Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

What are the Deathly Hallows?

Old December 29th, 2006, 8:41 pm
MuggleNet Editorial

What are the Deathly Hallows?

Discussion of the MuggleNet editorial What are the Deathly Hallows? by Sephia.

---

To see what other people are saying about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, check out the following ongoing discussion threads around COS Forums:

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows - General Speculation and Opinions v3

The Deathly Hallows - Theories Relating to People & Places

Last edited by blaqlives; December 29th, 2006 at 8:44 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2006, 9:34 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: What are the Deathly Hallows?

Glad to have an editorial on the subject!

All six of the titles so far have involved Voldemort in some way; he's looking for the Stone, he left an imprint of himself in the Diary to open the Chamber; he killed the Potters in a way that involved both Peter Pettigrew and The Prisoner of Azkaban, The Goblet of Fire is what gets Harry, Cedric, and us to the graveyard and lets us see V's return, the Order of the Phoenix is specifically formed in order to fight him, and the Half-Blood Prince is a double agent whose loyalty to Voldemort or Dumbledore--if any--are still a subject of great contention. So Deathly Hallows must refer to him as well.

I vote for the Hogwarts graveyard. We know Dumbledore is buried there, it's possible that some, at least, of the Founders are there, and because of all the ghosts there's quite a connection between Hogwarts and the dead already. (Why ARE there so many ghosts at Hogwarts? They can't all have died there--Nick was beheaded and I doubt that happened at a school). Graveyards are deathly and hallowed. That's my slightly-more-than-two-cents.

Old December 29th, 2006, 10:32 pm
First Year

Really good editorial! I quite like the idea about it having something to do with Horcruxes (although, in HPDH, what WON'T have to do with them??). And by the way, I'm not sure there is a "Hogwarts Graveyard..."
Nice editorial!

Old December 29th, 2006, 10:46 pm
Zonko's Employee

Oh, let's be serious - this editorial took a lot of words to say that 'deathly hallows' refers to something! Can't say what but it's something! When i opened the link, I expected something a little more enlightening than that.

Prof. Minerva McGonagall had a bit too much celebrating after the Battle and got stuck for several years in her Animagus form

Nonetheless, she made the most of it and had a good time as a cat.

Old December 29th, 2006, 10:59 pm
First Year

I had a look on Wiktionary and found a noun version of Hallows

hallow (plural hallows)
(archaic) a holy person, a saint

So the title looks like it might be referring to holy people, or saints. I was thinking perhaps departed souls type stuff. The veil of death? That place is pretty deathly. Or maybe people that study death?
What constitutes holy in the wizard world anyway? I was pretty much going off the idea it means having knowledge of the after-life ie Horcrux experts. After all, someone has to know all about these ghosts and spirits and what not.

Well, whatever. Hope the definition helps. I'll leave it to someone smarter than me to come up with a cool theory.

Old December 29th, 2006, 11:25 pm
First Year

I'd also like to say that it was a very excellent editorial!

Now, I've seen, in many communities on LiveJournal that it could also mean relics.

"I agree - I think it's an allusion to the "Hallows of Britain" which are part of lore, especially Arthurian lore. So it's all Arthuriana. Having been reading about Arthuriana a lot for my class next term, I think this: hallows there refers to the royal regalia carried by the King, or the objects sought by someone such as a Grail Quester - so modern day regalia might be things like a Scepter, Sword of State, Crown, ... . Some even say the four suits of the Tarot refer to the four Hallows.

So you have four founders, four things they left behind - they might well be "hallows". And deathly because they're Horcruxes now. Also fits the four houses, and we already know about the Sword of Gryffindor and the Cup of Hufflepuff, so ... just my two cents worth... ." - <lj user="sibylle">

Old December 29th, 2006, 11:35 pm
First Year

That makes a lot of sense FanofLupin. High-Five!

Old December 30th, 2006, 1:46 am
bribe

A well written editorial about the newly released title of book 7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermionefan01
hallow (plural hallows)
(archaic) a holy person, a saint.
The word Hallow certainly does have religious undertones both in modern religions (eg christianity) and in more ancient religions such as paganism. According to some very old reference books I have read the word Hallow can be almost literally translated to Saint. I wonder if it could be that the deathly Hallows are people who have "passed over" whom Harry has respect for (Sirius, Dumbledore, even Harry's parents).

I tend to agree more strongly with FanofLupin, however, in that, in the context of the title, it is more likely to refer to artifacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofLupin
Now, I've seen, in many communities on LiveJournal that it could also mean relics.
I think the Deathly Hallows are indeed the artifacts of the founders which Voldemort has turned into horcruxes.

Old December 30th, 2006, 2:28 am
First Year

Very good editorial...very good. I find it strange that I haven't heard much about the fact that in most of the translations from other languages of DH, it says "deadly saints" in some form or fasion...

'What about you and Lavender, thrashing around like a pair of eels all over the place?'
Old December 30th, 2006, 2:37 am
First Year

I think the Deathly Hallows is somewhat linked to Goblet of Fire- Second Task where Harry rescues Ron and Gabrielle from the merpeople. Also the word “Prospects Black” is mentioned in the merpeople riddle. So I think this is a clue to the last book where Harry will probably try to rescue Sirirus from inside the veil and the “Deathly Hallows” is like “merpeople”

Come seek us where our voices sound,
We cannot sing above the ground--- Faint Voices from the veil
And while you're searching ponder this:
We've taken what you'll sorely miss, Sirius
An hour long you'll have to look,
And recover what we took,
But past an hour ‐‐ the prospect's black,- Sirius Black
Too late, it's gone, it won't come back.-- Harry has to hurry

Old December 30th, 2006, 2:49 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
I think the Deathly Hallows is somewhat linked to Goblet of Fire- Second Task where Harry rescues Ron and Gabrielle from the merpeople. Also the word “Prospects Black” is mentioned in the merpeople riddle. So I think this is a clue to the last book where Harry will probably try to rescue Sirirus from inside the veil and the “Deathly Hallows” is like “merpeople”
ok, I think that is an interesting theory,tying the song to the veil, but how do the merpeople tie into the deathly hallows? They are definately alive, not departed souls or the voices behind the veil. Can someone clarify how exactly the deathly hallows are like merpeople?

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old December 30th, 2006, 2:52 am
Fourth Year

Great Editorial!

It is interesting that the objects are centred 1st, middle, and now possibly the end.

I believe that the horcruxes are the Deadly Hallows, especially after reading FanofLupin's post.

7 Horcruxes--thinking about the first book:

finding the diary--Snake vs. 1st obstacle in finding the stone--Fluffy

finding the ring--Dumbledore vs. 3rd obstacle--Ogre--Lockhart

if the Snake is the last horcrux--vs. Lockhart

Speculating:
As the Veil in the Department of Mysteries will be truly revealed, Harry will have to go through in order to gain more information, as the trio went through the trapdoor; Hermione's logic in going over the information Harry was given by Dumbledore and Ron's strategic planning to get past some guard Voldemort put into place will reveal themselves.

Just my two sense!

Old December 30th, 2006, 2:52 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaselqueen View Post
ok, I think that is an interesting theory,tying the song to the veil, but how do the merpeople tie into the deathly hallows? They are definately alive, not departed souls or the voices behind the veil. Can someone clarify how exactly the deathly hallows are like merpeople?

Deathly Hallows are probably the people Voldemort murdered in order to create Horcruxes (wild theory). I don't think the title is directly related to Horcruxes. Also this reminds me of priori incantatem in Gof final scene

Last edited by sriharish; December 30th, 2006 at 2:53 am. Reason: spelling
Old December 30th, 2006, 3:01 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaselqueen View Post
I'll try as I think I know where this is going.

Harry could hear voices through the Veil...

We cannot sing above the ground
the dead do not have voices as the Merpeople's words cannot be understood above the water...

We've taken what you'll sorely miss,

the living miss those that have passed on...

Harry will only have an hour to look for...

Information Harry needs in order to succeed...

But past an hour ‐‐ the prospect's black,-
Too late, it's gone, it won't come back.

Harry will be part of the dead if he stays too long.

This is my spin on the song. I hope this makes sense.

Old December 30th, 2006, 3:39 am
Banned

Some interesting theories have come out of the title of the book and this editorial and somehow they could all come together in book 7. It was good to see the other titles analysed in comparison to the book 7 title and despite what Dedalus Diggle said the author was being serious and did a good job summing up the book titles and their relationship to the last title.

Regarding the word Hallows. Remember there are several churches in the UK called All Halllows and some probably have graveyards in their grounds or people interred in their crypts.

Also remember JK telling the director of POA not to use a graveyard in the gounds at Hogwarts in the film as a graveyard will be coming in to play a later book. This means there is a graveyard at Hogwarts but not where Alfonoso wanted to put it in the movie. JK said it was somewhere else we haven't yet seen in the books.

My guess is that some of the founders are buried there and as there were four of them originally no one of them would have been the sole Headmaster/mistress. Therefore Albus was the first headmaster of Hogwarts to be buried in the school grounds. Perhaps the ghosts for each house are also buried there even if they didn't die there. As former students they may have been allowed to be buried there and so their ghosts hang around Hogwarts to be near their graves (which are usually on hallowed ground)?

Just some of my thoughts.... what do others think?

Old December 30th, 2006, 4:12 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanweasley View Post
I'll try as I think I know where this is going.

Harry could hear voices through the Veil...

We cannot sing above the ground
the dead do not have voices as the Merpeople's words cannot be understood above the water...

We've taken what you'll sorely miss,

the living miss those that have passed on...

Harry will only have an hour to look for...

Information Harry needs in order to succeed...

But past an hour ‐‐ the prospect's black,-
Too late, it's gone, it won't come back.

Harry will be part of the dead if he stays too long.

This is my spin on the song. I hope this makes sense.

I think this is an excellent spin on the song. I was thinkng the same thing actually, Im glad I finished reading the posts before I posted hehehe. I think on all Hallows eve (when the VEIL between the two worlds is the thinnest) Harry will be able to pass through the veil, but he will probably only have about an hour to do so before or else he will remain there forever. It kind of reminds me of Poltergeist.

Old December 30th, 2006, 4:27 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofLupin View Post
I'd also like to say that it was a very excellent editorial!

"I agree - I think it's an allusion to the "Hallows of Britain" which are part of lore, especially Arthurian lore. So it's all Arthuriana. Having been reading about Arthuriana a lot for my class next term, I think this: hallows there refers to the royal regalia carried by the King, or the objects sought by someone such as a Grail Quester - so modern day regalia might be things like a Scepter, Sword of State, Crown, ... . Some even say the four suits of the Tarot refer to the four Hallows.

So you have four founders, four things they left behind - they might well be "hallows". And deathly because they're Horcruxes now. Also fits the four houses, and we already know about the Sword of Gryffindor and the Cup of Hufflepuff, so ... just my two cents worth... ." - <lj user="sibylle">
You could have written this editorial instead... the editorial itself gave absolutely no insight to the title. I expected more after over a week of waiting for the first editorial on this.

Edit: I wanted to apologize to the writer of this editorial for such a brash comment. What I should have said is that the editorial did a good job of summing up the main theories regarding the book 7 title. Like many others though, I did not feel that the editorial necessarily added any new theory or gave evidence to strongly support any of the current theories. The editorial basically narrowed the deathly hallows down to a noun which is probably an object or place - which I think many of us already had guessed.

Judging from the comments on this thread, it is clear that many other people have some great ideas about the deathly hallows, and I look forward to seeing more editorials on this topic soon.

Last edited by GinIsMyHmeGrl; January 1st, 2007 at 8:15 pm. Reason: Apology
Old December 30th, 2006, 5:50 am
First Year

When I did my "research" I too was lead toward the saint portion of the hunt. Interestingly enough I was lead to the story of St. Godric. He as a genuine person who lived in the woods in England between 1050 and 1150 a.d. He was wise and his cousel was sought by various leaders including the then current pope. What I found interesting was his affinity for animals. He is most well known for hiding stags from hunters and allowing snakes to warm themselves by the fire. As JKR usually never has Harry mention something for no reason I think his trip to Godrics Hollow is going to be important. Will Saint Godric hide yet another stag as he did years ago?
Some streams have talked about Harry time turning again to perhaps go back to the night his parents were killed. I think he will. I think he will get the time turner that Fred and George have (if you read back into the books there are many instances where they know a bit too much about what will happen** the result of the Quidditch World Cup is an example) just some random thoughts from someone who has way too much time one his hands! Happy New Year!

Old December 30th, 2006, 6:40 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Not only do we know from Cuaron's experience that there's a graveyard at Hogwarts, but we also know that Dumbledore is buried on the school grounds.

I don't think "Hallows" would refer to the Horcruxes; the word means "consecrated, blessed, holy," and I can't see how Horcruxe would fall into those categories. I'm intrigued by the thought that it might be the people who were killed in order for his Horcruxes to be created.

Old December 30th, 2006, 9:02 am
First Year

Thank you, Sephia, for taking the time to write this editorial during this busy time of year. Jo's title has given us plenty to brainstorm about and you made some good points.

Happy Holidays!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial