierceness and determination in this movie, just like canon Ron. Actually, I even think they portrayed him better than in the book this time. Ron really came accross as a strong caracter while in the book, Ron was a bit lost in the first half. I particularly liked him in the MoM scene, although most of it wasn't played by Rupert. His backward disarming was great. Ron really shines in this movie. And for good reasons.

Finally, DH part 2 just confirmed Ron's new status as a force to be reckoned with. I agree that his friendship with Harry was toned down. But at the same time, we got to see him show some leadership, which he had never done before in the movies. I also noticed that they gave him some of Hermione's parts (it used to be the opposite). For instance, it is Ron who tells Harry to look into Voldemort's mind to locate him. In the book, it's Hermione who does that. They also gave him other things which he doesn't do in the book. Like throwing the Impero curse at a goblin, locating Harry in the Room of requirement or fighting Nagini at the end. Maybe Steve Kloves wanted to redeem himself for underplaying Ron from CoS to GoF? As far as I'm concerned, he totally redeemed himself.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies > The Casting Couch